Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
There really is no big secret other than practice.

I've always found it helpful to learn songs that I liked that had some challenge; it makes it much easier to practice and get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Those who use a pick likely do so because they like the sound/feel it makes. Probably nothing more, nothing less. It's a tool just like anything else. If they have no interest in slapping or finger technique, why do it? Just like I have no interest in using a pick so I don't. Individual taste.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

dissin department posted:

One small thing I can tell you about learning is that your right hand position is really important. By that, I mean where you pluck. I don't know where you do now, but try close to the bridge (not too close, just right over that pickup). It's a small thing to mention and I'm coming out of nowhere with it, but it took me a few years of playing to realize.
Of course, it's all a preference thing. I pluck all over, depending on what I'm playing.

Different strokes... I play right off the fretboard... I can be much more precise that way, and gets a percussive hit sound that I like.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I think there's two main uses for it- one for speed, the other for quick access to all strings.

I use 3 fingers for speed, it's not uncommon to do runs of about 12 notes a second, or mixing up regular beats with triplets/quintuplets thrown in.

The other technique is one that still amazes me (read: I have no skill at it) which is using one finger per string, much like an oldschool fingerpick guitarist would. They can jump over strings with precision.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Here's a sample of me doing the triplet thing I was talking about, first slow and then fast. Mildly muddy, sorry bout that.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
That's not a normal setup for me, that's just a quick recording, which is just miking an amp with a usb interface, playing a warwick rockbass. My usual sound is really very sharp and twangy; I play metal and my sound is very percussive, which is pretty much the reason why I bother doing those triplets and stuff in the first place since you'd never hear them with a plain low-end sound.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I think it might depend on what style you want to play. I wouldn't say guitarists are behind since they already have the coordination going on and the fretboard is already familiar. What you might have a leg up-on are polyrhythms where you don't follow the drums- you'd be able to understand and pick up on what you should be playing much more quickly.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I took a long break, and I got back into speed by learning covers of bands I liked. Also, having another musician of a similar level kick your rear end to keep you motivated works too (in this case, your guitarist).

With a 3-piece, you can have an angrier sound (assuming its appropriate). I like messing with distortion and fuzzboxes and stuff to get unique sounds that fill up the low end without killing the guitars.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I don't drop tune myself but I know folks who do, same reason you would for a guitar, to make quick and easy access to power chords and the like.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Random: does using non-coated strings on a fretless eat the poo poo out of the fretboard?

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Laserface posted:

How often should I change the preamp batteries in my Warwick Rockbass Corvette? My brother has a bunch of ESPs and said he changes his once a year and he plays pretty much an hour a day every day, plus rehearsal which is 5hrs a week. I do maybe 7hrs all up in a week.

Also, does cut/boosting the EQ on the preamp make the batteries drain faster? I recently dabbled with the settings (normally just run it as neutral and then EQ the amp) for a jam session with good results but last night at jam it was incredibly clippy (probably in the preamp on the bass since it wasnt tripping my clip light on my amp) rather than the smoothness I had the week before.

This is a problem with the Rockbasses, it affected a certain line. There's a wiring problem, so in effect the battery is always being drained, regardless of if it's being played. I can vouch for this since I've had two and they both had this problem. Batteries lasted me about 1-2 weeks. See http://www.warwickrockbass.com/news/46.htm

This is a bit of an old problem though- you used to be able to get it fixed for free but I'm not sure you can do that anymore. In any case, I'd bet that's what your issue is. Once I got mine fixed, I don't think I've changed it in two years. The clippy sound you hear is likely the result of a dying battery. Mine used to get crackly.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Money that you're promised and never given!

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
why would anyone want a 2-string bass?

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
It's such a limited range though, you can't even do a single scale in place. When I first saw it I thought that maybe it was some weird MIDI bass or something, but I dunno. I'm even someone who prefers a 4-string over a 5 but 2, I don't get that.

Pedal seems strange to me. That's not the kind of sound I like so I wouldn't use it anyway, but if they want a foot control why not make it an actual pedal (like a whammy pedal)?

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
As a metal player myself, if you cut your mids you won't be heard in a band. You can be FELT, and that's what a lot of metal bassists do- and nothing wrong with that if that's your goal, but you need higher frequencies if you want to stand out. I myself have a very sharp attack and play fast with my right hand so I need the mids in order to be heard.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Yeah, that stuff is total Iron Maiden worship. You also don't need fretboard clanking with that kind of sound. Clearness of sound owes a lot to the EQ of the other instruments, he's pretty loud in the mix as well. (the way it should be!)

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Nothing better than a new toy! Even when it's just a pedal, I love the invigorating feeling.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Geisladisk posted:

Can anyone give me some tips on training up three-fingered plucking? I've always played using only two fingers, but lately I've been playing some very fast stuff, and having a extra finger to slap deh bass would be helpful.

I'm not sure there's any real tips, just practice. It takes a little while to get used to it. I think I started with a simple RMI- pattern (ring, middle, index, rest). Some people like to go index to ring, others (like me) go ring to index.

After that I went to RMIM-I- so it's like a triplet sixteenths with two eighths after it. And after that, RMIRMI comes quickly after.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Loading in/out is the worst part of playing shows. I hate it so, so much.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
hit thumb pull index profit

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I'm still fussing with how soon to change strings before recording. I have studio time in two weeks (woo!) and figure I'll wait until a week before, it's like superstition to me. Leave too little time and the strings won't be stretched, and too much and they'll dull. I like 'em as twangy as possible.

This whole post is pretty irrelevant, I'm just excited to finally record again! :banjo:

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I tend to write for guitar and bass at the same time, in a tracking program. It makes it so much easier when you can hear if the parts you're writing out mesh together on the spot.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Nothing special really. It does depend on the band since newer and older school of thrash are a bit different, but the bass is usually in its typical role, keeping the root and locking down. Old school thrash bass tends not to go crazy, it leaves the guitars to do that. Newer thrash tends to be more creative in the bass department.

I guess just get used to endurance- you'll be sixteenth noting all night long.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Live free or die, man... play any note you want! :colbert:

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I've broken some, but it doesn't happen often. It was also always GHS brand.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Nah, changing strings is easy. The only thing I would recommend is changing one at a time, and by that I mean yes you're changing the whole set, but take one string off, replace it, then move on to the next as opposed to taking them all off at once.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I personally love impact noise. It's all a matter of taste and the style of music.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Pssht... bright twangy roundwounds for life!

(all depends on what kind of sound you want!)

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
If you don't care about your sound, then no one else will either.

This is why you fine tune your sound while the band is playing, and listen to their comments.
I have no problem being heard live, and that's while playing metal. Your bass can sound great by itself, but that doesn't reflect how it will sound while a band is playing.

Don't rely on a PA guy, rely on yourself.

NarkyBark fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 30, 2010

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Some grooves might be 3/4 (or similar) instead of 4/4, but not obviously so- so what you might think is a 4-count is actually a quicker 3-count. Just set the metronome on what feels like the right beat and go from there? I have that trouble sometimes when writing stuff and realizing later I put the wrong metronome beat to start it off.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
You could still get me one, right? :shepface:

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
That thing looks like it detects ghosts.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I feel like I should know this but I don't since I've never had two cabs:

For argument's sake, say I have two 8-ohm cabs, each rated at 500w.

Should my 4-ohm head be rated for 500w or 1000w? My question isn't about ohms, it's about if having two cabs doubles what you can output for power. So if I used a 500w head, I'd be running each cab at half power?

NarkyBark fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 8, 2011

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I was actually asking more about the dual setup than the rest, but it's all good. I think I've changed my mind anyway- I'll likely go with a single 1000w 8-ohm cab (because I'm getting it cheap) but instead will try to find a power amp that's a good fit for it. (and if you guys have any suggestions on THAT, I'm all ears!)

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Not worried about sound, I already have a full setup, I'm just upgrading my sound output. I think I'm most likely going to get a Carvin power amp, they're one of the few I can find that has bridged Speakon outputs, and seem a bit cheaper than others. I'm still probably going to add some sort of additional EQ, but won't know until I try the whole new arangement. I might be able to get away with my pod and bass' EQ.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I've been playing a 4'er downtuned to B or C# for so long that I find it hard to play with regular tension now.

That being said, I'm looking for a 2nd decent bass too, just so I don't have to keep switching between those two tunings.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Any preferred method for removing rust off of a pickup? It sounds fine, just looks crappy, wondering if there was an easy way without a lot of damage risk.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I have plenty of funk already on the frets on my "real" bass. That's the green stuff though. This is pure brown rust. (and it's not my funk since I just bought this one, nice backup ibanez bass that I got for cheap.)

I figured WD40 would work but thought I'd ask first, thanks!

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I seem to have inflicted myself with some sort of tendonosis or carpal tunnel or something... I haven't been able to play in a week, and I have two shows coming up next week... weep for me :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I don't hear anything wrong with it. Is it your speakers?