Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
I'm at an impasse on my next purchase and could use thread wisdom. I've toured and goofed off for 15+ years on a MIC Squier Jazz that's a bit shabby on fit and finish but stays in tune and set up. A few years ago I added an MIK Epiphone Accu Bass (P clone) from the 90s into the fold. I'm loving the Epi's neck and sound....when it's set up. A very experienced and trusted tech told me the Epi has the most finicky truss he's ever seen -- that he set it up on a Wednesday and by the time I picked up on Saturday, it was out of intonation and fretting out at the 3rd and 4th. Last winter it turned into a bow & arrow in the span of a month. The Epi has a great chunky bridge and respectable electronics and fit & finish. Do I:

a) drop a high-quality neck into the Epi (I'm guessing $250+?)
b) flip it while it's set up and get a CV 60s P Bass at $480 list?
c) flip it while it's set up and get a G&L Tribute P Bass at $500-$550 list?

I'm inclined towards option C right now. I've been through a sequence of lemons on used guitars over the years, the local used selection for bass isn't lighting me up right now, and the timeless advice of "find a used MIM Fender at $500-600" leaves me lukewarm because I've seen so much range in the build quality on MIMs. I have a good first-hand opinion of the CV series based on my CV Tele. Buying a new neck could be the most frugal, but I'm getting nervous now about throwing good money after bad if something else gets funky with it. There are some gems out there from the 90s, but there's also a lot of ticking time bombs from that era. I only have a little experience with the G&L Tributes, but the bridge/electronics/fit/finish seem like a definite upgrade for not a lot of money over the CV. For anything new, I'd be waiting for a Labor Day sale or maybe even Black Friday.

I'll be playing mostly punk, garage, hardcore, etc if it is relevant to anyone's opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
Thank you everyone for the feedback and the crime you will be collectively perpetrating upon my credit card the next time there's a sale. I'll def be doing the G&L and offloading some old gear unless anything too particularly good to pass up comes to my attention.

DrChu posted:

Between the two I’d give the G&L a shot first. Almost $500 for a Squier is a bit much (considering these had street prices of $350 or less a year ago), and the Tributes seem to use much nicer wood than the Squiers (really that’s only a cosmetic thing though). Try to give an SB-2 a try if you can, the high output split coil pickup would match well with the styles of music you play.

I have a love/hate with higher output pickups, although I did watch a few vids and I haven't written this one off.

Scarf posted:

Also, I don't know if you'd be able to easily find a neck that'll fit the 90s Epi unless the neck pocket has the exact same dimensions of say a Fender.

Allegedly it'll take a Fender neck but I've had Famous Last Words with gear before and that's definitely part of my calculus towards buying new for the first time in a long time.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
Conclusion to my G&L vs Classic Vibe vs new neck dilemma from the other day

I thought I'd wait for a holiday sale event but I inexplicably found a random markdown on Reverb from a brick & mortar that just wanted to move new old stock. I got this for $480 shipped (plus tax) and it's perfect. It's technically heavy at 11 pounds but that doesn't bother me. It feels like the nicest bass I've ever touched in the sub-$1500 category. I'm actually playing at home for fun and outside of a band rehearsal context for the first time in a long time. If you are thinking about buying something new, screw it, go for it!

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
Leveled up to a GK 700rb with its matched 410 Neo today. Feeling like I stole it at $700 for the whole rig. My Peavey Tour 450 was a workhorse but it just didn't have any character and I like nasty rocknroll. Very excited for next rehearsal. Between this and the G&L Precision I got a few months ago, I'm a happy camper.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

DrChu posted:

700RB or 700RB-II?

The boost knob is where all the fun is. It’s not an overdrive, but it will give the sound an aggressive edge.

Also don’t be afraid to use the 4/5 string switch. In 4 string mode it’s a deep bass cut to make the voicing a little closer to the 800RB, the 5 string setting is a more normal full range sound.

Mark 2. I'll keep that advice in mind when I'm dialing it in.

Edit: a four hour rehearsal later and the verdict is in--this amp, it's good!

Bread Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 20, 2022

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
Bass roster
2003 Indonesian Squier Standard Jazz with Quarter Pounds dropped in. My main from 2005 to 2020.
2019 Indonesian G&L LB-100. Fully stock and the only bass I've played since like 2021.
The graveyard includes my first bass, an Ibanez Soundgear that played fast but sounded meh, and an Epiphone Accubass whose neck was at a drastically different relief every day of the week, and a couple cheapies that rotated through very briefly

What I came here to post today: a while back I bought someone's whole rig on Craigslist for a steal. It was a 4U rack case with a 2U Peavey, a Korg pitchblack, and a pretty crummy compressor. I ditched the crappy compressor immediately and eventually flipped the Peavey and his cab towards the cost of a GK 700RB head and cab. The GK at 1U plus the tuner results in a big head case that's half empty. I'm debating building/buying a smaller case and borrowing my bandmate's compressor pedal (not currently using one but acknowledging it should be in my rig) VERSUS picking up a good rack mount compressor and a...???? Is there anything else 1U-sized that's worth having in a rack case? No interest in wireless, no interest in a power conditioner. Downsizing the head case is making the most sense, but just checking for anything I don't know about.

UPDATE: I'm an idiot and that GK is a 2U. No clue how I started thinking it was a 1U.

Bread Dragon fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 27, 2024

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

heyou posted:

I wanted to ask a recommendation for a budget amp. Has anything come onto the market since the op that would be a better choice?

The current generation of Fender Rumble has become pretty ubiquitous in local bands playing garage, bar rock, pop, country, and jazz. Usually the Rumble 100. If you decide to explore other amps later, you'll be able to offload it easily. The 100 is $330 on Sweetwater and they have enough muscle to jam with other musicians, which is my personal number one tip for learning—dive in, get hooked, be kind of bad but have fun, have a desire to keep playing and then supplement with education and come to understand what you're doing. Starting purely academically seems to frequently result in a potential musician listing their gear on Craigslist a few months later. But different strokes for different folks.

You can beat it on price with something local and used but without knowing your market, I'll leave that alone.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

heyou posted:

I found a peavey max 150 listed for $80, seller says it cuts out at high volumes. I'm pretty handy with electronics and I'm willing to blow $80 if I can at least practice with it. Terrible idea? Otherwise locally it looks like fender rumble 100s are going for $200-250.

I've owned and enjoyed many Peaveys but I would pass on it, if you have the means to save an extra $150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

ethanol posted:

are the fender vintera ii jazz basses good? the lake placid blue with rosewood is my thing

If you can play one, check out the G&L Tribute JBs. Fit, finish, and hardware on my G&L Tribute P runs circles around any Fender MIM and even most MIJs I've played in my personal experience, and they're available in lake placid blue with rosewood. I'm an absolute fanboy for them now and I might pull the trigger on an MIA next year.
G&L *do* trend heavy