Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I want to point out that my Battlefield 4 LP isn't in the archives yet, it's still in process, actually, so that may have to get updated in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It seems improper not to mention our former host.

Daikatana by Proteus4994 and Suspicious - The most over-hyped game of the decade gets more than it deserves when Proteus and Suspicious make John Romero their bitch.

And since it popped up in the recommendations,

GOD HAND by Kung Fu Jesus and friends - Back when Platinum was Clover, they made the most awesome fighting/action game you never played.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Bobbin Threadbare's lp of the 3 Thief games should go under Atmospheric. The commentary is laid back and the games are classics. This is also one of those games we had under the Insomnia list.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

nine-gear crow posted:

Done.

Dirge of Cerbeus: Final Fantasy VII by TheDarkId - The Final Fantasy series hits its stupidest, and TheDarkId hits it right back, taking the piss out what has to be the worst video game Square has ever produced in a hilarious semi-narrative SSLP. I'm already loving this poo poo.

I'd be torn between recommending DoC, because it is a great LP of a stupid game, or NIER, because it is a great LP of a great game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think the games I mentioned earlier and elaborated upon by Curtiss / Paper Lion could go into laid back, at least in spirit.

Anyway, a good (and underappreciated) example of an atmospheric LP could be

Alice: Madness Returns. JustAFriend and Sinatrapod guide us through a completionist run of a game that is notorious for having way more style than substance. Thanks to their subdued but smart and overall dryly humorous commentary you can enjoy the creative audio-visual and story aspects of Alice without suffering through the repetitive platformer gameplay.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Might have enough for now :v: I'll clean up the formatting across the next few days or so (making it consistent).

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Geop posted:

The World Ends with You, by Orange Fluffy Sheep: One of the best JRPG to come from Square in the last years. The game drops the usual fantasy setting for modern-day Tokio and changes potions into hamburgers, equipment into garish fashion statements and angst into the most :smug: character in the story of videogames. OFS does a great job of showing everything the game has to offer, up to and including the post-game. (Recommended by Fat Samurai)

Was Tokyo supposed to be misspelled here?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Kuvo posted:

davidspackage
Hopkins FBI, Jul 2011
Video on Veoh and Blip
8 Ep

Philosopher Albert Camus once said "Happiness and the absurd
are two sons of the same earth. They are inseparable." Hopkins
FBI
is a celebration of the absurd. The subject of the piece,
Special Agent Hopkins, is faced with a reality that most of us would
not be able to reckon with. Yet instead of succumbing to insanity or
existential dread, he celebrates the human condition with cheerful
optimism. Hopikins doesn't question his purpose in an uncaring and
hostile universe because he has already reaffirmed his purpose; to
make you laugh.

Blip deleted his account, and I can't play the video on Veoh. This is bad. Very bad. :(

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Nah, it's on Internet Archive as well as his Youtube channel :shobon:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The new OP should also include a notification that the huge banner saying "This LP is also available on the Internet Archive!" isn't an advertisement, and you shouldn't be afraid of opening it, no matter what your years-reinforced anti-banner instincts tell you.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I always miss that darn Internet Archive link. It blends in with the header too much.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

nine-gear crow posted:

Done.

Dirge of Cerbeus: Final Fantasy VII by TheDarkId - The Final Fantasy series hits its stupidest, and TheDarkId hits it right back, taking the piss out what has to be the worst video game Square has ever produced in a hilarious semi-narrative SSLP. I'm already loving this poo poo.

I'm glad you used the term semi-narrative, because I was wondering if semi-narrative is a distinct category or not. Semi-narrative SSLP's tend to be mostly played straight and informative, but have a framing story, or add in commentary by in-universe characters which basically stays separate from on-screen events. An example is Tales of Graces (by wdarkk)

To me that's a bit different than full narrative LP's, where there is a great deal of additional content and is woven into on-screen events a lot. But the distinction is not always clear.

GTA: San Andreas by Jerusalem is a rather remarkable LP which tries, and for the most part, succeeds, in smoothly creating a narrative blending story and side events into this 100% completion run of the sandbox game.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Geop posted:

Grab-Bags/Megathreads/Miscellaneous

Then if it's okay, I'll recommend the Hard Games Thread, a collection of LPs of predominately older games that were still being designed to squeeze extra coins out of your pocket and into the arcade machines, being played by people who make them look like cakewalks.

And then also the Racing Thread, spawned after the Meat Boy bonus races kept on happening. Good for longform entertainment, bordering on background noise podcasts of people talking about random topics, interspersed with freaking out at things happening in the game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
No offense to those of recommended, but I notice a couple LPers appear more than once on the list. I at least feel that we have a large enough base of quality and entertaining LPers that we can examples from unique posters in each category. Just a thought.

edit: because I forgot how to write

Sally fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 9, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm glad you used the term semi-narrative, because I was wondering if semi-narrative is a distinct category or not. Semi-narrative SSLP's tend to be mostly played straight and informative, but have a framing story, or add in commentary by in-universe characters which basically stays separate from on-screen events. An example is Tales of Graces (by wdarkk)

To me that's a bit different than full narrative LP's, where there is a great deal of additional content and is woven into on-screen events a lot. But the distinction is not always clear.

That was pretty much the thought I had when I made the distinction. It's something I'm doing right now in one of own LPs, and I'd be a little offended if it was written off by someone as a full-on narrative when I'm still quoting the game verbatim and nothing I add to it in terms of content or commentary is going to change the direction of the plot or what happens and I'm still addressing it like I'm presenting an interpretation of a video game to people rather than fanfiction that just so happens to have cool pre-made visual elements to it.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Just quickly, the dongs.exe LP is not a SSLP, it's a comedic VLP.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just realized Tie Fighter isnt in there, I don't know quite how to describe it, but it's amazing.

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

One more for the laid-back category:
Kirby's Dream Course by Psymonkey - chill, pleasant commentary while still showing great skill at a unique and interesting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3649263

Here we go! Good night, thread. You've done well :911:

• Locked thread