Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Guys. theres no room for the spare tire in the engine bay of a Yugo.

See?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/4324606066.html

I uh, have a spare rover v8 in the garage. I should go buy this and uh, make a black hole of a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I swear you've posted that thing so many times I'm gonna be disappointed if you never buy it.

He's asking 700 for that pile of poo poo. I paid 250 for the last one running.

theres another in minty mint shape running/driving for 1100.

I could dump a fiat spider engine in for some serious fun.

but I like the thought of a duramax powered rolls royce more.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

Paging Broken Nuckles or Cursed Shitbox

I saw that car the other night on cl. pity its a slushbox. it may be a cryco trans.

however. a 4.6 and a zf box would make a killer sleeper out of that car, as they hauled rear end with a 3.5 Rv8.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Registered as an RV. My understanding is that a lot of the bus-sized RVs are in fact built on heavy duty chassis, but because they're not set up to haul bulk cargo, their actual weight going down the road is more on the scale of a UHaul, not an actual semi or bus.

Most of the modern Class A diesel pushers with slides push 30,000 easy.

A old MCI-9 weighs 27,000 out of the box. the 102-a3 is around 35,000. Both of these are used for RV conversions, and don't require a CDL as long as you don't pull a trailer behind it.

Fwiw: my old 4104 was under 26K if I kept it low on fuel/water.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/rvs/4350453629.html

Flxible new look.
He's wrong on a bunch of different things. It should be 31,33, or 35' long. and it should have a detroit in it. If its been swapped, welp, it'll get swapped again.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I want a ratty one to put a 6.2/6.5 detroit in.

35mpg? yup.

Hate from the diesel crowd and the vette crowd? Yup.

making a 70s vette faster with a 80s NA diesel? Yup.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr-Spain posted:

I know that's the easy way, but I wonder if a duramax would fit. Probably not.

It should, but the Dmax is a ton heavier, and a fair bit wider from what I remember.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
blood sweat tears and lots of copper coat.

aluminum spraypaint works in a pinch

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I saw that thing the other day, and I want it baad.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

Time? Probably. Energy? Maybe. Skill? Quite possibly not, but I'm willing to try.

Dude buy it.

at the worst you'd have to bribe me with beers. I've worked on those fuckers all too often.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

There is certain death for feet on the dashboard. Its disgusting and tacky. Death for any one who touches the windshield with feet.

(For the record, I find feet disgusting - I know I'm no fun)

Same. Feet on the dash? Fuckshit you're riding in the trunk. Probably with the aid of ducttape too. sack of poo poo I just detailed this thing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo you should buy that thing. Its fuckoff amazing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
two zeros too much. I paid 250 bucks for mine. then pumped 700 into it to make it DD worthy. I got 20,000 miles out of it.

E: http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/4699698488.html

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 3, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
So many corvettes with no motors.

Ironic I see so many 70s-80s breadtrucks and vans missing 350s though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

quote:

One of a kind custom built 90 Suburban 1 Ton Dually 4X4. True dually no kit. Both differentials Dana 60 front / Dana 70HD rear fresh rebuild less than 5000 miles new bearings and brakes. All new steering joints. 383 Stroker motor with 700R tranny. Tranny and transfer in very good shape. 12000 lb winch on custom mount. Receiver hitch front and back. Xtra Large heavy duty battery relocated in rear. Xtra set of dually fenders. Front and rear jump leads. Air shocks on rear. New tires on Custom alum wheels Lifted. Needs body finished. $2500 obo

Goddamn I want it so loving bad.

E: he still has it. hoboy.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 20, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
They put the v8 in the wrong end. :catstare:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
its missing the special unicorn cam sensor.

gently caress that poo poo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

75 thousand dollars and he couldnt be arsed to buy proper vacuum port blockoffs or a clean airfilter.

It would also appear it was the same loving prick that wired my bus.

E: that ain' a 61 either. thats atleast a 65. it *was* a silver shadow.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 26, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tommychu posted:

Look at the 2nd engine pic. Air filter isn't even intact. Also love the random splice in the heater hose, fan held on with through-the-rad-fin zipties, and wires wrapped around the surge tank(?) hose to take up slack. I mean I've done all three of those things in the past, but seventy-five thousand loving dollars.
But something like that done well (or that one specifically, minus a zero and some) would be rad as hell.

I should build one to show em how to loving do it properly. god drat.

I've owned 500 dollar shitmissles with tidier enginebays than that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

"rare"

Also lol at "roof rack not included". Unless he's got another 850 that rack is going to be loving worthless to him.

and it comes with parking tickets!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do that generation of towncars have 5 digit odometers or 6 digit? I'm kind of suspicious of a 91 having 77k miles.

They're six. Some had digital clusters, some mechanical.

leica posted:

That's a great idea, you get all of the style without the lovely reliability and parts made of unobtainium!

Having owned a TC of that vintage I'd take the rolls for reliability. Replace the door hinges on that pig. :suicide:

heres a hint: take out the loving dash. ALL. OF. IT.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

1500quidporsche posted:

How drunk do you have to be to enter two completely different prices one after the other?

Drunk enough to cram an astro front end under a MJ

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't see the point of ZHPs. The cams are pretty much proven to make no extra power, the ECU software only differs in RPM limit, suspension is going to get changed by anyone looking to keep the car a long time, the 6spd is the same transmission as the normal 6spd 330, etc.

a friend of mine paid 10 or 12 for his 05 vert zhp.

I'm still loving laughing.

and its bmwing him HARD

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Team140 posted:

Contrary to what the internet has told you, Land Rovers aren't horrible shitmobiles.

Yes they are. I personally owned 11. I owned a Independent service facility that kept them running.

Sure they can be reliable. Reliably loving Broken.

Pin the liners and or Darton sleeve the motherfucker.
fix the front cover
timesert the block
fix the middle cam bearings

THEN worry about the rest of a loving D2.
Front driveshafts that most can't rebuild.
3 amigos, Mostly airsuspension that belong on an allroad.
Cooling system designed by BMW, implemented by VW, tuned for optimal emissions on a 50 year old engine with tolerances looser than my grandma.
Sunroofs that break for no loving reason.
Giubos on a 4x4 vehicle, and watts link.
Blower motor B+ line on the back of the fusebox burns itself and shits the HEVAC all over you.
Rear hubs explode tossing wheels, btw, they ain' cheap.

Want a decent rover for your kid to learn on? Get a series truck with a 2.25 NA diesel. Anything else is a piece of gently caress thats a waste of time.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 30, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm so glad you've found a rover in not lovely condition. Please, buy it and show us what a not lovely rover looks like.

Two door rangies are incredibly rare here seeing as how they didn't officially come here till 1987. two doors ended in 81.

You can make a 90ish wheelbase one using the front half of a 4 door and the back half of a 2, and shortening the frame.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 30, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

That's one of my pet peeves. I'll usually just answer them back with the list price even if it says OBO.

:same: respond with some offensive denomination higher than the list price.

Cheaply priced quick to move things with an offensive lowball is responded with a photo of the item in the trash or getting pissed on.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

How the hell does that work out with 10K change intervals?

Easy, just swap the engine every 10k.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
On the topic of loving bootlickers defacing flags. This has been listed for a few months now. bootlicking flag so big the chud can be identified from the moon.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/fontana-freightliner-4x4-auto/7304601988.html

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Odometer Rolled Over

$10,000

:v:

I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10....times it rolled over.
It'll probably move for 10k because truck prices have gone absolutely crazy.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

All used car prices have gone crazy and I don't get why people are paying these prices for projects or seconds cars like a Miata. I mean I get it if you need a car you don't really have a choice but gently caress the rest. I was thinking about getting a Miata but I'm gonna wait until it all comes down because there's no way this can continue forever, the bubble is gonna burst eventually and I'l be able to get a decent Miata for $3-4k again.

Need? Cryco finances to anybody or anything.
This is purely survivor syndrome being driven by people flush with cash and nowhere to stick it. What's better than holing money into a project car since a vacation in Europe is off the table?
Prices may cool some though desirable cars like the NA on the cheap are out the window. Its happening to a fair bit of the 80s-90s era of cars, not just the MIata alone. They're classics now. Same thing happened to the late 50s and 60s cars that riveted the outgoing generation in their youth. Prices may fluctuate here and there like that particular era has in years past during recessions, but lol there is no $3-4k 67' camaro, cudas, chargers, mustangs, 58' vettes, or 57' bel-airs.

In short:

KakerMix posted:

This will never happen.

This.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

A comedy subgenre for gearheads alone: Power ratings in early 80s domestics

The real comedy is when someone in a modern car with 4 times the power merges at 20 under on a steep grade leaving your 80s domestic with barely 100hp at the wheel left wheezing along while they rocket off into the sunset.

<3 gutless af 80s junk.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Advent Horizon posted:

1998 Thomas School Bus $310,000 $186,000

New to the 2021 rv game eh?
Anything with lithium power will be six figs.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mustache Ride posted:

What the gently caress. I need to get into the building RV business.

You're telling me lmao

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Modus Man posted:

Good thing, yeah, you could probably trade that 3090 straight up for the SHO

:hmmyes:

That SHO owns. Its so mint and well kept from an era of ford. Also jfc never thought I'd say the day that they'd appreciate like that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

super nailgun posted:

set up for a plow too so you know that thing has had the hell beaten out of it

yup. That's a light duty ttb D50 up front with 44 outers. throw the whole thing out for a Dana 60 of any flavor. That's two-three grand right there.
6.9s aren't particularly desirable outside of the fact they take boost well and don't suffer from cavitation as badly as the 7.3. They blow heads as the headbolts are insufficient. Stud it. Getting the engine operational again is gonna take another couple grand. A couple grand more if you want it to make any power at all above sealevel.
It still has a 3 speed C6 behind it so its gonna be out of steam right around 60mph anyway. A few grand will 5 speed swap it or 4r100 with a build kit. GV overdrive kit will be about the same.
It has a short-pinion 10.25 out back which was updated to a long-pinion in '92 to stop the nut from backing off. It *can* be corrected... just update it with the D60... another 200-1200 there.
This doesn't even get into the rust or the underlying issues pig has...

Expect to spend 15 thou or better getting it into usable shape. Expect to spend 20 or better to make it dailyable. This is probably the worst way to enter into an old diesel bricknose as it has a pretty lousy chassis loadout.

I spent 5 for my 350 in 2016 with a 7.3/zf5/KP-D60 and on a standardized frame and got it to drive home.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

opengl128 posted:

Not that he has a leg to stand on, but yeah, whenever I do a private sale I have the buyer sign a super basic bill of sale including as-is language just in case.

Yup.

As-is
Where-is
How-is.
All. Sales. Final.

You could have backed out at the time of sale but you didn't. Its all yours to keep now.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Advent Horizon posted:

The 4.0 will be fine. The unibody will not. No matter how little rust is on that jeep it will never, ever, be a ‘tight’ vehicle again.

Its in GA, things don't rust there like they do in rustlandia. :10bux: on the door hinges needing to be stitched back onto the body though.
'96 should have a solid cylinder head. regardless throw a 8.8 under the rear and send it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

I learned to drive stick in a Yugo. Almost everything in it was broken or breaking, and bits of the trim literally fell off while I was driving it.

...I still kind of want one just to say I had one. I mean I'll never have even close to the best car in the world, but maybe I could own one of the worst.

Actually I'm pretty sure the 1998 automatic Taurus I inherited was the worst car I'll ever own, because at least a Yugo is funny and interesting and good for a 'put it in H!' joke.

Had one. Bought it for $250. put many many thousands of miles on the thing. 3-4 fuel pumps. couple coolant pumps. Outside of the super cheap plastics breaking and electrical system tripping up in the rain it was a solid little car.

One of the (few) replacement engine powered mechanical fuel pumps broke off the loving block because of cheap casting. I pulled the tank sender which is right behind the front seats and dropped a EFI pump in. Of course weber carburetors don't want 40PSI+ so I wired it to the rear defroster and manually pulse width modulated the pump to make it the 20 miles home. I eventually had enough broken mechanical pumps to build one good unit and it never gave me another problem.

Every time it rained the little airscoop on the hood would grab enough water to soak the heater box, then would flood, sogging the alternator and fuse panel killing everything but the ignition.
Right when I got it the parking brake latching mechanism failed and it hauled rear end down a friends steep driveway and clocked a telephone pole loving the bodywork up pretty badly.

There was some obscure Italian/British parts supplier run by old gray beards in town that I became good friends with, the Yugo started the relationship. Rovers cemented it in.

I bought another Rover(I've had 11) and basically parked the thing when it just quit running at work. I had two other project cars and this one fell out of my focus. I sold it to some guys for dirt track racing uses, they got it running again with a new distributor cap.

It was a hilariously terrible little car yet completely awesome because of its inherent shortcomings. I'd own another. So many parts like struts and suspension bushings are no longer available. Just a fiat twincam swap would make it deadly fast.
The Yugo is far from the worst I've kept.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 21, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hi. Can you please lay off your "that's the market" speech every time someone has an opinion about it?

My opinion is no, it's not worth that. I realize that's how things are now but it doesn't mean everyone has to like it and/or agree with it

Something is only worth what people will pay. If its not worth it to you then don't buy when a group of others wish to buy in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Just saying we don't need someone on a tape loop saying "but that's the market" every time we're trying to have a drat discussion about it

You mean same tape loop of stating the opinion of "its not worth that because I proclaim its not!"?

cars now cost what houses did 10 years ago. Houses cost now what aircraft cost 10 years ago. Labor however has remained about the same.

Yeah sure dudebro, everything is expensive and it sucks. Push in your chips to play or sit on the sidelines and watch.