Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...
I have been looking to buy a Precision style bass for some time now and I was wondering what people think the best P bass in the $300-$500 price range. I am thinking about just buying the standard Fender P Bass but I figure it would be good to know what else is available before I purchase it. I saw the Peavey Fury on the first page and it sounded promising but I haven't been able to find any so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

Tehdude posted:

While a fretless is good for jazz and maybe funk (I wouldn't know), it would pretty much completely close off metal to you. I don't know much about five-stringers, someone else here can help you out there, but I just thought I'd point that out.

That's not completely true; some metal musicians have used the fretless bass to great success like Steve DiGiorgio and Tony Franklin.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

Schatten posted:

Depends what you are playing through. At this point, strings and a pick.
Dave Ellefson has some great chops.

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidellefson
http://mrlamius.blogspot.com/2009/06/bass-interview-with-dave-ellefson.html

Yeah if you want to see what using a pick can do for your tone, just look at the difference between Megadeth's first album and Peace Sells. I am pretty sure it is the same bass and amp because the band was too poor from drugs to get vastly different equipment back then.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...
I've been meaning to replace the pickups that came on my Mexican P-bass for a while now and I think I am finally up to it. Anyone got any recommendations for what I should replace them with? I kind of want to retain a P-bass like sound but I am really up for any suggestions that my work.