Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

anyone got any opinions on late 90s german Esh basses? probably not i imagine, but might as well ask. likewise, what about mid 2010s lakland skyline basses? i've been looking for a decent 5 string and these are 2 of my best current options i think, on the used market, though the lakland is nearly twice as much as the esh, no idea if it's worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

what have i done

couldn't quite justify spending that much on a lakland for my second ever bass and my first 5 string (even thought its probably worth it). it's an esh various from 98 - super weird little thing with a piezo PU in the bridge. but i like it. the sound fits my band very well, but it's a very different beast from my 80s schecter p-bass, so i'm having a hard time making it go funky, but i'll have to mess around with it some more to see what it can do.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

i've been looking at a new amp, with the impossible criteria of being light, loud and cheap. currently i play in a synthrock band and i'm using an old peavy basic 60 (50watt) for our rehearsals, and it doesnt sound good, but its more than loud enough. i have my eyes on an ampeg ba 112v2 combo, which is 75watt but i think the speaker cab is a little smaller. i've been looking around to see what people say about it, and i am very confused. people seem to think it's perfectly fine for rehearsals and even small gigs, some people say it's ok, but only if your band is relatively quiet, and other people say it's absolutely not enough even for rehearsals and you should be aiming for a 200w amp at the minimum. help?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

once you get a p-bass, 5 string and fretless you stop getting the urge to buy more, right?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

gently caress

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

im doing some outdoor gigs this summer with a jazz trio kind of thing, and i basically need some sort of amp setup i can bring myself on public transport, and that's not gonna murder me walking uphill.

been looking at the markbass micro, markbass mini 121 and phil jones double 4. not digging how expensive the latter two are, but ill bite the bullet if i have to. thoughts? anything else i should consider?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

bought a yamaha bbp35 a couple weeks ago, just arrived today. messed around with it a little bit at home and took it straight to a gig today, and man it sounded amazing. been playing a 4 string fat old pbass with some old-rear end flats for a month. so it was a little awkward to play, especially with the fresh very zingy and bright rounds, so i'm super excited to get settled in with this one. pretty sure i'm gonna end up throwing some flats on this one too.

but yeah, super stoked. everything i was looking for. 5 string, great p sound, nice bite with the j blended in, really nice j sound soloed as well tbh. gently caress yeah!

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I'm in a similar position and have a couple stupid questions. I've been pounding 3-finger quarter note rolls into muscle memory for my acoustic guitar by fingering along to metal basslines at work for a long while, and now I want to pick up bass because it seems like it would be fun. Does fingerpicking guitar translate at all over to bass? Also I live in an apartment so I pretty much have to be plugged into headphones all the time. Is there an easy way to do this where I can feed in some music to play along with?

i went from playing "bass" on an acoustic guitar before i got my first electric bass. i definitely thought it would help me a lot more than it did, because at least for me there are differences that makes it really disorienting. i'm sure it eased the transition from guitar to bass a little bit, but it really felt quite foreign and i definitely sucked when i started. but don't let that stop you! i've had a ton of fun learning bass these past few years, and i bet you will too :)

as for headphones, there are some different solutions. the one i'm most familiar with is a usb audio interface that goes into your pc. something like the scarlett 2i2 or scarlett solo i think its called is good, though there are probably cheaper ones that work fine. there are also pedals you can buy that let you plug headphones in and maybe some sort of aux to let you pipe music through too. there's these tiny battery driven headphone bass amps like the vox amplug which are neat, but i'm not sure if you can pass your own music through them

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

which squiers should i look out for on the used market if i want a decent like early to mid 60s pbass vintage kinda vibe?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

i did not realize they just straight up make 60s models lol. now i feel silly. thanks!

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I can't listen atm but I happen to have a clip i recorded to test something else. This is just straight line in to a scarlet 2i2 through a compressor that is disabled in the second half. Pbass pickup.

https://vocaroo.com/1jVkqmJZM50f

If your recording sounds something like that it's probably just DI sound you're not used to

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

got a chance to listen now, and to me the clip you posted sounds fine sound-quality wise. seems like you've solved it or at least that youre on the right track according to your last post though! good luck with the recording :cheers:

feel free to share any handy tips after the fact, if you find any. gonna look into recording some covers or something myself in the new year. new musical adventures!

and yeah, the infetterence is pretty messed up in that clip :v: i think i had my source audio ultrawave plugged in via usb, which makes a lot of noise

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

been obsessed with sam wilke's playing in lous cole's "thinking" live sesh thing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMI1iU7VgyI)

so i decided to spend my entire night trying to cover it as close as i could get it. after spending literal hours scrutinizing and listening over and over, i THINK i have a pretty good idea of what he is doing. during the first 30 seconds. lol. dude plays so tight and close to the vocals it's super hard to tell sometimes.

here is my one decent take: https://voca.ro/1ko8J6MkPr0p

the original puts me to shame, but i guess i am not unhappy about how close i am - though it only now dawned on me i am playing the arpeggios in the fill way too hard. also general slop.

feel free to scrutinize and tell me im doing it wrong. feel like im getting some tunnel vision

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

for fucks sake posted:

Sounds good to me! The timing sounds pretty tricky but I think you're very close. The one thing I'd say you could work on is the dynamics, while the notes are on time they don't all have the right velocity.

yea thats a good shout on the dynamics. thanks for the feedback!

Basic Poster posted:

I try to stay up on cole’s fun projects but I haven’t heard this one. If you didn’t tell me you tracked bass over the top I would not have guessed. Super jealous of your tone and to my ears that sounds like a mighty tight pocket. Great job.

wow thanks so much! you humble me! tone-wise thats a squier cv 60s pbass (which has really impressed me lol, i cant put it down) with labella ltf through an aguilar tone hammer D with a bit of overdrive, with kinda heavy compression in my daw

speaking of tone though, how does sam wilkes get his insanely crisp and snappy tone? obviously technique, and he uses rounds, tone open i imagine. OD and a lot of compression? anything else?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

hell yea! that song is sick. good choice

stoked to see the results! have fun!

id join you but i refuse to teach myself how to slap lol (nothing against slapping when its called for)

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Tone comes from your hands, which is why you should compress your hands for the best tone

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

it depends on the sound you want. where you play in relation to the bridge will change the sound: further towards the neck will produce a sound with a warmer, bassier characteristic, with less attack. towards the bridge you will get a thinner sound but with more attack, or something along those lines. play around with it and see what it sounds like!

so the advice generally is, change it up depending on when it's called for. but also if you like the sounds you are making you can't really go wrong wherever you place your hand. personally i tend to use the peanut bass pickup position, but many prefer the jelly bass pickup position

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Is it hunting bicycle people for sport?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

wow