Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I've been playing bass for almost a year. I need to get some inspiration and start playing 3-4 hours a day again. First 2 weeks I played bass that's about how much I played.... then I started playing like 3-4 hours a week, then 3-4 hours every other week.

Now I play like 5 hours a week.... at most. I just finally learned my first whole song, and can actually play along with it when I listen to the CD. I dick around with metronome's and I can play consistently at 160bpm, even with constant fret changes.... I just completely loving suck at rhythm when it comes to actually playing a song and trying to imitate it.

I have buddies who are the reason I got into bass, and they are never really willing to help me out or sit down and jam cause I'm a beginner. I have an instructor, but I feel like everything he teaches me I could just get from ultimate-guitar tabs and then listen to the song for rhythm. He has taught me some technique.... but for the most part when he watches me play(even since day one) he just says how I have everything down.

I can play fluidly with 4 fingers on the fretting hand, and I strum/pick whatever with 3 fingers all the time. This just felt kinda natural to me from day one...

It's my new years resolution to start devoting a minimum of 1hr(hopefully 2-3 every other at least) to bass playing, and then rub it in my friends faces and not join their band when they ask! Good luck to you fellow newbie(even though I shouldn't be.... been playin a drat year') bass goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Wet Pussy posted:

I ordered a bass last week and got it on Saturday, and start lessons sometime next week so I'm excited. Is there a good way to learn chords online? Do you even use chords that much on a bass? I'm pretty well-versed in music and play many instruments and have a ton of theory knowledge behind my belt so I am not looking for an explanation of chords, just fingerings and appropriate use of them.

I am also thrilled at how Blues scales sound on this thing--bass and blues were meant to be!

I just started playing bass in the past year, and I have only recently started to learn songs. I started out with a lot of finger exercises, however I'd recommend trying to learn songs and what not first...and get your finger skills up that way.

I have be come fairly creative though through just messing around, and I often play 2 strings at once. I have seen artists like Les Claypool and such play 3-4 strings at once(triple/quadruple stops) on a bass.

I haven't yet learned how to do any triple stops that sound good yet though :smith:

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Sorry to clutter the thread with 'sale' stuff, but this is very bass related so I figured I'd post it here!

I'm selling my EBS Unichorus Bass Effect pedal in SA-Mart... I currently have it listed for $130, originally had it up for $140... and I'll drop it down to $120 if any of you folks are interested. Really need some money now and I have to get rid of some of my gear :(

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3274803

Thanks!