Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
I'm hoping this is the right place to put this. I didn't want to start another thread, because this seemed to fit.

My husband and I are going to try our hands at stringed instruments, him the guitar and myself the bass. We've both done music for many years, so reading notes is not an issue, and theory we are pretty okay on. However, neither of us know anything about the instruments or really anything else.

We want to do electric. I was looking at the Ibanez basses (the one I like is pretty and blue, which of course is the best way to pick out an instrument!), because they seemed to be very popular for beginning instruments, and the internet liked them. But I see lots of other brands in this thread.

I'm also looking for what people recommend doing first. We will be doing lessons, as we don't know even know how to hold the instruments properly. What are reasonable goals to achieve within a year? At what point does it become plausible to be able to play a song? Is the theory terribly different from wind instruments or piano? What is important lino I should know before I go look like an idiot?

Any help anyone could give me would be awesome. Feel free to PM or IM me too. I have a ton to learn, so any information will help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
So here's my other question:

If I get this bass, what amp should I get to go with it? I like it because it is pretty and the reviews seemed good, although I really don't have anything to bass my like on besides the color. :)

I'm not looking for anything loud. I'm really looking for something that sounds good at low volume, because we live in a tiny development. Any cheap yet decent suggestions?

I'd like to order an amp sooner rather than later, as my husband's stuff will be coming in this week as well.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR

CatchrNdRy posted:

Do you or anyone know of popular (ie easy to recognize, not necessarily "good") songs with an easy bass and guitar combo?

I am looking for this too. A book I can order would be great if there is nothing accessible online. We just need either readable music or tabs, because we can figure out most of it from there.

So far I've had just one lesson, but I'm eating it up. It's just like piano but different, and also my piano was never blue, so that automatically makes me happy. :) However, I'd like to rock out to something more awesome than Ode to Joy in our beginner books.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
What is the best way to find a good bass teacher?

I'm being taught right now by a young man at a local music store. He's a great musician, nice guy... but not a great teacher. I feel like I spend most of my lesson watching him twiddle around with his bass instead of playing myself, and it's frustrating.

I'm terrified to go into craigslist and look, because I might be eaten by grues, but the local music stores don't seem to have any bass teachers listed. Lots of guitar teachers though.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR

Duke of Phillips posted:

I was thinking that my best bet would be a Peavey starter kit, seen here. The owner quoted me $220 with a free lesson, and it seemed reasonable, but I'm not sure how good the bass is. I've heard of Peavey before, but I imagine this is their bargain basement model, and I'm a little wary. This is new, by the way.

That's the amp I have, because it was cheap. I'm a complete newbie, but it seems fine to me for practicing. I figure by the time I know that it stinks, I'll be good enough to warrant a decent one. :) I don't play very loud anyway, because that would scare my cats (and bother my neighbors). So I can't tell you if you can really crank the volume and get a good sound.