Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

casibanita posted:

What kind of strings are you guys using? I just bought and Ernie Ball Hybrids and put them on and I'm not a big fan of the "twang" I'm getting with them. I play just about every style and slap and pop alot, so can anyone give me advice on a new set of nice deep strings?

Depends what you mean by deep.

For my P bass, I have a set of La Bella flats which provide a nice round bass tone.

For my Warmoth (outfitted with sadwosky electronics), I recently obtained a set of D'Addario Chromes. They are a little lighter than I wanted, but they were free (SXSW back in March). I have always opted for heavier gauge strings, but these... the sound they make... incredible. Deep, colored, pingy thumps all over from a single pluck.

Other basses - I usually go for the DR black beauties (for looks, but certainly not tone) or the plain DRs, which I've always loved out of the box.

I've been through cheaper strings and stings that just didn't hold up. I'd say, spend the extra dough on a set of strings, and you probably will not have to change them for a long time. You can also use the boil for 15 minutes method to refresh strings but it doesn't last that long thereafter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Mack,

Not familiar with the individual models of the Ibanez's, but if you are looking for a J bass, I would suggest looking for used MIM's - they turn up in your price range and are easily upgradable but work very well out of the box, even used and especially set up properly. I've owned a few of them and gigged them many times. They hold up very very well and have that great J growl.

Only issue I have with the J's (which I still have one, but not MIM), turning the volumes up all the way on both pickups to eliminate the hum of the single coils.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
thegloaming - I have a few recommendations for you.

1) tascam mp3 bass trainer: http://www.google.com/products?q=ta...snum=1&ct=title

I think I picked mine up for about $140 on ebay.

2) if you want a small practice amp, I do have a small amp that is 100watts. It is an old early 80's Gallien Kreuger 200MB. I believe it is a 10". Has chorus, 4 band eq and compression. I need to part with it. The thing is small!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Akur0 posted:

new bass player on the block, I've been self teaching myself for about three months so far and my biggest gripe is speed in general.

I've been working with 1234's but so far it's only doing so much, or maybe I'm not practicing them enough. would anyone have other means of increasing muscle memory?

Metronome. Metronome. Metronome. Speed isn't as important as being on time. Keep at it, just like in any sport or skill, take it slow and get it right before taking it at full speed.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Akur0 posted:

hey everyone I'm thinking about buying this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...WELAID=66754907

but I saw this first
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rockman-Bass-Ace-Headphone-Amp?sku=180252&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26019000

which one should I stick with?

and also, why don't we have a bass thread if we have plenty of bass players present?

I'd get neither. Save your dollars and get this: http://www.google.com/products?hl=e...snum=1&ct=title

It's the Tascam Mp3 bass trainer. I have one, and I've had the Rockman too. This trumps it.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Akur0 posted:

appreciated, also I'm thinking about buying some new strings.

I read in bass player magizine that D&R black beauties are 1 on thier list. are they really that good, or is it nothing but hype?

I have a set on one of my basses and a few spare sets of them. I dig them, but in comparison to regular DRs, they don't have a certain ring that I have always dug about DRs. I've been diggin the D'Addario Chromes. They are quite bright but quite colorful. It all depends what you are looking for, which you might find in the black beauties.

On the right bass, with black hardware, they look cool. =)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Xankrys posted:

Stupid newbie question: Is it bad to slap near the bridge? Every video tutorial i've seen has said to slap near the neck, right by where it joins the body, but i just cannot slap there.

I get a good solid slap tone from slapping below the pickup, close to the bridge, but I wanted to make sure that it's not some sort of taboo thing or something.

On what kind of bass? I don't think anything is taboo. Heck, sometimes my technique is thrown out the door with bad hand placements, but it doesn't matter so long as the communication between you - the musician - and the audience is met.

And while there are no limits to what you can do, there are limits to what you should. It depends on hand placements that can bring up ill results - tendinitis and the like.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Frog Strips posted:

When I am playing the quick notes I have a problem with the string hitting the fret lines. I try to play the strings at a perpendicular angle. But I still get the clicking from the string moving a way I do not want it to. Do I need to have the strings raised or something?
You mean they hit the frets in a Steve Harris hitting frets with flatwounds style? Depends what you are playing. Most of the time, not so good. If you intend on fixing that problem, slow it down, get it right. Slow it down with a metronome. No, slower. That's the only way I see you correcting the issue for a cleaner sound.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
zincaito - your expectations were a bit high, but also understood. The dual singles in the jazz pickups are going to be that way unless you put something else in there. I've had a few MIM Jazz's before and they seem to be this way. It doesn't make it any more versitile, they will just make a bit of hiss. The only other jazz pickups I've used are EMGs and Sadowskys, and I never had a problem with hiss after trimming out sine bridge or neck volume.

The MIM or American Jazzs are 34" scale like most everything else out there. MIMs are from the same stock as the American Jazz basses. They ship the lesser grade quality woods down to Mexico where they are built. Quality control is an issue. Some things don't line up well. However, I will say, they can be great players which you will never have to worry about dings or scratches for the dollar amount you spend on one.

You can also pick up a used MIM for around 300, if not 225 on craigslist or ebay.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
The jazz neck you are looking at getting on the MIM will be no different than the Squier.

Besides the Hofner, try playing some of the Ibanez necks. A few Carvins I've played and owned had thinner necks near the body. Try to pick up different basses, even ones that do not appeal aesthetically to you. Just try to pick out some of the things you want in that ideal bass. But at a sub-500 budget, going used will be your best bet.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Akur0 posted:

I have a question, I've been trying to play around and learn some songs but unfortunetly I've been chasing things that are way above my skill level.

so far I'm learning *almost learned* possum kingdom by the toadies, could anyone reccomend some really really easy bass tablatures for a novice such as myself.

How are you learning the songs which are above your head?

Have you tried a slow downer app for mp3s, or even a bass trainer to slow down the song and work on it? Is it the speed? If so, slow it down, get it down at half or even a quarter of the speed it is at. Divide up the song into sections and make sure you master each section. Are you looking at this? http://www.bassmasta.net/t/toadies/119646.html

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
pantsfish - can you post a picture? You can work around limitations. While it is a general rule that you need to spread out your fingers among four frets (or more), it doesn't always work out that way. Does it hold on the d or g strings?

If it hurts that bad, it is time to hold back on using it for a bit. Signs of carpal tunnel? That can effect the pinky.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
That's one big cyst! What's the story with it?

I'm not a nitpicker when it comes to technique, so others might chime in. Your thumb, is it in the middle of the neck? Or does it wrap around in the lower frets?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
It can be a bad setup, but if you aren't used to playing bass, it can be the strength in your hands. Properly tuned, like a guitar, lighter gauge strings will be easier to work with.

Unfamiliar with either bass, but you can I'd try both plugged in. Some cheaper models use cheaper pickups. Plugged in will determine the sound.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Archr5 posted:

So far I really like this. The J bass needs a little work, the knobs need to be replaced because they're all pointed in different directions when they're turned till they stop and one of them feels loose.
The knobs have a set screw. Should be a small flathead. Loosen, adjust in the right direction, then tighten. No need for replacements.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

oxbrain posted:

...stuff...

oxbrain is a bassist as well?!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Fair price should be about 50 bucks, give or take a ten. It really depends on the bass itself. An MIM P can be very sturdy and reliable as hell, but I've seen a few that need a bit of setup. I'd also suggest getting some new strings on the bass (before or during the setup), but be careful when it comes to gauges.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I've had EMG selects in the past, but cannot recall how they sound. I eventually moved up to an EMG JJ set, which I really loved before moving on.

There's a huge group of SX lovers over at talkbass.com, and recommended upgrades too. I'd suggest describing what you want to hear out of the bass and get recommendations that way.

Regarding stringing up the bass, just make sure you are winding down on the peg itself, so it brings tension from the tuner to the top nut. Every now and then I see someone who doesn't do this and there is a resulting buzz effect on the frets.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I don't think you'll need a thumbrest with that bass. Your thumb will either be anchored by the pickup (bridge or neck or alternating depending on the sound you wish to produce), or it will be floating. Head on over to talkbass.com and look into "floating thumb". Many people prefer it, but I'm too used to old ways to change.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Also, are you sure you need a six string? They can be heavy and can kill your back if you don't have the proper straps.

Also, flatwounds, while great sounding, don't work on every bass out there IMO. They are also strung a little tighter due to how they are built. The tension will be _t_i_g_h_t_. I'd suggest sticking with non-flatwounds for a while.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

The Decade is probably in my #2-3 spot for basses I want.

Maybe I just need to see it in person. It just looks like a mesh/mess of other bits. Classic P bass neck, MM bridge, Jag~ish/SG~ish body. Not sure what to think of it really.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Be patient on the fretless craigslist postings. They don't come up often, but when they do, they are cheaper than the regular MIM Jazz's. I've bought and sold a few over the years. The last one was an all black MIM Fretless Jazz. Played very well. Lined, which is essential for a beginning fretless player.

But if you are looking to upgrade to one main bass, just go with a MIM Jazz. That's the best pick, and most versatile bass on your list.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

dissin department posted:

Just a quick question for any dudes who might have one; the Ibanez Soundgear series. Are they as absolutely loving great as they seem in the store? I've played at least five different ones and they were all amazing.

Never owned one, played many. Had teachers with them too. They are that good.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Jan posted:

MIM Fender J-bass
Ibanez SR700
Warwick RockBass

Amp-wise:

SWR Workingman 15 (local store is clearing one for $480 CAD)
Ampeg BA115
Acoustic B200
The first and second choices will give you a good versatile sound. The rockbass will have the warwick sound. It is nice, but the build quality in comparison to hte others is lacking for the dollars you are spending. I had one for a while, a five string rockbass. Very pretty, solid, but I would not gig with it.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
FM means flamed maple.

Unsure on the Gio part.
http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/Series-gsr

Schatten fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 20, 2009

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
4x10's have a much different sound than 15's. Also, they usually weigh more. Just watch what you need to lug around.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
What kind of venues will you be playing?
I'd say, even with a 50w guitar amp, you'll need 300 watts of bass. But don't do the math and think you need 30,000 watts for 500 watts of guitar amp.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

rockear posted:

On the other hand, I would be wary of that home built amp. As far as I know, Pyle makes car audio speakers. Nothing you would want to use in a bass amp. Maybe see if he'll part with just the head, or save yourself some trouble and get the Rumble.
Pyle makes a good bass speaker. Not great, but it is a good bass speaker.

I built a cabinet with my neighbor, a wood craftsman, when I was 15. It still sounds good. Cabinet was shaped like an old Fender cabinet from the 80's (current at the time), which was a box, but the mount for the speaker was angled back, and sloped another angle from there, where the air would push out of the top port hole. Interesting design.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

No real experience with this book, but if it's coming from Ed Friedland, it's bound to be pretty drat good. I'm actually thinking about picking this up myself as a nice little refresher.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BassGuitarMag

Ed has some sick skills.

I have one of his books on walking bass lines. Great format and cd to accompany it. He's also a great teacher too. I had the pleasure of being his student for a few months some time ago.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Nada Scarf. I do prefer his format and how it is layed out over the other Hal Leonard/Mel Bay books. It seems to build upon each as a stepping stone. But this is just what I prefer.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Jan posted:

Having only owned one bass so far, I'm not very good at defining tones. I'm trying to get something, uh... twangy? I'm thinking like the intro riff to Megadeth's Peace Sells.

Roughly how would you get something like that with a three band equalizer and/or some effects?

Depends what you are playing through. At this point, strings and a pick.
Dave Ellefson has some great chops.

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidellefson
http://mrlamius.blogspot.com/2009/06/bass-interview-with-dave-ellefson.html

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Seventh Arrow - great review!

I haven't had too much time to spend on the new-to-me Reverend 5L (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2212134&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=216#post362198572), but here are my initial impressions:

Just received yesterday, threw on some new super long D'Addario Pro Steels. Have not set it up properly yet, but initial feel is a very rich bottom with the two angled J pickups. The 35" scale is a big plus on a five string. There isn't a surprising "oh, that's the B string" sound like I get when I play on my other five or six.

In time, I'll see if I can get some sound samples. I've been meaning to do that, and unfortunately, sold off and bought a few more basses.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I ordered it as well. =)

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Love that finish! Gorgeous!

I just wish they would work for me, but they don't. I've tried and tried to make them work when picking them up and trying them out at bass emporium. =/ Something about the neck, just not for me.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Seventh Arrow posted:

Billy Sheehan also uses three-finger technique. I think possibly Alphonso Johnson does as well.

This should be mentioned along with Scarf's descriptions in the OP:

Billy Sheehan's three finger technique is all about speed and consistency. His theory is to use the first three fingers and bend them at the second knuckle. When bent, the fingers are all the same length creating an even pattern for striking notes. This is illustrated in his own lesson here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruTSsawJpcU

Also...

Thumbing technique - used in a lot of reggae and also used by Sting. Using the outside of the thumb, push down to create the notes, but not down into the bass guitar itself. Place palm of hand on the E-string and bridge creating a muffled or muted tone. In Reggae form in a lsson from Ed Friedland here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-dAZrBlGOY Ed also has a lesson on palm muting, which utilizes the thumb here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYceQadUXTI

Also...

Regarding floating thumb technique - link to this video by Todd Johnson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU

Schatten fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 10, 2009

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

thegloaming posted:

Also, I just realized that a big problem with my fretting technique was that the bass was hanging too low on the strap. Because of the way my strap's designed, even the shortest setting isn't short enough for me, so I'm going to have to buy a new strap. For now, I'll just sit down when I practice.
I require a shorter strap than usual on most of my guitars and basses. But I still sling a little low and vary in length depending on what I'm playing and how I'm playing it. When buying a strap, sling it over your shoulder and see if it is short enough. If it is a heavy bass, you should look into the comfort strap or something similar.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

If it's actually 35" scale length then yeah, you could stand to switch to a heavier gauge, but it wouldn't be absolutely necessary imo.
Unsure how to interpret his comment on the 1" larger either. If it is a 35" scale bass, he'd (most likely, but bass dependent) require 'super long' strings.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

PenguinBob posted:

the pot, or just the knob itself?

Is it just loose? You can tighten it.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
For those of you in the market, Musicians Friend Fender Friday deal is a Geddy Lee jazz bass with a Fender B-DEC amp for $799. It's a pretty solid bass and not a bad deal at all. You must call in for this deal and it is today only, or until stock is depleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Can you post up pictures? Might be interested if it has a maple neck.