Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Clicktrack posted:

This is true, as pointed out above. Buy a Badass III instead - exactly the same bridge, but they come with the grooves already filed in.

This is wrong. The Badass III is designed for MIA Fenders that have three mounting holes: http://www.music123.com/Leo-Quan-Badass-III-Replacement-Bass-Bridge-Grooved-463590-i1144463.Music123

The Badass II has five holes and is a direct drop-in replacement for your normal bridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I've been out of the bass gear game for a while mostly focusing on non-bass things, and I'm looking to start playing out more again, which means new gear. I'm thinking of buying two 1x12s and one of those super light portable type heads. Here's what my needs are, in order:

1) Versatile
2) Lightweight
3) Loud

Price, while always a concern, is not at the forefront of my mind. I've got some older bass gear to sell that I can use to fund this purchase in part. What I'm mostly wondering about is: Other than the Genz Benz shuttles, are there any new hotness superlight bass heads? When I stopped paying attention to bass gear the Markbass LM2 was new on the market and sounded great but I already had an Ampeg SVT3 that I was happy with so I never bothered picking up the LM2.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

DrChu posted:

GK MB500s and 800s are good, skip the Shuttle 6.0, the others are ok though. The Aguilar TH500 has been well received as well. The Markbass LMII and III use Class A/B power supplies instead of Class D, which some people feel give the tone more weight, which I would agree with somewhat.

For the cabinets, how lightweight are we talking? Off the top of my head there are:
Aguilar SL-112 at 25 pounds
GK Neo 112 series 2 at 30 pounds
Genz Benz NEOX-112 at 36 pounds
Aguilar GS-112 at 45 pounds

They all have similar frequency response and power handling, so you may need to define "versatile" a bit more.

Versatile as in suitable for all types of music. Those Aguilar SL series cabs are shockingly light, but goddamn are they expensive. I'll have to consider my choices carefully.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I bought an Aguilar TH500 and used it this past weekend through a 1970s era Ampeg 8x10...holy hell, I love this head. Am I making a giant mistake by ordering a pair of Avatar 1x12 neos at the beginning of next month? I would love a pair of Aguilar SL112s if they weren't so ludicrously expensive.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Scarf posted:

- DR Nickel Lo-Riders on my main Lakland.

I use these on all three of the basses I own that still have strings. Really like them a lot.

edit: Just bought an Avatar 1x12 neo to go with my TH500. Really great combination, and it's awesome to be able to carry my entire rig into the venue in one trip.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

baka kaba posted:

You could have some hum in your house wiring - try plugging into another socket, or on another floor if you can. Failing that try and take it to another building and see if things change

This. Alternately, if you're using one of those 3 prong to 2 prong adapters, you need to actually ground it correctly.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

DrChu posted:

The 410HE is sealed, so it is always going to have less low end than a ported cab. Plus, it is 8 ohms so you're running the amp at half power. Plus, your amp is an SVT III Pro which many people find to have low output.

You're gonna need to turn the graphic EQ on, boost the right most slider (adjusts overall level), and then boost some of the low and low mid frequencies to taste. Also, don't use the low switch, its actually more of a mid cut than a bass boost, so you'll loose some power that way.

All of this, as I used to own a SVT 3 Pro. If you wanted a cab with rear end, the 410HLF is what you wanted (though I found it waaaaaaaay too boomy).

edit: Anyone have a recommendation on an acoustic/electric bass? I'm looking to play it entirely unamplified and I'd like something that can be heard in a group with other acoustic instruments (no drum kit). Could probably spend a few hundred but I'm not willing to buy something super expensive.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I was looking through some old pictures today, and found this.

I love my current rig, (Carvin BX1200 + two Baer ML112's, soon to replace the BX1200 with a Baer Valkyrie) but GOD drat was that a sick rig.

I don't envy your back though. I'm currently running a TH500 and an Avatar 1x12. Love being able to carry my entire setup in from the car in one trip.