Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
This is pretty ridiculous, even by CL standards.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/2014540075.html

94 BMW take over my lease - $2000 posted:

hello i have a 1994 bmw 740
133,000 mile car in perfect condition leather seats sun roof
car note 260 a month
asking for 2000 down payment i have only 16 more payments

willing to take over please call...

:psyduck:

Who in the world tricked that poor girl into getting in that kind of "lease" on something like that? And does she think there's anyone out there as stupid as she is that would take it over??? It's not even worth the down payment she's asking for, much less the 16 additional payments of $260. Oops, I meant only 16 additional payments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I didn't even think to screencap the listing at the time, but this weekend I bought a '74 BMW 2002 for $1500. I somehow miraculously got bumped up to the #1 spot when his first looker no-showed. We did all the paperwork in his living room and his inbox was FILLED with responses to the listing. He could have listed it for twice the price and still sold it the same day.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

well take pictures of the car DAMMIT

It was in the BMW thread. :ohdear:

Before and after those awful bumpers.
Crappy snapshots though. I'll go out and document it properly this weekend after it's had a wash and wax.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I hate you so much right now I could kiss you.

;-*
Yeah, I usually only hear about these sorts of deals AFTER the fact. It was really stupid of me to buy a car right now, but hey, $1500 2002 in great condition. There were a whole mess of other people beating down his door if I wouldn't have jumped on it.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Really? Last time I checked they were going for 6-8K, I'll have to look into this. A friend of mine has seen the car before, most of the work was done by an excellent local performance shop but the stuff that wasn't done by them...

In other news, anyone wager how much this is worth?

http://manitoba.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1974-Alfa-Romeo-GTV-W0QQAdIdZ243580454

Click here for the full 1280x800 image.

Listing posted:

I am looking to trade my ALFA GTV for a newer Toyota Tacoma 4door 4x4 preferably...

What kind of idiot is the seller to want to do something like that? GTVs have more than TRIPLED in price in the last 10 years- something a Taco will never do.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Oh no... :(

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2227827244.html

Listing posted:

About $8000.00 in parts and tons of labor hours invested.
9,000.00 or best offer - ONLY SERIOUS INQUIRIES PLEASE

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Oh look, yet another joker who thinks their half-a-zillion mile E30 is worth 3x more than the book value.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2281254700.html

listing posted:

new engine with 90k

That's an odd take on the meaning of the word "new". :crossarms:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

SwashedBuckles posted:

It does look really clean, though. Is $3700 really overpriced for a car that clean?

Keep in mind that I live in the rust belt and cars with no rust and no paint damage from road debris command a premium here.

It's overpriced in the Bay Area, yeah. Since he didn't give the mileage in the ad, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed it was a clean title and ONLY has 200K on the clock. According to KBB, that should be worth $1350. You're right about it being exceptionally clean, and I would definitely pay more than that if it really is as nice as the guy says. But almost 3 times as much? Not a chance. I got my first E30 here (89 325i with 150K) for $1700. It wasn't as nice as this, but it was still pretty drat good.

I sent the guy an email asking for the mileage and the VIN. Haven't heard back from him yet, shockingly enough. I'm in the market right now and I'm genuinely interested in this, but I don't think the guy is going to listen to reason. He's certainly not the first that thinks theirs is the golden example that shines above the rest.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I just heard back from the guy with the 318. It has 175K on the chassis, so that's a nice surprise. Still though, according to KBB, it's worth $1185 in EX condition, which only 5% of cars actually live up to. I told him I'm interested, and I'm willing to talk about his pricing, but I don't see him rejoining reality any time soon...

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

rscott posted:

Good luck convincing a BMW owner that their 20 year old stripper model car is only worth 1200 bucks. Granted those wheels are probably worth a bit more than whatever steelies came with it but a lot of people see BMW and think its automatically worth a ton.

Yeah, I don't have high hopes, but I didn't just contact him to troll him, I really am interested in the car. I just happen to know that what he's asking for it is outrageous around here.

As far as the wheels go, he can take those ugly-rear end things. All those tell me is that I need to spend a few hundred more on bottlecaps and new rubber.

EDIT: AHAHAH, he got back to me in what could best be described as 5th-grade-level English and told me that people who know E30s know this one is a mint classic and it's worth every penny. Well best of luck to you, buddy. :)

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 24, 2011

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

KBB is bad at:

Old cars
Rare cars
Cars with enthusiast communities
Geographic variations.

If you're shopping for Camries in Nebraska, it might be useful.

I don't doubt that it's worth more than $1185, but still. Next week someone will come on CL and have the same thing, but for $2K. There are just SO MANY of them around here. I paid under $2K for my current E30 325i, and although it wasn't as nice as his, it's not like I got some rare deal, either. There were several I was looking at that same week. If he were selling it in the Midwest his price would be far more realistic. I mean, it's not even an IS model.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

As if to make up for the lame deal on that E30, today I found and bought a pair of Sparco reclining seats with brackets for $200! Gold! :)

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

If any of you Goons are close to the Bay Area, I just listed the seats from my '74 2002.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/2292554010.html

They're shot, but not beyond repair. Best of all they're FREE. So come take them from me.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I spy at least 2x the price of that car in parts alone, right there. If I had garage space I'd buy that right now. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/2867452726.html

The seller also has it listed on Ebay for $5900 buy it now.

...and she accepted an offer of $5500. :ninja: