Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

9k for a Fiero with a Diablo kit and a dozen cans of worms? Sign me up!

http://denver.craigslist.org/car/536170614.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Flying_Dane posted:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/car/555522619.html

Is he selling 32 of them or wts?... also, burd.

Wow... if you stare past it, it becomes like a magic eye. I guess he's selling only like 16 "burds" but they're all three dimensional. Similary, there is a "Couger" for sale on my CL. I've always wanted to drive a "Coo-jer."

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

streetlamp posted:

Now this is some loving speed and class

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/car/554836406.html

"for sale to the best offer above 100k from a guy with deep enough pockets and the balls to show off this PRIMO street beast"

I don't know which is more awesome:
1) SPEED AND CLASS!
2) DEEP POCKETS, BIG BALLS!

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

U pete? U sale?

http://denver.craigslist.org/car/562918192.html

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

sliderule posted:

What's the point of the fan up front if there is no radiator there?

To increase Deathocity. I wonder if the hidden radiator has an electric fan.

It is really disturbing that I like that Deathtruck.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

http://denver.craigslist.org/car/694172364.html

Thanks for this really informative picture. That really helps me evaluate the quality of the vehicle.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Click here for the full 980x410 image.

Either a broken con-rod makes "a little clicking," or this person knows nothing, and it is an Intrepid with a dead battery for $500.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Speed and class Miata? I present the Speed and Class BMW:

Click here for the full 995x236 image.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

The Fast and the Fiero-est

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

$350 is not a lot of money. Please tell me I'm a complete idiot. I know it would be like dating a crazy chick with lots of baggage.

Click here for the full 1005x1330 image.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Boat posted:

I had a '72 Dodge Dart which is pretty much the exact same thing and it treated me well. If that's got the slant 6 like mine did it'll run forever. That said, it doesn't sound like that thing is long for this world.

I've got a 71 Duster with the slant 6, which I guess is why I'm curious about this V8 car. It just sounds fun, and would probably make for an inexpensive coffin.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

I know old Thunderbirds are valuable and all...

Click here for the full 1055x679 image.

Also, I want this so bad it hurts. I don't care if it's not original:

Click here for the full 1047x864 image.

I really wish I had some spare cash.

Dr Rocksalt fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 27, 2010

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Piano posted:

I'm always confounded by these m3 conversion guys, mainly because (1) before I knew anything at all about cars(average person), I didn't know what an m3 really was or cared at all. (2) I still know almost jack poo poo about bmws but I know enough about cars in general that I can spot a real m3 from across a parking lot.
That car is made to impress people who don't really know what that trim level even means.

I'm similarly puzzled by those fake brake rotors you can stick behind your hubcaps to make it look like you have disc brakes. If you care enough about cars to know about rotors and such, you can instantly see they're fake. If you don't care much about cars, you wouldn't even know what it was supposed to be imitating, and couldn't possibly be impressed.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

I found out that Matlab can read in websites, so I did the first thing I thought of: plotted used car prices from Craigslist!

First iteration of the program just gave an average, high, and low price for a given model and year in your area. Second scanned all years of the model in the area and plotted it. Third scans all years of a given model, and averages the models over most of the larger areas on CL. This takes a long time to run, but it shows some cool stuff.

The program is far from flawless, since this is just based on a search term, so dumb-shits can still fool it with their 1993 Civic they put "WILL TRADE FOR CORVETTE" in the title. I also put a lower limit of $50 on the search, but I feel like the averages are low. Also, forgive my weird y-axis labels. It's supposed to say "cost," but my version of Matlab is grumpy as hell sometimes.

On with plots!

Corvette

Click here for the full 1200x900 image.

Mustang

Camaro

Wrangler

I have some more of long-running productions like "Thunderbird" and "Beetle" and "Bug," if anyone wants to see those. Long story short, it looks like almost all cars in 1985 are the minimum. Super-nerd me wants to take the hp for each car and year and divide that out to get hp/$ (yes, I would have to change the search term to eliminate, say, V6 Mustangs).

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Tai-Pan posted:

I LOVE this kind of information. Please post everything. Can you pull things like "Ferrari" as well? The data suggests almost perfect U shape for the collectables. With enough data you could almost predict the exact month to buy a Ferrari 305 an have it start appreciating. Assuming the model holds and it is not that the 80's just sucked so much.

Yeah, I'll post most of the rest tomorrow. I re-wrote the program to make it much quicker and easier to work with. I'm working on having it read a new list of cities, but making a list of every craigslist site in the US is taking a while.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

I'm planning on selling my e30 318, and trying to figure out how to price it has been interesting. Local ads vary way too much, and provide some interesting examples. Mine is no peach (it's clapped as hell), but I still can't figure out where to price it.

A hellaflush M50 swap
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4746568602.html

A ruined engine block, being parted out
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4732654962.html

Has this been rattlecanned?
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4700005286.html

And one that's worth as much as an e90...
http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/4713120872.html

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I think your body spontaneously grows one when you buy it.

My wife and I actually own one of these. Her grandpa passed away and left it to us, along with an 89 Westy. The morning after it showed up in our driveway, I woke up in a tux and some guy named Enrique brought me breakfast. The brakes are weird as hell and barely exist, but it has fold down tables in the back for champagne, so who needs brakes.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Waffle House posted:

We need a thread, AND more pictures.

I'd pondered a thread, but the progress on EVERY project I have has been glacial recently thanks to building a Lemons car. Which raced this last weekend! And didn't blow up! And was probably the slowest car on the track!

Everyone from my wife's family calls the Rolls "The Bentley," and some oral family history seems to imply it wasn't a factory Rolls, but I haven't done much research. I feel like an awful car person because I know next to nothing about this car that sits in my garage.

Right hand drive, but still right hand shifter, which makes getting in and out fun.

Back seat couch (yes, plenty of ash trays):

Aforementioned Lemons car. 94 Volvo 940, converted to turbo with Megasquirt installed at the last minute. Theme was weak (Swedish rednecks, words on roof read "General Leif" with a Swedish flag), car ran like trash, but had more fun than I thought possible.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

This came up on my local copart auction. Good to see e30 M3 prices are staying reasonable.

Auction Listing

$24k for a “stripped” M3 with 154k miles and “Transmission = NO.” Actually could be a bargain to flip, but that’s still a lot of money.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

I got as far as setting up a time to see this before realizing that two Lemons cars is enough. But it made me very sad to cancel.

Italian, ran when parked, "minor corrosion," mechanical fuel injection, wrecked, title issues... It's perfect.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

I found out last night my tattoo artist has a 78 Toyota Chinook for sale at $3k. Sounds a bit like a basket case and I know I’m telling the wrong crowd to talk me out of it, but it’s so weird and cool…
hoping for some pics here soon.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

I got so close to buying an extremely clapped out one of these at a junkyard auction. Well, not a diesel swap, but still, very cool. Modern electronics would really help.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Mustache Ride posted:

I owned a 54 international and it did not have split rims but it wasn't a dually so take that as you will.

I have a 54 with regular, but then some year 3/4 tons and 1 tons do. Like everything IHC those years, there are about infinite combinations.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

deong posted:

That pacer is rad as hell.
It brought me to this :
https://www.facebook.com/marketplac..._type=top_picks

My tattoo artist has a Chinook they want to sell, and I would probably own it already if I had a place to park it where the HOA wouldn’t get mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Hadlock posted:

This one goes to 11

Got dang. It’s only an 8 hour drive…