Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Stambaugh #3 deposit: deposited. :feelsgood:
The :feelsgood: feeling is probably just the anesthesia wearing off from having your kidney removed and sold to pay for #3.

Congrats DS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Nosy_G posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might be able to most effectively learn to stretch my fingers apart further?
Watch where your thumb is on the back of the neck. Center? That would give the best stretch. Consistent strap length - playing up and sitting down, just the same? Look at those two factors and you'll find a recipe that works for your style. Even if you are fretting between 1-5th, even a three fret gap can be fine. Just depends what you are playing. You don't need to be fretting 8 frets unless the music requires such.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
narrie - those are all good bedroom practice amps, but they won't keep up with your drummer. Sorry. check out local craigslist deals in your budget and see what you can pick up.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Ackbarf posted:

I'm HOPING somebody in here will be about to help with this...

I'm playing in a melodic thrash band at the moment, but we're starting to write more death metal, and thus are looking at downtuning. We currently play our songs in Drop D but we're looking at moving to drop C for our existing catalog and C standard for our future stuff.

I'm currently using Elixr 45-105s and the 4th is pretty loose in Drop C, and all 4 strings are way floppy in C Std - I like to run my action low and use a pick so I'm going to need some heavier strings. I know a lot of metal bass players play in C on a 34" 4 string, but I'm having trouble finding out what gauge strings they use to do it?

If I can get coated strings all the better.

If you are in the states, send me a PM with your address. I can send you some used dr black beauties. They are a 120-50 set from what I recall.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Southern Heel posted:

Everyone says not to stop playing when you mess up - but if you've messed up then surely it means you don't know what you're playing? How do you immediately start again?

Lots of good responses to this so far. Here's mine, having stage experience, or seat time as I call it around a poker table or in a car around a race track, you'll start to feel what to do when you mess up or goof. If you aren't a seasoned studio musician, it will happen. Just keep going, and get in as much of that seat time as you can. Keep playing, even if it is an open E, open A, muted string, something in the key and hop on board when it comes back around.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
If you don't look at the consumerism thread, check it out now: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3241000&pagenumber=5#post394206880

This deal is spread over on talkbass and ricresource. Even John Hall made several comments about it. It's a fantastic deal and a wonderful color.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Ackbarf - difficult call. I haven't owned a Thumb, but I am always looking for a late 80's Thumb NT from Germany. Love the black hardware and carved rear headstock. They were built very different back then, and each felt slightly different. But I've played many different Warwicks, especially Thumb 4's.

If I were you, I'd just save the pennies for the German NT if it is a NT. But if you are on a budget or don't want to drop 3K for the German and the pro Korean fits the bill, you don't care for the NT option, nor black hardware and the wood grains are to your liking, by all means... go for it. But another way to look at it is this - in two or three or even five years down the line when it comes to selling it, the German model will fetch the approximate same dollars, and the Korean might slip a little.

Edit: check out this thread - Warwick Forums - Korean vs. German

Schatten fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 8, 2011

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Slick! Especially dig the stand.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Doctor Claw -

Find an old Fender Power Jazz Special from the 80's. Rosewood board, black hardware, black back of neck, P pickup, J pickup, and lots of great tone. It's the bass that Duff from GnR used/uses. Here's a vid of a newer one, where the back of the neck is clear instead of black. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g01PHw12sAc This might have that sound you want.

Otherwise, look for a Fender MIM Jazz bass. It has the growl, the midrange, but can also lack in a bit of bottom, which is why I suggest and prefer the growl of the PJ config. Matt Freeman is known to play a Fender Jazz (as well as precision basses): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjMi0R1ogi8

But what do I know, I'm a bit biased. Looking for a different sound, I'd probably recommend a Ric, but out of the budget you are looking for.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Does it matter if my fingers don't come to rest on the string above after I pluck a string while playing fingerstyle? I've played for a bit now without doing it and it feels uncomfortable to do it.

Nope, it doesn't matter. It all depends on the note you are trying to achieve when playing. Does it need to come to rest on the other string? Or is the other string still resonating? Really depends. If you think this is a muting issue, muting can be done by the right hand but is also controlling the left hand.

There are basses that I'll play that I prefer the fingers to hit the next string. Mainly on jazz basses on the bridge pickup, where the tension is tighter. On the bassier/neck pickup, I don't do this at all. The strings are just too flabby at that point, and my finger will end up pinching the other finger because I'm not a finger-floating kind of guy.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Achtane - recently noticed the green Jag on TB. Gorgeous! Just stunning! Did you ever post it up on here? Gotta show the world... or just a few goons that pay attention to this thread.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

lazerwolf posted:

Anyone have any experience with DR Black Beauties? I know they are coated with something. How long does the coating usually last? I just switched to DR Hi Beams from Ernie balls and I love the strings tone, feel and everything.

I've gone through several sets, and even have a few on basses/guitars in the collection - mainly for the look. While I like DR sound, the black beauties don't give the classic DR tone. With a pick, you'll notice a bit of scuffing on the strings. If you are just a finger player that frets, they'll last a long while. DR has also released extra life coated strings. I think it's their new K3.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Both guitarists in my bands use Line 6 Pods and while I'm not usually much of an effects player I'm interested in one of those multi-effects dealies. I'm finding Bass Floor Pods for pretty cheap online, are those any good? My guitarist is urging me to get an XT with all the bass upgrades that's on local craigslist but it's about a hundred more and I'm worried I'll just be spending on stuff I'll never use, since it's mainly a guitar effects thing and I don't do much electric guitar playing.

The newer Line6 stuff is great. Before, you could get the bass unit, or the guitar unit and then add on the bass modules via software. Now, their stuff is all in one from what I have read so far. There are tons of sounds you can get, adjustments you can make on the fly with a computer hooked up, it's really great. At one time, I wanted to play with the XT Live and a power amp - that's it! But I ended up selling that project off and going with a different setup.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Reminds me of some old GHS Boomers, but have no idea what they are. Get a new set and if you look for some good strings, you will not need to replace them, unless you like them really bright.

The intonation needs to be set. That doesn't look right. But it will not solve slop in the string or buzzing. Is it slop? Or just buzzing and that's how you are describing it?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I have a hard on for spalted maple instruments. But I favor asymmetrical/non-bookmatched tops.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

baka kaba posted:

What's the deal with bridges anyway? What makes a good one feel good and a bad one feel bad? Sustain or tone quality or what?
Usually ease of adjustment, quality of adjustment, chrome or black paint that won't flake off & cause the bridge to rust, and mass like the BadAssII bridges that are sometimes favored over the typical Fender bass bridges. Both work fine. Personal preference really. But when you are picking, and you are resting your hand over that bridge, you might want something easier on your hand. This is where I would stay away from the Fender bridges and go for a BadAssII.

baka kaba posted:

Also on a possibly related note, I know a lot of people like to play near the bridge (over the bridge pickup or nearer) but on my crappy bass it sounds pretty bad, the notes just deaden. A pick helps but the D string especially gets some 'twonk'y overtones. Anything you can do about that?
Different basses make you play different ways. Playing near the bridge is more trebley, and the tension is much higher than playing at the neck. Your fingers will need to have more strength, and if you are using a pick, thicker picks will require a bit more muscle. If you are getting those twonky overtones on one string over another, see if there is something on the bridge causing it to rattle.

Oh and cheers to a fellow long time goon who has yet to change their avatar!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

You can give it a shot, but honestly (and I've done the majority of my live playing in a 3-piece setting), filling in space is better accomplished with what you're playing rather than what register you're playing in.

In short, an octave pedal is a wonderfully useful tool to have, but its not necessary to help fill space. Assuming you even need to fill it... it's nice to leave some open room as well.
I agree.

I've also been in the four piece, cut down to three piece band scenario before and a Micro Pog helped with texture. It didn't fill that space you wanted, you'll need to rearrange your playing between you and the lead.

Loved the Micro Pog! But now I have a Pog 2, and love it even more. Other pedals can do octaves, but some don't track as well if you are playing faster than an 8th note at 90bpm on bass. Others just don't track bass well at all. Buy a pedal once, even look for a used one so you don't lose out on the cash investment.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

Soooo, Ernie Ball did a thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDdjp_g7Rzc

In the future: Hang on a sec... I don't have a pickup selector, I gotta boot up my old computer so I can load some bass profile.

One of the dumbest ideas around. Next thing they'll do, avoid software conflicts, have you log into some website to change it - you know, licensing or some crap, you'll be forced to load adobe with Norton 2018. Then come... viruses. Yes, you will have a virus, it is called Ernie Ball.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Q - Anyone out there do any fretjobs? I need some frets replaced, and maybe a nut. It's an old Jazz Bass Special that I picked up cheap - nothing too special. I lack time, patience, and can ship the neck out.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

These Loving Eyes posted:

Agh, indecision is killing me!
There have been many rave reviews on the STV7 over at Talkbass. But I, like you, would love to get an SVT CL or VR and be done with it. It is the staple of pretty much all things bass. However, the 80lb head is not something I want to lug around.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

squuuueeeeeeee

Love the spalted maple!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Standard p is just a standard p.
Deluxe has active and a single coil or humbucker.

I don't have the active one, but do have an active J. Like it, but really like a standard passive (non active / no battery req) p bass. I have two standards (one strung with flats), always a great sound that mixes well with the band more than by yourself IMO.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Very slick. Compared to the white one, the body looks much bigger.

What do all the switches/knobs do?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Sweeper, I had the same Mark Bass Combo FancyMike has. It's the CMD102P. Great amp, and while it is very clean and can be somewhat colored with the amp itself, it doesn't have a distinctive sound IMO. With that, you can color it however you wish with a VT Bass pedal or something similar. The amp works VERY well for small to medium sized places. When gigging, you just gotta tell the sound dude where the DI is or else he'll try plugging it in on the front. Best part about that combo - the kick back functionality so you can hear yourself or project it more upwards. Pair it up with an auralex pad and you'll isolate your sound much better instead of it being absorbed into the stage.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

JayKay posted:

Derp, I was thinking you were saying that the Shuttle 6.0 had a major flaw or something. Didn't even think about the 6.2 :downs:

That being said you can get a Shuttle 6.0 pretty cheap now! :v:

Yes indeed. All pretty cheap. I have a GB 9.0 I might consider selling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Noise Machine posted:

I found a MIM P-bass fairly close to me that's cheap enough to buy. If it's not in a horrible state I might snatch it. I've been eyeballing the Squier VM/CV series again though. Apparently Fender took a big turn up in QC in 2008.

MIM P's and J's are a great staple for any bassist. If you can afford the MIAs (even a HWY1 if you don't mind the badass bridge/greasebucket where applicable), or even an MIJ, go for it. But a 300 dollar range MIM can be quite a workhorse.

To continue posting up gear pics...here's my first MIM I bought years ago. Gigged with it for three years as my main bass. Never had any issues, except for a bit of hiss if both volumes were not turned all the way up. Prob could have been resolved if I looked into it or even cleaned the pots but it worked out just fine for me. This bass was purchased sight unseen - off of evilbay. Sold it years later on craigslist for a bit of a profit too. (bought: 230ish - sold: 350ish IIRC).

Only registered members can see post attachments!