Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If the price is really cheap, then people won't give a gently caress. I sold an '88 Volvo 240 recently for my mother-in-law - listed it as $200, not running, needs tires and a battery and maybe more, and I had people emailing me every five minutes on the drat thing. Two people started offering more and I ended up selling it in less than 24 hours for $300. Strangely someone ended up flagging it down literally as the buyer was handing me cash, probably because they were angry I wasn't responding to their emails in five minutes.

Best part was, they ended up swapping in a fresh battery and airing up the tires and drove away. Yes, if I had done that myself I might've been able to sell it for more, but based on the experience I had in '09 with selling my nearly identical Volvo - where it had recent tags and didn't need any work to keep going, and yet all I could get was $250 - I didn't want to dick around with it and just wanted the car sold ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nidhhogg posted:

It has no engine or transmission, but don't worry. The parachute works.

It's actually not all that unusual to see rolling race cars sold like that. Happens all the time with domestics; that way you're not restricting yourself to buyers who only want to run whatever class you were running. You may have set the car up for a turbo rotary, but someone else may want to put a NA rotary in it, or a V8, or something else altogether.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

Pretty much anything could probably handle a circa 1979 350. Including my motorcycle transmission.

They made a shitload more torque than you realize. GM would put the T-5 behind the 305 in Camaros, but never behind the 350 - and never in the Corvette. Original stick in that car would've been a four-speed.

Fun fact: No Corvette was ever built new with a five-speed. Two-speed automatics, three and four speed autos and manuals, a ZF 6-speed, the T-56 and whatever current variant (6060?) six-speed manuals, and the current 6L80E six-speed auto. They even did the Doug Nash 4+3 four-speed with an overdrive hung off the back, but never an actual five-speed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Asking a good bit over KBB on my mother-in-law's Camry, since the only comparable listings on CL are asking even further over KBB for cars with 200k+ miles and/or salvage titles, but just got this gem in email:

quote:

U out of u mind I just check kbb and u car is worth it 3000 exelent 2600good2100 fair as nd idnt think u car is exelents by the pics I can tell u that people r so stupid that why am kind afraid getin a car at craiglist people buy and sell car.shyty.dealers and now u tell me that come u should know what u sell dont scru up people good luck if somebody give u 3500

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Strangely, I got the best response on my Camry ad only after I threw in some language telling people not to bother with lowballs, etc.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Astroman posted:

I had no idea such a thing existed. Is it for real, or is it some kinda wacky coach built mod?

Does it matter? That thing is pure awesome. Think of the road trips you could have driving sailing that thing down the freeways.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's written in coherent English and isn't $2990, so my scam-dar isn't going off on it. However, I would expect to see a salvage title of some sort or undisclosed mechanical issues.

Very, very slim chance that it's legit; $4k off of KBB private means if it was legit it would probably have sold within minutes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rscott posted:

higher royal mounted police? :canada:

Now I'm imagining a Mountie smoking a bowl.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Not knowing how taxes work in Canadaland, perhaps he was including sales tax, registration, and a few gently caress-you fees from the dealership in that $200k number? It doesn't seem completely unreasonable for someone who wasn't doing a very good job of haggling to get an out-the-door number somewhere not far from $200k on a car with MSRP of $118k. 10% sales tax gets you almost to $130k right off.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VideoTapir posted:

And in a week you know what else won’t be around anymore? That ad. Post images, or at least copy/paste the text.

Is a non-drivable Typhoon really worth 5 grand?

If it really is just a transmission issue, then maybe. I don't think the 700R4 in those trucks has anything terribly special about it, and they're relatively easy/cheap to properly build these days.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

First off, holy poo poo the imgur Chrome extension is the most awesome thing ever. Resize window to make it narrow enough to post, right click, capture area, bam, instantly hosted screencap of the page:

Link to ad

Now I'm all for V8 swaps but I don't think this is quite how it's supposed to be. Yet I still can't decide if it's awful or awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The 400 crank is the longer-stroke version from the 400-cubic-inch version of the small-block Chevy. The 400 has both a longer stroke and a larger bore than the 350, but 400 blocks are relatively rare (and can have some cooling issues). Originally people actually used 400 cranks, but the swap is so common that there's now cranks meant exactly for this application.

383 actually comes from a combination of a 350 block plus a typical .030" overbore, along with that 400 crank. Ironically, you can now buy official GM 383s, but if the block has never been overbored, it's not actually a 383.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Warranty claim? The worn-off letters on my work keyboard are poor man's Das Keyboard :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Counterargument: "We would need to invest in a lot of marketing, additional dealer support, customer support, and comfort features, in order for this car to obtain a very small portion of the public market, or we can focus specifically on the fleet market that requires very little of all of those."

Cops aren't going to kvetch if their interior panel gaps are too big, and they're probably not going to run the engine on one oil change for 30k miles and then whine at GM for a new engine. Their cost on the Caprice is pretty much limited to whatever R&D was required to make it LHD, shipping it to the US, and disseminating spec sheets to police department buyers. They don't even have window stickers, or all of the information said sticker normally requires.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

Counter-counter argument here....there are dealers that have willing buyers with NONE of those things. That's my point. They are obviously already at dealers. They are obviously wanted by non-fleet customers as-is.

One dealer with ~10 cars for public consumption does not a viable marketshare make.

Footwork is right, people who want big sedans want luxury and status with it (the latter being the problem the Genesis Sedan has to deal with). People who don't care about that almost always want something smaller and more fuel efficient. The people actually most likely to buy something because of the fact that it has a GenIV V8 and rear wheel drive are buying Camaros and Corvettes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Scientist posted:

Again with the "I'm on linux and this computer doesn't have a hard drive yoda yoda etc..." cop out for the lack of screen shot, sorry.

Chrome's imgur extension can screencap websites straight to imgur.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seriously, if you have Chrome, install the imgur extension. Then you can right click, click "capture page" and it will autoscroll and screencap and upload to imgur for you.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

Yeah I heard you were selling some cookies?

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2442091256.html

My wife made a batch of cookies like that. They are pretty much the best thing ever.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anime Reference posted:

They only cross at 5250 if you're using ft/lbs and horsepower, whereas they're using Nm and... what the gently caress is "Hk"?

They also only cross on a graph if both are on the same scale. I've seen plenty of dyno graphs where one scale is expanded compared to the other so that the peak of both curves is at the top, even if one peak is 280hp and the other is 103ft-lb.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Image for posterity:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ozz81 posted:

That just looks terrible and sloppy with how they didn't bother to even change the hood. :( Only decent front end swap I'd seen in recent memory was one done on that Overhaulin' show, where a Chrysler 300 front end was swapped with a Dodge Magnum:

Opinions will vary on the rest (personally I don't care for the rims and flamey paint)

Big difference: The 300 and Magnum share a platform so that swap was probably just some bolt-on parts and maybe some bodywork to bring the lines together better - and whether you like Foose's tastes or not, he does always have some outstanding bodymen to put them into reality.

The 300 front end on the Durango? Looks like it was stuck on with 3M double-stick.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's more to understeer than drive type - it still has the majority of the weight up front so even with RWD it's going to want to push until the cows come home, right up until you get some snap oversteer by laying into the throttle too much with that turbo (if it still had the turbo, that is).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh hey, a NSX for under $20k at a dealer. Let's have a loo-

:stare:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ctd/2548306713.html

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

madattheinternet posted:

Seems like this car's got a bit of a story: http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93470

Huh, no poo poo, and then someone else did buy it and fixed it up some...still doesn't explain that paint: http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126203

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rscott posted:

I kind of want it

I paid the same amount for my '98 Ranger.

I clearly bought the wrong vehicle.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrSaturn posted:

The phrase "more money than sense" comes to mind ;)

< $16k direct from GM, brand new. http://bit.ly/oPqNMW

Eh, they don't discount THAT heavily on the crate, and that is just the engine / all of the sensors and injectors on it. You still need a computer and wiring harness, which are decidedly not-$0 parts, and all of the engine driven accessories that are not the waterpump.

Between the additional parts you would need to buy separately, and the parts not usable for a swap that you could resell, that Z06 is arguably the better choice. But if you just want 505hp, you can do it for a lot less money with a 5.7/6.0/6.2 (but you don't get to say you have a 427).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Huh, an Opel GT on eBay?

Not going to try and screencap everything since most of it is meh / loving ugly bodykit, but this is a thing:

Webers and a supercharger on a 1.9L CIH. God drat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I love that they put the stupid K&N "NO DON'T THROW THE FILTER OUT" sticker on the thing too. Even the most jaded grease monkey is going to take one look at that air filter placement, :stare:, and back away slowly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wheatpuppy posted:

But does it have a taco-meter?
:ese:

Taco meter?

E: NEED TACOS
F: NEED RESTROOM

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

Probably expected it was tuned before the damage was noticed. Also, I see no ECU flash. Its also DI so it might not have actually needed uprated injectors, depending on the headroom for that rockin $11k/60hp.

I admit that I've not looked that heavily into what's involved in heavy mods for my MS3 since I have no intention of doing that, but I don't think injectors are required for most situations - the direct injection ones it has can keep up drat well. However, it IS missing a part that a lot of MS3 guys do with just an intake and exhaust, LONG before you even think of doing a turbo - an upgraded high pressure fuel pump.

So, 'overboost' my rear end, this thing ran lean.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nankang tires are the scariest things out there. I've only ever had to deal with six, and all six had major belt failures.

I would rather be running around on underinflated Firestone Wilderness A/Ts at this point.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Stealth Like posted:

It's a Maserati Bi-turbo, probably one of the least reliable cars ever made.

The only way any other car could possibly be more unreliable than a Maserati Biturbo would be if it was constantly on fire.

Much like the Biturbo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had no idea this existed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Screenshots, people, those ads won't last forever!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

35 mpg aerodynamic front end, no mention of if it does that while running a water temp of 250 degrees?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I do not think that word image means what you think it means.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bucephalus posted:

It was instructions, not an explanation.

I meant that for all of the demotivationals in the ad, not your image :v: Posted from my phone and didn't quote.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The Suburban started it's life as a 2-door, and continued right up into the 70's:

:ssh: That one's a three-door - two on the passenger side and one on the driver's.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I sincerely hope this is either the wrong pic, or the world's greatest sleeper...

Or he's talking 1/8th mile :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Could be legit. Gold Canyon is a weird place. It gives me a HillsHaveEyes/JeepersCreepers vibe but in the desert.

You also might die/get eaten.

I don't live that far from it, actually.

I wonder how badly my wife would kill me...