Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

looking to start out on the bass after 10 years of non-serious guitar playing where I'm just sorta okay.
I've been looking at the Squires and Epiphones and I really like the look of the Squire Bronco Bass where the reviews say it kinda feels halfway between a strat and a real bass. Are there any opinions on it as a cheap transitional or an actual keeper?
They say you have to replace the stock 'strat' pickup to get any decent range, but it being a learning/ home demo tool I'm not too worried for now (and if the range is significantly less I could probably keep my standard practice amp, right?)
I like the way it looks and it's short scale, but should I just spend a bit more for a Squire P or Jass bass and just learn the longer neck?

I'd only give myself a couple of hundred to spend and if I move up in basses it might be a fun curiosity to keep around.

what do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bump because Im still considering something for first bass.
How okay are SX J&P bass copies, really?
I was window shopping and these were about the cheapest in sight, so I assumed they must be awful, but on harmony-central the reviews are pretty good compared to more expensive Squires.

Any experiences?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

MancXVI posted:

My experience so far has been lovely. Like I said in my earlier post, it required a small neck adjustment when I received it, but other than that it's been great. So far I've replaced the pots and shielded the control cavity, which made a nice difference for a $15 investment. My next upgrade is probably going to be a set of GFS pickups, though my tinkering brain may not settle for anything less than making my own.

I like it because I know it'll grow with me. You may feel more comfortable spending the extra $100 on a Vintage Modified Squier and having a better bass out of the box, but there's no replacing the learning experience of busting out your soldering iron and spending the money you saved on upgrades.

Addendum: Part of why I like this bass so much is because it appeals to my DIY sensibilities. If you don't have the drive or need to gently caress with the things you buy, you might not like it as much. That being said, it's a steal and a half for $120.

I got one and its noisy and the strings buzz pretty bad, but boy is it fun to screw around with
This is what she looks like right now

an upside down sg pickguard works pretty well as a place to keep your hand, with one screw left high for a thumb rest.
I could keep all sorts of handy stuff in the circuitry cavity too :)