Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Pinky
Mar 8, 2002
I've got a question about upgrading to a better bass and I'm hoping I can use this thread for it. If everyone would rather I take this to a different thread, please let me know. Anyway...

I've been playing my first (and only) bass since about '97. It's a Peavey Milestone II (P-bass copy) and it's pretty good. The pickups aren't the best and it doesn't have much in the way of tonal ranges, but it gets the job done.

I'm working on getting into a semi-serious metal band and I'm looking to move up to something nicer. My budget would be limited to about $600 or less I'm afraid. I know that's not much to work with in the bass world.

So my question is, would upgrading to a new bass be worth my time (with my budget in mind) or would my money be better spent in upgrading the electronics/pickups of my current bass? I don't dislike my Peavey, but the electronics do leave something to be desired. If I do upgrade to a new bass, what would some recommendations be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pinky
Mar 8, 2002

PenguinBob posted:

Are you needing to get an amp as well? For just an instrument, $600 should be plenty.

Actually, I will need an amp too. I'd planned on getting the Behringer Ultrabass BXL3000. I'm told it's both decent sounding and fairly loud for small to mid-sized gigs. Not sure how accurate those testimonials are though (but that's another thread).

If I keep the Peavey, new pickups are a must. Everywhere I look everyone seems to agree with you about the quarter pounders. But the bigger problem with the bass is the wiring in general. I have a noticeable "hum" due to a bad ground somewhere and most of the wiring/electronics are just cheap and crappy. I'd want to re-wire the whole thing, but I'm not to savvy in that department. Would it be much trouble to re-do all of it while I'm there switching out pickups?