Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Easy bass tunes to learn would be any song off of Rage Against the Machine's self-title. Better yet, try to tab them out yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

You did cut the string tips to length first though, right? As for a black nut, I'd check at https://www.stewmac.com
I've read that by doing that it cuts the life of the string down considerably. I dunno if it's true or not.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks for straightening that out :). I didn't think that stupid book (EADG4) was telling the truth.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

I Read Kotaku! posted:

Alright so after playing my friend's bass with an actual amp (!!!) and enjoying the hell out of myself I am seriously considering buying a bass now. I'm looking at a few used options right now and I'd like to get some opinions on a few before I spend any money. Mostly what I'm interested in playing is 80's new wavey kind of stuff (Oingo Boingo, Talking Heads) and bluesy classic rock stuff (Johnny Winter, Rick Derringer kind of crap). Not really interested in anything heavy.

I found a used Stu Hamm bass for really loving cheap, and while Stu Hamm is cool I guess does anyone know if it's actually a good bass? I've heard generally bad things about artist signature everything but I haven't heard much about this bass at all.

There's also this Steinberger Spirit headless thing that I'm only considering because it's dirt cheap from all the scratches and stuff on it. It looks weird but I kind of like it. Since I generally don't know poo poo about gently caress I don't know if it would be right for what I want to play.

The last one I was wondering about was a Jay Turser violin bass. From what I've read it's supposed to be one of the better violin basses for the money. I've heard that violin basses are allegedly limited in the kind of sound you can get, but I'm only looking at it because I'm very cheap and so is the price.
It sounds like you're just looking for something inexpensive. F5 this site every 10 minutes or so, and look back through the first 5 pages: clicky. You'll find anything you'd ever want there, it's all used and in good condition.

What sort of bass does your friend have? What did/didn't you like about it?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dundee McFluffers posted:

I've noticed my fretting hand is slow and I'm having trouble using two fingers to play with. Anybody have some exercises or techniques to help me play faster?
There's a book out there called "Bass Fitness" that's helped me quite a bit in the speed/accuracy departments. What sort of trouble are you having with the two-finger approach?

Rashomon posted:

I want to pick up a bass for recording purposes. I played around with them for a while at Guitar Center and a couple stores today. My current idea is to get either the sexy 70s Squier Jazz Bass with the black blocks and binding, or a Squier P Bass special with 2 pickups, or the SX equivalent of either of those. I've read this whole thread and haven't really gotten any conclusive answers...how does Squier compare to SX? I liked the Jazz Bass when I played it, it had some decent tones even though I don't really know much about bass. I quite possibly would replace the pickups with GFS if that would be an improvement.
Squier Affinity reads to me like "Squier Poop." Their vintage modified line has been quite well received, however, and the one that I tried at Best Buy of all places was pretty well put-together. The one that you're talking about with the black blocks is in the vintage modified line and will be hard to go wrong with.

SX is sort of in the same class as the Squier non-VM, but the 70s Squier is loaded with Duncan-designed pickups, and while I'm not the biggest fan of Duncan, they're going to be better than the stock pickups in the SX.

Also agreeing with Jan and restating that it's hard to find a bad Ibanez.

scuz fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 9, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I've just borrowed a friends bass after playing the guitar for 5 years and the action seems awfully high to me. The string's above the 12th fret are about 1.5cm above the fretboard. Is this high or am I a guitar ignoramus?
That's high, but it's not too above average. I believe mine is around 1.25cm at the 12th, but ~4 years ago (on a different bass) it was substantially higher than that due to a rather poor neck and my playing much loud metal.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Wow, really? My A and D strings (highest due to radiusing) are 4mm off the fretboard at the 12th fret.
Well I'm measuring them from here (work) with my brain (muscle memory) and the last knuckle of my pinky (1 inch exactly, which is roughly 2cm), so I guess my 12th fret action is closer to 1cm. :downs: I will actually measure it when I get home.

I also need a higher action because of my decision to use a pick when playing punk music, which is pretty much all I play.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have a speed-playing question!

I'm a big fan of Paddy Costello, the bassist for Dillinger Four, and the way the dude plays the bass seems a mystery to me. Finding clips on youtube of how he plays is sort of hard (especially since his tubby rear end usually has his shirt off during shows, god bless him), but here's a half-way decent one, and this one would be better if there weren't people bouncing around, but there's a couple good shots in there. Anyhoo, things I can figure out on my own:
  • He plays over the pickups
  • His bass is sorta low-slung
  • Uses the thumb-over-the-neck technique
I've been playing my bass at the bridge with a 1.0mm pick and my hand gets pretty sore after a short time, which I think is just cuz I'm a wuss. It could be because the strings have more resistance at the bridge than over the pickups, too. Throughout my bass playing career (if you could call it that) I've never been able to do the thumb-over-the-neck technique, which I'm guessing would help with muting all of the strings I'm not playing. I'm also guessing that this is how he can seemingly strum the bass and still only make one note come out, but like I said, it's a mystery.

Any tips? If I haven't been clear about something up there or if you need more information, let me know.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

ZombiePeanut posted:

The secret seems to be playing very loudly with lots of gain, having your band do the same thing so as to produce an incomprehensible wall of sound and then recording through god knows what. I'm impressed you can actually pick the bass out.
I can get my aspirations laughed at by my girlfriend, thank you very much :colbert:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Stux posted:

Plectrums own.
:c00lbert: I can't rock as hard witout one.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Stux posted:

How else am I meant to get that bright scooped sound without a pick?!
I crank my mids so I can be heard in the middle of two half-stacks and a psychotic drummer, but I get your meaning :3:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Akur0 posted:

I never saw the point in playing a pick but for the sake of being openminded are there any actual benefits?
Speaking from experience, I can rock harder, play faster, and not get laughed off-stage at punk shows. I've never been able to duplicate the aggressive, just plain mean sounds you can get out of using a pick with my fingers.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dundee McFluffers posted:

I have trouble making my middle finger move independently of my index finger. I have the same problem on my fretting hand :c
No problem! That book will definitely help out if used as directed in the book. Start everything really slowly and work your way up.

Akur0 posted:

yeah but I can't slap with a pick either, plus I've seen techniques that seem to be on par speed wise with picking such as double thumbing and four fingering.

four finger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qig3yw5XqQ0

double thumb *for those who don't know perhaps*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnngPvedXEM
1.) Slapping is for hippies
2.) I am no hippie

See what I'm doing here? I'm deliberately avoiding making any sort of point because this is a really retarded argument. edit: Seems I've missed the argument, though :( Also your *i believe it should be played* post made my head blow-up.

scuz fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 14, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

RoryGilmore posted:

I posted in here ages ago looking to get a bass, but ran into money problems again and didn't get to pick one up. I'm fine now, so I'm going back into it.

I found http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-MB4-Skull-and-Crossbones-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=515227 on craigslist for pretty cheap, aside from the awful skull design, how do you guys think it looks? If it's rear end, I'm just going to go with the GSR200.
Your idea of the GSR200 is a solid one, and Scarf is right on the money; if it's a Squier, it had better be either 20 years old or a vintage modified.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Quick amp question:

I have an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro running through a 2x12" 4 ohm cabinet, and I can't seem to get as much volume out of there as I'd like without turning on the graphic EQ and putting the "boost" slider all the way to the top. Would having two 8 ohm cabinets be significantly louder than a single 4 ohm cabinet?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
So my buddy and I are starting up some stuff again, and I'm kinda worried about how I'm gonna do in a 3-piece (guitar, bass, drums) setting. My question is how do you guys get the kinks out after sitting for a while and not playing regularly? Are there certain exercises that you run through? Are some better than others? I'm just going through my bass fitness book, and while it's a start, it isn't really for ear training at all :(

edit: AND ANOTHER THING! Any special tricks to making sure the sound is beefy as hell with only 3 people? Should I gently caress around with EQs, etc?

scuz fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 30, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the help, dudes! I really feel like I owe it to the guitarist to not be any kind of speed bump; he's paid his fuckin dues and deserves a band that isn't weighing him down :allears:

Anyways, it's gonna be punk rock, so an angrier sound is completely appropriate. I think I have the tools to make "angry bass" happen (j-bass, Ampeg, 2x12 cab, lots of PICKS!). I do have a Wasabi distortion pedal, but I think the battery ran out on it or something. I've been listening to Mclusky and some early Green Day to see how a 3-piece bassist does it, and for those that haven't heard Mclusky, they are a GREAT example of how a bassist in a band fucks around with empty space, and Mike Dirnt is what makes Green Day a really stand-out band (at least I think so). The guitarist and I like to gently caress around with timings and crazy harmonies so it'll sure be fun :).

I'm super goddamned excited to start this and will post back when I've got more poo poo figured out :3: I'll also be back tomorrow night after practice and I figure out what I need to work on :ohdear:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

STINKFACE posted:

I've been playing bass for a year at this point and with the knowledge that I'm going to continue, I'm just about ready to put down some bux on a better amp. I've been using http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B20-1X12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=481622 and while it definitely served its purpose and was a good deal, it's limiting my sound despite pedals/new strings. I'm just looking for something with more options and perhaps a bigger kick, as I'm often playing with friends. I'm aiming for something around $400 but 500 isn't off limits. Suggestions?

EDIT - scuz, listen to nomeansno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPyAii6f-hc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQLFpJuZ8zI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mj9FhrlEh0&feature=related
That's a mean ol' sound there! Pretty awesome band, too, thanks for showing them to me :) That's a 3-piece?! Goddamn, they're loud.

Are you going for a combo, or just anything you can find in the $400-$500 range?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

STINKFACE posted:

Definitely going for the combo
I dunno much about combo amps, but a quick skimming of the TalkBass classifieds didn't turn up much, and musiciansfriend.com didn't have anything in that price range much better than what you have now. Are you just concerned about portability?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yay, scarf is here to rescue you from my questionable advice :glomp:

STINKFACE posted:

Yeah, I travel between home and school a decent amount and would love some mobility. It's not too big of an issue though, as I could just leave my current combo in one spot and whatever I bought at the other. Outside of combos, what fits the price range and is recommendable?
I was able to put together a giggable half-stack with a cheap cabinet and really awesome amp for around $500. Some dude was selling a GK 800RB for $250 on craigslist because something was wrong with it (turned out to be a fuse and he was just too lazy to fix it), and I found a 2x12 Avatar cabinet on TalkBass for $250 plus shipping.

So I guess the advice is the same for a budget that limited: buy used! Crawl around on your local craigslist, musicgoround.com, and the talkbass.com classifieds section. Good used amp brands to look for are Gallien-Krueger (you can find an 800RB pretty much anywhere) and Ampeg (although they're more expensive due to being an AMPEG). For cabinets, look for the Avatar brand on TalkBass.com's classified section. I think there are like 4 or 5 up right now. Otherwise every local guitar shop around me usually has a DIY 1x15 sitting around for like $150, so that would be a decent stop-gap until you can afford something bigger.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well it's definitely not a line selector as there's only one line coming out of it, but I would think octaver.

Edit: nevermind I am dum :saddowns:

scuz fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 4, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Possibly-useless crosspost from the trades thread:

quote:

Anyone wanna trade their Gallien-Krueger 700RBII or 800RB for my Ampeg SVT-3 Pro? It's American-made, and has the old funky lettering on the front, in perfect working order with brand new JJ's in the pre-amp section. I just want my GK sound back :ohdear:

I would also sell it for $350 shipped.
I'm selling the thing for $350 locally, and I'm sort of wondering if it's a decent price. I looked around on ebay and stuff, but they were all brand-new ones for like $600, so not a very good reference point. Scarf you should buy this from me; it would be so pretty with your other Ampeg stuff :3:

scuz fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 9, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, when did Fender raise their prices on everything? I remember when the Geddy signature was like $750, and now it's over a grand. What happened?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Last year. Some have come back down a tad. Also, some previously MIJ/CIJ models like the Jaguar bass are now MIM.
:( That's a drag. I'll just have to find a used one somewhere, or figure out which pickups it uses and just buy those v:shobon:v

Also, ebay has my dream amp and I hope the dude plans on selling it to me :dance:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Schatten posted:

I love those 800RBs! They rock! But I got into bass in the 80's so what do you expect? =D

Odd about the Geddy prices. I got an offer to trade my Jag for one, but it never clicked as 'awe' when playing one in GC. Great fast neck, and great sounds, but something just didn't feel "it" for me at least. If you are looking for one, I can get you in touch with the guy that was trying to trade me. It is a year old this Dec and I think he'll let it go for cheaper than a new one (old price new one).
I am :f5:ing my ebay messages folder like crazy hoping s/he'll respond with "sure, I'll take your offer and even overnight it to you". Ugh, it's so gorgeous.

And as much as I want a Geddy, it's just daydream fuel at this point since I'm way poor. I'm happy with the jazz I have now (custom painted finish even!), with the exception of a few dead spots in the neck.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Schatten posted:

Well... I didn't jinx it, but I didn't win it. Here it is if you wanted to know: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130335641505&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

The guy had it on RickResource.com and didn't get any bites. He lowered it and before I could get a response, he put it on the bay. I could have had it for 1300 shipped too! The prices on Ricks are coming down because people are trying to move them but the money isn't there.

Currently selling off some gear, bringing in a few more pedals... I should do a review sometime soon. Lots of different OD pedals for guitar/bass and a few nifty things inbound as well. In another year, I'll probably sell all of em. =)
Bummer dude; that thing is slick-lookin.

Eagerly awaiting your bass OD pedal feature. I'm looking for something to replace my Wasabi Distortion and have no idea where to start.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had a Big Muff (non-bass) for a while and I guess it never really blew me away. The sound I'm looking for may be more of an overdrive; I just went through 12 video reviews on bassfuzz.com's youtube channel and couldn't really latch on to anything.

The sort of fuzziness I was after is much like this, but I'm a little apprehensive about buying a Boss ODB-1, which I guess is what makes that bass sound like that.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Schatten posted:

Cool sound.
Yeah, it's what I would call "grindy" because I'm bad at explaining in non-flowery adjectives what sort of tone I want :) I'm thinking there may be more behind that sound than just an overdrive pedal, but that may be a good place to start.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

black_mastermind posted:

So, if the wait on a Rick is two years, and they can charge whatever they want for one, how is someone who has never played one before supposed to decide they want to wait that long and spend that much? I've never seen one in a store to try out. I guess if I bought one and didn't like it I could flip it quickly enough, but the whole thing seems kind of silly. Of course, none of that stops me from wanting one.

Are they that big of a deal?
They have a very distinctive sound and I don't remember ever hearing a bad word regarding their construction. I dunno, I think they're a little over-hyped, though.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks for pedal advice, guys. The first step in my long, long road to ultimate bass tonality is probably trading away DrChu's Wasabi Distortion pedal for something more appropriate for bass guitar. The sounds is pretty awesome, but I can't keep the low-end in there for some reason. Maybe I'm messing up the settings somewhere, I dunno.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Good luck, Scarf! Livin' the dream! OH YEAH

I've been going back over the bassfuzz.com youtube channel and found this little guy: Barber Dirty Bomb. It sounds way awesome and it's only $100, which is pretty much the most I can justify on spending on something like this :). I'll definitely check out the FullTone, but even that name suggests something like $250+ :(

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Oh yeah, always. And I'm glad we're finally making the transition from being a "local" band to a "regional" band. We're up in WV at Marshall for a Halloween show and in NC next month. It'll be fun, just grueling. It's just like exercise... gotta get back into "gigging shape."
Ooooo, a Halloween show! Are you doing any fun dress-up poo poo?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's a pretty impressive beard to aspire to! Also a very pretty man-purse.

Okay, I put DrChu's distortion puddle in the Gear Trades thread; hopefully someone will bite.

Awesome; nobody's made a "Distortion Puddle" pedal. I'm doin' it.

Edit: Has anyone attempted Bruzzido's mod on their Avatar B212? http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1397777 Looks like fun. I already HATE the tweeter they have in that box, so replacing it with a midrange driver sounds like it would be very beneficial.

scuz fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 13, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

It's a pretty standard overdriven tube-amp tone to my ears. I'd say look into a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal. Pretty loving awesome tube emulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr8kdWpB3U4
I'm not really an effects guy, but would putting an overdrive before the VT pedal make sense as long as you're not dialing in too much grit on the OD pedal?

The VT pedal sound awesome, by the way. If you're going for that tone, Stinkface, that's the pedal to get. Edit: nevermind, you're sold already :)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Considering the VT has it's own drive... what would be the point? But yeah, since it's essentially an amp-emulator/modeler, you'd probably want it at the end of your chain.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Nevermind :)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

STINKFACE posted:

while there's a meeting of the minds going on here i might as well ask; decent pc audio interface? i'm planning on milking my parents for one when i head home for christmas. nothing too extravagant because i've just hit the one year mark and i'd feel like a tool splurging on a top-of-the-line system to record my pavement covers. keep in mind i'm technologically challenged so you might need to spell out for me anything necessary that won't come in the box.
My favorite, quick-and-dirty solution is the M-Audio Mobile Pre. It's pretty basic stuff, but it's compact and easy to use.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo. For $500 this looks awesome.

Edit: I am not sponsored by M-Audio. :downs: For most of this stuff, don't forget to purchase a studio-quality DI box. I can't think of any off the top of my head :(

Also don't forget this thread!

scuz fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 13, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

STINKFACE posted:

bookmarked the presonus and m-audio links, they both seem great (especially the size, i'm cramped in a little corner).

scarf/scuz - you guys have any links to your material? you're all over this thread with great advice and i'd love to hear what you play
:3: I'm flattered! Scarf is without question a better bass player than I, but my last band has some recordings (saved in .flac) here. I really liked that band, and I'm starting a new thing with one of the guitarists. It's punk, punk, and punk.

The recording method on my bass (pretty prominent in Happy Hours) is my bass -> GK 400RBIII -> board (the GK has a direct-out).

Edit: The files naming scheme I chose on the files is completely rear end-backwards, sorry about that.

Also at the time of those recordings I wasn't near the bassist that I am today and am a little ashamed of how simple my lines were. Live and learn!

scuz fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 13, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

STINKFACE posted:

scuz - ha, i love this poo poo. in a weird way i've found my musical sensibilities have done a 360 (got into music in a big way through the clash in middle school -> developed an indie infatuation -> found out i like the drone more than the melody with slowdive/mbv -> just give me big black and shut up!). i never thought i'd fall back into a punk mindset but i just can't help wanting to sound as dirty and ugly as possible :shobon:
Same here! My cousin made me a tape of Dookie when I was like 9 and I played it until the tape machine ate it. Then I was all about jazz, then metal, then noiserock (which I still love), and then out of nowhere I decided to join a punk band v:shobon:v

The guy singing Home of the Street Sweepers and Mr. Hyde is the guy I'm doing the new band with. He's a really talented guy and has material for years; I'm really excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Yeah, I was never happy with the mix of the studio stuff. Our harmonica player took it upon himself to do the mixing...
Aww, an ambitious harmonica player...

quote:

With headphones... And home entertainment speakers...
:psypop:

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY