Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zincaito
Nov 18, 2003

i love adventures
After about a month or so of research and hearing good things, I decided to buy a new Squier Vintage Modified Jazz from Musician's Friend about 2 weeks ago.

Unfortunately it arrived with a massive 1"+ area of missing/damaged clearcoat on the bottom of the body near the strap button PLUS a 1/4"-1/2" gash in the binding on the neck around the 15th fret. The hosed up clearcoat actually gave me a splinter because there was a sharp area sticking out. There was also a pretty heavy neck bow, but that could have been fixed with a setup. Obviously I'm returning it to them for a full refund.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting something different. I thought the neck would be pretty thin, and it starts that way near the headstock, but it seemed to almost double in size by the 20th fret. Anyone know if the MIM Fender Jazz's would have the same scale?

Also I wasn't impressed with the pickups. They were noisy enough that they were basically unusable without both turned up all the way. I expected some noise but not quite that much. I really like the classic Jaco sound with lots of mid bite from the bridge and I couldn't get there without a ton of noise. I'm not sure if this would get any better with a Fender MIM Jazz. Anyone have input? Maybe my expectations of a $279 bass were just too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zincaito
Nov 18, 2003

i love adventures
Yeah, I didn't mean scale as in scale length. Scale as in neck width from lowest string to highest string. The nut width is 1.5" according to the internet, but it gets much, much bigger than that closer to the bridge. I want it to be smaller at the bridge end of the fingerboard.

zincaito
Nov 18, 2003

i love adventures
The problem with that is the music stores around here (Blacksburg VA) are terrible. The only one that offers anything better than sub-$200 garbage only carries G&L and $1000+ Warwicks.

The nearest Guitar Center is over 200 miles away so I'm in a rough position to just try different basses out. I may just have to plan a trip the next time I go home, since there's one about 40 miles from there. Thanks for your help dawgs.

zincaito
Nov 18, 2003

i love adventures

Scarf posted:

"What're Melons, Man?" (shout-out to Herbie Hancock's Watermelon Man)

As an amateur who plays in his spare time (read: an hour a week max), this was a really cool line that got me to pick up the bass and spend 30 minutes learning it by ear. Fun stuff! I'll have to check out the original too.