Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Since it was already discussed in this thread, I thought I'd mention that I just picked up a Squire Vintage Modified Jazz and it's really, really nice. I was looking at some Jackson something or other for about a c-note less, but the J was too pretty to pass up. Turns out it plays really nice as well. $279.99 before tax at guitar center.
On a bit of a tangent, I tried to haggle down the price a little or get them to throw in a gig bag but they didn't budge. GC doesn't deal anymore. Turns out the company that recently bought them abolished that particular practice. The girl that sold it to me was fun to look at though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Archr5 posted:

congrats on the new bass, i love that VM jazz. Guitar Center can pretty much only deal on Used stuff these days, and that's If you luck into working with a store manager on the purchase. When I went in to get a VM Jazz the manager had just sold it the day before, and he remembered me coming in to look at it a few days prior to that... and so he found a MIM Fender Jazz and cleaned it up, re strung it, found a hardshell case, made sure it sounded good, and sold the whole kit and kaboodle to me for $279 (including tax).

Hah, Even better. Awesome.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

You really ought to buy it and live with it a while before you consider doing anything that drastic. In fact, you'd probably be better off just buying a body and neck and putting together your dream instrument than hacking a VM-J.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

This is a good idea. You need to develop your ear anyway.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Akur0 posted:

I've been in choir for the majority of my life I have a very good ear thank you =P

Uh-huh. So was I and I'll tell you that I had a bit of learning to do when I picked up a bass. The difference in pitches between the notes on a bass can be a matter of a few hertz and it's a different matter than up in the sweet spot of human hearing where the vocal range resides.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Akur0 posted:

hey everyone I'm thinking about buying this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...WELAID=66754907

but I saw this first
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rockman-Bass-Ace-Headphone-Amp?sku=180252&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26019000

which one should I stick with?

and also, why don't we have a bass thread if we have plenty of bass players present?

I'd get the Rock-it. I've had one that was quite good, and it was an older version. With the Rockman, I think you're paying a lot of money for the Tom Schultz name.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Jan posted:

I'll get back to practicing 4-fret spreads without shifting, but I'm not sure I can pull that off with any amount of practice.
Everyone's tendons and muscles are hooked up in a slightly different way and I think some of us just can't use the pinky. I have actually used a meter for measuring grip strength and I come out way in front of the average person and still can't use my pinky. gently caress it. I'm no Jaco, I don't need the worthless appendage to play.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Scarf posted:

the soundguy really wanted me to play out of his backline rig, an SWR/Hartke stack...

Whoah, this happens? Granted, I've never played a gig where we didn't provide our own PA, but this is astounding. I doubt this would ever happen to a guitar player. Hell, I would have put up a hell of a fight myself. My rig is part of my overall setup and is an instrument as well as my guitar. It would be like asking me to use another bass. I have a lot of respect for a good sound guy, but this is just silly.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

warwick5s posted:

If you're running through a PA, and the house guy throws a DI box (you know, the Countryman that's held together with duct tape? that one) in front of your amp, you're not using your amp for anything other than monitoring anyways, so who cares what amp you're playing through.

That's fine with me. I'd be happy providing a line out from my preamp if they want, since my rig consists ofa preamp (Presonus Studio Channel) into a power amp (45-pound Peavey 8.5c) into a pair of full-range PA cabs (2 BFM Jack 110s with the 12-driver melded HF array).
Playing through someone else's rig would just be too distracting and I'm too lovely to deal with a ton of distractions.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

pokie posted:

What do you guys think of this guitar for a starter?
http://www.staggmusic.com/products/products_detail.php?langue=uk&oneid=567
I have also been thinking about Steinberger bass. I have a budget of 2 grand or so for bass and amp. What would be a solid amp, something beyond a starter model?

Firstly, I wouldn't drop that kind of coin on a starter. Amps and cabs (mostly cabs) are kinda hard to sell for a decent price. Go on Craigslist and get yourself a nice 2x10" or 15" combo and a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz or Precision used. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. You could get something really nice for $500.00. The nice thing about the Vintage Modified line is that it's really good quality for the money to begin with and if you choose, a pickup upgrade is $150.00 or less. Replacement and upgrade parts are very common for anything P or J-based. Hang on to the remaining $1500.00 until you're sure that you are going to be justified spending more and then add to what you have. A second bass is good to have and the combo can stay in the studio/practice space. For that $1500.00 you can get an amazing rig with a ton of power and a very nice guitar.
Due to the horrendous economy, this is a buyer's market for used gear. Besides, the guitar and amp makers have been ripping people off forever by charging a massive premium for little more than a brand name (of course there are exceptions, but generally not the big names). gently caress them.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Scarf posted:

Actually, I'd say go with the Squier Classic Vibe series over the Vintage Modified series. The VMs were good, but the CVs are pretty fantastic for that price-point.

Huh. What's the advantage? Price or features? They look pretty decent.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

I think I'm going to do this just for fun.

Don't push it too hard though. The plugs for speakers are a bit beefier than instrument plugs.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

gotly posted:

How feasible is jazz bass on a fretted instrument? Also, can anyone suggest a site to get me started on the theory behind walking jazz bass lines? I know I can use google but it's nice to have a recommendation. I've been playing for about 3 years and have blues and rock down. Time to learn something new.

Wow, you're going to play the most difficult music on the most difficult bass. I totally admire your determination.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

gotly posted:

Yeah I'm actually going to be playing it at 4x speed while standing on a moving car. Also I'll be holding my amp with my scrotum piercing, so it'll be pretty tough.

Post pics or it didn't happen.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

warwick5s posted:

I am going crazy. I *have* to play through a VB-3 sometime soon or I will explode.

edit: Mother FUCKER. Just talked to Peavey, closest is in Peoria. :smith: I may have to just bite the bullet and make GC order one for me, then return it right away.

I feel the same about the IPR 1600. I have a double-header this weekend that will go toward most of the cost of one. 7lbs, 1600 watts baby.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IPR1600

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Are you learning any songs? Playing along with any music? Practicing with a metronome? Timing is extremely important. I think most musicians would rather play with a bassist with good timing than one with a good grasp of theory if they had to choose.
Maybe it's time to start playing with other musicians.

I will say that if I had it to do over again, I would learn a bunch of theory like you're doing.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

What'd you pay for that head? I saw a USED GK 1001 at Guitar Center for over a loving grand.

It might not seem like it, but 700 watts is a tremendous amount of power. I doubt I ever get more than that out of my rig and just barely ticking over I can rattle the glasses of any bar doing a low-frequency test sweep.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Wow, what a beast. I love Peavey. My gig rig is a Presonus Studio Channel to a Peavey 8.5C with only one channel. The loving thing won't die. My hope is to get an IPR 1600 with the proceeds from this weekend's gig and some cash laying around. 1600 watts at 7 pounds, baby.

Yeah, that ain't a 2x10 rig. You also probably won't pull 400 watts out of it with a single cab, but that's a screaming deal. It'll be plenty loud for all but the biggest bars.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Oh god, it's beautiful.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I'm curious why people are using a DI and then just going straight into a bass head. Seems a little overcomplicated to me, but I don't use any effects except for the compression and EQ in my preamp. What am I missing out on?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

I just discovered Rush.

I now feel completely and utterly incompetent at playing my chosen musical instrument. gently caress. :smith:

Just now? Wow. Listen to Cake some time. I hate that guy.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

PMan_ posted:

Thanks for the advice. I am messing around with the pot now, loosening the nut definitely helped things. Now I've just got to try and find a spot where it'll stay fine when the nut is tightened back up. Strangely enough, it also seems to help the intonation issue. We shall see if that lasts...

Pull the plate off the back and dig around in there. Don't worry, you'd have to try to damage something. Make sure that there aren't any crossed wires or shorts. Loosen the nut and rotate the potentiometer a little if you need to. Take a look and familiarize yourself with the wiring. Take a couple of pictures, they might be useful for future reference. Hell, post 'em here and we can take a look and see if something is amiss. Get a decent camera and do it right though. If you use your phone you won't have anything useful.
As for the intonation, there can't be a connection. Since it's new maybe the neck, nut, body and bridge are settling in a little.

Scarf: Now I hate you too.

Yeah, I like Rush, but it has little to do with Geddy's playing. It's good, but the band is just a massive talent sink and every last one of them is a loving god. How I hate them.

The thing about Cake that always gets me is how melodic Gabe's playing is. Usually that much moving around the fretboard is irritating (i.e. John Entwistle). Even with all that awesome melodic fretting he still hits the roots when he should. He's so talented I just wanna hit him.

Oh, one more thing. I've been thinking about going active with my VMJ. Any recommendations for a drop-in control plate or a sweet non drop-in setup? Maybe a preamp? Maybe I'm a dumbass and don't know they're the same thing? I don't much care about keeping or replacing the pickups. They're a Bartolini-licensed knock-off so I'm guessing they're good enough but I'm not totally married to them. My other guitar is an older active Washburn MB-4. I really like that I get a more consistent tone out of it no matter what I plug it into. The loving Squier is temperamental as balls and sounds just abysmal when plugged into my wireless (which works just fine with my guitar player's guitars).

Kynetx fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 13, 2010

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Perhaps... It kinda looks like maybe the insulation on the thinner red lead might have gotten melted into the exposed wire coming from the bigger red wire during the soldering.
Is the bigger red lead soldered onto the body of the pot?

on the other hand, it looks like there should be a lead soldered onto the body of the pot on the left side. There's a blob of solder there and I don't see anything coming out of it. Is anything obviously wrong with it? Any of those wires just dangling unconnected?

Good picture by the way.

TyChan posted:

Have you looked into the J-Retro or the Audere preamps? Those are the only drop-in Jazz Bass preamps that I can think of right now.

An outboard Aguilar or Sadowsky preamp would probably cost around the same. The drop-ins aren't cheap.
If I go with a preamp, it'll have to be a drop-in. I play wireless.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Sarah Barracuda posted:

Sweet bass.

You know... It sounds like you want to sound like the Toadies. That's some dark Texan poo poo right there.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

DrChu posted:

Use a bass with P or PJ pickups, roundwound strings, play with your fingers and hit the strings hard enough so they clank on the edge of the fretboard. A clean amp or just slightly dirty would be fine.

That's the precise habit I've been trying to break lately.

Protip: Never learn to play with an underpowered amp. It'll just make you a hamfisted lummox later when you finally get a decent rig.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I don't really care for that style of guitar (or tobacco sunburst) but I'll make an exception for this one. Very classy.

baka kaba posted:

I just got my first bass! Currently playing real quietly through my guitar amp until I land a practice amp. Since I'm starting out and the world is my oyster, does anyone have any good technique tips that I should try from the beginning? And should I be trying to play with more than two fingers, or is that completely unnecessary?
In my untrained experience, yes. You will use the index and middle fingers 90% of the time (I'm assuming you're talking about your plucking hand), but you need to have the dexterity ready for when you DO need it. The one example I can think of off the top of my head is doing a walking bassline in A. If I want to come down to the low-E for the turnaround I find it easiest to pluck it with my ring finger.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Yep, tabs are worthless. Learning by ear takes practice, but it's a far better way to do it. Anymore, if I want to learn something I might check the tab to see if there is any easier way to play something, but on the whole it's not a good starting point even on the rare occurrence that it's correct.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I think that alternating is a good habit to learn, but as you mature as a player you'll find situations where it's not as good a fit.

Also I concur 100% with the comment and picking gently. Hammering on the instrument is a very tough habit to break.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

ZetsurinPower posted:

I need some advice about an older bass, its a 1971 Gibson EB-0 that has been modified quite heavily over its life but it is a sexy beast.

The neck is pretty warped which I guess caused fret buzz, because at some point in its life a 1/8" shim was added under the bridge. This made the action super high, especially at the higher frets, which causes every note to be sharper and sharper as you go up the neck.

What kind of price would I be looking at for this to be set up? I have a few people in mind, I just want to know what is reasonable and what is getting ripped off.

Last time I had a bass set up it was 40 bucks.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Tape is the way to go. If you don't want to fix it, don't bother. It's a cosmetic flaw and nothing else.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Holy poo poo, what a monster. I love old Peavey stuff. Although the speaker fits and sounds good, be aware that you're gonna get half the output since you're using an 8-ohm driver. You very well may not notice it.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

betterinsodapop posted:

I really think Peavey products are a great value.

Oh, you do, do you? 1600 watts, 7 pounds, 300 dollars. $280 shipped from Northern Sound and Light!

I'm going to be using these for my PA as soon as I can scrape the cash together. Twice the power of my current PV-8.5C and roughly 1/8 the weight.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

betterinsodapop posted:

Hot drat, that's a lot of power. I guess if I ever need to power to 810 cabs, I know where to look!

AMS had a good deal on Crown power amps last week sometime, but nothing THAT high powered/low priced.

Crown tends to underrate and the only way you're gonna pull 1600 watts out of the Peavey is 2 ohms per channel or 4 bridged. Still, the jump from 800 to 1600 watts is small in terms of perceived loudness.
Honestly, if you build a system that has you cabling things to get 2 ohms at the amp terminals you really ought to buy more amps.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Scarf posted:

SVT410-HLF is already at 4ohms in Series/Parallel. You can't get to 2ohms from there I don't believe. It'd be a near no-resistance situation.

He'd have to have changed the drivers.

4 8-ohm in parallel will get you to 2 ohms, 4 4-ohm in parallel gets you to 1 ohm. You could get to 2 ohms with a 4-ohm 8-driver cab in a series/parallel arrangement... Yeah, can't be done in a 4-driver cab.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

PenguinBob posted:

my local guitar center is selling a used one of these. should i buy it? tell me that i shouldn't buy it. tell me that i shouldn't get this thing and use it to fill in the space that will be left by my strat and my dano.

It has a cock. Do you like the cock? If so, get a Corvette. If you just like ugly basses, there's always the Danelectro Longhorn.

Yes, I will readily admit that I wouldn't play an ugly bass even if Jesus Christ was my luthier.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

CaseFace McGee posted:

I've had a bit of a hard time getting the bass to bring out that distinctive fretless "mwah" sound.

Try dialing out some of the low-end and use the bridge pickup maybe?

I r Pat posted:

Any idea what this could be caused by? Can the bass itself give a natural distortion?

If it is present at all amplifier/preamp input gain settings, it's a dead battery like Mr. Posters said. If that's the case, replace it with a 9v lithium and you won't have to worry about it for a couple years.
If it only shows up at higher gain and lower output volume, you're overdriving the preamp stage. If it shows up at low gain and high output volume your guitarist probably hates you.

Does you amp/pre have a -15dB input jack? If so, use that. It's intended for actives. Otherwise turn your gain down until it goes away. If it's still a problem, Radial makes an impedance matching transformer called the Tonebone Dragster. I've never used it, but it is made for this very application.

If it's the battery, you're a doofus* and you should be ashamed.

* (I actually took an active of mine to a tech when it had a flat battery many many years ago. I still hear the mocking laughter of the entire music store in my ears as I drift off to a sleep filled with nightmares of playing in front of my old high school in tightey-whiteys)

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

DrChu posted:

Just curious, does anybody actually use the "Active" input if using active basses? My current Stingray (and the previous one as well) is not really any louder than my passive Precision or Jazz unless you dime all the EQ controls, the L2000 I used to have even at its loudest setting didn't overload the input, and some generic six string I used to have was about the same.

My practice head is a tank of a Crate BT-350. Using the -15dB input makes the EQ and gain knob actually usable.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Firstly, there is no need to "match" impedances between the head and the cab. You just have to take care not to present too little impedance to an amp. If it's rated for a minimum of 4 ohms, try not to have less than that or you'll run into clipping, overheating and protection-related shutdowns.
Damage due to under powering is a myth. I won't get into the subtleties of it, but if you are clipping an amp hard you are NOT under powering the driver, you are OVER powering it. When you flatten out the crest of the wave, you are increasing the average power you are delivering to the speaker. When you're clipping, you're getting the same sound pressure out of the cabinet, but you're also getting nasty harmonics and increased heat.
200 watts is sufficient for a backline application, assuming you're also being amplified through the mains.

Pablo Gigante, if the cab you're looking at is a 2x10, chances are it's 4 ohm, unless it has 16-ohm drivers but that's kind unusual. What's the make & model? You should look around Craigslist for a head you can do a hell of a lot better than that Acoustic if you go used.

Kynetx fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 8, 2010

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I've played a couple of back-to-back shows and they're totally awesome. It turns a 8-10 hour ordeal with 4 hours playing in the middle into a pleasant 6-hour gig.

It's funny looking back on how our loadout has changed. I've gone from an 8-space rack full of rack-mount processing gear and a 1x15 and 2x10 to a pair of Eminence Deltalite 2510 neodymium loaded Fitzmaurice 1x10 cabs and a 4-space rack. I think the weight has been halved (and the output is even a little louder). I can get my entire rig plus a pair of basses, a fan and a couple miscellaneous things into the back of a Mazdaspeed3 with room to spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Mike N Eich posted:

I still can't close my hands completely without pain

You must carry a very light purse.