Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

well the thing of it is this, I'm trying to move in the direction of jazz funk and metal so I'm trying to pick up a fretless five stringer for practicing and learning.

I admit I still have a way to go as a bassist but I know I want a five stringer when I start taking my musical prospects seriously.

so uhh, could you reccomend a five stringer, fretless or not?

*edit*
my intentions for this guitar is just something to beat around btw, it isn't something I would take on stage or anything like that.

If you're not looking to drop some serious cash, I'd head over to https://www.rondomusic.net and see what strikes your fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I consider myself to be pretty lucky. I never had problems using my pinky finger to fret notes. In fact, sometimes I find it more dominant than my ring finger. Probably because I don't have very large hands. Say I was fretting a G on the low E string (3rd fret) and wanted to hit the octave on the D string at the 5th fret. More often than not I'll use my pinky. This lets me keep my hand in a more relaxed position rather than trying to stretch it out.

It's weird though, it's not even an uncomfortable stretch to hit it with my ring finger, I've just always found it quite comfortable to do it with my pinky.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jan posted:

Personally I've found that I never play with my pinky or ring fingers individually, but rather with both at once... Meaning I pretty much have a 3-fingered hand. I should force myself to lose that bad habit before it's too late.

From my understanding, that's a pretty common technique for upright bass playing. I could be wrong of course since I don't play upright (yet) but I think in that case it's done to assist with fretting since it takes a little more hand strength to fret the notes.

But yes, for playing electric bass, I would say start forcing yourself to use them individually.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Only downside to a violin-bass (and even then, it's only a downside for some) is that the string spacing is almost always very narrow. It may take some extra effort on your part getting used to having them so close together.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

I Read Kotaku! posted:

Well the reason I clicked this thread in the first place: my friend has had a bass for a while but has no amp. It makes me sad seeing him all hunched over with his chin glued to it trying to hear anything so I want to get him an amp for christmas. What would be a good little bedroom practice amp for him? He'd only really be using it once a week at the most but I'd still like to find something decent enough.

Price range?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don't play bass, but I play a fair bit of guitar, and own five of those. I'm considering picking up a cheap bass to see if I like it, and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on either a Washburn XB100, or a Dean Edge 1, which I haven't seen mentioned in this thread.

I realize these aren't on any "recommended" lists, but all I'm looking for is something that isn't utter crap. I have gift certificates to a local music shop, and this is pretty much all they have at the moment (the Washburn is used, in great cosmetic shape, and they're asking $200 for the bass and a bag. The Deans are new, they have a variety, and they're going for $169).

Also, is it normal for a bass to have fairly significant fret buzz (unplugged - I haven't plugged any in to see if it's audible through an amp), or is that just bad setup?

Nope, not normal. That could be as simple as the bass not being properly set-up, or as complicated as having poorly leveled frets.

I'd recommend going for an Ibanez GSR200 for that price range over a Dean or Washburn.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSR200-4String-Bass?sku=519524

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Anyone know anything about Scherl and Roth uprights? There's a used one for sale near here for $500.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

h_double posted:

I restrung a bass for the first time last night (I'm a guitar player who has been dipping into bass over the past couple of years) and I have to wonder why I've never seen bass-style tuners (where you stick the string end down into the hole) on a guitar? They are so easy, and I love not having the bare string end poking out!

Also I have a couple of questions about bass hardware. I have an SX (Rondo) P-J bass I bought a few years ago. I really like the way that it looks, and the neck plays pretty nicely, although the hardware is pretty lovely. I am looking for some relatively inexpensive pickups to swap in; are EMG Selects decent? Is there anything else (preferably in a ~$50-75 price range for the set) that I should look at?

Lastly, does anybody know where I could find a black bass nut? It's not essential, but right now the bass has all-black hardware and I really like that look.

You did cut the string tips to length first though, right? As for a black nut, I'd check at https://www.stewmac.com

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

I've read that by doing that it cuts the life of the string down considerably. I dunno if it's true or not.

Hahaha not at all.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrChu posted:

Is the Stu Hamm an Urge or Urge II? The Urges were medium scale (32") and just had two jazz pickups, the Urge II are regular scale (34") and have two jazz pickups with a precision in-between. They are decent (but kinda ugly) basses, and the Urge II is really flexible with its pickup options.
Huh, I always thought the original Urge was also available in a JPJ confg.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

82Daion posted:

You recall correctly. The USA version of the original had the JPJ configuration-there was also an MIM model that had just the J-style pickups.

Ah, thanks for the enlightenment.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Rashomon posted:

I want to pick up a bass for recording purposes. I played around with them for a while at Guitar Center and a couple stores today. My current idea is to get either the sexy 70s Squier Jazz Bass with the black blocks and binding, or a Squier P Bass special with 2 pickups, or the SX equivalent of either of those. I've read this whole thread and haven't really gotten any conclusive answers...how does Squier compare to SX? I liked the Jazz Bass when I played it, it had some decent tones even though I don't really know much about bass. I quite possibly would replace the pickups with GFS if that would be an improvement.

The VM Jazz is absolutely giggable right off the rack (assuming its properly set-up). I did a review of one on here a while back. Feels very solid and well put together, although it has a clearly "machined" feel to it. The pickups on the one I tried were a bit noisy, so maybe do some shielding, but other than that, no immediate need to replace the bridge, tuners, pickups, etc.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

That's high, but it's not too above average. I believe mine is around 1.25cm at the 12th, but ~4 years ago (on a different bass) it was substantially higher than that due to a rather poor neck and my playing much loud metal.

Wow, really? My A and D strings (highest due to radiusing) are 4mm off the fretboard at the 12th fret.

edit: measuring to the bottom of the string that is since that's how much clearance it actually is.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 9, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bonus posted:

Yes I have a question, I'd like to get a sound like the bass in this song. I have a Fender jazz bass but I'm looking toward purchasing a 5 string bass.
My guess is that flatwound strings would help, right? What kind of other equipment and effects would lead toward producing a sound such as that?

Pretty typical reggae sound actually. Only listened to about 30 sec of the bassline, lowest note I hear is an E, so unless he's going lower later in the song a 5-string isn't necessary. It's likely done on a Jazz or Precision bass.

You are right that flatwounds will help. But in addition to that, focus most of your volume-mix on your neck pickup, like 75-90% and only turn up your bridge pickup MAX to about 10%. Then just roll off the tone-knob until you get the desired sound. It will also help to adjust your fingering up closer to the neck if you're not already doing so. I'd say sound the notes directly over the neck pickup, or a tad closer to the neck.

The EQ on your amp will play a big role as well. Focus on slightly boosting your lows and low mids (like in the 40hz to 250hz range) with the lows boosted slightly more than the low mids. You might even want to cut the highs depending on how bright your amp is. But start with them flat.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 11, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'm going to buy a bass on the 27th from Rondo, and it doesn't come with a thumbrest. I guess that's normal, but the only bass I've ever played is my cousin's, and it does have a thumbrest. Should I get one, or is it frowned upon?

If it's only a matter of preference, does anybody have an idea of where I can get one for cheap? Allparts has one for $2.50, but I'm not paying $7 shipping for a part that weighs a gram or so.

EDIT: Speaking of flatwounds, where can I get a 6-string set of flatwounds? Am I doomed to buying a 5 string set and adding an individual string from juststrings?

Yeah, thumbrests aren't really necessary. If you're new to bass and not set in your ways just yet, I'd highly recommend looking into learning to float your thumb. Aside from the benefits of being able to mute more easily, I find it has helped decrease my hand fatigue by about 10-fold; I'm not stretching across my strings when I move up to the D and G. And good lord, definitely with a 6-string this would be a MUST in my opinion.

As for the strings, I'd email JustStrings about it. They have a great customer service department. If they don't have any 6-string sets, I'm sure they could tell you where to look or put you in contact with a manufacturer.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Didn't really feel like this deserved its own thread but wanted to share. It's amazing how you can always discover something new, even with equipment you've had for years. I've had my Boss SYB-3 bass synth pedal for several years, really only had 2-3 sounds that I always used from it. Well tonight I decided to have a nice long tweak session and found an awesome sound using the Wave Shape modes (modes 8 and 9 if you have the pedal)

Starts with mode 9 and then near the end mode 8. Mode 8 I'm not as crazy about, but still pretty cool.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

UkraineGirls posted:

Since I've only been playing for like 2 months, I'm trying to teach myself to float my thumb before I get too set in my ways. Instead of feeling natural or easier, my thumb just seems to get in the way more often than not, and I'm constantly having to make sure its muting the strings and not just hanging out there. I assume that these things come with time, but any tips for floating?

It's like a golf-swing. The more you think about it, the harder it's going to be. In fact, DON'T make sure it's constantly muting something. Let it just hang out. Relax and just let it lay on a string or even just barely hover above one.

Just be sure you keep your thumb and you entire hand as relaxed as possible. It'll come with time.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

UkraineGirls posted:

Thanks, I figured it was just a practice thing. I assume a few days of an aching shoulder goes along with it as well?

That's a tell-tale sign that you're too tense. Are you playing standing up or sitting down? If standing, how low do you sling your bass on your strap?

It wouldn't hurt to maybe get some dexterity-balls (those little metal balls you roll around in your hand) or just do some kind of hand exercise stuff to help loosen your fingers and especially your thumb.

Actually, here's a tip for ANY bass player regarding hand dexterity:

Anyone here a fan of playing poker? Practice chip-tricks, with both hands. Your ability to do stuff like quick triplets and fast ghost-notes will improve exponentially. At least, it did for me.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Also, it just dawned on me that you may have your hand in the same kind of position as you did when you anchored on the pickup/rest/whatever. Like this:

Instead, I find its much more comfortable to kind of lay your thumb on its side a bit, like this:

For me it cuts down on hand and wrist fatigue.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

stun runner posted:

I kind of rest my thumb against the higher pickup the whole time. Is that bad?

Neither technique is considered "correct." Lots of great bass players anchor, lots of great bass players float.

I mainly just recommended it for GorillaSalsa originally because he said he was on a 6-string. I really can't imagine it being comfortable to anchor and stretch across a 6-string bass... Unless you have really big hands.

I used to anchor exclusively. But after playing a 2 hour show my hand was killing me, so I looked into floating. It's all about what's more comfortable to you. But I'd definitely say it's worth it to teach yourself both techniques.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

yeah but I can't slap with a pick either, plus I've seen techniques that seem to be on par speed wise with picking such as double thumbing and four fingering.

Bullshit you can't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV10D9Mp7_8

Educate yoself foo' :hehe:

(if you can't tell, he's holding the pick between his fingers)

Scarf fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 14, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Scarf posted:

Bullshit you can't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV10D9Mp7_8

Educate yoself foo' :hehe:

(if you can't tell, he's holding the pick between his fingers)

Quoted for new page because it is loving awesome and refutes the argument that you can't slap w/ a pick :D

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

yeah but still I consider pick bass to be completely oxymoron.

*edit*

yeah one guy is talented but why waste time trying to learn how to pick and slap when you can just play a bass *in the way I belive it should be played* with your fingers. Leave picks to electric guitarists.

*second edit*

besides name one recognized great that exclusively uses a pick that matches the skill of Wooten or Matt Garrison

Paul McCartney, Chris Squire, Mike Gordon, Phil Lesh, John Entwhistle.

Why did you put in the word "exclusively?" Was it because you already thought of people who used picks that were great players but wanted to try and exclude them because they also used their fingers and other techniques as well; thus trying to prove your point?

You need to realize that pick/plectrum/whatever is just a tool. It is used to gain certain tones that are not attainable via fingers. If you put a stigma on playing bass with a pick, then you have a lot to learn.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 14, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

Most of the great greats, I.E Jaco, Wooten, Matt ect can't be touched by the guys you listed but it doesn't change the fact that they are accomplished musicians.

I am now convinced you are mentally handicapped if you don't think Paul loving McCartney and John Entwhistle are on the same level as the guys who would not even exist as musicians if it were not for them.

Here's a thought. Matt Garrison is a big proponent of ramps. I personally see them as a crutch. I've never had a problem keeping up my finger speed and not digging far under my strings w/o the use of a ramp.

Therefore Matt Garrison is an inferior bassist.

See where I'm going here?

edit: ^^^ Not arrogant, just extremely ignorant.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

Not really but I did admit that I have a bias and I didn't insult you nor need a reason to be insulted.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to get personal, so I apologize for that. This instrument isn't just a hobby of mine, it's a passion. And I just think you need to open your mind a LOT in terms of the fundamental roots of the instrument and its techniques.

There is MUCH more to the world of bass than the technical wank-fests of Wooten and Jaco.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

And I'm not saying that, I'm saying to me what seperates a bass player from a guitarist is how they play thier instrument and to me the biggest thing that sets them aside is the fact that ALL electric guitarists play with a pick and not ALL bass players play with a pick.
Robby Krieger of the Doors finger picked on guitar. As did Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits as well as MANY more electric guitarists. I think what you need to realize is that what separates bass from guitar is the fundamental theory that one is melody driven, and the other is rhythmically driven.

quote:

I will admit I am being closeminded but I am firmly admiting that I have a bias and I am stating that there is a reason to my bias, if you disagree I apologize but lord forgive me if I offend you over a simple opinion.

I can appreciate a differing opinion. I just felt like it's an uninformed opinion. Hence me saying "ignorant." Which isn't necessarily an insult.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

I would like to ask if we have no hard feelings then, I'm here to learn because I know for a fact that I'm not a master and my goal in hanging around here is to learn.

Oh absolutely. I'm just very very passionate about this stuff. And I'm a debater by nature so.. yeah, I get a little heated :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
And I swear to god if anyone makes a "master debater" joke I'm going to loving lose it...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

well in that last bit *while not nessacarily trying to earn the last word*

Please try to understand that you're not the only person here who's passion in life is music, I just happened to find playing a little later than you but I've loved music as long as I was nine.

I apologize again if I've irritated or offended you, but my goal *as funny as it may sound* is composing classical pieces in the future. I consider picking up an instrument to be meer baby steps in my future goals.

*edit*

And to show I'm a good sport, what are some good novice bass players that play pick that you could reccomend *study wise*. I'm acctually learning a song by a pick bassist at this current moment. Toshiya of Dir En Grey is a pick bassist, and I'm learning the song "Akuro no Oka".

Novice? I couldn't really tell you. I wouldn't really call him novice, but Gene Simmons of Kiss maybe? His lines are pretty easy to follow.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

Thank you. And again I'm truly sorry if I've given you the wrong impression to the message I was trying to present due to either my ignorance or lack of delivery.

No harm no foul man.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Mike Gordon really does get an awesome sound picking his bass. It's funny, if you're familiar with your Phishtory... He used to be exclusively a finger-picker, but Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead showed him the kinds of sounds he could get by using a pick (and this was also the time he started switching over to playing Modulus basses).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKh4dTYc8VQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7EB2NWJpMU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMjUR1ga5yM

I love that "plunk" sound :)

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 14, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ZombiePeanut posted:

Yeah, if you're learning songs by cover it's not really necessary to learn them meticulously. Also unless you have real tabs or a good ear, don't expect internet tabs to be anywhere near 100% correct. Usually if you know scales reasonably well you can fix obvious fuckups.

If you're having trouble with a part also try moving things around on strings. A lot of times internet tabs will have the correct notes, but in a nonsensical place on the fretboard which makes it significantly harder than it needs to be to play.

Actually, for something as intricate as Entwhistle's stuff, I'd consider it an accomplishment to be able to play it note for note. It will also give you an insight as to how he (and other artists) construct their lines. You can find some cool, recurring aspect/theme and incorporate it into your own playing.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pantsfish posted:

Twofold question:

1.) I am saving for a new bass and thus selling an old one. I have an Ibanez GSR200 (purchased on this thread's recommendation) that is in perfect condition. Finish and everything are in perfect shape, as is the body. The only issue is that it's missing a string and I have zero loving desire to restring the thing. Will that affect is resale value that much? What's a reasonable price to ask with the strings or without?

2.) I'm torn between a 5-string Fender J-Bass and now, after reading this thread, a Lakland 55-01. My biggest concern is that my $800 could go towards a decent J-Bass or the lowest-end Lakland. I've heard the B string on the 5501 is wonderful so I'm leaning that direction. Any suggestions there?

Dude, just buy a string. It looks ghetto as gently caress to try and sell a bass missing strings, regardless of condition.

It's been my experience that Skyline Laklands are of better quality than U.S. Fenders. However, the 55-01 is a completely different sound than a J-bass. Go to http://www.lakland.com/ac_4401.htm and listen.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ADINSX posted:

I know laklands are expensive (you can tell because they don't list the price) but if I ever "make it big" or otherwise start taking bass really seriously I would literally put my dick on this guitar

http://www.lakland.com/decade.htm

Huge fan of the sound with the neck pickup on the jazz setting with the rounds

The Skyline Decade will run you about $1200. All Skyline Laklands are priced to be competitive with MIA Fenders and EBMM basses.

It's the US Laklands that are pretty expensive. But they're priced to be competitive with other boutique basses. They're priced about the same as a new Modulus, but they're cheaper than a Fodera or Alembic or a Wal...

pantsfish posted:

I don't need an exact replica or anything. That and that site gives me the impression that the range on a Lakland is considerably wider. And I forgot to mention that I'm still in the learning stages of repair and upgrading so I'd like something that I won't have to tinker much with (if at all) to get the best possible sound out of it. Am I safe in assuming that the 55-01 meets those criteria?

I'd say the 01s will do you just fine. I'd even say look to see if you can find a used 55-02 for that price. Both are pretty versatile, but the 02 is much moreso in my opinion. The 01 just has a different sound from the 02s. Plus the 02s have US-made electronics.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 7, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
The Decade is probably in my #2-3 spot for basses I want.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

Maybe I just need to see it in person. It just looks like a mesh/mess of other bits. Classic P bass neck, MM bridge, Jag~ish/SG~ish body. Not sure what to think of it really.

Don't really get the first two... The neck is more along the lines of a J-bass but with a 10" radius (I think modern j-basses have 9"-9.5"), but almost every bass out there today is similar to either a P or J neck. The only similarities it has to an MM bridge is the little overhang that covers the thru-bridge holes.

It should also be noted that this bass was heavily designed by an internet forum.

And regardless of it's looks, it sounds awesome: http://www.lakland.com/ac_decade.htm

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 7, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pantsfish posted:

Well I found a used 55-02 on Talkbass for $800 and another like-new one with a better finish and hard case for $1000. Am I safe to assume these are both pretty good deals?

Yeah, that's about standard for it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Concatenation posted:

Ampeg B2R and 200W B series Cab for $1800 AUS? Good deal? (about $1300 USD but bear in mind that Australia tends to pay slightly more for music gear anyway)

Dude on my local music forums is selling his, apparently they're USA-made and in very good nick. He's not had any interest in them for about 2 months so I may be able to talk him down.

Anything to watch out for if I play through it? It'll be for metal, mostly pick style, clean.

edit: also if anyone has any other recommendations for metal bass amps in the same price range please fire away! My aim is to jam and eventually gig with it.

That's pretty pricey in my opinion, but again, not familiar with the pricing trends in Aus. For comparison though, I have the same rig (older, late 90s version of those) plus a BSE115 as well... I got the entire rig for $700 US.

I'd place that head at maybe 2001 or so? Maybe about the time when Loud Ind. took over SLM. (Oh, you're using stock photos, never mind)

Best thing you can do is just set the EQ flat and put it through the paces, then start to play with it. Also, a lot of people complain about the B2R being "sterile" but I haven't found this to be the case. They're usually comparing it to an SVT which isn't fair at all. I really like the sound of the amp with the gain at about 2'oclock or slightly more if you can get away with it w/o clipping a ton.

Oh, and don't be surprised if you end up turning the highs down a LOT. It is a pretty bright amp. And be sure you reach around back of the cabinet and turn the horn to either -6db or off completely. It'll have a little attenuator knob near the cable jacks.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pantsfish posted:

I just got my Lakland 55-02 off the UPS truck and I loving love it! The guy had it set up and restringed before he shipped it. Playing the thing's like giving a stick of butter a handjob. Thanks for the recommendation Scarf :)

No prob man. Glad you went with the Lakland. Does it have the Bartolini pickups, or the Lakland pickups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pantsfish posted:

Laklands.

Ahhh nice. I love the barts in mine, but the response to the Lakland pickups have been overwhelmingly positive.

Enjoy it!