Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

There is clearly something wrong here.
I can't seem to put my opposable thumb on it....

Egomaniac posted:

No one has ever completed an LP of the first game, on SA at least. A guy started one a long time back and it never got past the second video, I think. I did the second game and it's on the LP Archive:

http://lparchive.org/Fatal-Frame-2/

There was also an LP of Fatal Frame 3 that got over halfway through but it was suddenly abandoned too.

EDIT: Oh yeah, RandomStranger did Fatal Frame 4 on the Wii with the translation patch, but it never got archived. If you've got SA archives you can read it here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3285052&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Check out this LP of Fatal Frame. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJxb0mUv3Dg

It is about 10 episodes in right now and it's going through til the end for sure.

Just saw a recommendation that the second game was really great. So I'm excited about seeing/playing some of that also.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

threedestinos posted:

Check out this LP of Fatal Frame. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJxb0mUv3Dg

It is about 10 episodes in right now and it's going through til the end for sure.

Just saw a recommendation that the second game was really great. So I'm excited about seeing/playing some of that also.

I... um, so did you just reply to a post from 2011? I'm really confused. :confused: Since that was posted Niggurath has done really excellent LPs of Fatal Frame 1, 2 and 3! They're all up on the archive here: one, two, and three.

Fake edit: Wait did you just reply to a post from three years ago to pimp your own LP?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Panzer Skank posted:

I... um, so did you just reply to a post from 2011? I'm really confused. :confused: Since that was posted Niggurath has done really excellent LPs of Fatal Frame 1, 2 and 3! They're all up on the archive here: one, two, and three.

Fake edit: Wait did you just reply to a post from three years ago to pimp your own LP?

Holy poo poo I was sort of iffy after I reported that post (for pimping your own LP, but then I saw it was an answer to a question) but now I don't feel guilty. A post from 2011????? Were you reading the topic in order or doing some sort of search?

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 8, 2014

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

a good lp shunned in favor of a niggurath recommendation, what has this forum come to...

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

After seeing that the request was three years old, I just noticed that this thread was posted in 2007 :staredog: Think it might be time to make a new thread.

Regarding the OP, I'm fishing for a few different LP types and recommendations. Could I get a few recommendations for each of these, as well as possibly a general type that I'm not aware of? This is largely going off of some tags Baldurk uses on LPArchive.org. I figure differentiating comedy-vs-non isn't necessary. Also, if you guys have a better idea for some of the group names, let me know! In the end, I'd like to make it in to a go-to listing of common recommendations. Of course, the OP would contain finished stuff :v: I'll likely update it and add certain recommendations in the future.

Solo Commentary
Deadly Premonition by supergreatfriend - A few years dated now, but a must see for anyone who even remotely enjoys video let's play. DP (haha) is the kind of game that's significantly more fun to watch than it is to play. It has a pretty interesting plot, setting, and characters, but the game play is pretty sub par. SGF has a passion for this game and has probably played it more than anyone on this planet should or will. He shows it off in such a way that it can present itself clearly, and in an even cinematic way. This might be a little hyperbolic, but there's not many LPs as special as this one that convey the essence of the game so well through the whole thing. I'm envious of you if you haven't discovered this gem. (Recommended by AssailantLF)
Jurassic Park: Trespasser by Research Indicates - The first video lp to ever reach the goldmine; Research Indicates explores Jurrasic Park as a set of animated breasts while grappling with Dinosaurs and solving terrible physics puzzles. (Recommended by Ursus Veritas)
Battlefield 1942 by James315 - He is incredibly skilled at the game, and despite being a strictly multiplayer game, everything is introduced at a reasonable rate, and is always engaging. At the end of each map, he gives a good overview of what went well for each side, and how the outcome of the game could have changed. (Recommended by unpronounceable)
Demon's Souls by Squint - Squint is incredibly thorough showing off a ton of what the game has to offer. He points out a lot of plot elements that may otherwise be missed. To complement his playthrough, there are a couple others: one for a new game+ playthrough, and the punchyfist run. (Recommended by unpronounceable)
OatmealRaisin's Let's Play of Spec Ops: The Line is an exemplary case of how and why an LP should be done. The game itself is a generic effort in an over-done genre that many people are sick of or never liked in the first place, but it has a lot of profound, thought-provoking, and utterly devastating things to say to its players. OatmealRaisin's commentary is expertly paced and carefully toned to present the game's unanswerable questions in such a way that the viewer can't help but ruminate on them as they were meant to, and it honestly helps to have a guiding voice in some of the darker moments. Spec Ops: The Line is practically a required experience, and this Let's Play might be the best way to go about that. (Recommended by Fiendly)
Devil May Cry 3 by AccountingNightmare - Devil May Cry 3 is a hard game. AccountingNightmare provides a skilled playthrough of both of its highest difficulties while providing informative commentary and she does it all live.
((Off-site LP)) Kay Plays Dark Souls Blind - Starts off really slow with basically no editing and she's initially as bad as any newcomer to the Souls series, so you might want to skip the first few episodes. Kay has a very methodical play style, is very observant of her surroundings, and even takes notes to keep track of all the lore and sprawling paths in the game. It's fantastic and entertaining to see her grow as a player and tackle all of the various challenges this game has throughout. It feels like a very complete LP and almost like how the developers intended the game to be played, as she's even able to piece together all of the lore on her own, unlike most first timers. (Recommended by AssailantLF)

Multiple Commentators
Chip Cheezum & General Ironicus' Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance LP - Hands-down the most informative LP you're likely to find for this game. Chip goes through the mechanics of how to properly play, how to do well, and also shows off a perfect-ranked playthrough on a relatively hard difficulty. If you like action, amazing music, more action, and memes born of song lyrics, this is an absolute must-see. (Recommended by Geop)
Dead to Rights by Slowbeef and Diabetus - Join 'Beef and 'Betus as super cop Jack Slate is framed for murder, meets his bff Wireboy, unravels the mysterious past of Longshoreman X and fights a middle eastern Prince who breathes fire. Maybe the dumbest game ever made ridiculed in that retsupurae fashion we all love. (Recommended by Ursus Veritas)
Lazyfire's Battlefield 4 is a good LP. Battlefield 4 is, uh, arguably not. In true Battlefield fashion, the multiplayer is where the game shines--and yet for whatever reason they continue to include superfluous and terrible single-player campaigns. Lazyfire, along with a slew of LPers from the Let's Play subforum (and the internet at large), show just how far up the river this uniquely terrible campaign experience goes. Thankfully, an extensive series of multiplayer videos are there to remind the player why the game is still worth playing, as well some incredible griefing videos of which notable griefers make appearances to co-commentate on their handiwork. (Recommended by Blind Sally)
Chaos Legion by Edo Animus - Chaos Legion is a moderately obscure PS2 action game made by Capcom. The game got a middling reception, mostly from reviewers who were trying to play it as a Devil May Cry-clone and failing. Edo Animus shows off how to play the game properly and then some. He and his co-commentator are also highly knowledgeable about the legends and mythologies that the characters in the game are based on. (Recommended by JordanKai)
High School Dreams: Best Friends Forever by Dyslexiactic and best friend Proxx Choxx is a fantastic LP of an obscure game. Two dudes blindly stumble through a mediocre, poorly-implemented, and seemingly half-finished high school life simulator and have a good time pointing out all of the mistakes the game can make with no rudeness or anger. The amount of effort Dys put in to showing off this game, even getting to 100% completion (with all of the inconsistencies it causes between the characters) and putting way more work into production than this game really deserves. It's a good time for all. (Recommended by ChorpSaway)

Co-Op
The Freelance Astronauts' New Super Mario Bros Wii LP - Some games are about banding together and using teamwork to overcome adversity -- this is not one of them. A hilarious LP where the biggest threat doesn't come from the enemies along the way, but from man itself. Enjoy watching suffering and four-player co-op dickery? This is it. (Recommended by Geop)
helloitsdan & lithuanian dad's Mercenaries 2 LP - A wonderfully amazing co-op romp through South America! Probably one of the first things that someone new to the subforum should watch! (Recommended by Geop)
Kaubocks & Panzer Skank's Saints Row 2 LP - Between IdolNinja's amazing mods and the general antics Panzer & Kaubocks get in to, calling this LP "funny" is an understatement. Definitely one of the best things I've seen around here. (Recommended by Geop)
WanderinNewbie's Demon's Souls LP with Taoto - Two people take on a famously difficult game and bend it to their will while taking requests from the thread on weapons and equipment. (Recommended by Lazyfire)
Resident Evil 5 by RChimp Cola and Sinatrapod - I cannot recommend this highly enough, easily the funniest LP on the archive. I rewatch it every so often to remind myself of the Legend of Spaghetti. (Recommended by Kaboom Dragoon)
I would like to put in my recommendation for Amulets and Armor played by Mzbundifund and Bacter. It's a first person action RPG in an engine not dissimilar to Doom's. There is a great dynamic between Mzbundifund who has in-depth knowledge of the game and Bacter who has never played it before. The LP came to the notice of one of the original developers who had interesting insights and went on to release a Windows compatible version. (Recommended by Ptarmigans)
Left 4 Dead by Baldurk / cKnoor / ethansteele / Blister - Four besties do their best to survive the zombie apocalypse in classic co-op fashion (which is to say loving each other over). Features playthroughs of the main campaign, mod campaigns, and multiplayer videos. (Recommended by Ursus Veritas)
Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures by pokecapn / kungfujesus / medibot / mynameiskaz - Watch the best Zelda game you never played with the most absurd recording setup in subforum history, to quote the OP: "4 GameCubes, 4 GBA Players, 4 GCN-GBA cables, a Wii to plug them all into, 4 SD capture cards, 1 HD-PVR, and 2 computers." (Recommended by Ursus Veritas)

Subtitled
Silent Hill: Homecoming by Kamoc - one of the most technically clever LP's I've ever seen, Kamoc uses Youtube annotations to offer a Choose Your Own Adventure-style way of showing off the game's dialogue and decisions. It's simple, but it works extremely well and manages to set up some great gags, as a bonus. (Recommended by Kaboom Dragoon)
Silent Hill by VoidBurger - Much like Kamoc, VoidBurger goes through the game showing it off in good detail, as well as explaining little easter eggs/references wherever they lie. If you enjoyed the Homecoming LP, this is definitely right up your alley, and vice versa! ((Also, my name is Harry Mason. I'm here on vacation)) (Recommended by Geop)
The Last Express by Olive Branch. It's a murder-mystery-on-a-train sort of game and there are multiple paths and endings, most of them bad, and he goes out of his way to show off every one of them. He even went the extra mile and got every foreign language translated into English for your benefit, including French and Arabic. The guy really loved the game and the effort he went through to present it really showed. (Recommended by Maple Leaf)

Laid Back
The Void, by Cannibal K9: The Russian-est game that you'll ever see. You play as a disembodied soul wandering around in a barren dreamlike landscape, and CannibalK9's commentary is relaxing and low key, very appopriate to the slow pace of the game. (Recommended by Fat Samurai)
medibot & Mynameiskaz's Kirby's Epic Yarn LP - As much as I hate using the word, this is one of the most chill LPs you'll find around there here parts. Medibot and Kaz play through the game in co-op mode and just have such a darned relaxing, fun time with it all. (Recommended by Geop)

Atmospheric
Giragast's Cold Fear LP - Something I constantly recommend to people as it's not only a really well done subtitled LP, but has a set of Extreme mode videos and the LPer basically takes the game apart to show you the tricks and methods the developers used to make the game do what it does, which is pretty unique. (Recommended by Lazyfire)
The Man With a Hat's Dead Space LP - Another subtitled LP of a horror game that works incredibly well and done by someone who clearly loves the game and knows it inside and out. (Recommended by Lazyfire)

Grab-Bags/Megathreads
Advergames by The Men Drinkin' Coffee - In which the Men Drinkin' Coffee play and riff on numerous titles intended to shill out some cheap advertisement under the guise of being subpar games. Some are halfway decent! Many aren't! (Recommended by Geop)
The Girl Games Megathread by DeviousVacuum - Girl games are horrible. Absolutely terrible. Watch as Devac plays through dozens of horrendous bright pink, glittery flash games including how to date the cutest boy and blasting growths in your nose. I'm serious. (Recommended by Geop)

Informative SSLPs
The Chzo Mythos by Quovak - The games are point and click adventures, and Quovak shows where they work, where they don't, and breaks down why they do or don't. It's critical, but not overwhelmingly so, and Yahtzee's retrospective commentary really complements Quovak's analysis. (Recommended by unpronounceable)
The World Ends with You, by Orange Fluffy Sheep: One of the best JRPG to come from Square in the last years. The game drops the usual fantasy setting for modern-day Tokio and changes potions into hamburgers, equipment into garish fashion statements and angst into the most :smug: character in the story of videogames. OFS does a great job of showing everything the game has to offer, up to and including the post-game. (Recommended by Fat Samurai)
KotORII by Scorchy - ludicrously in-depth, this was one of the best places to get info on the ridiculous amounts of cut content the game had before the restoration patches. Offers some great analysis of the game and the characters, don't be surprised if you learn something new about the game while reading it. (Recommended by Kaboom Dragoon)
OrenRonen's Dangan Ronpa is an amazing testament to Oren's work and talents. It's also batshit glorious. Who could resist Battle Royale meets Phoenix Wright? (Recommended by Ghostwoods)
OFF by Panzer Skank - Off is an interesting and perplexing abstract RPG. Panzer Skank lets the game speak for itself very well and it has tons of fun fanart. (Recommended by Obscil)

Narrative SSLPs
ShadowCatboy's Planescape: Torment. [An] enormous effort, with 150+ updates over the course of five years. (Recommended by cmndstab)
ddegenha - He does some pretty good SSLPs of JRPGs. He likes to add his own characterization to add a bit of humour, and it really adds to his LPs. It's well done, and feels right at home. For a representative LP, I'd recommend Seiken Densetsu 3, where his added characterization makes even the repeated playthroughs completely worth reading. (Recommended by unpronounceable)
Gazillionaire Deluve by Didja Redo is a funny narrative LP of a space economy sim that doesn't have a narrative. (Recommended by Skwirl)
Icewind Dale 2 by CaptainGarlic is another great narrative LP, both LPs have great characterization of people that don't have any built in characters. (Recommended by Skwirl)
The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing by Chewbot: Chewbot takes a completely freeform game without any kind of backstory and writes a short novel not unlike a summer slash film (but in a good way). Don't expect any gameplay in here, though. (Recommended by Fat Samurai)
Temple of Elemental Evil, by Bobbin Threadbare: The best framing gimmick I've ever seen in a LP, a group of P&P D&D going through the classic adventure. Great writing, the interactions among the players are half the fun. (Recommended by Fat Samurai)

Comedic SSLPs
Nakar's Ultima IV-VI, Martian Dreams, Ultima VII and Ultima VII: Serpent Isle - Nakar plays Ultima the way it was never intended to be played, with every loophole, cheap trick, and underhanded tactic possible exploited by the sociopathic Steve the Avatar, one of the funniest anti-heroes ever conceived of, and her ever-changing gang of long-suffering tag-along companions. Although U4 and U5 are kind of by-the-numbers, the introduction of portraits in U6 and beyond enable Nakar to inject an enormous amount of personality and humour into the LPs, while still showing off everything worth seeing in some of the best open-world RPGs of all time. Also Martian Dreams is awesome all by itself, as Steve travels back in time to team up with Marie Curie and Sigmund Freud to battle Rasputin on a coal-powered, steampunk Mars! (Recommended by cmndstab)
taxidermistpaste's dongs.exe LP is a bit of an infamous classic in the subforum. (Recommended by cmndstab)
X-Com: UFO Defence and Apocalypse by GuavaMoment - well-written, funny as hell, with great thread interaction that manages to avoid coming across as fanfic for the most part. You'll believe a janitor can fly. But not for very long. (Recommended by Kaboom Dragoon)
Picayune's MySims Agents is just utterly charming and lovely in every possible way.

Note: Links to completed LPs in the archive would be appreciated, to make this easier to throw together! Also, a brief summary of the LP's strengths or why it should be watched. ie:
Game Name by Goongoon - This LP was good because etc etc

Geop fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 8, 2014

Quovak
Feb 2, 2009

See, the problem with online communication is that you can't feel my beard through the HTML.
Are you hoping to limit it to LPs done through the forum? If so, where does something like the Darkseed 2 retsuperae fall?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

If Mercs 2 by helloitsdan and lithuanian dad aren't in the new OP then the thread shouldn't be taken seriously.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I don't think we really need to limit it to on-site ones; main reason for linking LPArchive ones in the OP is so that folks without archive access can use it in the future :v:

I figure for folks like Retsupurae, Chip & Ironicus, Orbital Grouse, etc, we might be able to just have a section for popular/older LPers (with websites/channels). He doesn't post much around here anymore, but I was thinking of linking supergreatfrien's channel on Youtube, for example.

Kaubocks posted:

If Mercs 2 by helloitsdan and lithuanian dad aren't in the new OP then the thread shouldn't be taken seriously.
It'll definitely be on there! :v:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Geop posted:

Note: Links to completed LPs in the archive would be appreciated, to make this easier to throw together! Also, a brief summary of the LP's strengths or why it should be watched. ie:

I have a couple that probably won't be listed by other people:

Atmospheric:
Giragast's Cold Fear LP is something I constantly recommend to people as it's not only a really well done subtitled LP, but has a set of Extreme mode videos and the LPer basically takes the game apart to show you the tricks and methods the developers used to make the game do what it does, which is pretty unique.

The Man With a Hat's Dead Space LP is another subtitled LP of a horror game that works incredibly well and done by someone who clearly loves the game and knows it inside and out.

Co-Op

WanderinNewbie's Demon's Souls LP with Taoto sees two people take on a famously difficult game and bend it to their will while taking requests from the thread on weapons and equipment.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Your categories feel very VLP focused. SSLPs could fit into some of those categories like laid-back, but I dunno which one I would use for an ordinary SSLP that's played straight, for example.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Haha, kinda threw that list together and forgot about those groups. I figure they could use maybe two or three categories? Serious & Comedy SSLPs?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kaubocks posted:

E N J O Y T U G B O A T

I'm not really sure which of those categories if any these would fall under (edit: comedy SSLP I suppose), but I feel like Nakar's Ultima IV-VI, Ultima VII and Ultima VII: Serpent Isle should get some sort of mention. If not, just take this like any other post in this thread, because they are Good Reads. v:shobon:v

I like to think Steve lives on in spirit in Divinity: Original Sin

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Geop posted:

Haha, kinda threw that list together and forgot about those groups. I figure they could use maybe two or three categories? Serious & Comedy SSLPs?

Informative, comedic and narrative would probably work.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Geop posted:

Everyone always forgets SSLPs.

Aside from comedy and serious, you might wanna toss in narrative. And as an example of a narrative SSLP that gets recommended every other day, Chewbot's Animal Crossing LP should probably be in the OP.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I guess Dark Id goes in the "popular/older" pile?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah, toying with whether there should be a section, or if their info will just be at the head of the category. In Dark Id's case, we'd just put a link to LPArchive, filtered on him by Author, and put that at the head of the Comedic SSLPs.

Kind of feeling this out for now :v: If folks have a different way to tackle this, let me know!

Good call!
vvv

Geop fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 8, 2014

Quovak
Feb 2, 2009

See, the problem with online communication is that you can't feel my beard through the HTML.
You could recommend popular creators with a more detailed writeup of their "best work". Like, talk about pokecapn in general but specifically Sonic 06, The Dark Id but specifically Nier, C&I but specifically Revengeance, etc. That's probably more helpful to people new to the archive than just linking fifty Dark Id threads and saying "Go nuts"

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not really sure which of those categories if any these would fall under (edit: comedy SSLP I suppose), but I feel like Nakar's Ultima IV-VI, Ultima VII and Ultima VII: Serpent Isle should get some sort of mention. If not, just take this like any other post in this thread, because they are Good Reads. v:shobon:v

Don't forget Martian Dreams! It comes between Ultima VI and Ultima VII and not only is the thread hilarious, but the game itself is really interesting as well.

Edit: ShadowCatboy's Planescape: Torment thread should probably also get a mention in the narrative SSLP section. I must admit, I never finished reading it so I can't vouch as to its quality in its entirety, but what I saw was fantastic and it was an enormous effort, with 150+ updates over the course of five years. And Planescape: Torment itself is awesome.

Finally, I'm not sure if he's still "cool" around here, but taxidermistpaste's dongs.exe LP is still one of the funniest things to come out of the LP forum.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 8, 2014

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
If some of them have websites with their LPs in them, it might just be easier to also link to those sites, like the FA guys or C&I or T40s.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
It's a bit of a niche, but it's always cool when a developer drops by an LP of their game. The only one I can remember offhand is Quovak's LP of The Chzo Mythos, where many of Yahtzee's comments were included in the archive. The games are point and click adventures, and Quovak shows where they work, where they don't, and breaks down why they do or don't. It's critical, but not overwhelmingly so, and Yahtzee's retrospective commentary really complements Quovak's analysis.

For an LPer, I'd like to throw a mention to ddegenha, who does some really good SSLPs of JRPGs. I'll throw a mention to his LP of Seiken Densetsu 3. He really manages to add a lot to the game with his characterizations, and it really says something when the multiple playthroughs are all worth reading, even through the repeated events.

For solo commentary, my two favourite LPs have to be Battlefield 1942 by James315, and Demon's Souls by Squint. Both are incredibly skillful LPs, with insightful and engaging commentary.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Are you planning to further subdivide the categories by genre, like RPG, FPS, etc.? Not sure if there'd be enough recommendations for each category but at least it might be a good reference point for people looking for something specific or for people to find holes in the list to recommend or LP.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Is a new thread really neccessary just due to age? There's 10 years old threads still going strong in other places. Well, one at least. :v:

I guess an updated and summarized OP would be kinda nice. Throw Kaubocks' and PanzerSkank's Saints Row 2 LP in there in the humorous / game breakage category.
Also, Pokemon Blue for the informative / game breakage category, plus it's an SSLP.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

unpronounceable posted:

It's a bit of a niche, but it's always cool when a developer drops by an LP of their game. The only one I can remember offhand is Quovak's LP of The Chzo Mythos, where many of Yahtzee's comments were included in the archive. The games are point and click adventures, and Quovak shows where they work, where they don't, and breaks down why they do or don't. It's critical, but not overwhelmingly so, and Yahtzee's retrospective commentary really complements Quovak's analysis.

The creator of the Blackwell series dropped by cmndstab's LP for a bit and is indirectly participating in the current run of the last game.

Chewbot was involved in developing The Banner Saga and has posted a few times in ProfessorProf's LP.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Is a new thread really neccessary just due to age? There's 10 years old threads still going strong in other places. Well, one at least. :v:
There's been discussion in the past of an OP with a general go-to listing of sorts. I've honestly wanted to do one for a while :v:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I've only just started but Project I.G.I. by gigarast is a very well edited and fun lp of a terrible game.

http://lparchive.org/Project-IGI/

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

FutureFriend posted:

a good lp shunned in favor of a niggurath recommendation, what has this forum come to...

uh, saying bad things about niggurath is against forum rules, you should know better

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I've always had a soft spot for people LPing really awful games. Makes for some pretty funny poo poo. Call of Juarez The Cartel and Petz Horses 2 come to mind immediately.

As far as adding popular LPers to the list Ambisagrus & Woodpal and pokecapn & the posse deserve a mention, but if you don't have DocFuture on there I will be sad.

Kaubocks posted:

Also this, except for literally everything Dan and LDad have ever done.

Also as a side note since someone recommended a taxidermistpasta LP please tell me someone has the Yo Noid videos because they are gone from youtube and I am very upset.

Mico fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 8, 2014

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
If we're doing offsites Kay Plays LP of Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 are both excellent blind run lps

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I need links and better information if you want it on the list, guys :staredog: Kinda like so:

Kinda like Lazyfire did! Sounds a bit pedantic, but if we get lots of recommendations, it'll be easier for me to put the list together this way :v:

I honestly don't wanna put any of my LPs in it. Feels kinda skeevy, y'know? :(
vvv

Geop fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 8, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dark Souls by Geop - This LP was good because dad jokes, puns, and friendship (+ commentators who are generally pretty good, and bounce off each other well)

Don't worry Geop, you don't have to toot your own horn.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Geop posted:

I need links and better information if you want it on the list, guys :staredog: Kinda like so:

Kinda like Lazyfire did! Sounds a bit pedantic, but if we get lots of recommendations, it'll be easier for me to put the list together this way :v:

Lemme fix up my recommendations for you.

SSLPs

The Chzo Mythos by Quovak - The games are point and click adventures, and Quovak shows where they work, where they don't, and breaks down why they do or don't. It's critical, but not overwhelmingly so, and Yahtzee's retrospective commentary really complements Quovak's analysis.

Narrative SSLP
ddegenha - He does some pretty good SSLPs of JRPGs. He likes to add his own characterization to add a bit of humour, and it really adds to his LPs. It's well done, and feels right at home. For a representative LP, I'd recommend Seiken Densetsu 3, where his added characterization makes even the repeated playthroughs completely worth reading.

Solo commentary VLPs
Battlefield 1942 by James315 - He is incredibly skilled at the game, and despite being a strictly multiplayer game, everything is introduced at a reasonable rate, and is always engaging. At the end of each map, he gives a good overview of what went well for each side, and how the outcome of the game could have changed.

Demon's Souls by Squint - Squint is incredibly thorough showing off a ton of what the game has to offer. He points out a lot of plot elements that may otherwise be missed. To complement his playthrough, there are a couple others: one for a new game+ playthrough, and the punchyfist run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
SSLP's

Gazillionaire Deluve by Didja Redo is a funny narrative LP of a space economy sim that doesn't have a narrative.

Icewind Dale 2 by CaptainGarlic is another great narrative LP, both LPs have great characterization of people that don't have any built in characters.

VLPs

Freelance Astronauts play New Super Mario Brothers Wii loving hilarious.

I was trying to find a link to that super chill Sonic play through that's been recommended here a couple times, but I can't remember who made it and Sonic 1 and 2 have a poo poo ton of play throughs on the the archive. Deep voice keeps talking about being chill, playing on easy mode (it's from a weird version of one of the first 2 Sonics).

AssailantLF
Dec 2, 2013
Because there aren't enough blind Dark Souls LPs and these haven't been recommended enough.

Kay Plays Dark Souls Blind - Starts off really slow with basically no editing and she's initially as bad as any newcomer to the Souls series, so you might want to skip the first few episodes. Kay has a very methodical play style, is very observant of her surroundings, and even takes notes to keep track of all the lore and sprawling paths in the game. It's fantastic and entertaining to see her grow as a player and tackle all of the various challenges this game has throughout. It feels like a very complete LP and almost like how the developers intended the game to be played, as she's even able to piece together all of the lore on her own, unlike most first timers.

Kay Plays Dark Souls II Blind - Kay is more of an experienced player at this point and the editing is quite good from beginning this time around. I mostly would recommend this to people who already watched/enjoyed her original LP, and would like to see more Souls or just more Kay.

Deadly Premonition by supergreatfriend - A few years dated now, but a must see for anyone who even remotely enjoys video let's play. DP (haha) is the kind of game that's significantly more fun to watch than it is to play. It has a pretty interesting plot, setting, and characters, but the game play is pretty sub par. SGF has a passion for this game and has probably played it more than anyone on this planet should or will. He shows it off in such a way that it can present itself clearly, and in an even cinematic way. This might be a little hyperbolic, but there's not many LPs as special as this one that convey the essence of the game so well through the whole thing. I'm envious of you if you haven't discovered this gem.

I'm not sure on the rules/specifics for how old an LP can be to be recommended or put in the new OP, but I feel these are all very solid LPs that nearly anyone could get into.

AssailantLF fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 8, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Can there be an "Unpopular LPers" section for us underdogs out there? Just sayin'.

But also, a new Recommended LP thread would be nice. Not all LPs are forever archived and links fizzle and die, so to start from scratch could help--all the old classics can still be recommended, we can just ensure that updated links are used.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
SSLP (narrative)

Avalon Code by Didja Redo: A game with a great premise, where the main character has to record the world in a book so it can be restored after the Apocalipse. The game fails to deliver on every front, but Dija basically rewrites the story from the ground up. Funny, intelligent and sometimes touching. As good as Gazillonaire.

The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing by Chewbot: Chewbot takes a completely freeform game without any kind of backstory and writes a short novel not unlike a summer slash film (but in a good way). Don't expect any gameplay in here, though.

Temple of Elemental Evil, by Bobbin Threadbare: The best framing gimmick I've ever seen in a LP, a group of P&P D&D going through the classic adventure. Great writing, the interactions among the players are half the fun.

SSLP (breaking the game over my knee)

The World Ends with You, by Orange Fluffy Sheep: One of the best JRPG to come from Square in the last years. The game drops the usual fantasy setting for modern-day Tokio and changes potions into hamburgers, equipment into garish fashion statements and angst into the most :smug: character in the story of videogames. OFS does a great job of showing everything the game has to offer, up to and including the post-game.

Video (low-key)

The Void, by Cannibal K9: The Russian-est game that you'll ever see. You play as a disembodied soul wandering around in a barren dreamlike landscape, and CannibalK9's commentary is relaxing and low key, very appopriate to the slow pace of the game.

More incoming.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Advergames, Ride to Hell: Retribution, and MindJack by the Men Drinking Coffee are all great. Some very funny guys make some very awful games into a laugh riot.

Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 by Cake Attack is a good read. You can see him tear apart a game that really hates you.

Tales of the Abyss by Sydin is also a great one if you like anime JRPGs.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

X-Com: UFO Defence and Apocalypse by GuavaMoment - well-written, funny as hell, with great thread interaction that manages to avoid coming across as fanfic for the most part. You'll believe a janitor can fly. But not for very long.

Resident Evil 5 by RChimp Cola and Sinatrapod - I cannot recommend this highly enough, easily the funniest LP on the archive. I rewatch it every so often to remind myself of the Legend of Spaghetti.

KotORII by Scorchy - ludicrously in-depth, this was one of the best places to get info on the ridiculous amounts of cut content the game had before the restoration patches. Offers some great analysis of the game and the characters, don't be surprised if you learn something new about the game while reading it.

Silent Hill: Homecoming by Kamoc - one of the most technically clever LP's I've ever seen, Kamoc uses Youtube annotations to offer a Choose Your Own Adventure-style way of showing off the game's dialogue and decisions. It's simple, but it works extremely well and manages to set up some great gags, as a bonus.

I'd also recommend The Man With A Hat's Arkham Asylum LP, but for some reason, it was never archived. Worth checking out at any rate.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

AssailantLF posted:

Because there aren't enough blind Dark Souls LPs and these haven't been recommended enough.

Kay Plays Dark Souls Blind

Seconding both Kay LP's. They're a great companion LP to Geop's DaS1 LP. It's an enjoyable run that starts a bit awkwardly but once she get's on the right track she does amazingly well. It's also a good showcase of someone learning how to produce an LP. It takes her far longer but she eventually starts editing instead of having a warts and all approach and some time in DaS2 starts doing off screen work to keep the LP flowing smoothly.

As for the new OP. I love all the categories other than Popular LPers which feels kind of pointless. Both duos are absolutely superb but something about that category feels like putting them (quite deservedly) on a pedestal and while I know in practice it doesn't work this way LPs should be about the art music games primarily, not the players. Find some choice LPs by them and put them in the other categories.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
SuperGreatFriend's Deadly Premonition is a friendly, laid-back, informative tour through a flawed but narratively brilliant game, and I can't recommend it highly enough. EDIT: Doh

Picayune's MySims Agents is just utterly charming and lovely in every possible way.

OrenRonen's Dangan Ronpa is an amazing testament to Oren's work and talents. It's also batshit glorious. Who could resist Battle Royale meets Phoenix Wright?

The other stuff I wanted to recommend is already listed :)

Ghostwoods fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Popo posted:

As for the new OP. I love all the categories other than Popular LPers which feels kind of pointless. Both duos are absolutely superb but something about that category feels like putting them (quite deservedly) on a pedestal and while I know in practice it doesn't work this way LPs should be about the art music games primarily, not the players. Find some choice LPs by them and put them in the other categories.
Yeah, after percolating on it a bit, I agree. Was going to add more, but it'd get kind of subjective past a point.

• Locked thread