Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Pokey Araya posted:

All I was saying was 2x12s sound rad, he was asking about 2x12 cabs or 4x10s, both are good, together even better. Also I was dispelling the rumor that you can't use guitar poo poo with bass. I used an extreme example. Most people playing at a normal volume will have no problems with guitar speakers, and they will not blow up an amp if you match the resistance. Second off yeah, I turn poo poo up and tour around the country doing it, so of course my equipment gets thrashed.

My advice for beginners:

A Fender rumble 500 is perfect for 99% of gigs. Eden makes great amps and cabs, it's hard to go wrong with them. Start with 4 strings and learn some old Motown songs. Practice every day. Also don't be afraid to experiment with stuff

Better?

I'm just teasing, those two quotes were too funny to not put together. Godspeed to you and everyone else playing ridiculous rigs! If it were feasible, I'd love to run like 3-4 Ampeg V4s through a bunch of Bergantino sealed cabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've been pleasantly surprised by Hartke amps in the past, and they can probably be had for dirt cheap used.

Rumbles are crap in my experience. The speakers are decent, but the amps are garbage. I can remember diming every single control on one before and still not cutting through.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Scarf posted:

Anyone rockin a Genzler these days? Any thoughts?

I'd like to try a Magellan, but my Mesa D800+ does everything I need, so I haven't had amp GAS for a while.

Sold my Genz Benz Streamliner and Shuttlemax once I got the Mesa, but kept the Shuttle 9.0 as a backup, since it's so small and powerful.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
drat, Garry Lowe passed today. The announcement that he was fighting cancer came only yesterday, so I guess he had wanted to keep things private.

A unique player, from a unique band. May he rest easy. I'll be cranking Hemi-Vision and Heated today for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el5d2iwHnMU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlZ-j4QfhHc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRwXfxjz0KQ

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Stringchat: Has anyone ever tried using a mixed set of rounds and flats? I like rounds for the way they cut through a mix, but the G is always a little too bright, so I'm thinking about experimenting with a flatwound G.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Bottom Liner posted:

I'd try a thicker gauge G before going full flat

Man, I dunno about that, I find thinner is better for the higher strings. I play with a pick though so my needs are probably different from most.

The G string is just such a bastard to balance with the rest, especially on a 5 string. Right now I'm thinking I may need to change up the pickups on my Dingwall to get the results I really want. The stock ones have a very clear, transparent sound, but I've come to realize I want more midrange, especially low mids.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Yeah tapes are the way to go for acoustic basses. I loved the way they felt on my Thunderchief.

I still kind of miss that bass. It was a lot of fun to play, but really only useful for solo practice.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

chitoryu12 posted:

Any suggestions for pick thickness? I was using one of my 0.5mm guitar picks and it works kinda well but has a loud slapping noise on every note, so I was going to switch to 1.5mm once my hands stop being tired.

Go big or go home.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

pumped up for school posted:

"the one that got away" came up before in this thread. I regret selling my first bass, and one just popped up on my local CL. $100 for a Peavey Fury. I remember it weighed a ton, was boring and somewhat lifeless, but I'm going to check it out anyway.

My mother used to call it "buying back her childhood" so I guess it is genetic and I can blame her.

Mine was in a pristine case, and I remember how good it smelled every time I opened it. I'd pay a lot more for that.

I shouldn't have sold my black/maple P Bass Special. That thing had a great neck, and good pickups too.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

chitoryu12 posted:

Picking is basically identical to regular guitar playing,

I don't know if you should approach bass pickstyle this way. I find I move my wrist and fingers more when picking guitar, whereas with bass I try to keep them in a steady position and generate motion with the forearm, à la Gary Willis.

This video series has been posted a bunch of times, but it's a great resource for all styles of bass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRrmxH1wVlE

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Sockington posted:

Here’s my board of lots of gain. Really want to get a Rusty Box too, like above :allears:

I've been sorely tempted by a Rusty Box on craigslist, but the weird power requirements are holding me back. I'd have to get a different cable to use it with my Strymon Zuma, and I don't want to have to use the Rusty Box adapter in addition to the Zuma.

Anyone using delay on bass? I'm looking into getting something with tap tempo.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Figure out if you want analog or digital delay. I have a Deluxe Memory Boy which has the tap tempo you want as well as a bunch of other bells and whistles for creating crazy feedback noises and then I also have a Joyo digital delay which is cheap but I am okay dialing in the delay by hand with that one.

Ideally I'd love to have a Moog MF-104M. Gordie Johnson was using one when I saw Big Sugar last week, and I think that might have been the best analog delay sound I've ever heard from a live rock band. Sadly, they're going to be pretty much impossible to find, and like all Moogerfoogers, pretty impractical to use.

I'm not opposed to digital modeling if it sounds good. I'd like to compare some of the Strymon modelers one of these days.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Krustic posted:

I want one of those too. It has a built in wah that you can use with expression pedal.

The MF Boost looks interesting too. With an expression you can use it as a volume pedal.

I found a good deal locally on an El Capistan, and I'm not regretting the purchase at all. It sounds great, is really easy to dial in, and has a ton of useful features. I was just having some fun with the hold function of the tap tempo switch, which gives you infinite repeats.

Prevailing wisdom seems to be to put delay last in the signal chain, but I'm loving the sound of the Whirlwind phaser after the El Capistan, for some trippy Lee Perry-esque dub vibes.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Spanish Manlove posted:

Btw is it common to get dead strings when buying bass strings? The last two DR packs I've tried have at least one string thats DOA. I originally thought it was my half assed set up on my bass but the second pack had a different dead string. I'm on my way to guitar center to try a different brand steel 5string set. Im thinking d'addario

Yup. Labella is one of the worst companies for this, especially since their flats are so expensive. I've even gotten obviously defective strings from them in the past, like where the length was slightly wrong, or the ball end was bunched up in a weird way and wouldn't pass through the bridge.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I always try to wind the strings all the way down to the bottom of the post to give the best angle at the nut, though I guess you don't have to do this if you have a bass with a tilt-back headstock. I measure out the exact distance required for each string before bending and snipping the excess. Sometimes it's not much, depending on the brand of string.

Hellblazer187 posted:

My strings are still going strong but while we're on string chat, in thought I'd ask if anyone has a recommendation for short scale strings.

D'addario Tapewounds would be fun on a short scale for a super mellow tone with easy playability.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Schwza posted:

Anyone have compression pedal recommendations? The spectracomp looks interesting but I haven't seen it at any local stores.

There's a really good thread on Talkbass right now where one of their moderators is testing every compressor he can get his hands on: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/testing-compressors-cali-smoothie-empress-diamond-keeley-fea-darkglass-doc-lloyd-jhs-more.1345638/

I have the Diamond Bass Comp Jr. on my board right now, but it's more of an always-on tone enhancer, rather than a utility compressor or limiter. Running at 18V gives it massive headroom, and it has an extremely useful tilt EQ that sounds good in pretty much any setting.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

The Science Goy posted:

I like using tall stools for studio work. It's kind of in between standing and chair height.

I'm going to check out two heads this weekend and am curious of the hive mind's experience. The heads are a Genzler Magellan 800 and a Bergantino Forte 700.

I play funk fusion on four and five string electric (Herbie to Corea to Prince to Hendrix) and also big band jazz with upright bass. I'll be plugging the heads into my MarkBass 212 cab at the store. My current head is a Little Mark III, which I will keep for backup and rehearsal.

Any experience with these heads?

Ooo, those are two that I'd love to play through. I haven't heard the Genzler, but I've owned several Genz Benz amps. If the Genzler is anything like those, it'll have a fairly tight low end with the EQ switches off, but there should be one that extends the lower bass frequencies. I also found all my Genz Benz amps sounded much better at higher gain settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

The Science Goy posted:

After a comparison of these two heads (and a Phil Jones 800w that I was completely unaware of) I came home with this:

I very nearly chose the Phil Jones, as it sounded great with my EUB. However I liked the clarity and low B definition of the Forte, and the Forte just seemed to speak better.

Your impressions of the Forte line up with other reviews I've read. I really need to try one of those.

Not that I have any complaints about my Mesa. I haven't had any serious desire for a new amp since I got the D800+.