Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
I have a similar situation to Bubble Babble. But its not a spouse and we aren't taking formal lessons.

I have about two years of half assed classical guitar (had a private instructor against my wishes), but the last time I really played was about 10 years ago. I have recently been messing around with bass tabs and playing to popular songs. I have also been slowly grinding through a book, but its not much of an instant gratification.

My friend is a moderate "picked it up in college and can read notes" type of guitarist suggested we play together. He suggested I learn how to read the bass clef well, and not much else. The lesson book is pretty scant as well.

So we aren't taking lessons together or anything, just wanted to get together like once a week and play. In the meantime while I re-learn how to read notes, what sort of songs would be easy for us to start with? If he is strumming along to chords can't I just play the root and third and fifth of his chord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Boogan Bear posted:

Yes, this is perfectly fine. Also try just playing the scale (up and down) for whatever chord he plays. Mix it up a bit as you get more comfortable. Above all else though, keep the beat. When everyone, even the drummer is soloing, it falls on the bassists shoulders to hold them all in place and keep them from getting off key, tempo, and rhythm.

I haven't seen much talk about exercises in this thread, so I'm going to go ahead and throw out the "spider" exercise:

1. Place all four fingers of your left hand on adjacent frets on the D string (I recommend starting on the 12th fret).
2. Without lifting any other finger off the string, move your index finger up to the G string. Next (still without lifting any other finger, including the index finger) move your middle finger up to the G string, and then repeat with your ring and pinky fingers.
3. Now try going from the G back down to the D string (same order, index finger first)

Eventually you should be able to start on the E string and climb all the way up to the G string and back down again. This exercise is great for building finger strength. I recommend moving your fingers in time with a metronome (100-200bpm), and if you want a little more challenge, pluck the two strings your fingers are on (alternating) with your right hand.

Most people find that going up one string with the ring finger is the most difficult part of this exercise, so don't be discouraged if the ring finger gives you trouble.

I could post some picture examples if anyone needs them.

I think I got the idea. I remember it being described by my old guitar instructor as using your fingers like a spider who moves one leg at a time.

Do you or anyone know of popular (ie easy to recognize, not necessarily "good") songs with an easy bass and guitar combo?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Bubble Babble posted:

I am looking for this too. A book I can order would be great if there is nothing accessible online. We just need either readable music or tabs, because we can figure out most of it from there.

So far I've had just one lesson, but I'm eating it up. It's just like piano but different, and also my piano was never blue, so that automatically makes me happy. :) However, I'd like to rock out to something more awesome than Ode to Joy in our beginner books.

That Ingrid Michaelson song "The Way I Am" is pretty easy to play and find tabs for. So is, "Stand By me" and the aforementioned "Hash Pipe". Unfortunately, there isn't much of an acoustic guitar part in any.