Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

You mean fretboard? Because pretty much every Fender ever made has a maple neck. Chances are the fretboard is rosewood. Rw was the big thing for fender beginning in the early 60s.

When saying maple neck, it is pretty much implied fretboard wood. I have basses with ebony, pau ferro, and a handful with rosewood, I'd just like a P with maple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Macrame_God posted:

Well, I wasn't planning on actually getting it, I just wanted to know if anyone was familiar with the thing. Also, are the replicas from Rondo any good? I heard somewhere that they produce a rather lousy sound.

They are hit and miss. The sounds aren't that great, but will be fine for a first bass. Some experienced bassists take the SX basses and mod them with better electronics.

The Ashborys are a niche instrument, and will *only* make audible sounds when plugged in. The strings, just rubber bands, need to be cared for as well, or they will dry out, get gritty and break.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

Other than that, there isn't much you can do other than just trying to tastefully fill space. Let your notes sustain a bit longer. Think of it as an opportunity... you have a lot more space to play around and try some more melodic basslines.
Honestly, it is tricky in rock. You have that open space, and freedom to be heard, but it comes with a double-edge sword. Without the second guitarist, your notes will stand out much more, especially during those guitar solos. Be clean. Be on time. That means, boring stuff with a metronome, which will help!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

scuz posted:

:( That's a drag. I'll just have to find a used one somewhere, or figure out which pickups it uses and just buy those v:shobon:v

Also, ebay has my dream amp and I hope the dude plans on selling it to me :dance:

I love those 800RBs! They rock! But I got into bass in the 80's so what do you expect? =D

Odd about the Geddy prices. I got an offer to trade my Jag for one, but it never clicked as 'awe' when playing one in GC. Great fast neck, and great sounds, but something just didn't feel "it" for me at least. If you are looking for one, I can get you in touch with the guy that was trying to trade me. It is a year old this Dec and I think he'll let it go for cheaper than a new one (old price new one).

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

If you weren't up for solely cash I was gonna offer my p-bass for the jag :kiddo:

I found a picture of your threesome with the Ibanez in it. A 72, very tempting, but then, what I've been looking for popped up and I'm working on unloading some gear to obtain it through my gear-only-funds.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I don't want to jinx it until it is a solid done deal. =)

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Schatten posted:

Well... I didn't jinx it, but I didn't win it. Here it is if you wanted to know: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130335641505&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

The guy had it on RickResource.com and didn't get any bites. He lowered it and before I could get a response, he put it on the bay. I could have had it for 1300 shipped too! The prices on Ricks are coming down because people are trying to move them but the money isn't there.

Currently selling off some gear, bringing in a few more pedals... I should do a review sometime soon. Lots of different OD pedals for guitar/bass and a few nifty things inbound as well. In another year, I'll probably sell all of em. =)

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

Tried the EHX Bass Big Muff?

Got one of those along with a few other pedals in trade for my old iPhone. The settings are subtle, but I've mainly played the guitar through it. Big plus - the settings can either be crunchy throughout the range (typical for dist/muffs), or you can set it where there will be the bottom end of the bass range is left slightly untouched. Not like a Pog/MicroPog. If you've ever ran distortion through a bass rig, it will kill some of teh lows, but with this, it holds on quite well. I need do do sound clips and maybe some small video. In time... in time...

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

scuz posted:

The sort of fuzziness I was after is much like this, but I'm a little apprehensive about buying a Boss ODB-1, which I guess is what makes that bass sound like that.
Cool sound.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

black_mastermind posted:

So, if the wait on a Rick is two years, and they can charge whatever they want for one, how is someone who has never played one before supposed to decide they want to wait that long and spend that much? I've never seen one in a store to try out. I guess if I bought one and didn't like it I could flip it quickly enough, but the whole thing seems kind of silly. Of course, none of that stops me from wanting one.

Are they that big of a deal?

Yes, and No and maybe so.

I sold my 06 4003 about a year ago, and looking to get another one. Searching for that right one. That black on black was... it, but my funds said it wasn't. Look at craigslist, search search search and you might find a deal.

Are they that big of a deal? Yes and no. A bit of a novelty to some, and to others, a way of life. To me, not much of either. You can look on Rickresource.com - sign up, log in, and you can see the for sale section there. However, since it is a specialty site, they know what they are selling and the prices are still above 1500 for most, and above 3000 from collectors. I've seen some undesirable colors can go as low as 1100 on talkbass.

I dig the way some look, don't care for how they feel (sorta sharp edges), lightweight, don't care for how they play - awkward right hand placements (not a floating-thumb guy), skinny neck (reminds me of an old Carvin I had from the early 80's where the top nut and highest fret width are almost the same), but the classic rock sound is where its at. If you play one, don't just play it unplugged. You must plug it in with some volume. It is passive, and the bridge is... oh yea, not the best. Repairs/setups should be done by someone who knows Rics. With a dual trussrod and set necks, they can be twitchy. Heavy strings? Not advised for 4001 models. 06 and beyond, has a pull pot which can emulate the classic Chris Squier sound.

A good illustration of what you should expect to hear:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4uMSbymXpM
Hear that rumble? Hear the slight low tones, but more dirty mids in the mix? that's what it sounds like.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
In the market as well. Pondering a Line 6 KB37 Studio.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

emonkey posted:

However they tune in drop-b (metal band) and most of the 5-string sets I see go to around .130-.145 for the lowest b string and none of the 4 string sets go this low. If I just bought a 5-string set and threw the heaviest 4 strings on would that snap my bass neck?
You can also get a hipshot d-tuner. I have one on a bass and it works very well. But it does get a little flappy at times. With some grunge overdrive, that is cleaned up in a live setting. Watch out on heavier strings and set it up correctly. I have parts from a bass neck when I wanted that heavier, thicker sound. =(

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
p.s. - picked up an MTD Grendel today. Gotta clean it up and get it set up correctly with new strings. Otherwise, a very lightweight bass. I probably will not keep it for too long unless it starts to sing to me.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

emonkey posted:

Where would you even find a replacement nut in that size?

Also do people actually drop-tune a bass guitar? What would be the advantage of that?
Use a file, carefully. Take off little bits at a time to make it fit.

What kind of bass is this?

And yes, I use the d-tuner on one of my basses every so often.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
If it is a cheap neck, watch it closely over the next few weeks and months. The extra tension will cause intonation to be off (first symptom) and you might notice the fretboard to twist and warp. This isn't to say it will happen. It might not at all.

Regarding the nut - go easy. Otherwise, a replacement can be found at stewmac, but you'll have to cut it yourself if there isn't a direct swap for it.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Schatten posted:

I'm bumping this because... I have been offered the bass even though it sold to someone else on ebay, who doesn't have the funds. Deal being made tonight or tomorrow. Oh yes... oh yes!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Tarwedge posted:

Thanks, I'll look at some alternative stuff. I already figured tuning by ear isn't optional, but it IS pretty close to impossible when you've owned and held an actual bass guitar for all of about half an hour with no prior instrument experience :) I'm sure I'll pick it up.

I gotta also recommend a TU-2 tuner. Best investment and it holds value very well if you ever need to sell it. On the used market, they can go for as low as $50, but usually average around $70, and those would be shipped prices.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
It is difficult to bite the bullet the first time, but you realize it is just like tools in the garage: spend the extra so you will only buy the tool once.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

Only downside to the boss TU-2 or any stomp-tuner is that the accuracy is usually worse than a nice rackmount unit. The TU-2 is accurate to +/- 3 cent where as my Sabine RT-7100 rack tuner is down to +/- 1 cent.

Good to know. Any thoughts on the Peterson Strobe Tuner? I've used the flips on stage side. Have not used one of their pedals.

There's also this option for the iPhone/iPod touch: http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=150&page=1
9.99 for the app, 12.99 for the cable. Still cheaper than a cheap tuner.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Interesting comparison: Strobo Stomp II VS Turbo Tuner ST-200 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bY9H7ec6_0

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I usually worry about personality conflicts myself.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

scuz posted:

Anyways, small/light/loud immediately brings MarkBass to mind. Go try them out at a GuitarCenter to see if they're your cup-o-tea. I don't like MB because I play punk music and don't think their sound is aggressive enough.
I agree with this. They are pretty clean and pretty clear, providing the best sound of your actual bass through an amp. Only mild coloring, but there are some great sounds you can get out of them. However, if you are a pedal player, and color your sounds through various pedals, it will work fine. I have the 2x10 combo and it weighs in at 42#'s.

If I wanted to get an classic aggressive sound, I would opt for the GK, or even a Trace Elliot. I just sold the former, but still have a TE head - which is thick, meaty, but weighs a ton to haul around.

Also, I received the Ric 4003 recently and will get some better pictures soon. It is strung with 50-110's - which is quite heavy. Not sure if I'll swap them out... I'm thinking I need some DR blacks to go with the full black out bass. =D

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Rashomon posted:

Here's something I'm ashamed to not know, as a Fender guy -- Do P and J basses have the same neck pocket? Can you plop a J neck on a P bass, no problem?

I have not done it, but yes, they are interchangeable.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

scuz posted:

Post that poo poo immediately! The pics that you posted earlier were okay, but I want some close-ups; that is a sexy bass, sir.

done. =D
see other thread.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
New gear thread? Nah. I'll post it in bass specific. Vids from a cousin of mine who's been working for Alfred most of his life. He sent me a few DVDs. I should ask for more. =)

http://twitpic.com/o2sol

He's a drummer, percussionist, composer. Unfortunately, he doesn't play drums too often, but when asked if he has a set laying around, well he has a few. Including an old kit that once belonged to Louis Bellson in his garage.

Schatten fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 3, 2009

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Duck and burger posted:

I'm needing a bass for some mostly metal-ish stuff without too round a bass tone. To match my guitar, the tunings would be like Ab Eb C G, B F# D G, maybe even G D Bb F. Obviously, that's crazy low (keeping it an octave below guitar), with large interval skips, and I'd rather do it without five strings if possible. Is that a doable endeavor? Any recommendations for bass models, pick-up models, etc?

I've been thinking about this after you posted it. Not my forte, but there are a few four string basses tuned BEAD. Those would have a strong enough neck to look into heavier strings. With a standard 34" scale, the strings will sound floppy.

The other thought, is not as heavy. A baritone style guitar - or perhaps take a bass tuned to ADGC, tune it however you wish, and use a MicroPog to emulate a lower octave for bottom end?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Dirtyhat posted:

I'm sorry but I have my MIM Fender Jazz tuned to BEAD just fine, the B is fine, nothing is floppy, with .130 string guage (I think). Duck and burger try some DR Lo-Rider strings, or anything with a hex core for some extra tension in the B.

Reread his question. Not tuning to BEAD. Tuning lower. More flop.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Bobby_Wokkerfella posted:

Is there a huge difference in the playability/tone between an otherwise equal Jazz Bass and a Jaguar Bass? From my understanding the Jag is basically a Jazz with a fancy body and a bit more versatility in what you can do with the pickups.

Like Scarf, I've had extensive experience with these as well. Only somewhat with the Jag, because it didn't feel right for me. Very cool bass, just not for me and I'll get to that in a bit.

Body - the Jag body feels smaller than a normal Jazz body.
Neck - Jag is slimmer, feels much better, and has also a vintage orange tint. (note orange tint here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whoapower/3956079231/in/set-72157604159710697/)
Electronics - On the Jag - active or passive, there's a switch for it, but the bass and treble controls should be set and then not messed with. Great punchy bass and not so tingy highs, but how these are controlled is not quickly adjustable IMO. I prefer standard knobs.

On the Jazz - passive, unless you opt for an active deluxe model. Either sounds great, but they are very different in sounds. Passive J's give that classic J growl to it. Active J's can be a little more refined and modern sounding. If you use pedals, some active bass sounds aren't effected much. (i.e. - Electronix Submarine doesn't do much on my active basses)

Playability - both play great. The Jag feels better with fingers or a pick. Neck is much faster and feels better. However, even if I don't play slap in a band, I'll still want to on my own. In those cases, the Jag doesn't work for my right hand. The back of my hand will hit the controls, or turn a pickup off accidentally. This isn't typical though and is probably due to my long term poor playing technique.

I've had a few Jazz basses in the past, but ever since I picked up a Warmoth in a dinky-J configuration, the body feels much more comfortable for my body size. If a different body is desired in the future, you can always swap that out. And that should also help you determine the color you desire as well. Like the Hot Rod Red Jag pictured above, it has a matching headstock which I do love. But I'm unable to swap out the body for a different color and leave the headstock red. (cause I'm picky or just vain like that)

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
drat. Stop that Scarf! I'm GAS free right now! Stop... stop I say!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

scuz posted:

I know I can get a jazz bass body with a musicman-pickup route from warmoth, but they don't have a musicman pickup route option for their jazz bass pickguards. Does it not matter since the "sweet spot" is lower than where the pickguard will be? I want a surf-green MusicMan but they don't goddamned have that color in the Ernie Ball factory :argh:

Hmmm... I know a few people over at Ernie Ball. I'm sure with dollars, they'd make you anything you'd want.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Dyna Soar posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Highway One model p-basses? They're n my pricerange and I really want a p-bass, just not sure if I should save money for a high-end model. I'd rather get a new bass sooner than later.

What year? What price range?

I had an 06, which was the updated neck (graphite reinforcement) & BadAss II bridge with slots. Outfitted with LaBella flats, it saw many gigs, recorded an album with it, a great great player.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

combee posted:

...words...

Interesting synopsis, but even as a salesman at a shop, the best product is the one with the largest margin of profit. So take his thoughts, but also compare it to what you want to hear out of your instrument and how it blends in the music you wish to play.

Ibanez does make great stuff, but with some bands, you just need to show up with a Fender to audition in, because anything else just looks too strange or will not lay down that bottom end a band needs.

Fenders more punchy? I guess it depends on the pickups, strings, amp, speakers, and how it is played.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Nothing but good things on the HWY1. However, resale value isn't going to be as good as an MIA. If you can find a used one, by all means, pick it up. At the time I bought mine, it was either that or an MIA standard. The HWY1 felt better, played better and sounded better so I went with it. Fender has come a long way, but still some basses aren't set up right, or just don't have a certain mojo feeling about them. It all comes down to the individual bass.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
For those in the market for a cheap bass - Peavy Zodiac. Butterscotch. Looks like a Fender cowpoke. $199! http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Zodiac-Bass-Guitar?sku=474652&CJAID=10451188&CJPID=3353204

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to pay for this new Lakland strictly with gig/bass-sales money. I'm half-way! So close I can taste it!

Gig money? What's that?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
For small to medium sized venues, go with 300 watts. That's my recommendation. As far as head/cab or combo is concerned - go with what sounds best to you and is most portable so it doesn't kill your back.

Personally, I use a Markbass CMD 102P. It is a Little Mark II amp and a 2x10 wrapped up in a 42 lb. combo.

Where do you live?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

scuz posted:

I'm gonna recommend the same thing that I recommend to nearly anyone: buy used! Keep that GC credit card in your wallet; those things hurt if you don't get everything paid-off in time.

My stack was $600; used GK 800RB and a used Avatar B212N. I can easily overpower the other two halfstacks in my band and have no problem in the clubs we've played in.

Ditto. And the GK and 2x12 is a great setup.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

warwick5s posted:

Peavey stuff is great. It will live long past the point where you want it to die to justify a new purchase.
I agree. I've never heard such an honest summary of Peavy in one sentence.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I have the combo version of the LMII. Performs very well, but I would not call it sterile. Of anything it is less colored than other amps. I love the sound of the gk, even had a few over the years, but it is a very colored gk sound. The markbass amps are more natural to your bass sound and can be colored slightly. You need to sit down with these for only a few minutes to see what settings work for your bass or basses. Passive or active does not matter. I have gigged with both and interchanged in gigs as well. DI works fine to soundboards.

Reliability - very good. Have not had a warranty claim on mine either so I can not comment on that. Questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Isnak posted:

So I'm looking for a small practice combo to replace my old Laney, I'm looking for something with a DI, mostly, for when I want to play around with my sansamp. Is the Roland Microcube or the CB30 decent? I'm not looking for something to keep up with a drummer, just for times when I can't be bothered dragging my amp home from the practice room.

Look for one of these on the cheap. Should be able to get one for 150-200 from people that bought a bass and received one for free. Cannot recall if it has a DI.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...WELAID=28463521

Otherwise, look out for a GK 200MB or similar combo amp. Good sound and a DI.