Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Please make sure to include

Disaster: Day of Crisis
Two Worlds
High School Dreams: Best Friends Forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Two very good informative video LPs that come to mind are Bacter's Laura Bow: The Colonel's Bequest and Qotile Swirl's Alone in the Dark.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
For informative SSLPs, my favorite is the LP of OFF by Panzer Skank. Panzer Skank lets the game speak for itself very well and it has tons of fun fanart.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Would it be against the rules to suggest megathreads for that list which one has participated in?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I think there should be a category for LPs that play with the LP format itself and go beyond it. Like Unconventional LPs or Meta-LPs, but those are really lame names and I can't think of a better one. In particular, I think we shouldn't forget about docfuture's LPs of Sonic 2: Special Edition and Super Tempo/Tryrush Deppy. They are some of the most memorable VLPs to ever come out of this sub forum, thoroughly enjoyable and weird at the same time.

Quovak's Chrono Trigger would also qualify for this category. It is an extremely long-winded SSLP that's part Level-1 play through, part discussion of game design, part discussion of any and all subject matter, and it's very well-written.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

frozentreasure posted:

Would it be against the rules to suggest megathreads for that list which one has participated in?
No, not at all! Feel free to chime in.

I know that the Advergames and Girl Games megathreads should be on there, but I'd rather not write more recommendations at this point :v: Don't want it to seem too biased!

I've added most of the stuff that's been recommended (if it's not on there, please re-post it in the same general format I'm using, along with the category). For each category, to keep bloat down, I'm thinking around five or six entries apiece? We'll add on to it in the future if some particularly amazing thread shuffle through, or folks feel some should be added :v:

At this point, I think we've mostly got SSLPs covered well enough. I think most of the things under comedic could do with more explanation, however.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2725735&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=135#post431883966

I'll make the format more consistent once we've got the list all wrapped up.

Geop fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 8, 2014

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

FutureFriend posted:

a good lp shunned in favor of a niggurath recommendation, what has this forum come to...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Travv0 posted:

uh, saying bad things about niggurath is against forum rules, you should know better

Thank god we've got some thick skinned mods around here.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Probation for a whole day?! Sweet mother of god I've gone mad with power.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
OatmealRaisin's Let's Play of Spec Ops: The Line is an exemplary case of how and why an LP should be done. The game itself is a generic effort in an over-done genre that many people are sick of or never liked in the first place, but it has a lot of profound, thought-provoking, and utterly devastating things to say to its players. OatmealRaisin's commentary is expertly paced and carefully toned to present the game's unanswerable questions in such a way that the viewer can't help but ruminate on them as they were meant to, and it honestly helps to have a guiding voice in some of the darker moments. Spec Ops: The Line is practically a required experience, and this Let's Play might be the best way to go about that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yo, Geop, this should go with multiple commentators:

Lazyfire's Battlefield 4 is a good LP. Battlefield 4 is, uh, arguably not. In true Battlefield fashion, the multiplayer is where the game shines--and yet for whatever reason they continue to include superfluous and terrible single-player campaigns. Lazyfire, along with a slew of LPers from the Let's Play subforum (and the internet at large), show just how far up the river this uniquely terrible campaign experience goes. Thankfully, an extensive series of multiplayer videos are there to remind the player why the game is still worth playing, as well some incredible griefing videos of which notable griefers make appearances to co-commentate on their handiwork.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Geop posted:

No, not at all! Feel free to chime in.

I know that the Advergames and Girl Games megathreads should be on there, but I'd rather not write more recommendations at this point :v: Don't want it to seem too biased!

I've added most of the stuff that's been recommended (if it's not on there, please re-post it in the same general format I'm using, along with the category). For each category, to keep bloat down, I'm thinking around five or six entries apiece? We'll add on to it in the future if some particularly amazing thread shuffle through, or folks feel some should be added :v:

At this point, I think we've mostly got SSLPs covered well enough. I think most of the things under comedic could do with more explanation, however.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2725735&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=135#post431883966

I'll make the format more consistent once we've got the list all wrapped up.

Whenever it ends up in archives, Nyaa's Dekiru Otoko no Mote Life http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537033 needs to be on the SS list. Someone smarter than me should probably come up with a blurb, but it is one of the funniest LPs I've ever read, and the work Nyaa put into translating it, not to mention creating the final route himself, deserves recognition.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
I'm not a big fan of Niggurath's LPs either.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

gatz posted:

Doesn't link to Goatse, 1/10.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I'll give a blurb about Nakar's Ultima LPs, since they look a bit bare with just the links.

Nakar plays Ultima the way it was never intended to be played, with every loophole, cheap trick, and underhanded tactic possible exploited by the sociopathic Steve the Avatar, one of the funniest anti-heroes ever conceived of, and her ever-changing gang of long-suffering tag-along companions. Although U4 and U5 are kind of by-the-numbers, the introduction of portraits in U6 and beyond enable Nakar to inject an enormous amount of personality and humour into the LPs, while still showing off everything worth seeing in some of the best open-world RPGs of all time. Also Martian Dreams is awesome all by itself, as Steve travels back in time to team up with Marie Curie and Sigmund Freud to battle Rasputin on a coal-powered, steampunk Mars!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

gatz posted:

Wonderful, I'm glad you have an opinion. That doesn't warrant popping in to poo poo on recommendations just because it's one of his LPs. This isn't about it being Niggurath; it would've been the same for anyone else. Back on-topic.

Geop fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 8, 2014

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Geop Could you please add "Off is an interesting and perplexing abstract RPG," to the beginning of my recommendation for it. I just realized that I forgot to even mention what the game is like at all for the recommendation. Oops.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?

FutureFriend posted:

a good lp shunned in favor of a niggurath recommendation, what has this forum come to...

For a guy called "FutureFriend" he sure ain't friendly. Is this the rat's revenge?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

TheJayOfSpade posted:

For a guy called "FutureFriend" he sure ain't friendly. Is this the rat's revenge?
He's not called PresentFriend.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Chaos Legion by Edo Animus - Chaos Legion is a moderately obscure PS2 action game made by Capcom. The game got a middling reception, mostly from reviewers who were trying to play it as a Devil May Cry-clone and failing. Edo Animus shows off how to play the game properly and then some. He and his co-commentator are also highly knowledgeable about the legends and mythologies that the characters in the game are based on.

Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak by Yapping Eevee - A feel-good LP if ever there was one. The game is an incredibly cute adventure game about hamster friendship. Yapping Eevee is also in rare form throughout the entire LP, adding great flashes of humour and good jokes into the mix. This whole LP is just :3: personified.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Forgall posted:

He's not called PresentFriend.

Well yeah, where's the alliteration? You've got a FutureFriend, a PresentPal, and a... PastPlaymate? I dunno how we'd finish out the Ghosts of LP. There's probably a better P word for that.

For content: High School Dreams: Best Friends Forever by Dyslexiactic and best friend Proxx Choxx is a fantastic LP of an obscure game. Two dudes blindly stumble through a mediocre, poorly-implemented, and seemingly half-finished high school life simulator and have a good time pointing out all of the mistakes the game can make with no rudeness or anger. The amount of effort Dys put in to showing off this game, even getting to 100% completion (with all of the inconsistencies it causes between the characters) and putting way more work into production than this game really deserves. It's a good time for all.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I heartily recommend eating only apples' LP of The Sims 3! Her commentary is funny and witty and never devolves into the "here is another picture of a sim pulling a silly face" commentary that tends to happen with Sims LPs. As an added bonus its also the very first Sims LP on the forum to actually be completed so I think she deserves to be on this list for that feat alone.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Yes, absolutely.

Disaster: Day of Crisis (LP by Coulis and friends) is a Wii game only released in Japan and Europe that tries to tell a completely serious story about a city suffering from natural disasters, and fails miserably at it on account of having absurd gameplay mechanics and antagonists. Sadly, the LP was never finished, but the thirteen existing episodes are some of the funniest stuff you can find on these forums.

I'll have to think about a good way to describe Two Worlds in a few sentences...

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yes, absolutely.

Disaster: Day of Crisis (LP by Coulis and friends) is a Wii game only released in Japan and Europe that tries to tell a completely serious story about a city suffering from natural disasters, and fails miserably at it on account of having absurd gameplay mechanics and antagonists. Sadly, the LP was never finished, but the thirteen existing episodes are some of the funniest stuff you can find on these forums.

I'll have to think about a good way to describe Two Worlds in a few sentences...

Two Worlds is a medieval Red Green simulator but you use helmets and swords instead of tires and cars, and instead of annoying nephews you have Ray Harryhausen lava dragons

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

I would like to put in my recommendation for Amulets and Armor played by Mzbundifund and Bacter. It's a first person action RPG in an engine not dissimilar to Doom's. There is a great dynamic between Mzbundifund who has in-depth knowledge of the game and Bacter who has never played it before. The LP came to the notice of one of the original developers who had interesting insights and went on to release a Windows compatible version.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Dead to Rights by Slowbeef and Diabetus - Join 'Beef and 'Betus as super cop Jack Slate is framed for murder, meets his bff Wireboy, unravels the mysterious past of Longshoreman X and fights a middle eastern Prince who breathes fire. Maybe the dumbest game ever made ridiculed in that retsupurae fashion we all love.

Devil May Cry 3 by AccountingNightmare - Devil May Cry 3 is a hard game. AccountingNightmare provides a skilled playthrough of both of its highest difficulties while providing informative commentary and she does it all live.

Illbleed by supergreatfriend - Discover this lost "survival horror" gem, a game that can't be explained, a game you could never be prepared for, just grab your sexy dawl and enjoy.

Jurassic Park: Trespasser by Research Indicates - The first video lp to ever reach the goldmine; Research Indicates explores Jurrasic Park as a set of animated breasts while grappling with Dinosaurs and solving terrible physics puzzles.

Left 4 Dead by Baldurk / cKnoor / ethansteele / Blister - Four besties do their best to survive the zombie apocalypse in classic co-op fashion (which is to say loving each other over). Features playthroughs of the main campaign, mod campaigns, and multiplayer videos.

Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures by pokecapn / kungfujesus / medibot / mynameiskaz - Watch the best Zelda game you never played with the most absurd recording setup in subforum history, to quote the OP: "4 GameCubes, 4 GBA Players, 4 GCN-GBA cables, a Wii to plug them all into, 4 SD capture cards, 1 HD-PVR, and 2 computers."

Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage by Just A Friend and Sinatrapod - As an early 3D game Spyro 2 has a poor understanding of level barriers, JaF uses this to show just how broken a game it really is.

Super Meat Boy by Psychedelic Eyeball and wugga - Watch Psych show off the main game and the very best of it's user created levels; watch wugga beat the entire game without dying once. It's the game that pissed you off played by people who are good at it.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
For a subtitled LP, Olive Branch recently did The Last Express. It's a murder-mystery-on-a-train sort of game and there are multiple paths and endings, most of them bad, and he goes out of his way to show off every one of them. He even went the extra mile and got every foreign language translated into English for your benefit, including French and Arabic. The guy really loved the game and the effort he went through to present it really showed.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Hey Geop, I know modesty forbids and all that, but you really should add your Dark Souls LP to the list. It's one of the best LPs I've ever watched, and you're doing future LP-seekers a disservice if you leave it off!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
SSLP

Roommates by Sketchie - They've done a wonderful job on something that's a pretty hard sell: an SSLP of a dating sim visual novel by Winter Wolves. However, the game itself is actually pretty funny and endearing most of the time, and Sketchie's handling the goofier parts of it with good humour. There's multiple story paths that are being explored without rehashing old material, including a pair of LGBT romance options too.

Multiple Commentators

Final Fantasy XIII by Artix and Fedule - A (mostly) informative VLP of FFXIII featuring a slew of guest commentators that's equal parts silly and serious and trying to explore the game in depth as opposed to just taking the piss out of it like PorkLift and waytead's LP of it--which is also amazing, by the way. Artix and Fedule are putting a shitton of effort into it, to the point of almost making slogging through XIII bearable.

Solo Commentary / Video
Xenoblade Chronicles by Lethemonster - A nice VLP of a truly great JRPG. She's being very thorough with the game, which has a lot of extra content to it in and of itself. The only hiccup is that she's prone to long stretches of inactivity due to health issues and other concerns, but she's doing a wonderful job with it regardless.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 8, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

nine-gear crow posted:

Final Fantasy XIII by Artix and Fedule - A (mostly) informative VLP of FFXIII featuring a slew of guest commentators that's equal parts silly and serious and trying to explore the game in depth as opposed to just taking the piss out of it like PorkLift and waytead's LP of it--which is also amazing, by the way. Artix and Fedule are putting a shitton of effort into it, to the point of almost making slogging through XIII bearable.

While I appreciate the shout-out, you probably want this link, rather than whatever the hell you have in the post right now.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Paper Lion posted:

Two Worlds is a medieval Red Green simulator but you use helmets and swords instead of tires and cars, and instead of annoying nephews you have Ray Harryhausen lava dragons
I have no idea what you are getting at because I didn't click your links, but how about "Two Worlds is a game in which nothing works as intended, but somehow manages to be ridiculously fun to behold"?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

While I appreciate the shout-out, you probably want this link, rather than whatever the hell you have in the post right now.

Whoops. My phone cut off the threadID number. :doh:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ghostwoods posted:

Hey Geop, I know modesty forbids and all that, but you really should add your Dark Souls LP to the list. It's one of the best LPs I've ever watched, and you're doing future LP-seekers a disservice if you leave it off!

Yeah, man. None of this false modesty bullpoopy. You should totes add in the Dark Souls LP cause it was awesome. If it makes you feel better, just leave your name off it and say Vicas did it. Like this:

Shadows of the Empire by nine-gear crow is the best LP because it's a video game starring Dash Rendar, hero of the Rebellion. Watch Dash dash his way through comics, books, and games rendaring the Imperial Forces obsolete.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

H'okay! I took most of the suggestions (note: not all) and have a decent list so far. I just need a few more finished/archived LPs and we're set. Particularly under Subtitled, Laid Back, Atmospheric, & Grab-Bags/Megathreads. This looks cluttered right now, but I'll shape it up a bit before posting the new thread:

Solo Commentary
  • Deadly Premonition by supergreatfriend - A few years dated now, but a must see for anyone who even remotely enjoys video let's play. DP (haha) is the kind of game that's significantly more fun to watch than it is to play. It has a pretty interesting plot, setting, and characters, but the game play is pretty sub par. SGF has a passion for this game and has probably played it more than anyone on this planet should or will. He shows it off in such a way that it can present itself clearly, and in an even cinematic way. This might be a little hyperbolic, but there's not many LPs as special as this one that convey the essence of the game so well through the whole thing. I'm envious of you if you haven't discovered this gem. (Recommended by AssailantLF)
  • Jurassic Park: Trespasser by Research Indicates - The first video lp to ever reach the goldmine; Research Indicates explores Jurrasic Park as a set of animated breasts while grappling with Dinosaurs and solving terrible physics puzzles. (Recommended by Ursus Veritas)
  • Battlefield 1942 by James315 - He is incredibly skilled at the game, and despite being a strictly multiplayer game, everything is introduced at a reasonable rate, and is always engaging. At the end of each map, he gives a good overview of what went well for each side, and how the outcome of the game could have changed. (Recommended by unpronounceable)
  • Demon's Souls by Squint - Squint is incredibly thorough showing off a ton of what the game has to offer. He points out a lot of plot elements that may otherwise be missed. To complement his playthrough, there are a couple others: one for a new game+ playthrough, and the punchyfist run. (Recommended by unpronounceable)
  • Spec Ops: The Line by OatmealRaisin - An exemplary case of how and why an LP should be done. The game itself is a generic effort in an over-done genre that many people are sick of or never liked in the first place, but it has a lot of profound, thought-provoking, and utterly devastating things to say to its players. OatmealRaisin's commentary is expertly paced and carefully toned to present the game's unanswerable questions in such a way that the viewer can't help but ruminate on them as they were meant to, and it honestly helps to have a guiding voice in some of the darker moments. Spec Ops: The Line is practically a required experience, and this Let's Play might be the best way to go about that. (Recommended by Fiendly)
  • Devil May Cry 3 by AccountingNightmare - Devil May Cry 3 is a hard game. AccountingNightmare provides a skilled playthrough of both of its highest difficulties while providing informative commentary and she does it all live.
  • Hopkins FBI by davidspackage - Special Agent Hopkins, is faced with a reality that most of us would not be able to reckon with. Yet instead of succumbing to insanity or existential dread, he celebrates the human condition with cheerful optimism. Hopkins doesn't question his purpose in an uncaring and hostile universe because he has already reaffirmed his purpose; to make you laugh. (Recommended by Kuvo)
  • Dark Souls by Kay - Starts off really slow with basically no editing and she's initially as bad as any newcomer to the Souls series, so you might want to skip the first few episodes. Kay has a very methodical play style, is very observant of her surroundings, and even takes notes to keep track of all the lore and sprawling paths in the game. It's fantastic and entertaining to see her grow as a player and tackle all of the various challenges this game has throughout. It feels like a very complete LP and almost like how the developers intended the game to be played, as she's even able to piece together all of the lore on her own, unlike most first timers. (Recommended by AssailantLF)

Multiple Commentators
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance by Chip Cheezum & General Ironicus - Hands-down the most informative LP you're likely to find for this game. Chip goes through the mechanics of how to properly play, how to do well, and also shows off a perfect-ranked playthrough on a relatively hard difficulty. If you like action, amazing music, more action, and memes born of song lyrics, this is an absolute must-see. (Recommended by Geop)
  • Dead to Rights by Slowbeef & Diabetus - Join 'Beef and 'Betus as super cop Jack Slate is framed for murder, meets his bff Wireboy, unravels the mysterious past of Longshoreman X and fights a middle eastern Prince who breathes fire. Maybe the dumbest game ever made ridiculed in that Retsupurae fashion we all love. (Recommended by Ursus Veritas)
  • Bayonetta by Yoshesque & Hans - In the same line as Revengeance and DMC, this is an incredibly skilled 100% playthrough of Bayonetta. This is a multiple year labor of love by Yoshesque and a must-see as far as skilled LPs go. (Recommended by Geop)
  • Daikatana by Proteus4994 & Suspicious - The most over-hyped game of the decade gets more than it deserves when Proteus and Suspicious make John Romero their bitch. (Recommended by Bobbin Threadbare)
  • Chaos Legion by Edo Animus - Chaos Legion is a moderately obscure PS2 action game made by Capcom. The game got a middling reception, mostly from reviewers who were trying to play it as a Devil May Cry-clone and failing. Edo Animus shows off how to play the game properly and then some. He and his co-commentator are also highly knowledgeable about the legends and mythologies that the characters in the game are based on. (Recommended by JordanKai)
  • High School Dreams: Best Friends Forever by Dyslexiactic & Proxx Choxx - A fantastic LP of an obscure game. Two dudes blindly stumble through a mediocre, poorly-implemented, and seemingly half-finished high school life simulator and have a good time pointing out all of the mistakes the game can make with no rudeness or anger. The amount of effort Dys put in to showing off this game, even getting to 100% completion (with all of the inconsistencies it causes between the characters) and putting way more work into production than this game really deserves. It's a good time for all. (Recommended by ChorpSaway)

Co-Op
  • New Super Mario Bros Wii by The Freelance Astronauts - Some games are about banding together and using teamwork to overcome adversity -- this is not one of them. A hilarious LP where the biggest threat doesn't come from the enemies along the way, but from man itself. Enjoy watching suffering and four-player co-op dickery? This is it. (Recommended by Geop)
  • Mercenaries 2 by helloitsdan & lithuanian dad - A wonderfully amazing co-op romp through South America! Probably one of the first things that someone new to the subforum should watch! (Recommended by Geop)
  • Saints Row 2 by Kaubocks & Panzer Skank - Between Idol Ninja's mods and the general antics Kaubocks & Panzer get in to, calling this LP "funny" is an understatement. Definitely one of the best things I've seen around here. (Recommended by Geop)
  • Demon's Souls by WanderinNewbie & Taoto - Two people take on a famously difficult game and bend it to their will while taking requests from the thread on weapons and equipment. (Recommended by Lazyfire)
  • Resident Evil 5 by RChimp Cola and Sinatrapod - I cannot recommend this highly enough, easily the funniest LP on the archive. I rewatch it every so often to remind myself of the Legend of Spaghetti. (Recommended by Kaboom Dragoon)
  • Amulets and Armor by Mzbundifund & Bacter - It's a first person action RPG in an engine not dissimilar to Doom's. There is a great dynamic between Mzbundifund who has in-depth knowledge of the game and Bacter who has never played it before. The LP came to the notice of one of the original developers who had interesting insights and went on to release a Windows compatible version. (Recommended by Ptarmigans)
  • Left 4 Dead by Baldurk / cKnoor / ethansteele / Blister - Four besties do their best to survive the zombie apocalypse in classic co-op fashion (which is to say loving each other over). Features playthroughs of the main campaign, mod campaigns, and multiplayer videos. (Recommended by Ursus Veritas)
  • Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures by pokecapn / kungfujesus / medibot / My Name Is Kaz - Watch the best Zelda game you never played with the most absurd recording setup in subforum history, to quote the OP: "4 GameCubes, 4 GBA Players, 4 GCN-GBA cables, a Wii to plug them all into, 4 SD capture cards, 1 HD-PVR, and 2 computers." (Recommended by Ursus Veritas)

Subtitled
  • Silent Hill: Homecoming by Kamoc - one of the most technically clever LP's I've ever seen, Kamoc uses Youtube annotations to offer a Choose Your Own Adventure-style way of showing off the game's dialogue and decisions. It's simple, but it works extremely well and manages to set up some great gags, as a bonus. (Recommended by Kaboom Dragoon)
  • Silent Hill by VoidBurger - Much like Kamoc, VoidBurger goes through the game showing it off in good detail, as well as explaining little easter eggs/references wherever they lie. If you enjoyed the Homecoming LP, this is definitely right up your alley, and vice versa! (Recommended by Geop)
  • The Last Express by Olive Branch - It's a murder-mystery-on-a-train sort of game and there are multiple paths and endings, most of them bad, and he goes out of his way to show off every one of them. He even went the extra mile and got every foreign language translated into English for your benefit, including French and Arabic. The guy really loved the game and the effort he went through to present it really showed. (Recommended by Maple Leaf)
  • Final Fantasy XII IZJS by BrainWeasel - An incredibly informative subtitled VLP of, in my opinion, an under-rated game with a very unique presentation. (Recommended by Ilyich)

Laid Back
  • The Voidby Cannibal K9 - The Russian-est game that you'll ever see. You play as a disembodied soul wandering around in a barren dreamlike landscape, and CannibalK9's commentary is relaxing and low key, very appopriate to the slow pace of the game. (Recommended by Fat Samurai)
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn by medibot & My Name Is Kaz - As much as I hate using the word, this is one of the most chill LPs you'll find around there here parts. Medibot and Kaz play through the game in co-op mode and just have such a darned relaxing, fun time with it all. (Recommended by Geop)
  • The Thief Trilogy by Bobbin Threadbare - A sneaky, quiet 100% playthrough of all three Thief games (Recommended by Brainamp)
  • Kirby's Dream Course by Psymonkey - chill, pleasant commentary while still showing great skill at a unique and interesting game. (Recommended by Civil Twilight)

Atmospheric
  • Cold Fear by Giragast - Something I constantly recommend to people as it's not only a really well done subtitled LP, but has a set of Extreme mode videos and the LPer basically takes the game apart to show you the tricks and methods the developers used to make the game do what it does, which is pretty unique. (Recommended by Lazyfire)
  • Dead Space by The Man With a Hat - Another subtitled LP of a horror game that works incredibly well and done by someone who clearly loves the game and knows it inside and out. (Recommended by Lazyfire)

Grab-Bags/Megathreads/Miscellaneous
  • Advergames by The Men Drinkin' Coffee - In which the Men Drinkin' Coffee play and riff on numerous titles intended to shill out some cheap advertisement under the guise of being subpar games. Some are halfway decent! Many aren't! (Recommended by Geop)
  • The Girl Games Megathread by DeviousVacuum - Girl games are horrible. Absolutely terrible. Watch as Devac plays through dozens of horrendous bright pink, glittery flash games including how to date the cutest boy and blasting growths in your nose. I'm serious. (Recommended by Geop)
  • Let's Play Dungeons & Dragons - Archived on Zorak's site, there are also a number of threads rolling around involving most of the same folks! Want to learn more about D&D or just eavesdrop on various misadventures? Look no further! (Recommended by Geop)

Informative SSLPs
  • The Chzo Mythos by Quovak - The games are point and click adventures, and Quovak shows where they work, where they don't, and breaks down why they do or don't. It's critical, but not overwhelmingly so, and Yahtzee's retrospective commentary really complements Quovak's analysis. (Recommended by unpronounceable)
  • The World Ends with You by Orange Fluffy Sheep - One of the best JRPG to come from Square in the last years. The game drops the usual fantasy setting for modern-day Tokyo and changes potions into hamburgers, equipment into garish fashion statements and angst into the most :smug: character in the story of videogames. OFS does a great job of showing everything the game has to offer, up to and including the post-game. (Recommended by Fat Samurai)
  • KotORII by Scorchy - ludicrously in-depth, this was one of the best places to get info on the ridiculous amounts of cut content the game had before the restoration patches. Offers some great analysis of the game and the characters, don't be surprised if you learn something new about the game while reading it. (Recommended by Kaboom Dragoon)
  • Dangan Ronpa by orenronen - An amazing testament to Oren's work and talents. It's also batshit glorious. Who could resist Battle Royale meets Phoenix Wright? (Recommended by Ghostwoods)
  • OFF by Panzer Skank - OFF is an interesting and perplexing abstract RPG. Panzer Skank lets the game speak for itself very well and it has tons of fun fanart. (Recommended by Obscil)

Narrative SSLPs
  • Planescape: Torment by ShadowCatboy - An enormous effort, with 150+ updates over the course of five years. (Recommended by cmndstab)
  • Seiken Densetsu 3 by ddegenha - Covers multiple playthroughs of the game where ddegenha's added characterization makes even the repetitive parts completely worth reading. (Recommended by unpronounceable)
  • Gazillionaire Deluxe by Didja Redo - A funny narrative LP of a space economy sim that doesn't have a narrative. (Recommended by Skwirl)
  • Icewind Dale 2 by CaptainGarlic - Another great narrative LP, both LPs have great characterization of people that don't have any built in characters. (Recommended by Skwirl)
  • The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing by Chewbot - Chewbot takes a completely freeform game without any kind of backstory and writes a short novel not unlike a summer slash film (but in a good way). Don't expect any gameplay in here, though. (Recommended by Fat Samurai)

Comedic SSLPs
  • Dirge of Cerbeus: Final Fantasy VII by TheDarkId - The Final Fantasy series hits its stupidest, and TheDarkId hits it right back, taking the piss out what has to be the worst video game Square has ever produced in a hilarious semi-narrative SSLP. I'm already loving this poo poo. (Recommended by nine-gear crow)
  • Ultima IV-VI (and onward) all by Nakar - Nakar plays Ultima the way it was never intended to be played, with every loophole, cheap trick, and underhanded tactic possible exploited by the sociopathic Steve the Avatar, one of the funniest anti-heroes ever conceived of, and her ever-changing gang of long-suffering tag-along companions. Although U4 and U5 are kind of by-the-numbers, the introduction of portraits in U6 and beyond enable Nakar to inject an enormous amount of personality and humour into the LPs, while still showing off everything worth seeing in some of the best open-world RPGs of all time. Also Martian Dreams is awesome all by itself, as Steve travels back in time to team up with Marie Curie and Sigmund Freud to battle Rasputin on a coal-powered, steampunk Mars! (Recommended by cmndstab)
  • X-Com: UFO Defence and Apocalypse by GuavaMoment - Well-written, funny as hell, with great thread interaction that manages to avoid coming across as fanfic for the most part. You'll believe a janitor can fly. But not for very long. (Recommended by Kaboom Dragoon)
  • MySims Agents by Picayune - Just utterly charming and lovely in every possible way. (Recommended by Ghostwoods)

Geop fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 9, 2014

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I dont see Hopkins FBI by davidspackage anywhere on that list and that makes me sad.

I have to go.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Also, I think maybe including one of TheDarkId's LPs would top off the SSLP section. I'm kinda done writing recommendations :staredog:

Edit: Was just thinking about that :allears: Could someone write up a few sentences on Hopkins FBI to finish off the solo-section? I still have yet to finish it :(

Geop fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 8, 2014

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The Binding of Isaac by Xaiter - A very informative look at a Zelda-esque dungeon crawler with rogue-like elements and an "interesting" style. Culminates in a systematic destruction and explanation of several cryptic elements of the game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Geop posted:

Also, I think maybe including one of TheDarkId's LPs would top off the SSLP section. I'm kinda done writing recommendations :staredog:

Edit: Was just thinking about that :allears:

Done.

Dirge of Cerbeus: Final Fantasy VII by TheDarkId - The Final Fantasy series hits its stupidest, and TheDarkId hits it right back, taking the piss out what has to be the worst video game Square has ever produced in a hilarious semi-narrative SSLP. I'm already loving this poo poo.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Cyphoderus posted:

In particular, I think we shouldn't forget about docfuture's LPs of Sonic 2: Special Edition

This game changed the way I see the world, however I am terrified of re-watching it lest my idyllic galvanization wears off (hearing The Supremes on Sky Chase Zone).

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Geop posted:

Edit: Was just thinking about that :allears: Could someone write up a few sentences on that to top off the solo-section? I still have yet to finish it :(

davidspackage
Hopkins FBI, Jul 2011
Video on Veoh and Blip
8 Ep

Philosopher Albert Camus once said "Happiness and the absurd
are two sons of the same earth. They are inseparable." Hopkins
FBI
is a celebration of the absurd. The subject of the piece,
Special Agent Hopkins, is faced with a reality that most of us would
not be able to reckon with. Yet instead of succumbing to insanity or
existential dread, he celebrates the human condition with cheerful
optimism. Hopikins doesn't question his purpose in an uncaring and
hostile universe because he has already reaffirmed his purpose; to
make you laugh.

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Final Fantasy XII IZJS by BrainWeasel is one the best LP's I've ever seen. It's an incredibly informative subtitled VLP of, in my opinion, an under-rated game with a very unique presentation.

• Locked thread