Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke of Phillips
Jul 6, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump
I've been thinking about learning how to play bass for a while now, and I'm getting ready to throw down some money and time to learn to play. I figured I'd get the beginners book listed on the first page:

And take some local lessons to get started. The local shops quoted me at $15 for half hour one on one sessions; I think maybe about ten of those when I'm beginning and hopefully I'll be motivated enough to just keep practicing and learning after that.

As far as setups go, money's an issue so I'm trying to be cheap, but still have something that I can continue to practice on for a few years. I gathered that used would be the way to go, and found some options. A sorta-dingy Ibanez G10 (i think this is the model number) caught my eye, but that might have been the $110 price tag :v: I also saw a GSR200 for about $200, but it was used and not in fantastic shape. Another potential that I liked the feel of was a Yamaha RBX270 that was on sale for $180, but I've never heard anything good or bad about Yamaha bass, so again, I'm not sure.

I was thinking that my best bet would be a Peavey starter kit, seen here. The owner quoted me $220 with a free lesson, and it seemed reasonable, but I'm not sure how good the bass is. I've heard of Peavey before, but I imagine this is their bargain basement model, and I'm a little wary. This is new, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU