Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Basic Poster posted:

Although I should probably not, thinking of putting together a parts bass. If for nothing else just increasing my functional understanding of the thing for bettering my own setups and maintenance work.

All the companies I fussed with in the 00s are all gone now. Anyone know of a good supplier of parts including necks and bodies or blanks along with the rest of it?

I do have most if not all the tools, do wood projects regularly. Just tough to see who is good a trustworthy and whats just some aliexpress front

Warmoth is still going strong, and some of their designs are pretty cool. StewMac has body blanks if you're comfortable doing all the woodwork. I've also heard good things about APW guitars if you're a Eurogoon.

My current white whale: a fretless 5-string (with fret markers if possible) and an active EQ that doesn't weigh a thousand pounds or cost $9k. Been playing a Sire V7 for a bit and I absolutely love how it sounds and plays, but I have a connective tissue disorder and the overall weight and neck dive are just absolutely killing me.

This is my current frontrunner, but I'm also looking at building a Kiesel Thanos, which is coming out a little under 3k (basically max budget for me). Is there anything else I should be looking into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Basic Poster posted:

So this parts bass process has lead me down what I am sure is an extremely dumb and u healthy path.

A few months ago I was saving up to get a mike lull built. At the price point though I could get a cnc router.

How dumb of an idea money wise is it to get into building my own? Its hard to get a feel for whats out there. I am aware of some of the custom builders out there (lull, brubaker, mdt, sandberg, etc).

But on some closer inspection, it seems there are loads of smaller builders that no one knows of. Are boutique basses a fools errand in terms of not having it eat you financially? I do have some ideas that aren’t atrocious as differentiators and am set up to wind my own pickups. Have an EE degree and a history of custom wood work (custom stair builder through most of college).

Is the boutique market a thing that can at least pay for itself as a hobby deal? Or do you make basses for the five people you know and then put up reverb ads that no one responds to?

My dad got really into luthiery for a while, mostly using discounted wood and remnants from the local Martin factory. He did some really amazing work, but because he didn't put any effort into advertising he never sold one, despite having a few in the local music store showroom.

I think custom bass is even more of a niche industry, and while I have no doubt that you have/can learn the skills needed, without a herculean branding effort it will probably always be an expensive hobby and not a profitable business.

Definitely try building one anyway if you have access to the tools, materials, and machines, it's fun af.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, as a poor fucker who does everything in a DAW I really enjoy the gear posts here.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

That's wild, I've never run into that particular issue before. Root through the washer bins at a hardware store, maybe?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Great minds think alike, I ended up pulling the trigger on the EHB1005F and it's awesome. Fit and finish are insane for the price point, it plays like a dream, and it's less than half the weight of the Sire it's replacing. Still getting used to the scale difference, but I was able to play for almost 45 minutes straight yesterday, which is the longest session I've had since my CTD diagnosis. Ergonomics are REAL, y'all.

Also had the tech do a quick setup on my old SR375 5-string and I still can't believe how great it plays for a $175 Craigslist find.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Howdy, I want to learn bass. Looking at something just above what's considered beginner basses. The 2 that caught my interest was the G&L Tribute Kiloton in Black Frost and the Schecter Stiletto Stealth-4. Anyone have either of these that could provide some input of your experiences with them?

These are very, very different bass guitars and will play, sound, and feel very different. You can expect the G&L to feel a bit beefier due to the thickness of the neck and the number of frets. The Schecter will likely play a bit faster/easier and give you way more sounds to work with, but (as mentioned above) the quality control on the fret height is historically a bit iffy.

IMO your best bet will always be to go to a music store and play everything you can find in your price range; this will give you the best balance of value, playability, sound, and looks.

Also want to chime in and echo the recommendations for the Ibanez SR line, they pack an insane amount of value into their instruments and they are just eminently playable basses with amazing ergonomics (another important point for you to consider, as bass guitars are notoriously heavy and cumbersome). Despite owning several much nicer instruments I still get a ton of mileage out my SR375 because it just feels so goddamn good to play.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

The Science Goy posted:

I'll be the token curmudgeon who poopoos on the SR line - their necks just feel all wrong too me, to the point where it's a distraction.

How so? Too thin? Too flat? Too wide? Just don't like the shape?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

The Science Goy posted:

Neck has no heft to it, and string spacing is far too narrow, especially on the bridge side for 5-strings.

Bear in mind that I come from an upright background, so I'm accustomed to plenty of chonk in the neck and string spacing wide enough to park a truck between.

Makes sense, I'm extremely hypermobile and come from a guitar background so your deal breakers are my selling points lol

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Kevin Bacon posted:

something like the scarlett 2i2 or scarlett solo i think its called is good, though there are probably cheaper ones that work fine.

I have a Scarlett 2i2 and it's fantastic. After that all you need is a DAW (Cakewalk is free and fantastic) and some amp sims (Ignite's SHB-1 and Audio Assault's Bass Grinder Free would probably be good for OP as a metal fan) and you're good to go.

I don't even play through my actual amp anymore if I'm going to be using headphones, the DAW/Sim combo is way more fun for bedroom playing.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Any recommendations for good amp/cab VSTs? I'm looking primarily for a nice, full metal/rock tone. I've been enjoying Ignite's free SHB modeler, but the flexibility and separate cab VST leave a bit to be desired. I've been really enjoying Amped's guitar stuff, are their bass amp modelers just as good?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I have two basses and they’re both Ibanez 5-strings because I’m a godless heathen.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Tasty as gently caress.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

:10bux: says they're a triathlete.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I have a set of Alpines with swappable cores that I use for attending shows and they're pretty fantastic.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Octave bass was a tool to fight back against synth bass. The key is you're using it in midrange or higher. You're not playing much below C because that's just not going to carry through the amp or mix.

Speaking of effects, can someone decipher what overdrive or mix of things this guy is using? That dingwall sounds disgusting, especially at the chorus drop at 0:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgyYJu1in7c

LOL @ the entire comments section completely ignoring the music and talking about their hair and clothes like they're an idol band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

That''s cause they are :lol:. They're from one of the biggest kpop companies.

Well that definitely tracks, then.