Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/4853482671.html

Real Gold?

I know nothing about GTIs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Hey I'm not really sure where to ask this so I hope I'm not whitenoising this thread up, but I'm helping a friend sell a car before they move and I was wondering, where other than craigslist would you list a car you were selling? Would it be kosher to ask you guys to look at my ad and either confirm I know how to write a car listing, or tear me a new one?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/4853110497.html
:stare:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

HEY VAPER posted:

Hey I'm not really sure where to ask this so I hope I'm not whitenoising this thread up, but I'm helping a friend sell a car before they move and I was wondering, where other than craigslist would you list a car you were selling? Would it be kosher to ask you guys to look at my ad and either confirm I know how to write a car listing, or tear me a new one?

CL is basically it in the US AFAIK. Post it up, we'll make fun of you in the most constructive way possible I promise.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Can someone translate "lost interest in" and "hell of a start to a fun car"? Does a mechanic/car guy get started on something fun like this and go 'eh, not fun anymore' (despite saying it would be) or is it more likely that the $ it would take to get it even running as a 'fun car' is prohibitive to getting it there, so they dump it on someone else?

I'm looking for a project, so I want to know what to stay away from

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Mk2 8v GTIs were basically warmed over versions of the regular golf. You want the 16v to get the real deal in a Mk2.

Edit: at that price it could go either way. If the body is rust free it might be worth it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 20, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cacafuego posted:

Can someone translate "lost interest in" and "hell of a start to a fun car"? Does a mechanic/car guy get started on something fun like this and go 'eh, not fun anymore' (despite saying it would be) or is it more likely that the $ it would take to get it even running as a 'fun car' is prohibitive to getting it there, so they dump it on someone else?

I'm looking for a project, so I want to know what to stay away from

Exactly that, dudes rarely if ever correctly budget for all of the things you need to get a pretty out-there project car going. Often what will happen is that they figure out they can do all of the work themselves, run up against something like correctly engineered engine mounts for their new Frankenporsche that requires someone who actually knows what the gently caress they're doing and who will charge accordingly, and then throw it into the too-hard-basket and sell it.

Another thing that happens is that wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends/non-denominational-significant-others will tell them to Get Rid Of That Piece Of poo poo From My Garage Or It's Over. Someone posted a bunch of pictures in a thread recently of their home setup for working on their bike and their buddies' bikes and as much as I would loved a rig like that, it was basically ways_Memento_would_get_divorced.jpg.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I'm not sure I have seen a floor so thoroughly and completely missing

Was it sitting in a salt marsh or ...?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A little of column A, a little of column B. For budgets, make an itemized list of everything you'll need and the cost for it. Double that, and you should have enough to perfectly fall about 10% short of what it will actually cost. A lot of people don't take that into account, and when the inevitable Project Things start adding up it can sour them on the whole project.

That, and sometimes peoples' tastes just change over time.

If you're looking for a first project, I would not recommend a major engine swap (beyond things like swapping Honda engines into each other, I'm talking major changes like the one you quoted.) I'll say this: Unless it's specifically something you want to brush up on/dive into headfirst, don't get a car that will need major bodywork. It's fiddly, time-consuming, and I've seen enough threads to know that "fix a few small rust holes" quickly balloons into "Well I've stripped the all 4 fenders and the roof, may as well take the whole car down to bare metal inside and out and make the whole drat thing better than stock, with fresh paint all over".

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Fucknag posted:

don't get a car that will need major bodywork. It's fiddly, time-consuming, and I've seen enough threads to know that "fix a few small rust holes" quickly balloons into "Well I've stripped the all 4 fenders and the roof, may as well take the whole car down to bare metal inside and out and make the whole drat thing better than stock, with fresh paint all over".

I've pretty much gone from "Well I can work on the mechanical poo poo first" on my car to "Well I'll just buy a shell of somebody who's given up and swap everything over"

My car really isn't that bad but for the time and effort I'd rather just bolt all the poo poo into a lightweight rabbit.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Tommychu posted:

CL is basically it in the US AFAIK. Post it up, we'll make fun of you in the most constructive way possible I promise.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4851794274.html

I have a feeling the asking price is why I'm not getting any bites but I just put up what the owner told me to. Then again, impreza's that aren't half as nice looking are going for $10-12k here because for whatever reason subarus hold their value stupidly well in the NW. But then again 14k is mediocre condition 3rd gen WRX territory.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

HEY VAPER posted:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4851794274.html

I have a feeling the asking price is why I'm not getting any bites but I just put up what the owner told me to. Then again, impreza's that aren't half as nice looking are going for $10-12k here because for whatever reason subarus hold their value stupidly well in the NW. But then again 14k is mediocre condition 3rd gen WRX territory.

good ad. can you call/text people through CL ads without a # listed nowadays though?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Craigslist Gold - Some Rust, Needs floor pans replaced. (Because they're loving MISSING.)

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4854720198.html

Oh hey, a Saab 900 Turbo that only needs an ECU.

I'm not touching it with a 10 foot pole, but hey, someone else might want it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Sperglord Firecock posted:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4854720198.html

Oh hey, a Saab 900 Turbo that only needs an ECU.

I'm not touching it with a 10 foot pole, but hey, someone else might want it.

I always love the "You can't currently run it but I promise you it only needs one thing and therefore won't adjust the price at all to reflect that you're taking a huge risk" attitude

I'm willing to bet he blew the engine trying to map it with megasquirt.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 4, 2020

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Baram posted:

good ad. can you call/text people through CL ads without a # listed nowadays though?

Yeah they put the phone number in the reply section now but thanks for that because I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have the number in the text body. Also it's not my phone number, so there's no need to text a bunch of HURR BUTTES stuff to it.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

What a deal!

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4845911915.html

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

For the record, I sold my '69 912 for $11K. It ran. It had floor pans. I realize they have gone up in value over the last 5 years.
But this is legendary levels of crazy right there.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Extra posted:

Are these really that cheap or is there something horribly horribly wrong this owner is not disclosing? The strange rear wheels and broken english point to the latter.

http://nwct.craigslist.org/cto/4854609381.html

Yes. From what the engine bay looks like and the fact that it has the classic ricer 94+ taillight swap plus awful wheels it's likely a nightmare.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hey man. He invested $90k in that truck.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I am pretty sure I've seen this car before on the road...

quote:

1987 regal with 67,000mls. motor and trans recently rebuilt it has a 3.8 v6 and a 200r auto trans with shift kit so its easy on gas. So there no problem putting a v8 if your that kind of person and the trans will bolt up nice. This is good for cruisin or car shows it one of a kind nothing out there like this. it has a custom paint and air brushing on hood and trunk. It's a tribute to 911 twin towers , shave doors, and locks. keyless remote entry and alarm. I sold the 22"s I put the 15 " chrome steel rims back on it. It has a pioneer head unit with Ipod hook up and remote 2 15's the interior wood grain steering wheel power windows all origenal seats there blue some interior parts are very clean and in and out. lots of new parts on car the frame is very clean as well.SHOOT me an OFFER the least i could say it your no..i have about 10k invested in it The bumper filler recently crack so I just put new one's on over winter they are lifetime replacement so you never have to by new one you just send old ones back and they send you new one ... ...im not gonna see 10k for it but a very clean and sharp car! You can text or call for more pics or any questions. 330-605-81nine 6 ask for joe thanks....

I'm guessing his tribute to 911 is this:

:wtc:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is it a tribute to the terrorists?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/4853429886.html

anyone local to Tulsa that can check this out for me? Mostly worried about timing belt/gdcs after I just dropped a bunch of money on that stuff for my eta this summer

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

This was the picture to post:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

reminds me of a pantera without the interior engine cover.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

VideoTapir posted:

This was the picture to post:

That hole in the drivers' seat was probably caused by high velocity poo poo.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
At least it's got an electric water pump, otherwise there would be a belt right there. I wonder how the alternator is run.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
Clearly this is a great use for a deep cycle battery.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

torpedan posted:

Clearly this is a great use for a deep cycle battery.

Or a genset in the frunk :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

bicycle pedals in the passenger footwell connected to an alternator.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

Raluek posted:

Or drive an alternator off the wheel like an old bicycle.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
holy poo poo and i thought my car had PO issues

In CL related news:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/4852689374.html

Someone get a Jeep Lover on the phone, they are missing this loving hideous monstrosity once in a lifetime unicorn in their lives.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

First, something that makes me throw up in my mouth a bit:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/4852506575.html

I don't understand why they thought it was a good idea to start with a 1998 Cougar and redo EVERYTHING and turn it into that abomination. It sounds like a lot of :10bux: and work went into it but I imagine it will be hard to find a buyer.

And now, something awesome and cheap that I want terribly.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ctd/4852839339.html

LT1, last year made and OBDII. And since it's a Caprice, it doesn't have the wood side paneling and weird side trim that the Buick Roadmasters got. It is the best couch on wheels. :allears:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 21, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Larrymer posted:

LT1, last year made and OBDII. And since it's a Caprice, it doesn't have the wood side paneling and weird side trim that the Buick Roadmasters got. It is the best couch on wheels. :allears:

Yep, you have no good reason not to buy that. :colbert:

Put a cam in it, headers, keep it quiet. Is the LT1 fuel injection system as flexible as the LS1 stuff?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Oh gently caress my life.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4846709850.html

Why the gently caress did they turn a neat little zippy car into a ghettoblaster?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I saw a brand-new Mustang pull up next to me at the gas station last week - still had the dealer sheet stuck on the passenger window. I took a look, it was the turbo 4-cylinder model... and it showed an estimated 20/30mpg for fuel economy! Is that for real?

To put it in perspective, I get 25mpg mixed city/highway in a 4.6L Crown Vic interceptor.

I dunno, knowing nothing about VWs myself, but "runs and mostly drives" is an even bigger red flag than "runs but doesn't drive" -- in the latter case, it's probably got one big obvious problem, but in the former it's on the verge of Bluesmoblie-at-the-courthouse.

I once checked out a mid-'90s F250 (from a newspaper ad, this was back before Craiglist) that "ran but didn't drive" and every goddamn vaccuum line was cut/broken. I don't even want to know why or what arcane majicks were required to make it fire (I didn't test-drive or even start it -- took one look under the hood and :getout: )

Larrymer posted:

I think the Buicks have a better engine? Though what was stock on the Buick was optional on the Chevy, and that may be it.

And some of us like the weird trim and fake wood :colbert:

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
CAREFUL GUYS SUSIDE DOORS

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Oh gently caress my life.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4846709850.html

Why the gently caress did they turn a neat little zippy car into a ghettoblaster?

You don't know anything about old Toyotas do you.

Oh wait, it's you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
That reminds me, open offer to any goons who live in a rust shithole and want to buy awesome northwest cars without it being COMPLETELY sight unseen, I'll go look at anything vaguely in the Seattle, Eastside, or Tacoma (no gig harbor etc) areas of Washington that doesn't involve a ferry ride for free. Hell I'll do anywhere in state or north Oregon if you bribe me with gas money.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 21, 2015