Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
I'm thinking of picking up a bass and I've got my eye on a used Epiphone violin bass. Is there any reason why this would be a bad idea? I'm going to get back to the store tomorrow to give it a try, but I don't yet know how to play anything, so I don't know what to listen for. Any advice or recommendation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
Thanks Schatten for the advice. I checked it out and subsequently bought the violin bass today. I'm definitely enjoying playing this a lot more than playing guitar.

I'm slowly reading through this thread, so I apologize if this has been answered before: does anyone have any good advice/books/videos that would help me learn how to slap/pop? I watched a few videos on youtube, and I'm sort of getting the hang of it, but it almost sounds like I'm sounding off harmonics rather than actual notes. On that note, I've got a very busy university schedule this year, so I won't be able to look into getting an instructor until May, so I'd like to start teaching myself some techniques before then.

DRP Solved! fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 1, 2010

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
I want to start buying effect pedals for my bass and the bass-specific ones are looking quite expensive (and less plentiful than guitar pedals). How good do Danelectro pedals sound with a bass? Does anyone have any hints on places online that sell bass pedals?

Some more info: I'm mainly looking for some decent fuzz and delay and looking to pay less than $80 per pedal if possible.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
Perhaps some of you can help me out with this effects question: What kind of filter/envelope/other pedals should I be looking at to get a Bootsy Collins-type funk sound? I'm looking at a Micro QTron and MXR M82 on eBay, but I don't know if those will give me the sound I want. Help me goon bass-gods!