Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I see that happen quite often around here, especially with motorcycles/scooters. Some asshat will try to pawn off an 5 or 6 year old bike for the same price that THE EXACT SAME GODDAMN BIKE is STILL being sold for NEW. Maybe people think that a car can mature like a fine wine? :confused: It seems to be the worst with 2T scooters and BMW bikes, for some unknown reason. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

quote:

I’ve had more sex with this car in the last 2 years, than all the years before it COMBINED.

quote:

I’ve had sex with this car.

http://jalopnik.com/391943/car-fuckers-documented-by-channel-5-horseman-number-4-also-spotted
I guess we figured out what he does when the magic starts to fade.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

V-Dubling posted:

Leave that volkswagen alone you creepy gently caress.

Hey, it's not his fault that some faceless company decided to christen it the love bug. :glomp:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/723172355.html

I wonder if she arrived at the price by just assigning some arbitrary $/kg value?

Poor little Timmy.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/725701632.html

Okay, maybe on a scooter, who knew that a GSX-R 750 was :gay: friendly?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/6340301

Damnit, I really, really don't need another project, but a six cylinder bike that isn't a Honda cruiser? :hawaaaafap:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, and it also sounds like it has a similar problem to the VF that I just fixed - a hosed petcock. I may ride up and check it out this weekend, just to satisfy my curiosity. Too many bikes be damned.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

TurboLuvah posted:

We own three of those bikes. Heavy as hell, but when they wind up, they are fast as poo poo.

I took a look at it today. It looks to be a project that's just getting passed from person to person, and unfortunately, I don't have time/space/money for a bike that has a littany of unknown problems from POs. That said, the bike was loving enormous. Even bigger than I was expecting. It didn't feel all too heavy tipping it upright from the kickstand - the upside of having a giant goddamn motor set low in the frame.

O/T I don't suppose you'd have any pics or sound clips, TL?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

1987 Nissan 300ZX
(Click for big:)

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/865125165.html

Do you think that'd be a good trade for my 1998 Dodge Avenger? He said it's a 5-speed which is what I want and said around 200hp so I'm assuming it's the turbo version. He said some various things were rebuilt like the engine and intake (manifold?). All the rust is repaired and the car is primered and he's going to paint it any color I want. Or should I just not bother and am in for a heap of trouble?

That's a shitload of miles, and not a brilliant price. At 200hp, that would be the turbo version, so at least it'd be able to get out of its own way, but I'd find something in better condition, with fewer miles.

Wait, you're trading an avenger for a 300zx turbo? Go for it. :v:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

OMGWTFWALLHACK posted:

Every craigslist problem would be fixed if the amount of money you post your item for becomes a binding contract and someone can just pay that amount for it and get it.

This. A thousand times this. loving stupid people posting their newer cars with something retarded like $10 in the price field, making GBS threads up any useful 'search by price' attempt. :fuckoff:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Someone should buy that, drive to wherever the gently caress Mark Hamill is living right now, and show him up for the poseur that he was.

Psssht. Ultimate Corvette? You got nothing, son. :iceburn:

Also, we need to archive that ebay listing for all posterity, it's just too perfect to let slip into the mists of time.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Man, I wish I had the space to keep this, and money to not starve after I lose my license for riding this:
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/7401531

Just adding to the 'vehicles you can't legally have in the states, but can if you live in Canada' bandwagon. To think that your own government denied you such pleasure as a 500cc V4 two stroke sportbike... :v:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Go, go, Speed Racer!

Click here for the full 1422x621 image.

http://victoria.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/906274730.html
:rock:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Man, that's the saddest car picture that I've seen in a bloody long time. If only I had a back 40 to store those all on. :smith:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Q_res posted:

Goddamn :lol:

So, is there any way to actually make those things fast?

I hear gravity's pretty good at accelerating objects from a rest state.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

You don't remember the CRX that was posted a while back where the OP was making his car go faster using cloroplast (sp?). Was it RealKyleH, or someone else. I remember that being an amusing thread (at least at the outset).

vv Ahh, that was it, thanks. It's probably slunk off to archives by now.

Simkin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 9, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Ah, sorry about that. Must be something about superfluous final consonants in names that gets me confused. ;)

Also, thanks for that Contraband, I can't believe I hadn't saved that photo - one of the high points of that thread.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

blugu64 posted:

So you're picking up some kickass vintage two stroke madness tonight then, right?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Weird, I had been under this false impression that AMG didn't actually exist prior to the C43 (I think that was the first official one), but I guess you learn something every day.

quote:

The release of the AMG Hammer sedan in 1986, based on the Mercedes-Benz W124, took AMG's performance modifications for a fast compact sedan to a new level. AMG made the world's fastest passenger sedan at the time, nicknamed the Hammer,[4] by tuning a Mercedes 5.6-liter V8 to 360 hp, and squeezing that motor into Mercedes' midsized 300-series sedan. It was very aggressive for the era with a modified Mercedes-Benz 5.6 liter engine, 32-valve cylinder heads and twin camshafts, good for 360 bhp DIN. It was said to be faster than the Lamborghini Countach from 60 to 120 mph.[5] Later models were even more powerful and introduced the 17" AMG Aero 1 Hammer wheels.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Ein Windir posted:

:downs:

Alright, who bought one of the posters of the ads an account?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Hahaha... I think this is actually the first time, in the entire length of this CL gold thread, that anyone's actually gone out and seriously considered one of the vehicles (and been in the right location).

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Pweller posted:

:cry:

Goddamnit. Anyone in the SF area going to take one for the team?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

TurboLuvah posted:

:monocle:

From what I can find, the V6 Corvettes in GTP were running the turbo'd Buick V6, with displacements of 3.4L and later 3.0L. Maybe he's dyslexic?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

slidebite posted:

:flashfap:

Hey, if it's either that or a slightly used Boxter, is the decision really that difficult?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

He's making a Fetiva trebuchet. :v:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

:wtc:

You ... gggggaaaahhhhhh.... gently caress. I think you just broke the language processing centre of my brain. I can't even parse that first bit, and I loving study language. Goddamn.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Anyone hazard to guess what one of the most hilariously unlikely stuntbikes would be? If you guessed CBR125, you get a cookie.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

No, see, you're missing out on what he truly reduced. Cast your attention to the punctuation, and you will see that he's reduced the number of exclamation points by ~70%!

Ah, Pompous, you're missing out. They're fun for what they are, and now that they've been out a couple of years, the prices are at least falling off to a reasonable point. It was kind of weird riding a bike that was nearly silent (well, up until you hung it on the redline trying to get up any respectable grade). Compared to the EX250, it's just another order smaller and easier to flick about. I'm a big guy, though, so I'm sure when I was riding it I looked like some sort of inconsiderate jockey. If I had one for myself (this was actually my ex's first bike), I would definitely uprate the suspension to cope with my weight, put a more capable braking system on, and ditch the lovely stock rubber.

I really, really wish I still had the video of me flogging it along a twisty road, fully decked out in my leathers, hanginge far off on each corner, trying to keep speed up. Still not sure how anyone would ever consider it a stunt bike, though. :iiam:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1097486324.html

No picture is needed, because the real :v: is found in the writeup.

quote:

I AM GOING TO LOWER THE PRICE $50 EVERYDAY UNTILL THE PRICE IS SO LOW THAT IT WILL BE MORE FUN TO SET IT ON FIRE AND DANCE AROUND IT THAN SELL IT.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Well, I guess I stand corrected.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhb-bUy8COA&feature=related

I was always pretty sure that the forks would fold themselves in half in any situation other than normal riding, and that the front brakes were barely adequate for regular conditions, let alone stunting.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

That ain't got poo poo on this one. :downsgun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WjyIhlnWVM&feature=related

Simkin
May 18, 2007

*sigtrap reported for hate speech

Searching any online classified for 'invested' doesn't always bring up terrible rice. Sometimes it just dredges up terrible, horrible money pits of despair.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/8950410

Sure, I have no doubt that money is the reason for the sale, if you're willign to take a 12k haircut. :suicide:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

deviant. posted:

Does "AT" stand for automatic transmission?

It says 'semi AT' which would seem to indicate that it's probably a dog-box/sequential manual.

I can't even imagine how much those are going for now, especially in that condition. Then again, if I could afford that car, I doubt I'd be capable of not at least taking it out for the occasional blast.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

RealKyleH posted:

Whats funny about that?

asshatonCL posted:

Fun little car to drive

An Aveo is ... not that. Also, asking $7500 for a 5 year old Aveo is like asking $10k for the same age Cavalier. It's not knee slappingly funny, more of a 'look how out of touch with reality they are' amusement.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, that's come up a few times in this thread, every time with a different vehichle and slliiiiightly different wording.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Wandering Idiot posted:

Jesus, I thought they got 50~mpg at least. My loving Civic will pull mid-40s if I drive like I'm destined for a nursing home.

The diesel one does/did. You guys got the petrol version only, so... :can:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Having owned one of those little... gems... for a few years (as my first car, no less), no, you don't want it. It's really nothing special - the carb'd engine is merely sufficient for the car, with the 5 speed you might be able to get it to 140km/h on a looooong flat straight, and while the gas mileage might be decent, it has less structural integrity than a geo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Pretty much all I've ever been required to do by insurance companies is a few pictures to prove that yes, in fact, they are insuring a vehicle. I usually also include a pic of the VIN and odo so that matches with the records they have.

OOP inspections on bikes is lame, though. I brought my bone stock 2002 Kawi ZR-7S from BC to Alberta, and they had me add reflectors, and gave me poo poo for having d/s tyres on a road bike. :fuckoff: Pretty sure that Transport Canada has national regs on motor vehicles, and that it didn't vary, province to province. I'm thinking that they were just applying current regs to an older vehicle and that's why. Still annoying, though.