Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

DarthJeebus posted:

Oh god, a Cadillac 4-6-8. Weren't those known for being horrible shitbox motors? At least they somewhat paved the way for modern DoD.

I don't think the motors themselves were particularly bad, although that was a bad time for GM V8's. The 4-6-8 system was, by all accounts, poo poo. I've never heard of an old Caddy that still runs it. They've all had it disabled long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

macpod posted:

Even if it is rare, I don't think it's worth even $16500. :colbert:

2004 Toyota Celica GTS ***RARE**** - $165000
http://roanoke.craigslist.org/car/551860630.html

I wonder if the "Tink" floormats are included? Those alone are worth at least $1000.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

nanodroogie posted:

Wtf is a "Classic Tiffany Coupe"? As it turns out, it's some freaky kit car built on a Mercury Cougar for people with no taste or knowledge of cars. The most info I could find about these is here: http://members.cox.net/tiffanyclassic/index.html

Are you kidding? I'd drive the hell out of that thing!

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
This guy decided to make his Sunfire into a Cavalier. Why? We may never know.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
This one is pretty cool. Not $5500 cool, but I've got a soft spot for that body style. Also, oil changes every 400 miles? Free oil or not that is just silly.

http://york.craigslist.org/car/548228626.html

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

TurboLuvah posted:

$20 says that despite all the flashy new paint and interior, that when you open the hood it's a dirty as poo poo 120k mile 305 with a 700r4, never been cleaned or touched. Maybe has a chrome air filter.

Edit: Oh so it's a "fresh" 305...so it's still slow as all poo poo

Not to mention the screaming yellow interior. It's gotta be downright painful to be inside that thing. Just looking at the picture is messing with my rods and cones.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Blinken posted:

Somebody help mt out here, is that his EQ in the headliner ?

That could very well be in the headliner. Some of those EQs have a ribbon connector that goes to the faceplate.

The big question is what the gently caress is up with that airbox? Definitely nothing good, thats for sure.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

D C posted:

Hooooly poo poo...

Sweet merciful Jesus. A new horror unfolds before my eyes with each flick of the mouse wheel. Somebody needs to step up and create some sort of organization to save any remaining CRXs from this sort of poo poo. If there's any left to be saved. :(

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Well, at least its got some wheaties under the hood, and the interior looks comfy if not extremely beige. The cross eyed bee girl should be replaced with a Blind melon bee girl though.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Those Dakota Digital gauges are a scourge. I saw a really nice '57 Bel Air that was impeccably done other than having those.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Citycop posted:

I posted this in the AI stupid questions thread and I apologize for being a dirty cross poster but perhaps it belongs better here.

I wish you would talk me out of buying this:

1985 Toyota Corolla Hatchback

I had an '88 Nova which was basically the same car. Mine was a sedan though.

It is almost definitely fwd and has a carbureted 4a which is a gutless wonder. In my experience it was reliable as hell aside from leaky valve stem seals. It smoked like crazy up until I sold it.

I can't speak for the auto but the 5 speed was solid. This was with a stock motor though.

Besides that stuff it was a fun car in that "weighs nothing and has pizza cutter tires" sort of way. Fun to throw around for sure.

I wouldn't recommend it for a project but its a good and fuel efficient driver for sure.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
I'm gonna guess that he got that 305 on the cheap or else had it laying around. Its a gutless, anemic awful engine. Probably a bit peppier than the original motor but a good old 350 would be worlds better in that.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Tyro posted:

I could never own a white car, I don't have a garage to park it in, I would be cleaning it constantly.

But they do look sharp.

White cars aren't that bad. To be fair, mine is ivory. A very subtle off white. It looks awesome after a clay and a wax, it also hides the swirl marks and water spots really well. The down side is that after a rain the road dirt is pretty conspicuous. I also get a lovely waterfall of filth cascading down my trunk lid and rear bumper.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Tai-Pan posted:

There is probably a novelty factor in owning the worlds highest mileage Alfa Romeo.

Not just novelty, there's probably a goddamn Egyptian pharaohs curse attached to it. It'll see 250k but there'll be blood rain and locust plague to deal with.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Here's a horrible abomination to cleanse your palates after that unmolested CRX. Be the first on your block to possess the coveted "Louie baton" Civic. Only $12,500!

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/3662384698.html

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That is such a horrible loving idea. I can't even comprehend it.

Basic steps for getting more performance from your 305 powered car:
1. Weld chain onto 305
2. Use 305 as a boat anchor and go buy a 350.

My experience went:

1. Buy Monte Carlo SS
2. Realize it really isn't that fast.
3. Dump shitloads of money into boat anchor 305.
4. Weep softly as the realization that I should have just dumped a 350 in it.

I loved that car. I wish I would have done the research and found out what a worthless lump the 305 is.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Augmented Dickey posted:

Is there anything particularly desireable about these things, besides their rarity?

They had the same motor as a Mustang SVO making them fairly quick for their time. They also look pretty cool.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
I've seen at least one mustang with that paint. There's also a bone stock first gen neon around here with that. I didn't realize the mustangs were that rare though.

Also, those bubbly V8 SHO Tauruses sound positively Italian with the right exhaust.

Horrible redneck video here. DO IT AGIN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW8IMKn6x40&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

DrPain posted:

Found this pile searching for "invest"

Those back seats look like 100 kinds of comfortable. That one is a bargain compared to the '61 T-bird I pass on the way home from work everyday. Its been slowly sinking back into the earth out front of a sleazy looking little shop for at least 3 years. I stopped to look at it and the amount of rust on that poor thing is breathtaking, not to mention the crusty and mostly disassembled interior. No motor either judging by the height of the front end.

Its sad because they're really neat looking cars. I'd love to make a project of it but there's absolutely nothing worth saving about that car. Not to mention they want $1850 for it.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I showed this ad to a friend when it was originally posted. Got together with him the other day and he asked "hey, did you see my new car yet?"

That's awesome. My first car was one a lot like that. Mine was blue on blue like that but I had 4wd and no turbo. No space shuttle dash either. I loved that car. Best interior ever. At the time it was kind of expensive to keep running mostly because the air suspension was a motherfucker to fix and find parts for. I finally had everything running tip-top and then crashed it in a moment of youthful stupidity. One day I'll have another.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Just went looking at XT's and found this. Its a little expensive for what it is but its nice to know they're out there.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/3938255837.html

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
My solution to the god hosed truck prices is to get a small trailer. The wife’s equinox has a hitch. It’s not as handy as having a little truck but it will work.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
This is right up the road from my house...

I'm guessing it's 90% Crown Vic so parts would be cheap. I have no reason to buy this other than it's my style. I have an '07 Legacy now. Absolutely nothing wrong with it other than not being a beautiful couch on wheels. Someone talk me out of this.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
The seller is a bus/limo service so i'd imagine everything was serviced well over the years. With that kind of mileage the engine would have been replaced or rebuilt at some point right? Heads at the VERY least. I don't know of any regular engine in any car that will go 430k with the OG internals intact. I've been making some calls about selling a few things. If the planets align and it's still there once I gather $3k, and it drives Ok I'll buy it. Who knows, I might fall in love with the thing and sell my Subaru. Or I could throw a stereo in it and flip it to someone at work and pocket a few hundred bucks. Or it does a blues brothers the moment I hand over the cash.

Also, I got a pic of the interior and VIN...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

lol there's absolutely no reason to believe its well maintained because its a limo company

A little update on that car. I just had to get a bunch of dental work so I just don't have the extra money to buy a car I don't really need at the moment.

I told a buddy at work about it though. He actually went and took it for a drive. He said the transmission was definitely hosed. A noticeable delay going into gear and it was slipping like mad. Aside from that it's fine. Now I understand why it been sitting there so long.

I imagine replacing the Trans in one of those isn't a horrible job but nobody I know has the time or resources to do it. As far as I know it's still there for anyone that may want it.