Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No links since the ads have expired but not long ago there was a somewhat-rough RX7, an FC Turbo II. Kid was asking something like $3800 for it but it clearly wasn't worth that even in the grainy pics he put up. Last line of the ad? "FLEXIBLE BUT DON'T OFFER ME $2500".

Two weeks later, the ad had been reposted. Except that now the price was "$2500 FIRM".

About another week or two later it was up again, at $2000.

I love it when idiots try to sell a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My wife spotted this one:

Rebadge My Car

quote:

I'm looking for someone to rebadge my 2006 Kia Spectra with Mercedes Benz logos. There are 3 places on the car. The grill, the steering wheel, and the trunk. It needs to look professional. Send pics of your work (if available) and estimates. Thanks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrKatharsis posted:

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/car/555018817.html

1996 - Ford Ranger
$29,500 See photos, If you look at it and want a pickup, you will buy it.

Looks like it was a typo, the ad says $2950 now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh poo poo. The cheaper cousin of Speed and Class, found on Phoenix Craigslist

quote:

Hello, wellcome to my add
More photo's are available upon request. New tires. Clean engine, no leaks and no burning of oil.

THE HEAVY DUTY STEEL LOCK LOCKS THE SHIFTER IN 5TH GEAR AND PREVENTS THEFT. DIGITAL CLARION CD/RADIO AND C/D CHANGER. (THERE IS ALSO A BUILT IN AMP AND SUB WOOFER IN TRUNK. NOT HOOKED UP BUT I AM INCLUDING WITH SALE). TAILLAMP COVERS FOG LIGHTS (LIGHTED UP SWITCH ON DASH). CUSTOM 17" OPTIMA ALLOY WHEELS DAYTONA 205/40/ZR17 LOW PROFILE TIRES. REMOTE TRUNK RELEASE "PULL WIRE" LOCATED INSIDE CAR TO RELEASE TRUNK WHILE INSIDE CAR. (NORMALLY NOT AVAILABLE UNTIL 1993).
I THINK THE PICTURES SAY IT ALL. THIS VEHICLE LOOKS AWESOME. THE CAR DOES NOT HAVE ANY DENTS OR DINGS. THERE ARE A FEW CHIPS HERE AND THERE, BUT THEY ARE MINOR AND NOT EASILY NOTICEABLE . THE SOFT TOP VINYL TOP IS IN MINT SHAPE THE CAR DRIVES PERFECT. THE CLUTCH WAS REPLACED LAST YEAR AND THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION SHIFT SMOOTHLY. THE OIL HAS BEEN CHANGED EVERY 2,000 MILES RELIGIOUSLY. THE ALTERNATOR WAS ALSO REPLACED LAST YEAR. TO MY KNOWLEDGE, THE TIMING BELT HAS NOT YET BEEN REPLACED. (DUE TO LOW MILEAGE).

Air conditioning, Red Exterior, Radio FM/AM, Leather seats, Manual, Air conditioning Black // Red, Black // Red, CD player, Convertible, Only 47554 Miles, Only 47554 Miles.
Thanks!

Jesus loving christ that's terrible. :barf:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Chain Chomp posted:

At this price, the car is a steal! But you can't steal it because THE HEAVY DUTY STEEL LOCK LOCKS THE SHIFTER IN 5TH GEAR AND PREVENTS THEFT. :woop:

Ahahaha. :google: that phrase - it looks like on top of everything it's actually a scam posting. Figures because nobody who actually liked that abomination would think it worth anything less than $10k.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

How does one pronounce Bimmer? "beemer," right? I never knew.

"Beemer" is for BMW Motorcycles, "Bimmer" is for BMW cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

allonblack posted:

Here's one from the bestof area. http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/fmy/659126241.html

I would laugh except it's too loving true. Ran into this poo poo all over the place when trying to sell a Saturn for $500.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

Dignity. Who needs it?

That looks like what I would get if I was searching CL for a new gearbox and inadvertently ended up searching 'tranny' in the casual encounters section instead of for sale.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, in that particular car's case, "blower" = "butterfly scoop on a carb". Seconding the fact that 400hp out of a 383 most certainly does not require a supercharger, and if you're resorting to one on a 383, you had better be looking at 550-600hp, not 400. The 383 plus any decent set of heads (just about anything equivalent or better than L31s or L98s) and a fat cam will hit 400 no problem.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

Isn't that Vitamin J's Civic :v:

I think VJ's is actually a SOHC, and painted in fewer colors :v:

kimbo305 posted:

I'd like to ask him, "Hey, dumbass, how much is a new F150 these days?"

I would love to walk up to him with a dealer quote for the same truck, except a 2008 with zero miles, for less money, and watch him cry to death.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 4, 2008

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:aaa:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/car/781222246.html

quote:

2001 Ford Crown Victoria, 90k Original miles, newer black paint, custom doors (1 of a kind) Brand new 22" rims and tires. This is a steal. Make me an offer. I am open for trades but be realistic. This is an extreme car that runs good. 602-791-2502 My name is Mike.

Keywords: Trade, Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Regal, Donk, LT1, Caprice, Box Chevy

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kotaru posted:

Craiglist recently moved around their directories. /car/ is now /cta/.

Aha, that explains it. I was seeing the same thing as Video Tapir. You'd think they'd be smart enough to put in a loving redirect :downs:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

So CTA stands for Car Trucks All. Wonder how that's any different from the ol Cars and Trucks.

Looks like they switched it to break down it CTO and CTD - car/truck by owner, and car/truck by dealer. I don't really see the benefit though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The description for this thing is all well and good until you get to the pics.

2001 Daewoo Leganza with extras!!!

quote:

I have for sale a 2001 Daewoo Leganza. with an aftermarket air intake, muffler, exhaust and a Sony sound system with detachable faceplate. The car has under 60,000 miles, which pretty much unheard for its age, and the tires were replaced just last year. The engine has been maintained and runs strong, but the body has some paint issues as well as a few dents. There are a few cosmetic issues that could be addressed, but they are all relatively inexpensive, and the running condition of this vehicle is very strong. I have been getting around 26 mpg, and I drive mostly city. The car is automatic, 4-cyl, a/c, power windows/locks/mirrors, and the brakes were changed this year. This car is fit to be an everyday driver, and will save you money at the pump. Please call at 602 200 4209.

Thank you for looking,
Jordan

The images?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nine times posted:

This was a good investment... to the max.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/819983929.html

The worst part is I know I've seen other C4s with this same thing done to them, though usually not as well. Why? I don't loving know.

The hilarity lies in the fact that if he had spent $35k on making it look and drive like an awesome C4, he'd be able to sell it for more than $9k. Swap over to a LS1/LS2 with some modifications, and do a sharp restoration of the interior with a high quality paintjob and MAYBE an update to the later C4 bodywork as opposed to the early C4 bodywork, and it'd probably go for a similar price to a real C5.

I also see this a lot on 911's. "1978 1993 911".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Didn't einTier have a Rocky for a while?

einTier, did yours come with a random slut? Is this a feature of the Rocky that AI should be more aware of? :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Gold for a different reason - eBay auction.

I'm pretty sure there are less than 10 GTs in this kind of condition left anywhere in the world.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Q_res posted:

You know, one of those with a Sky Redline driveline...

Would be a drat-near impossibility because there's so little room under the hood for an engine larger in any dimension than the Opel 1.9 :v:

Trust me, you're not the first to want to engine-swap a GT, but it rarely works well.

While this GT is certainly worth it, I'll be shocked if it sells north of $10k. The resale on a GT is hilariously low and there are so few in even "really good" condition, let alone absolutely spotless like this one, that the market has no idea how to price them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Q_res posted:

I figured it was tiny, but not so tiny as to make an Ecotec swap difficult.

See the valvecover? The GT was the only car with the Opel CIH to get that cover, because they had to lop off the front corner of it to make it clear the hood.

It is a really, really small engine bay.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

12A Rotary/Motorcycle engine obviously.

Rotary swaps run into big problems on the GT, I think because of the transverse-leaf front suspension. On paper, a GT plus a 12A/13B/whatever is a match made in heaven, but I don't think I've ever seen evidence that a running example exists.

The only way to make it "less slow" without re-engineering the whole goddamn car is to get an Opel 2.4 and upgrade it. At the end of it you might have 200hp but at least it fits in the car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Toucan Sam posted:

I'm the high bidder at $6200 but i'm only authorized for ten grand so i would like to see what this is going to go for. I still haven't met the reserve at my current bid of $7500.

Looking at it now, it's still got some time left and it's at $9200, but reserve has been met. I'll be impressed if it goes much above $10k.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'll be impressed if it goes much above $10k.

gently caress, I'm better at calling this than I thought :pwn:

Final bid, $10,002. Toucan, did you / your friend snag it? I hope it's as awesome in person as it looks in those pictures :swoon:

The funny thing is how much more other similar cars of that vintage would go for in that shape, like a 914 or a BMW. There's just so little demand for the GT that even an example like that goes for a drat near bargain.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well, apparently that guy didn't want it bad enough, since it's back up with a screenshot of the email the seller received :v: Already at $8k.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ReaperUnreal posted:

Here's some actual gold:
[bitchin camaro]

Holy poo poo, seriously, that's practically a dream come true - a firstgen with all of the obnoxious work done, and at one hell of a price. Stick in the engine of your choice and drive the poo poo out of it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Found the ad: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/983325109.html

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

deviant. posted:

So, uh...can anything be done with a carbed 305?

It can be turned into a wonderful boat anchor, or maybe a coffeetable :v:

A few twisted individuals have stroked 305s into 337s or something like that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AkrisD posted:

How do you owe 30k on anything from 2003 that you bought last year? That car was 5 years old when he bought it and it's not overly rare or an exotic sports car. It's an old abused Evo for christsakes. When I bought my miata it was during summer and I overpaid by about 1200, but overpaying by at least ten grand is ridiculous!

Most likely answer - he was upside down on whatever he traded in on the car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

%%%THIZ IZ A AWESOME POST%%%

Some goddamn tweaker posted:

*=- THIS IS A -=*
** 1990 JEEP CHEROKEE **
*** WITH A 4.0 MOTOR ***
* 161,000 MILES *
*** 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION ***
** 20 INCH WHEELS ON SOME EXCELENT TIRES **
* NEW GRAY INTERIOR CARPET *
*** COOL NEW PAINT JOB ***
** CD STEREO WITH GREAT SPEAKERS **
* SUPER CLEAN LEATHER / CLOTH SEATS *
*** NEW DARK BLACK TINT WINDOWS ***
** NO SUN DAMAGE INSIDE **
RUNZ, LOOKZ, DRIVEZ, SOUNDZ, GREAT!
**MUST SEE**
ASKING $ 2,450.

CONTACT @ (480) 266-7425 OR (480) 385-9885

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Looks great, but a deal it is not. There's a 94 going for about the same with similar levels of maintenance. Even for Boston that's a bit high for a nice NA.

Not only that, 89k is not super-low miles for a 1990 Miata. You can still find cars that were bought 20 years ago and have only been driven once every few weekends since - I've seen at least a few early NAs with ~30k miles on them.

That said, if the underside is clean, that car would probably go for $3500 here in AZ no problem. It's in nice shape and it hasn't even had enough miles to hit its second timing belt swap. You'd probably have old seals start leaking but other than that, that car has another 100k in it easy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I haven't heard anyone being able to hit that high in one. Real world seems to be around 35, which is really silly for what the car is.

So is 40, really. The problem is you make a bunch of super-small-car sacrifices, and you get mileage that doesn't compare all that well to normal small cars which don't make any of the sacrifices.

Aren't the transmissions absolutely godawful, too?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You missed the "MAD FLEX" shots, and the fact that this fucker has 183k on the clock.

The 4L60E is probably hobbling along on its last clutch pack.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

I swear, I need to fly to Germany again and rent 8 sea containers.

Click here for the full 804x668 image.

The story of how this car ended up over there would be interesting.

The german used car sites, are a freaking gold mine.

gently caress, I would love to bring that car back here.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've actually seen this thing running around town. The 'plug' in the back of the cabin looks terrible, and the whole conversion kit looks like it was made out of cheap rear end fiberglass.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/1516760296.html

quote:

V8 5.7, 6speed, AC, PW ,PDL, CC, TW, Z51 Package,Power Seats, Leather. Bose CD Player, ABS 4 Wheel Disc, Alloy Wheels. 63,800 miles,
One Of A Kind Pick Up Conversion. Turns Heads Where Ever You Go

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Only excuse I can think of is because you simply can't buy a HSV ute in the US, and this is pretty much as close as you can get to one - big GM V8? Check. IRS? Check.

Hell, it actually has a full frame, too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Noni posted:

The best part of that is this:

Aww yeah. Sitting and staring at people behind you!

I miss the days before SUVs

Better yet, sitting and staring at the guy in the next lane your old man is blowing away.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There is nothing wrong with that other than the hood. P1800 shooting brake with 300+hp? gently caress. Yes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

Even if it is a Corvette engine of the early 60s it was rated at 250 gross HP. So about 200-225HP installed with straight pipes and just an alternator?

True, but I can hope that anyone going to that effort would work the motor over at least a little, 300hp really is nothing out of a 327.

And even if he didn't, you've got the world's best-supported engine already in there to start with.

Edit: Alternatively it may already have FAHV HUNNERT HARSEPAWR.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 18, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cpaka posted:

Sorry about the Corvet. Here's a Camero.

Click here for the full 1203x1184 image.

Nothing will touch this unbeleivable Camero race car in a race!

"Last year of the LT1 Truck Motor" in 1995? :psypop:

Also, only way I'd trust a LT1 for high mileage would be if you got rid of the loving ignition system. gently caress the Optispark.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How can you love anything with the GM 2.8?

I hope, at least, that the 4.0 is an easy swap into a Commanche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This brings poor CL photos to a new low: