Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
My personal favorite at the moment are Zutatens Xenosaga Threads. Episode 1 and Episode 2. Most of my love obviously comes from that im a big xeno* fan.

But it's not just the game, zutaten is doing great on this. For a plot heavy game like this the subtitled movies are great, and offer a lot of info. Also fun wikipedia facts and more. But the best thing is that having played the 3 games, looking back at the first ones like this you see a lot stuff that makes a lot more sense if you've played episode 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lache
Dec 17, 2006
Why yes, your suffering does feed me
For those of you loving the 4X genre, or are totally ignorant of it like myself, do yourself a huge favor and check out Ze Pollack's Sword of the Stars thread. He's doing a great run through with the Liir (read: psychotic space dolphins), and his writing is top notch. The thread just started so this is a good one to get in on the ground floor for.

Another of the greats that hasn't been mentioned is Concordat's StarFox64 LP. He presented a new take on LPs by combining a video Let's Play with some of the best soundtrack overlays you'll hear for quite some time. The guy knows the game incredibly well, and will embarrass you with the relative ease with which he gets medals.

Should you have Archives access, you must find Medibot's Kirby64 thread. It doesn't get much better than that folks, and he and KungFuJesus might as well be known as Team Awesome for the comedic gold their combined efforts have produced in the past.

Edit: almost forgot to add docmasaki's Lost Planet. Very laid back, incredibly humorous, and one of the first people to put Stage6 to good use for high quality videos, he deserves kudos for the amount of work put into making it great.

Lache fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 30, 2007

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Nice idea for a thread.

People ought to check out McKain's Thief thread, simply because he's awesome at the game. He's playing on Expert, getting 100% loot in every level and manages to keep it interesting even though Thief is one of those games that you'd think one couldn't make a good LP of. Every update has a screenshot narrative as well as a subtitled video with humoristic commentary. He's basically showing what makes Thief such an atmospheric and compelling gaming experience, with the possible exception of having to resort to knock-outs and being seen every now and then. However, I'm a die-hard Thief fan, and even though I wanted to see a "perfect" playthrough, McKain manages to maintain interest way better a ghost-run ever could.

I've been wanting to replay the game for a good while now, but I enjoy watching it enough to keep my gaming interests focused elsewhere. So I guess it's safe to say it catches the primary LP idea of "playing it so you don't have to."

GreenDream
Jun 2, 2003

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?
I just discovered the Ouendan thread thanks to this and am currently laughing my arse off. God drat it, I'm always late to these things. Also throwing in a vote for Dark Id's Clock Tower 3 thread. Such a shithouse game but funny as hell.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet: Spirit Armor's Mecha and Demons: Messing With History Since 1923. Let's Play Sakura Wars! thread is among the funniest things I've seen in a long time. He's started with a game that doesn't take itself too seriously in the first place, then adds in wonderfully twisted commentary and OOC-asides that shed a whole new light on the situation. Throw in the occasional MS-Paint masterpiece, and you get comedy gold.

Plus, the occasional just-out-of-the-bath scene with young women. In case you need another reason.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nakar's Ultima LPs

http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Ultima%204-6/
http://forum.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2649208

Nakar plays through this classic RPG series leaving a screaming, gibbering pile of code in his wake. If there's a way to break it, he will do it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'll second No One Lives Forever by Vexation. I always considered that a difficult game to LP, but he's doing well. He's clearly practiced each level a couple of times before recording, so he can get through the levels (at least so far)pretty well by sneaking in one unbroken run, which is impressive considering how I have to to the quickload tango a lot in that game.

Subtitle commentary is a good idea, and better yet, he's mostly staying in character and writing in first-person, which is very rare for LP's.

@@@

I'll also point out Medieval II: Total War - A Scotsman in Egypt and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, both by Jerusalem, and both are done with so much incredible work put into them.

Both threads are filled with just tons and tons of narrative, and it's all done really well. If you're thinking of making a narrative thread - and even if you're not, those threads are must reads.

I know they inspired me to go the extra mile.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 31, 2007

Static_Fiend
Jun 4, 2003

Who amongst us will have reached the end?
I've personally been enjoying the hell out of Savlor Hardin's We must go bravely for The Lady! [Nethack LP] thread. It's not a simple explanatory walkthrough like the others have been, he's given it a different spin and made it into more of a story involving the character, his dog, and the crazy adventure they've gotten themselves into for his wife.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Static_Fiend posted:

I've personally been enjoying the hell out of Savlor Hardin's We must go bravely for The Lady! [Nethack LP] thread. It's not a simple explanatory walkthrough like the others have been, he's given it a different spin and made it into more of a story involving the character, his dog, and the crazy adventure they've gotten themselves into for his wife.

Seconding this. NetHack LPs usually bore me to tears, but the story twist he's put on this, along with his entertaining narrative makes it a pleasure to read.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Someone already mentioned FF7 by Leovinus, but a while ago he also did a LP for FF8. This was before the LP subforum was created, so many people here might not be aware of it, but it is by far the funniest LP I've ever read. Leo's ability to maintain a constant loathing of the main characters, coupled with great commentary on the insane bits of the story (and there are lots of them), all make it absolutely hilarious. Ignore the very first update, it was done by somebody else who then abandoned leaving Leo to take over, and it's not very funny, so you could be put off. Don't be though because it's pure gold after that.

http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/FF8/

Mainwaring fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 30, 2007

Warlocktopus
Aug 19, 2006
Post Post-Modern Man

SynthOrange posted:

Nakar's Ultima LPs

http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Ultima%204-6/
http://forum.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2649208

Nakar plays through this classic RPG series leaving a screaming, gibbering pile of code in his wake. If there's a way to break it, he will do it.

Make sure you also read his Martian Dreams (http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Martian%20Dreams/) LP as well, preferably between U6 and U7. It's a vital step in the evolution of Steve from 'Haha we named a girl Steve' to just about the most hilarious goon antihero ever. Part of me actually prefers the Ultima storyline as done with Steve as the main character now.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The Crescendo LP is lost to the depths of the archives, but it gets my vote. It was a hentai game with the eroticism of a suicide note. It was like watching a trainwreck collide with an orphanage.

murklins
Jun 18, 2005
router hax plz
Chet Fabulous has a Varicella thread you should really check out if you liked his Enchanter/Zork threads. It's a really good game too, the writing is excellent.

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

Proteus4994 posted:

Hexen 2 - Suspicious (VLP)

Older first person shooters are so hard to play and commentate well at the same time, and more unfamiliar games like Hexen 2 (compared to say Doom 2) get almost no love for it, Suspicious's Hexen 2 thread is gold all the way through.

I recommend this though on the basis that it truly is a game you'll never play.

Desiato fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 30, 2007

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Desiato posted:

Along the same lines I have my own Marathon VLP that's now almost done as well. Older first person shooters are so hard to play and commentate well at the same time, and more unfamiliar games like Hexen 2 and Marathon (compared to say Doom 2) get almost no love for it. My Marathon thread is a little *ahem* rough at the start but Suspicious's Hexen 2 thread is gold all the way through.

I recommend them though on the basis that these TRULY are games you'll probably never play.

In case you didn't read, the OP specifically said NOT to plug your own thread, bud. In fact, it's Rule #1 in big bold type. :colbert:

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

Drakkel posted:

In case you didn't read, the OP specifically said NOT to plug your own thread, bud. In fact, it's Rule #1 in big bold type. :colbert:

Haha, I misread something Proteus said later in the thread and thought he was condoning it, well I'm mostly plugging Suspicious's thread anyways.

digadigadoo
Apr 1, 2007
Let's suck at Super Mario Bros. 2 by Dominic R is probably the funniest LP I've seen. He has never played the game before and he sounds like a drunk old man most of the time which makes for some unpredictable and hilarious moments, mostly involving save states. The thread has been archived but the first video can be viewed here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4802215358620538622&hl=en-CA

"Go back to...homework"

digadigadoo fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 30, 2007

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!

digadigadoo posted:

Let's suck at Super Mario Bros. 2 by Dominic R is probably the funniest LP I've seen. He has never played the game before and he sounds like a drunk old man most of the time which makes for some unpredictable and hilarious moments, mostly involving save states. The thread has been archived but the first video can be viewed here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4802215358620538622&hl=en-CA

"Go back to...homework"
I've been looking for that thread in the archives for a while now, thanks so much for finding it. I caught the first couple of videos, but never could find it again after that, now I'll finally get to see the end!

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
I'm going to third the recommendation for Jerusalem's Medieval 2: Total War thread.

After a long night of drinking, two scottish princes awaken to find themselves and their followers on a boat bound for Egypt. After besieging and capturing Alexandria, they realize the potential for creating a Scottish dynasty in Egypt, but the road to glory is a long one fraught with bloodshed, plague, total war, and betrayal.

In addition to capturing beautiful screen shots, Jerusalem did an amazing job with the story telling, and gained such a large following that the thread has been re-hosted multiple times.

If you have archives, you can read it here, which I strongly recommend because the whole thread is terrific, not just his in-character posts.
If you don't have archives, you can still read the story here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This was a really good idea, there's so much stuff out there that I've been completely unaware of.

While I'm really enjoying Scorchy's current tale of hapless Blade Runner Ray McCoy in Blade Runner - Skinjob Retirement Simulator you're doing yourself a disservice if you didn't read his amazing Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II - Because We Hate Endings, available in The Goldmine as well as in Archive Format or The Let's Play Archive

It's an amazing thread, in which Scorchy takes what was an excellent unfinished game, polishes it up and shows it for the masterpiece it could have been. The level of work he put into it boggles my mind.

For active threads, check out Stabbey The Clown's gently caress saving the world, I just want cash and tits! - The Bard’s Tale (2005) for a neat skewering off the standard rpg format, both by the game itself and Stabbey's narrative.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm sure it hasn't been mentioned yet because everyone's already following it (or you better be), but Mr. Swoon's new Monster Rancher LP is, as always, top notch. The first one was mentioned earlier, but he's back with a new persona and a new (loving ugly eyeball) monster to kill play with.

Lately I've also been enjoying the Worms Armageddon threads, though they're updated pretty randomly. Some of the videos are boring and just people more-or-less killing each others' worms; other games have me literally laughing out loud for minutes at a time. There's a few videos posted that are retardedly long, and someone usually mentions at around the 45 minute mark that "if anyone's still watching this, you're loving stupid"... well, I'm still watching. gently caress you guys.

Deceased Crab and guests did a good job with Knytt's Stories, though I'm not sure if that thread is now done or if there is more yet to come. It's just a nice relaxed game, sometimes funny, but really enjoyable to watch. He also did a really good job with The Art of Theft (the game made by Yahtzee, though I'm sure everyone here knows that already).

Most of the rest of what I've been following and really enjoying lately has already been mentioned.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

To be honest, I'd like to recommend every LP in the subforum, since a lot of people seem to have found several new favorites just looking through the suggestions in this thread, and really, it's very easy to click on any thread on the front page and look though an update or two to see if you like it.

That's kind of an unrealistic expectation, though, so here are some of the current threads I'm watching. As a notice, these are not all the threads I read, just just the ones I make sure to catch every new update. Also, they're listed in order of increasing popularity, based on pageviews, rather than based on personal favorites.

Wall Street Kid by Novasol: As he showed with his Tomato Princess in the Salad Kingdom LP, Novasol has an ability to take a lame NES game that doesn't really have a lot of content going for it, and turn it into his personal plaything as far as narration is concerned. Novasol has taken a game that's essentially about buying stocks and transformed it into a story about the daily life of an angry, bitter man trying to survive in a world full of overbearing loan sharks and nagging girlfriends.

Scratches by Montalvo: This time it's mostly the game itself that's interesting--seriously the most disturbing game I've encountered since Silent Hill--but Montalvo does a good job of drawing you into the experience with a first-person narrative and music taken directly from the game. It's mostly screenshots, but Montalvo has also provided movies of the most harrowing moments in the game.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! 2 by Tasian: The original Japanese version of Elite Beat Agents, you wouldn't initially assume a good LP could be done of this, but somehow Tasian manages to make it spot-on. His on-screen "translations" are hilarious, his information tidbits genuinely enlightening, and he plays the game pretty well on top of that. Plus, there are contests for user participation, some of which involve him giving away money. :ssh:

Farenheit/Indigo Prophecy by LordMune: It's as mocking as you would hope for a game as messy as this, and on top of that LordMune is providing two playthroughs of the experience, each showing different ways to play the game and each providing a different style of narrative ("Mayans" for a more serious playthrough, and "Hobos" for a more inept playthrough where the characters are all assholes). As the two in-game paths have become less different over time, LordMune has made up for it by becoming more clever in how he narrates them.

A bunch of Mario romhacks by Raocow: I wouldn't recommend it as the ultimate LP, but for a thread that provides at least twenty minutes of new, improvised content every day, it sure beats the hell out of any TV show you could watch, and if nothing else it's a very relaxing LP to have on in the background. I don't know how creepy this sounds, but I've actually taken to falling asleep to Raocow videos.

I know most of these are pretty popular as it is (and all of them have been mentioned already), but the way I see it, that still hasn't stopped some people from not checking them. That said, I have omitted Animal Crossing and Clock Tower 3 from the list, since they are both so popular that they have over 100,000 views apiece.

Hmm... Maybe this is some incentive for me to check unpopular LPs that I haven't been reading and see how many of them I would want to recommend for this thread. I may be back later.

macklikethetruck
Jul 22, 2007

Party
Party
Party
:hfive:

Sinix posted:

Bully (VLP): This one is mainly worth watching for the game, which I don't think anyone really played. The commentary isn't great, but it's reasonable enough to usher you through the interesting game if you've never played it.

I'm glad this finally got going. I thought he abandoned it after one video.

digadigadoo posted:

"Go back to...homework"

This is pretty good for a bare bones LP. It should be archived! I'll ask in the sandcastle.

Desiato posted:

Haha, I misread something Proteus said later in the thread and thought he was condoning it, well I'm mostly plugging Suspicious's thread anyways.

I even mentioned Marathon in an earlier post champ!

Syvalion
Mar 19, 2005

You're all so precious :3:
A recently created thread of interest: Tell me how to LP my winter vacation by Sutureself

Without spoiling it, I'll say that it's a unique idea that is being done very, very well so far.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
so ya lets play half=life: 2 by Cybershell Honestly, my first impression of this LP was that it was going to be a one-off gag thread, where Cybershell was doing everything an LP author should NOT do: He confused the game he was playing with another one, he used a camera to take pictures instead of a screenshot program - including some pictues that were obscured because of the flash, he didn't know how to play the game or why ie kept dying... If he had left it at the single update I would have voted 1 and moved on, but he actually played through the entire game that way, so that's why it got a five instead.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
John McGoon signs contract extension - Let's Play FM2008 is the sequel to the successful adventures of Goons running a football team. Last year we bummed around Europe for a while before eventually getting a little Scottish team promoted twice in two years to the Premier league. Now Robodog has taken the controls with the 2008 version of the game. It was a fresh restart so now is a good time to get into it. Special Feature: Get a player named after you and track him through his career. I'm not into soccer, but I love following this LP and any sports fan will too, even if you dont understand the game.

And on a similar note Let's Play Baseball Mogul! (A different sort of BBM08 thread) actually is from SAS but is now found in the Goldmine. Another sports management sim this time baseball with a dramatic twist. gyroball has written an amazing story around his LP that is well worth reading. Can he and a collection of crazy, emo, fat, gay, doped up and robot baseballers take the Kansas City Royals to the World Series?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm going to second Let's Play Baseball Mogul. It's an amazing LP, one of the best ones ever written, and it wasn't even done in this forum! Gyroball is actually a professional writer and it shows. His updates are hilarious, it has a great story, and you don't need extensive knowledge of the game or its players since he pretty much makes up all the characters' personalities on the spot. I guess if you don't know anything at all about baseball you'll be completely lost at a few portions of it, but everyone else has to read it, without question.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Let's become a Transport Tycoon! is one of the better LP's I've seen lately. From Earth takes a game that looks confusing as all poo poo to people like me and totally makes it his bitch. Also, he's funny and takes audience participation. Highly recommended.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Another from the archive - it's one of the best pieces of writing I've seen this forum produce. Gave me chills in a few places. And it's of a good game too!

The story of a deeply alien society struggling to understand love. No, seriously.

GrandpaPants does Master Of Orion 2: http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/MoO2/

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I must nominate the Icewind Dale 2 thread going on right now. If you like amusing, lighthearted banter, then this thread is for you!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Zoolooman's Civilization 4 LP is a thing of alternate-history beauty, and hopefully he'll update it soon, dammit.

Even if he doesn't, his expoundings on the history of the Russangxi people are well worth the read. I know it got me back into Civ 4...

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Scattersane posted:

Make sure you also read his Martian Dreams (http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Martian%20Dreams/) LP as well, preferably between U6 and U7. It's a vital step in the evolution of Steve from 'Haha we named a girl Steve' to just about the most hilarious goon antihero ever. Part of me actually prefers the Ultima storyline as done with Steve as the main character now.

The newest Nakar Ultima thread (Serpent Isle) has started a few days back and is already shaping up to be awesome.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2730724

Of course, it's even better if you've read the old threads, or at the very least from U6 forward.

Edit: If you have the archives, I have to recommend the Kana Little Sister LP. A hentai game with pretty much no hentai parts and instead a narrative that is guaranteed to leave you in tears, about your dying little sister. It even manages to avoid being horrifically creepy for most of the game. In a way it's kind of hilarious to think of some horny teenager downloading this game expecting to get his hentai fix and instead being served up one of the most consistently depressing and emotional storylines instead. Be warned though, there are huge number of pictures each page.

http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2417923

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 9, 2008

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
METAL WOLF CHAOS!!!

Genpei Turtle is doing an amazing job with this. This is the perfect example of someone who's not hamming things up and knows how to show off a very funny and unique game. It takes brains to know when to be quiet and when to speak in a VLP like that (as opposed to deafly talking over everything) and Genpei knows what the gently caress he's doing.

Look, you trusted me back in the day with Snatcher, right? And Sprung? Trust me here, this game is worth it. Even if you think you won't like a video for any particular reason, just go through minute one and you'll like the rest.

Trust me, you'll enjoy this. And Genpei hasn't even gotten to some of the really good stuff yet.

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

slowbeef posted:

METAL WOLF CHAOS!!!

Seconding this. Also, no complaints about Genpei Turtle's voice. It is awesome and nerdy and that is awesome.

VSharp
Feb 13, 2004

That's how easy love can be!
One of my favorite threads here has been Egomaniac's Siren thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2679383&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

This is one of the hardest games I've ever played, but he goes through it like a pro. The videos are well done, and the storyline is intriguing and rewarding. A video game I never would have finished myself so I'm glad to see him show us why it's worth noting.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

VSharp posted:

One of my favorite threads here has been Egomaniac's Siren thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2679383&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I'll be honest, I heard a lot of people saying it was a great thread, and I started watching it and didn't understand what the big deal was. But if you stick with it past the first few videos, it turned out to be a drat good thread. And it's not that the first videos suck, it's just that the game starts out slow and confusing.

Looking forward to Siren 2.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
It's sadly a bit dead for the moment, but continuing the tradition of fantastic Monster Rancher LPs is Schildkrote's LP of Monster Rancher Advance 2 - a direct sequel storyline-wise to the LP of Monster Rancher, plus bonus content in the form of Swoon's occassional MRA1 posts. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
Bumping my own thread to recommend Vexation's FPS Emporium thread. As I said in his thread, I love watching competant people play lovely games, so this one is a no brainer. He picks some of the more obscure FPS games and tries to play through them. Some are good, some are awful, and some are just lazy. But regardless, they're all fun to watch.

Edit: Upon further consideration, none of the games are actually good now that we browbeat him into doing a separate NOLF thread. Which only serves to make the thread better.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 10, 2008

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
The Ninja Gaiden Trilogy by Proton Jon.

Quite an epic undertaking, he not only plays through all three NES games, but the Master System one as well. It's great to see someone blaze through these difficult games, especially if you used to (try to) play them back in the day. It's an entertaining display of skill and knowledge.

Around the second game, he also experiments to spice things up, and a couple of the jokes in particular had me laughing so hard there were tears in my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
First off McKain's thief thread, Wugga's quake thread, LordMune's Fahrenheit thread, Vexation's NOLF thread and Scorchy's Blade Runner thread have already been recommended, but I would second those recommendations.

I'd also like to throw onto the list Clavius' Monkey Island thread. I've played through Monkey Island before, but Clavius has added a lot of extra writing and humour that helps make the LP enjoyable. He's updating regularly, and he's presenting the game very well.

• Locked thread