Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Azver posted:

On a serious note, I have a couple of questions. I've been considering getting a new bass, something fretless maybe. But if I go fretless, I want something with a nice hard ebony neck, cause after I took a look at the grooves my friend's strings ate into his rosewood fretboard, it turned me off to fretless for a long time. So, because I need to do everything the hard way, here's my deal.

I want to buy a Vintage Modified 70's Jazz bass, and slowly swap out the parts. In particular, putting in a warmoth neck. Anyone around here have any experience swapping out the necks of basses? Does it have any kind of effect on the instrument outside of having a new neck? Like, would say, the tone of the instrument be negatively effected?

As long as you play flatwounds, and not roundwounds, I don't see any reason why it would chew up your fretboard. I don't think I'd personally buy a bass then spend more money on a new neck for it than I paid for the bass, but that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

scrabbleship posted:

I have been looking to buy a Precision style bass for some time now and I was wondering what people think the best P bass in the $300-$500 price range. I am thinking about just buying the standard Fender P Bass but I figure it would be good to know what else is available before I purchase it. I saw the Peavey Fury on the first page and it sounded promising but I haven't been able to find any so far.

In that price range if you buy used you could pick up a Fender US Highway 1 P bass, or if you look hard enough you could probably also find a Japanese or US made one which would be a step up from most MIM ones. If you're willing to look into basses that have a jazz pickup as well as a P pickup the G&L Tribute SB-2s are in that price range, you can pick one up new for under $500 and I've heard they're great instruments with the same electronics as the US ones. I've never tried the Tribute SB-2s but the Tribute L2000s are really nice for the money. Another P/J bass to look into would be the Ibanez RKB900, if you can find one for under $400 they're a killer deal but they're hard to come by used and they do have a really thick neck.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

You don't need to put your thumb over the neck to mute other strings while playing with a pick. You can mute with your fretting hand without using your thumb. Also you shouldn't necessarily be hitting other strings while playing aggresively with a pick. I know when I play with a pick I only get sound out of the string I want, although right now I can't really think of how I do it. I'm not sure if I mute with one hand or just make sure I'm only hitting one string, probably a combination of the two. Maybe later I'll go play with a pick and come back and explain how I do it, I don't play with a pick much these days so it's hard to visualize it.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Make sure you play before you but it. Danelectros are very 'unique' basses and don't really feel/play like most other basses. As far as getting a short scale it's not really a big deal, but at 5'9 you really shouldn't have any problems playing a regular bass. I mean poo poo I'm 5'6 and I get along just fine.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Scarf posted:

I could have sworn my old GSR200 was passive. But that was years and years ago.

My first bass was a gsr200 and it was definitely passive. This was about 8 years ago. Also the RKBs do rule, although I'm not really too sad I sold mine since my G&L p bass kicks the poo poo out of it.