Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
I just got a bass guitar and an amp as a present and I'm pretty stoked! One of my friends is an accomplished guitarist/bassist and he told me he would be happy to share some pointers with me, but I've been reading up online and looking over a few books in the meantime.

At this point I'm not trying to do much but practice my scales/permutations and emulate a few songs using tabs online. Is that a pretty good way to get a feel for the instrument? Also, some of the songs I want to try and play are in drop D. Is there any reason I couldn't tune my bottom string to D or should I be doing it by ear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
Assuming I'm just trying to get my technical/physical stuff down for the time being, what are some good exercises to increase my reach/speed? I'm not trying to lay down Motown tracks or anything, obviously, but at this point the only things I can do with any semblance of speed are repeating notes. Anything requiring switching is totally lost on me.

Also, how much does your instrument have to do with your progression as a player? The reviews I read on my current bass (some Austin Bazaar piece of crap) are uniformly terrible, so I went ahead and bought the Ibanez suggested in this thread. I know a new bass isn't going to transform me into a virtuoso, but can I expect faster progression from a better instrument?

Edit: As far as technique goes I'm making sure to do everything with four fingers to four frets, and I always alternate my index and middle finger (and sometimes throw in my ring finger if the song allows me to do it without loving up too much). What are some other super-basic things I should be doing?

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
Please help me train my loving pinkie.

My first three fingers are fine. They convert my brain signals into the motions I intend. My loving pinkie, however, will not do as it's told. Part of that is because it's (for lack of a better term) double-jointed and really only knows two positions: completely straight and curled so close to my palm it can barely touch my top string. It also doesn't really have a range of vertical motion so much as an up position and a down position. I am starting to wonder how much of this is fixable and how much isn't.

It wasn't a big problem doing scales and two-octave appregios since those don't require a lot of fast motion between it and the ring finger. Now that I'm moving onto more complex poo poo though, it's almost totally useless and the clicking it does when going from straight to curled really loving hurts. On top of that, any time I move my middle finger it tends to jerk up like a retard instead of going into position to help out. Even typing this I noticed I didn't hit a single loving note with it. How hosed am I?

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Schatten posted:

pantsfish - can you post a picture? You can work around limitations. While it is a general rule that you need to spread out your fingers among four frets (or more), it doesn't always work out that way. Does it hold on the d or g strings?

If it hurts that bad, it is time to hold back on using it for a bit. Signs of carpal tunnel? That can effect the pinky.

Well another problem is that I have a giant cyst on my ring finger, but that doesn't affect its motion whatsoever. Generally I hold it on the G string. I'm hoping doing some exercises will loosen it up, but as long as I can get around it I will. I just want to get basic form down before I start breaking rules.

Edit: Hold up and I will post a video of me trying to play something (you all have to promise not to laugh at me since I suck dick at electric bass)

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvxNwidHyk

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Schatten posted:

That's one big cyst! What's the story with it?

I'm not a nitpicker when it comes to technique, so others might chime in. Your thumb, is it in the middle of the neck? Or does it wrap around in the lower frets?

I'm doing the standard "make a 'C' with your hand and put your thumb at the middle of the neck" thing. It feels most comfortable to me and seems to make the strings the most accessible.

edit: the story is that it's disgusting and gross and I've had it for almost ten years even though I've had way-above-average health insurance for the last five or so

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Rocketpriest posted:

The pinky is a bastard, and needs a lot more work than the other three fingers. My pinky behaved pretty much the same way you described when I first started playing too. What will help is to very slowly move through 4 note per string patterns - not scales, just fret four consecutive notes. Start by just fretting each note at the same time, so you're just holding the string down with all four fingers, each of which is resting on a separate fret. Then start running patterns (1 is index finger, two is middle finger, etc): 1234, 2341, 3412, etc. Move these patterns across the strings slowly, paying close attention to what each finger is doing. When you mess up, don't get frustrated (this will make you tighten/change your grip and added tension is BAD), just fix the error. Telling your hand out loud 'no, not that way, THIS way' is corny, but will actually help you fix mistakes faster. Just makes these exercises part of your early practice/warm-up routine. Eventually you will build pinky dexterity and you'll find that your accuracy and fluidity will improve. I recommend making it an integral part of your warm-up for two reasons: One, since it's part of your warm-up, you'll do it. And two, if you don't already, it will be incentive to warm up, which you should be doing, drat it.

I'm a big proponent of warming up before you play, ever since I damaged my fretting hand with bad tendonitis a couple years ago (frustration + anger + no warm-up = permanent hand damage:(). Of course, even people that DO warm-up tend to go overboard with it. Your warm-up should be short, no more than ten minutes, and it should be the very last thing you do before you play. You can't 'warm up' then go have a beer, take a piss, and chat with your friends before you get on stage. Do all that stuff FIRST, then warm up for a minute or two (or ten!). Warming up before any lengthy practice session is also advised. Getting into the habit of your warm-up being the very first thing you do when you pick up your instrument every time is a very, very good thing.

Thanks for the advice. I've been warming up doing almost exactly what you described in my the first paragraph - going through every possible single-string 1-2-3-4 permutation I can. Then I generally stop midway through (I play two hours a night, more if I can), do the same thing, then cap off by doing it a final time.

How did you get tendonitis if you don't mind my asking? Was it a stupid stunt or a gradual thing? I've had some pain but I'm chalking it up to general soreness and I always stop to remind myself to loosen up.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
I am having a bitch of a time figuring out the difference between triads/7th chords and arpeggios. As far as I can tell they both consist of taking the first, third, fifth, (seventh), and eighth note of a scale and playing those. I am starting to think they are the same thing. Am I correct? If not, what link am I missing here?

pantsfish fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 1, 2009

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Col.Kiwi posted:

The simplest definition of a chord is multiple notes played at the same time. An arpeggio is all the tones from some chord played one at a time in sequence instead of all at once.

Exactly, so wouldn't the triad of, say, a C major scale also be an arpeggio?

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
Another dumbshit question. I have taken to opening garage band and finding something played in a random scale (G Major, for instance), getting ripped, and then loving around within that scale using triads etc. as a timing and ear training exercise. Is this less beneficial than, say, just doing scales backwards and forwards with a metronome?

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Col.Kiwi posted:

82Daion posted:

Thanks for the help. What would you guys recommend exercise-wise then? You can only do scales so many hours in a row before it becomes a chore.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
I've been playing bass for the last year and a half with a focus on theory and ear training. I'm getting to a point where I can have a simple song learned within two or three listens but I have pretty much run through everything on my iTunes playlist.

Without this turning into an NMD "recommend me some bands" thread essentially I am looking for tunes and/or artists that are good for intermediate bass players to learn without looking at tabs. I listen to pretty much anything so any genre will do so long as I can look it up on YouTube or whatever. Anyone have any suggestions?

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

UkraineGirls posted:

Kind of a given but ever listen to The Who? Entwistle is a bass monster and songs like Wont Get Fooled Again are made by his bass.

Probably a little too much for me at this point. For record the last few things I've learned to the point of mastery (i.e. can make them sound ok at two or three places on the fretboard) are the "Spaceman" solo and the entirety of "Joy Ride" on the Killers' Day and Age album.

Edit: Actually, going back and listening to Won't Get Fooled Again, I don't think it will be challenging to the point of being impossible, just long. Thanks for the recommendation

pantsfish fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 8, 2009

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Scarf posted:

Actually, for something as intricate as Entwhistle's stuff, I'd consider it an accomplishment to be able to play it note for note. It will also give you an insight as to how he (and other artists) construct their lines. You can find some cool, recurring aspect/theme and incorporate it into your own playing.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I do try to take off on other people's stuff when I'm noodling around, but learning songs note-for-note without using any tabs has helped me learn how different shapes and combinations sound.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread but I have another question: Here in a few months I will be in the market for a five-string bass. I am eying a Fender J-Bass because I love the sound, but I'm not necessarily thrilled with the weight or the general look. Is there another brand with a similar sound? My price range will be from $600-$800, so buying used vs. new is another issue. Can anyone lend some insight?

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
Twofold question:

1.) I am saving for a new bass and thus selling an old one. I have an Ibanez GSR200 (purchased on this thread's recommendation) that is in perfect condition. Finish and everything are in perfect shape, as is the body. The only issue is that it's missing a string and I have zero loving desire to restring the thing. Will that affect is resale value that much? What's a reasonable price to ask with the strings or without?

2.) I'm torn between a 5-string Fender J-Bass and now, after reading this thread, a Lakland 55-01. My biggest concern is that my $800 could go towards a decent J-Bass or the lowest-end Lakland. I've heard the B string on the 5501 is wonderful so I'm leaning that direction. Any suggestions there?

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Scarf posted:

It's been my experience that Skyline Laklands are of better quality than U.S. Fenders. However, the 55-01 is a completely different sound than a J-bass. Go to http://www.lakland.com/ac_4401.htm and listen.

I don't need an exact replica or anything. That and that site gives me the impression that the range on a Lakland is considerably wider. And I forgot to mention that I'm still in the learning stages of repair and upgrading so I'd like something that I won't have to tinker much with (if at all) to get the best possible sound out of it. Am I safe in assuming that the 55-01 meets those criteria?

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
Well I found a used 55-02 on Talkbass for $800 and another like-new one with a better finish and hard case for $1000. Am I safe to assume these are both pretty good deals?

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
I just got my Lakland 55-02 off the UPS truck and I loving love it! The guy had it set up and restringed before he shipped it. Playing the thing's like giving a stick of butter a handjob. Thanks for the recommendation Scarf :)

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Scarf posted:

No prob man. Glad you went with the Lakland. Does it have the Bartolini pickups, or the Lakland pickups?

Laklands.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
Your wish is my command :) You can see my progression from the Ibanez to the Schecter to the Lakland hah. Now I just need to get good enough to do the it justice.

pantsfish fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 16, 2009

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Scarf posted:

Looks great. Congrats again.

If at anytime you want to change the midfrequency of the preamp, open up the control cavity in the back and you'll see 4 small dip-switches. Here is a diagram to show you how to flip them to change the frequency:

http://www.lakland.com/tech-docs/Alternate%20midrange%20LH-3%20settings.pdf

I have mine set to 250hz because I love the growl of low-mids. Also note that this will only have an effect if you boost or cut the mids. If you leave it flat, you won't notice any change.

Excellent, thank you. Would you happen to have a control diagram for the knobs? So far I've figured out volume and I assume the switch controls the pickups (neck, bridge, and both). I am way too inexperienced for this thing, but at least it motivates me to play more.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Photex posted:

Just remember that Talkbass is nothing like SA, so don't try to be funny or anything.

Signed

A Banned Supporter

Yeah I haven't really been able to enjoy any forum but these since I joined them however many years ago. Talkbass is a good resource but a lot of it seems like the standard kid-gloved nicey-nicey crap I hate about most message boards. Oh well, at least I got a crazy deal on a bass from one of the posters

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
I'm just now getting to a point where I'm concerned with finding the right tone for the song I'm playing along with being accurate and in harmony. I set my mid frequency to 250 Hz but am still having trouble achieving that Lakland growl I hear on the site and in videos, etc. If I turn the mids up it sounds too twangy but if I cut them and boost the bass a little it sounds a little too sludgy. I'm looking for something like the neck pickup hard rock sample with flats if I can dial it in.

It sounds like a pick really helps bring it out so I am sure that's a big part of the problem. I can time alright with one but can't control it enough yet to hit it at a consistent strength. Is there anything else I should be doing to help me along in achieveing that tone?

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
I'm going to go ahead and resurrect this thread in the name of finding me some more songs to learn by ear. I just figured out all of Dinosaur Jr. - In a Jar (and I'm pretty proud of myself), so if anyone familiar with that tune can name me something similar I would appreciate it. In general I'm looking for something with some variety and complexity without being retarded difficult or lacking in structure.

Thanks guys :) And thanks again to Scarf for recommending Lakland products. I feel like the bass alone made me better.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
Anyone care to recommend some good ear training songs? I've spent the last few days exhausting my iTunes library and am running out of thing at my skill level (intermediate at best). I'm currently struggling through the chorus of "Owner of a Lonely Heart" but am down to learn any genre from country on up.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
I'm actually just getting into funk stuff. My second practice song today was "Pusher Man," which is fun as poo poo and just challenging enough to make me want to keep going. There's nothing in the song I hear and doubt I can figure out.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Scarf posted:

If you want funk, pick up The Very Best of The Meters, and learn the entire album.

Got the first half of that suggestion done - now to work on the second half...

One final request: Can anyone name some more melodic stuff to practice as well? My vocabulary is kind of lacking but I'm looking for stuff like Andy Rourke did for the Smiths - lots of harmonizing and longer lines that could cover a whole section of the song without repetition. I'm probably doing too much of a shotgun approach here but I want to make sure all my bases are covered as it pertains to chart songs vs. riff songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Seventh Arrow posted:

Reminds me of the time I rented a Musicman Stingray...once I started turning knobs, I couldn't get the sound back to where I wanted. Curse them and their fancy pots!

I just traded my 55-02 for a Stingray 4 on a whim - let's see if I'm ecstatic or full of regret come Friday