Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mack
Mar 6, 2005
I'm looking to buy my first bass and get started. Right now I can't decide between these $200-300:

1. Ibanez GSR200
2. Ibanez GSR200FM
3. Epiphone SG EB-3
4. Ibanez SR300
5. Ibanez SR300DX

Just wondering which one is best suited for me and the best value for my money. I'm looking for a J-Bass, and will be using it to play in my friend's band. They don't gig yet, and most likely wont for another year or so, but they always get together in his garage and jam. So I want something that will last me at least a year in before I feel I need to upgrade.

If there's any other bass you guys recommend for that price point let me know, I don't know anything just going from reviews and such. The SR300/DX has 'active bass,' not exactly sure what that means but if it helps out a lot is it worth spending ~$50 more? Also what's the difference between te GSR200 to FM and the SR300 to DX?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mack
Mar 6, 2005
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Hm, I think I might just go with a GSR200 since you can pick up a new one for $199.99. Would it be a bad idea to grab used one for $120-150 or so?

As for an amp, is there anything under $100 that's good enough to jam at my friend's garage and alone in my bedroom? I don't want to spend much more because I'm not going to be playing outside, and not having too much funds. In the off chance that I needed more power, my friend's dad has a HUGE amp set up I could always use.

Either way, I'm going to head over to Guitar Center Sunday to try them out. Only problem is that I don't know how to play it, so what can I do to test them out?

Edit: How is this amp? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-MAX-126-Bass-Practice-Combo-104003462-i1145641.gc

mack fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 26, 2008