Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Guess who got an old worn out double bass for free

It was being thrown out, just into a skip/dumpster and I rescued it

I studied jazz guitar for a year back a decade or so ago so im not lost on a fretboard and with sheet. I have just been having the greatest time walking by it and plucking away

Been doing my best to get a walking bass line down and have been having success,

I've become that guy in the neighbourhood with a loud instrument, and I'm determined to have it sound better than a handfull of riffs, so I'll probably need a bow at some point

Jestery fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Hell yeah. I can't really tell from the photo but it seems to be in decent shape, just a few dingers from beginner bow use. Is the sound post still in place?

Yep, I had a quick look and it's all playable, its clearly taken a couple bumps and knocks but everything is still there and playable

A tune up on the action might be needed but that's about it, otherwise it's pretty sick.

My goal is be able to decode and reproduce this sort of "walking+singing" thing as a genre rather than a performance
https://youtu.be/9nqC9rrS82A?si=r3q_GRcgkTRGH9FU

An it's taking me like a week or two and Im half way there for one song

I know it's treble, baby steps here, it's been a decade since I did anything like this

I'm wildly tempted to paint it tbh, but i know I would gently caress it up

Edit:
It's getting serious

Jestery fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 20, 2023

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Yeah, I agree with not touching it

However I hate pinstripes

I'm technically minded enough to build a 4 string washtub bass and I figure I'll just personalise that when I do

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

How exactly does a p bass differ from , say, the beginner bass I played decades ago?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I honestly couldn't tell you anything more than

It was entirely playable and sufficient to play on, but literally anything would be an upgrade. I think it cost maybe 200-300 dollars.

I'm not much of a tonehead/gear head and just play what sounds acceptable to me , but I've seen that they have a reputation, and I'm wondering if there is anything concrete in the manner of construction or setup that differentiates it from a well made bass guitar. Or is it just cultural concensus that whoever has the licence to build P-basses just does so consistently well

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Solumin posted:

"P bass" means it has a single humbucker pickup, usually in the middle position, often a split coil. The style is named after the Precision bass, and a lot of p basses have similar body shapes to this day. It's not a licensing thing.

The other major style is J or Jazz bass, which has 2 single coil pickups.

The hybrid PJ bass is probably the third most common, if I had to guess.

Huh, fair enough

Odd name but I guess everything is weird when you scratch the surface

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Laserface posted:

It's Precision bass, not simply P bass. Op left that out.

Nah I've picked up that much

But my confusion was like, my beginning bass didn't seem "imprecise" enough to warrant such a reputation for precision Basses, and I figured that like a 5 grand bass used by a session musician would be precise enough, but not be called a p-bass

Now I know it's like , a mould created by the first well engineered electric bass from a well renowned company , created in the context of historical widespread double bass use it makes sense

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Well I think I'm gunna make a washtub bass if I pursue playing in a band, just more portable

I really want to try and make a two string that has tunable strings, but still uses the lean of the stick to play different notes

Do y'all reckon the two strings would stay in relative tune with each other as they are being stretched or is this a bad idea

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Probably not, unless your pivot is perfectly squared up (even then I'm not sure). Also, most tuning mechanisms rely on maintaining tension, meaning if you lose tension at any point, the string could unwind at the peg.

I'm not concerned about the tuning mechanism, I have built one of these before
http://www.cyberferal.com/UncleBob/design.html

and the tuning system is as solid as anything commercial and should be static enough, a valid problem i had not considered though

Thats a good point about the pivot point though, i will consider it deeply before I move ahead

Im a tall bugger so something like a 1.5-2m long neck might just be a better idea and I can deal with that as it comes

Thank you

Jestery fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 27, 2024

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

So I'm going ahead with my two string washtub

Ive engineered a limit that should keep everything in line and return home, after dicking about with my upright , the potential utility of two strings is too attractive to not try it out for the price atleast as a proof of concept that is sub 20 dollars to make

Just being able to play dyads is amazing for the type of music I like

So watch this space

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Well V1 to get my head around it

Plays traditionally and fretted so sick

Its tuned to an open E, the intonation is a bit fucky obv, but its fun nonetheless. It's simple enough to compensate for

Just need engineer a second string and I'll be off to the races

Ended up using a castor wheel to keep it in line, and it seems to work well enough

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Yeah, experiment with everything and find what works, if it causes discomfort or pain cease. Other than than find you groove

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I've been loving about on the double bass with a little slap for rythymic percussion on the off beat

Doesn't always sound good but every so often it gets that sound right

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Planning out my washtub upright

Watch this space, I'm making a bass

Edit:

Doing a proof of design with some pallet pine wood I had lying around

Glad I made the mistakes with the cheap stuff

Jestery fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 13, 2024

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Look at him go!
https://youtu.be/052CAGUxQjQ?si=rS2XT4TTxbDBBUvN

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

My homemade bass is coming along

Or atleast starting to look the part

I even radiused the fretboard and bridge

Not expecting amazing things acousticly, but I have a piezo pickup I'm going to install once it is strumming away and hopefully I have something I can take to slam poetry nights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Well she's strung up with trimmer line that is stretching out, and I need to Install the piezo

But it works, and will be sufficient enough to perform at open mic poetry nights

So loving sick people