Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

angryhampster posted:

I am having a hard time NOT justifying this.

http://iowacity.craigslist.org/cto/4002406736.html

It's so goddamn tempting. It's probably a $40 fuel pump and a couple hours work. I hate being married and cost-conscious.

e: I'm sorry about your tables.

Do it. I'll help you work on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I can't wait to sell my E30s for $10,000/ea :smug:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

Did he swap late model bumpers on that thing or are those aftermarket? I thought it was a PITA to put the late model bumpers on 86s. Definitely giving me ideas for stuff to do to my 86 325es down the line though. :getin:

They're just painted metal bumpers that are tucked well. 84-87s can swap front valences/bumpers relatively easily, but rears require some cutting, and it looks awkward because the rear of the car is actually different on 88-91s.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

Never not get an E30.

And while you're at it, buy two.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Crustashio posted:

I'd say try r3v, but suddenly they all think e30s are worth 6-8k despite the same car being 3k a few years ago.

I think the reason for this is because of

BlackMK4 posted:

If anyone comes across a clean E30 2dr non-vert or a Protege5 somewhere west of Texas for <$4k let me know... I'm having issues finding anything and am now in a time crunch.

Clean decent E30s are getting harder to find, unfortunately.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

I paid 7k last summer for my 90 325iS with 200k on it :colbert: no regrets yolooooo

My 1990 325iS with 135k was $4800 in 2008. My 1991 318i with 120k was $1800 in 2011. Both were rust free. Everyone wants to buy them from me. It's hard to find rust free E30s for less than $2000 that aren't basketcases or pieces of poo poo, unless you're in a place where rust doesn't exist, and even then basketcases and pieces of poo poo are abound.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its not ~pure~
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4425163713.html

This seems like a pretty good deal. Though the part I circled, needing a heater core would suck. The only issue I see that is on the corner near the rear tire looks slightly flaky like rust. Salvage title on something this old doesnt bother me as long as it drives strait.

This is not a good deal for a salvage ETA with a bad heater core. There are much better examples for similar cash. This might be a good chassis, though.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

20k will get you an E30 M3 in pretty loving good condition and as much as that guy would like to claim that thing weighs almost 300lbs less, I'm a bit doubtful without seeing that thing on the scales.

e: Also no M3 seats which is like a good 25% of the reason to buy an M3 IMO

e2: No 5 lug swap done which means it's probably using stock E30 brakes, how the hell does it stop better than an M3?

It doesn't. Buy an E30 M3. The weight balance with the power would be nice, but you'd be better off with an M3.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I have never seen a USDM E30 with manual windows, for whatever that's worth. Definitely not common, if anything. I've only seen a couple slicktop ones as well.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Crustashio posted:

The funny part is there was a legit federalized 320is for sale not that long ago and I think it was under 20k.

There is almost no market for that car. Anyone with that money will just buy an M3. The only value in that car would be pulling the S14 back out and selling it, then selling the shell separately to someone for a 24v swap.

The wheels are nice but it looks like it has the wrong size tire on them, as well. No suspension work done, either.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Not gold. Body damage. Interior parts missing, like the main carpet. Missing and mismatched body trim.

Looks like a basketcase.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/4493372708.html

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

HotCanadianChick posted:

That looks more like heavily compressed jpeg artifacting causing pixels near the edge of the label to chroma shift + the glossiness of the label picking up a bluish hue from the light bouncing off the blue paint surrounding it. Craigslist recompressing the picture after upload probably doesn't help.
It's possible it might be overspray, but I think it's far more likely it's just a lovely picture (big surprise, crappy pics in a Craigslist ad).

Edit: actually, the upper right corner does look like it's got paint slopped on it, so you may be right.

Are you blind? Look closer. There is over spray on the bottom of the tag. There is over spray on the upper right corner of the tag.

Over spray on those tags is concerning.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Isn't the 1.9 a Chrysler-originated engine anyway? I've heard that but I'm not sure if it was in reference to the Z3 or some other BMW.

The 1.9 is the M44, which is based on the M42.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/4735845518.html

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

Pretty sure the 320i would have been an M40 which everyone hates, so why not an M20?

320s were M20 cars in Europe IIRC.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

everdave posted:

I don't know. Restore it (yes that would be a monumental undertaking) or flip it as-is for a profit if I got it for a few hundred bucks. The 70 z's are going up in value. Just don't know if its worth the trouble

It's not. That thing is a parts car.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/5662242704.html posted:

Custom built for the air force 2009 Dodge challenger Vapor - $90000 (Central City Iowa)
IF YOU GO ON THE INTERNET AND GOOGLE GALPIN MOTOR SPORTS DODGE CHALLENGER VAPOR THERE ARE SEVERAL VIDEOS OF THE BUILD.Custom one off 2009 Dodge challenger stealth Vapor. Built in Califorina for a training and flight simulation and the super car tour At a cost of over $250.000.00 this is a killer deal.5.7 Hemi,custom one off carbon fiber hood and scoop,heads up display.two steering.custom 20 inch wheels and much much more There is so much to tell you about this car you can go on line and google 2009 Dodge challenger Vapor and click on many of the pictures videos and information ...

It runs Windows.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Holy poo poo

https://www.facebook.com/mike.faram.3/posts/1246303158724863
Time capsule Barn Finds 1970 and 1974 Fords with matching House Trailer untouched since 1980....Runs and drives almost perfect condition. Asking price $55,000.00 ea. The 74 has boat in bottom storage compartment with motor included with sale.
Serious Inquiries Only Located in DALLAS TX

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 11, 2016

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
They're like a 2002 but not quite and an E30 but not quite.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KakerMix posted:

The only reason it's interesting is because it's a manual transmission wagon also they seem desperate enough to sell.

Also this person

Why would you replace the clutch and not the throw out bearing?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

DJ Commie posted:

Probably replaced just the clutch disk too, and nothing else. I did the opposite on my $1450 Subaru, it only needed a throwout bearing and it got a whole new clutch system so I wouldn't have get in there again.

That's exactly it. If you're in there, you might as well replace it. It's not fun tearing all that poo poo apart. Makes me think it's indicative of the rest of the car.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/d/1957-fiat-subaru-25-sti/6255969582.html posted:

1957 Fiat/Subaru, This Fiat is powered by a NEW 2.5 Subaru STI short block, DOHC heads, Cosworth stainless head gaskets, ARP studs, T3/T4 hybrid turbo, Bosh 550 injectors, twin Pierburg fuel pumps, Porsche G50 LSD turbo Carrera 5 speed transaxle via a Kennedy Engineered Products adapter, Monolithic Flywheel, Aluminum pressure plate and disc built for 650 ftlb of torque, Porsche 930 cv joints, Hargett Pro G-50 Billet shifter assembly, Custom Ceramic coated exhaust with Gibson muffler, Shortened oil pan, HKS blow off valve, Tial 38mm wastegate, Laptop programmable EMS Stinger Engine Management system, Greddy pro-fec b spec II boost controller, Line lock, C&R dual pass radiator with 3000 cfm computer controlled fan, STI wing mounted intercooler, Custom round tube chassis, Custom 10 pt roll cage, Wheelie bars, Adjustable beam, KYB shocks on front, QA1 coilovers on rear, Adjustable beam, Original body with Fiberglass Flares added, Running over 300 hp @ 16 lb of boost...over 500 hp @ 30 lb of boost, Only 2,900 plus miles since it was built, This Professional no-expense-spared build is EXTREMELY FAST BUT TIGHT!!! Over $40,000 in this build, The car is guaranteed value insured for $35,000, asking $28,500 or best offer, May trade for something unique of same value, call show contact info
this is a land line phone...you can't text. ask for Carl, Thank you. I don't need help selling this car, no tire kickers, no joy rides, no dreamers, cash only

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Darchangel posted:

Aren't E30 prices supposed to be like, stupid? What I'm saying is: go buy it and flip it without effort.

Verts are less desirable and it's mostly E30 M3s that are skyrocketing in price. Regular E30s are just getting more rare and nicer ones are going for a prettier penny.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
https://waterloo.craigslist.org/cto/d/1959-oldsmobile-camper/6341804243.html

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Dagen H posted:

Iowa City :ssh:

(insert Bucephalus joke here)

Iowa City has some weird car culture.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I'm about to fly to Los Angeles and drive a 1995 BMW 318ti back to Iowa. Should be fun.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Bajaha posted:

If you've got some time, check out my thread, I took s similar trip with a fly and drive from LA to Manitoba and there were some killer recommendations for what to as on the way back. Iowa is a little more west and less north than me but the majority of the route applies if you want to do scenic. There's some seriously good road and sights along the way.

Yeah, I've definitely looked through your threads for idea. However, we are on a somewhat limited time frame so we're hitting up some stuff in LA, scenic routes on the way, hitting Denver, and then 12 hours home. Should be two roughly 8 hour days plus a 12 hour day. I've done the trip before from IA -> LA this route, but never headed back the north way. It's gonna be chilly!

Any bets for how much snow we deal with headed back on I-70 in late October?

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 8, 2018

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rhombus posted:

Make sure the heat works while you're in LA. I flew from Nebraska to Vegas to buy a '97 318ti and found out the heat didn't work while crossing the Rockies. I did learn that even though the car didn't have a trip computer, the little digital clock would beep when outside temps approached freezing.

Fortunately it is my brothers, so I know the A/C and heat both work. I'm paranoid about a variety of items and he just sends me a receipt where he has replaced whatever the item is in the past couple of years. I think we're just gonna get there, do a passenger side window regulator, and head east. I'm nervous about the weather going through the mountains, but hoping for the best. I'd like to head through the mountains and Denver because we don't have that kind of landscape where I live. Praying the automotive and weather gods align to keep us going down the road.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

NitroSpazzz posted:

Yup BMW M21 turbo diesel, gutless as hell and parts are getting harder and harder to find. A few years ago we rebuilt the one in the 524td and bought the last available head in the US. Every head you buy has cracks of various severity, if they don't they'll crack the first time they get warm.

Aren't the forged cranks good for 2.8 M20s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

i own every Bionicle posted:

It might be a manual, Facebook market place defaults to auto if you forget to select what the transmission is when you post it. Reminder: Facebook market place is objectively terrible and the only reason it has taken over Craigslist is because it force-shows listings to people who are otherwise sharing conspiracies or life hack videos.

The car looks like it is in very good shape besides the flames and Original Character Do Not Steal on the hood, what a shame.

I've selected manual and for some reason it has still showed up as automatic when I have sold on FB before.