Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

PenguinBob posted:

I have heard that the SX instruments aren't as good as the other brands that Rondo sells. I personally wouldn't trust a guitar that retails that cheap and has a quilt maple top, because it seems like a disproportionate portion of the price would be in that top.

You should be able to find a used Fender clone of some sort for that money. Check eBay and local music shops. Pretty much every guitar company has made them in the past. You could also look for Ibanez Soundgear, Epiphone T-bird, Cort, Peavey, whatever. There are plenty of serviceable basses in that price range.

I've never heard a word of good about the Squier Affinity line.

If you're going for entry-level instruments, I'd go with Ibanez.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSRM20-Mikro-Short-Scale-Bass-Guitar?sku=516148

My first bass was a squier affinity j bass and it was actually pretty good.
I don't know very much from a technical perspective but I learned to love playing on it. Still got it and even though it has all the scratches ad dents you'd expect it doesn't sound that bad with new strings on it. Heavy though.
It worked fine for 2 and a half years and I only stopped playing it a few months ago when the nut that holds the jack plug in fell off and I'd bought a Warwick Rockbass to replace it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU