Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

Global688 posted:

Hrm its kinda early bu he says he has a b16a vtec dohc motor in there. Looks to me like a b18c1 ls non vtec dohc motor which are worth squat this day and age. Yeah definitly not worth 1500$.

B16A1's are ~140hp DOHC VTEC. They sell for $1500 or so used, assuming it is a JDM imported engine. Not with 180k on the engine though. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

i-vtec wasn't introduced until ~2002 in the States. Awesome.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
http://bn.craigslist.org/cto/1141526482.html

Seems legit to me, excellent advertising!

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
Hey, that Miata is local to me. I can do a PPI if anyones interested in that concept model ;)

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
I live in Bloomington, yeah. Went to school at ISU- moved away for a few years, I was sucked back in and work at the 'Farm now.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
No, I've always been kind of interested in it- but never gotten around to actually going to do it. I'm out of town that weekend. Definitely PM me and let me know how it goes. I would be interested in doing an event later on this year.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

Jabs posted:

If you have no money/trade down, it's not that different a deal, really.

$16700+10% (taxes and poo poo) at 6.8% (bankrate.com) = 438.19/mo * 48 months = $21,033.
That works out to paying an extra $45.77/mo. or $2197 total, to lease vs. buy.
Today's Autotrader Average value of a 4 year old XB? $10157.

Once you step outside thinking of a car as an asset (because it's not - it's a liability - c.f. paying $21,033 for something worth $10157), leasing begins to make sense, and has a few advantages over purchasing.
* You're always in a new car.
* Always under warranty.
* No sense of What The gently caress Is Going To Break Next On This Piece Of poo poo?
* Never buying Someone Else's Problem Child (i.e. Used)

...etc.

But the advantages all hinge on viewing it as "Car As A Service", not "Car As A Durable Good". We're AI residents, of COURSE we want to keep the car once it's paid off. So we can violate it with all manner of forced induction engine swap goodness. Since it's paid off and all...

Your logic misses the point entirely, that at the end of your installment loan, when you own the car outright, you have a good that you own. You can sell said good for $10,157...thus making your investment of $21,033 magically drop to $10,876 over the course of 4 years. Quite a big difference between that and $23k to rent it. Of course you have a lease purchase option at the end of the term, but then you are going to be shelling out even more cash for the same car (thus defeating the purpose of leasing you outlined above.

Edit: only a few pages behind, whoops. Forgot I was playing catch up...

BabyJesus fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 1, 2009

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
1966 Dodge Charger, Original survivor unrestored. < 10k miles. Claims it has appraised for $4 million. This guy lives about a mile from my house (I had no idea)

http://bn.craigslist.org/cto/1490502328.html

Look's like he has another Charger he is asking $105k for. #s matching, restored:

http://bn.craigslist.org/cto/1490604685.html

I tried taking a screenshot to include, so others can see after the posting expires...but the length of the caps was bringing my machine to its knees. Does anyone care to host pics? Edit: Snagit finally captured the $4mil car post, but it was a 50MB png file :)

BabyJesus fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 2, 2009

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

He's selling a car for 4 million dollars and he posts a shitload of crappy, blurry pics of it in his front yard? :raise:

He's a retiree living in a metro area of ~125,000 people. I'd imagine if he is serious about selling the car this is just another free ad to get the car out there. I'm assuming if he is actively trying to sell it, he has it listed with some classic car specialty places, too.

I was just surprised to see something like this in my local area, and the guy lives so close to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

Whoops, that dang antifreeze in the oil fill always happens to me too.