Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
You should pick it up, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I suck at bass but have a compressor, Bass Big Muff, Bass Soul Food and EQ.

They sound good enough on guitar too so don't even bother to swap them out

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Turbinosamente posted:

There's a bass specific Soul Food? I have the guitar one and also the Crayon and I'm mostly certain there's no functional difference between them other than the Crayon has a prettier case. I'm nowhere near the board atm, so I'm going in circles questioning things like the utility of a tremolo and phaser or a fuzz pedal. The only thing set in stone is I have to have a noise gate; yay for LED dimmer electrical interference.

Yeah, I bought one for guitar then got a €100 amazon voucher from work, had no idea what to spend it on, then saw a bass soul food for €98.

Bass has an extra knob for blending dry and wet tone as well as a switch to adjust for higher output instruments. Sounds good enough on guitar too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5fmd2lYOqg

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Getting to below 0ºC at night and now every fret it sticking out

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I was playing my Bass VI yesterday and suddenly heard a snap as the low E detuned and came slack

I thought I'd hosed up the tuner or the nut or something.

But no.

LaBella put little plastic cubes on their strings so you can identify them and I'd strung it without ever taking it off. Then it snapped in two.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Shageletic posted:

Oh man that sucks.

Another bass vi player nice. How do you play yours? Do you use pedals? Did you change out the pickups? Overall, you using it much/how do you like it?

Oh no, the bass is fine, the strings are fine. I just broke a piece or plastic I was meant to throw away.

Paradoxically, I think it's more limited than either a regular bass or guitar. You can't play it like a baritone guitar and you can't do half the stuff you can on a normal 4-string bass. If you can find a use for its weird middle ground, though, it's a lot of fun.

I mostly run it through the usual, compressor, bass soul food or bass muff (but often clean) and then an eq, tremolo and reverb if it suits what I'm playing.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
You'll also probably be able to pick up the cello a lot easier

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Will the saddles fall out if they've got no strings to hold them down?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Got asked today which pedal I was using to make my Bass VI one octave lower.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Kind of related, I have a Bass VI, but have been looking at the shortscale Jaguar Bass. Does it offer anything the Bass VI lacks, being I think the same body with a 30" neck. If I'm okay with the 6 strings does the Jag bass have anything for me besides a different pickup config.

Lucky you I have both (Squier Classic Vibe Jaguar bass)

The Jag is a 32" scale neck and the bodies are not the same. If you want a 30" regular bass with a Bass VI body that's the Rascal bass , which is limited edition.

The thing here is that they are fundamentally different instruments, you can definitely use a Bass VI in place of a regular bass but tonally it's not the same and you can't play it the same way (string spacing makes two-finger-style playing more challenging and slapping a lot more so).

The Bass VI is really more for experimenting with different sounds and playing styles rather than being a go-to bass. You can do some really cool melodic stuff, chords etc. but compared to a regular bass the sustain is pretty bad.

The Jaguar bass has a PJ configuration, 2 volume and 2 tone, a slightly shorter scale and a Jazz Bass neck, on paper it's exactly what I wanted in an instrument and I'm very, very pleased with it.

So, the short answer to your question is: absolutely yes.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Classic Vibe replaced the Vintage Modified series, any VM Jaguar basses you see will be second hand

The main difference is the CV has a 32" vs 30" on the VM, and the CV has stacked volume/tone controls for each pickup like an original Jazz Bass whereas the VM has 2 volumes and 1 master tone like a modern Jazz Bass.

There's no pickup selector for either, it's all controlled by the volume knobs as you've guessed, which is the case for most multi-pickup configurations.

When playing, 32" is noticeably more than the Bass VI's 30" but noticeably less than a regular 34", the neck at the nut is also much narrower than on the Bass VI.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone have a rec for a headphone amp? Looking for a Christmas gift idea.

I have two for bass, a Rushhead Max and a Vox Amplug2

The Vox is barebones, feels more cheaply made and doesn't have a rechargeable battery but it gets the most use purely because it has a drum machine.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I fear not the bass player who has whacked a thousand mic stands once...

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Up until then people were playing imprecise, upright double basses, but this thing had frets

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Kevin Bacon posted:

which squiers should i look out for on the used market if i want a decent like early to mid 60s pbass vintage kinda vibe?

Classic vibe series? They specifically have a 60s model.

I can never remember if Vintage Modified came first...

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Bottom Liner posted:

Jazz Bass, P-Bass, 5 string, fretless.

Pick two, only the fretless and jazz can overlap so you can cheat there.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I tried two Thomann models to get into bass, their regular JB and a 5-string PJ.

I was happy with them but ended up selling them on.

Now I have a Squier CV Jaguar PJ and a Squier Bass VI, which cover pretty much anything I'll ever want to do.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Checking out all these videos from a channel called "oneminutebass" but the bass is just regular sized! :wtc:

Armacham posted:

Boomer says to join us

That's better.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I almost always stay around the neck pickup area, but I'd suggest practising closer to the bridge as well from time to time.

That part of the string is tenser so it's actually harder to play there if you're not used to it.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I've been playing bass for just about 3 years at his point (already played guitar) and this year I've been trying to make it a personal goal to actually get out there and meet musicians.

So today I had a two-hour "audition" with a band who've been playing together for the best part of a year and sent me a pdf with song names and chords which I practised beforehand.

Turns out the chords and song names were wrong, and I spent the first hour struggling to play with 4 complete strangers who yelled out chords on the fly that I had to a) translate from the solfège system and then b) account for the capo.

I choked more times than I count from the nerves. There are plenty of complex pieces I can play adequately enough at home but I'm terrible with an audience and just fall apart.

After the second hour I calmed down a lot and got into the swing of things a bit better and stopped feeling like I was being assessed. By the end they said I played really well and they wanted to have me.

I still feel like a fraud I'm excited to see where this goes.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
In hindsight, what swung it was probably slapping "Block Rockin' Beats" between songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Thoughts on halfwounds?

I have a PJ