Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
I'm currently in a similar situation. I play guitar but want to get a bass both to lay some bass tracks down and to learn as a second instrument. I'm currently tossing up between a MIM Fender Precision, Jazz or an Epiphone Thunderbird IV.

I'd be mainly using it for blues/rock but some flexibility would be nice.

Has anyone had any experience with the Thunderbird IV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qball
Aug 1, 2002

3toes posted:

Yes and I absolutely loved mine and wish I hadn't gotten rid of it. Its great for rock tones and can even do some vintage motown type sounds if you dial it in just right. It is by no means a modern-sounding instrument, and I dug the hell out of that.

The only downside of the T-bird is the neck-dive. Epiphone really should have put the strap lug behind the neck instead of on the (non-existent) horn. But you can always move it yourself.

In case you missed it on the last page, here are some soundclips of me loving around on my Tbird. Neck pickup, Bridge pickup, both pickups.

edit: Actually the last part is probably neck volume at 70% and bridge at 50% with tone on full. It was my preferred setting on it.

I can't believe I missed that on the last page, probably because I was reading it at work and not listening to the sound clips.

The Thunderbird is on to of my list at the moment. I love Gibson body style and I'm a big fan of vintage sounds anyway. As long as it's as good as the MIM Fender basses which I can probably get for the same price here, I'm all good.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

I've been looking at getting a bass for a while now (I play guitar) and was trying to decide between the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass and the CIJ 75 Reissue Jazz Bass.

I've heard the 75 RI pickup spacing is a little different than a real 70's bass and changes the sound somewhat, I've also heard the Geddy is pretty bright sounding. I'm after a bass that has a bit of the 70's growl to it.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these?