Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

slowbeef posted:

METAL WOLF CHAOS!!!

Genpei Turtle is doing an amazing job with this. This is the perfect example of someone who's not hamming things up and knows how to show off a very funny and unique game. It takes brains to know when to be quiet and when to speak in a VLP like that (as opposed to deafly talking over everything) and Genpei knows what the gently caress he's doing.

Look, you trusted me back in the day with Snatcher, right? And Sprung? Trust me here, this game is worth it. Even if you think you won't like a video for any particular reason, just go through minute one and you'll like the rest.

Trust me, you'll enjoy this. And Genpei hasn't even gotten to some of the really good stuff yet.

Watching Genpei Turtle rock the hell out of Metal Wolf Chaos made my headache go away yesterday. Great thread, and his commentary is really interesting.

And wow, Snatcher. That was a great LP thread, right up there with the Fallout 2 thread where TROG CAN PUNCH BETTER NOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=24f39a1ea3e3152d3b7c23de42e9b683&threadid=2307906

Yeah, b00n's video-commentary on HL2 has already been mentioned, but if you want to see someone not play HL2 like a spaz, check this out. It's almost all screenshots, and well narrated ones. Sadly Amused Frog gave up on it but the parts that he got through are really great.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
Bumping this thread to draw attention.

I'm going to go ahead and break my own recommendations in the OP and suggest LordMune's five-star Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit thread (it's already been mentioned, but I'll mention it again). When the thread started, I was originally unsure of his "two playthroughs of the same level" gimmick until I watched it, and it really works. Seeing the difference between a fuckup playthrough and a good playthrough is fun, and different enough to justify watching both. And that's not even mentioning the game itself, which is so loving bizarre that it's really really entertaining viewing.

Support our LP troops. :patriot:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Proteus4994 posted:

Bumping this thread to draw attention.

I'm going to go ahead and break my own recommendations in the OP and suggest LordMune's five-star Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit thread (it's already been mentioned, but I'll mention it again). When the thread started, I was originally unsure of his "two playthroughs of the same level" gimmick until I watched it, and it really works. Seeing the difference between a fuckup playthrough and a good playthrough is fun, and different enough to justify watching both. And that's not even mentioning the game itself, which is so loving bizarre that it's really really entertaining viewing.

Support our LP troops. :patriot:

His subtitles are also hilarious. His thread is sort of the Being John Malkovich of the LP world. It's quirky, messed up, deals with an incomprehensible story built from the fevered dream of a madman, and yet manages to entertain thoroughly.

Well, actually, I didn't like Being John Malkovich all that much. But I do like LordMune's thread!

Sucker Punch
Jan 24, 2008

digadigadoo posted:

Let's suck at Super Mario Bros. 2 by Dominic R is probably the funniest LP I've seen. He has never played the game before and he sounds like a drunk old man most of the time which makes for some unpredictable and hilarious moments, mostly involving save states. The thread has been archived but the first video can be viewed here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4802215358620538622&hl=en-CA

"Go back to...homework"

For the same reason, I've gotta pimp the original, Slowbeef's Super Metroid LP (even though everyone who clicks this thread probably has already watched it). I like video lps much more if the player doesn't know the game inside and out. gently caress ups and frustration = comedy.

Similarly, I got a kick out of that "Let's all play games for the first time" thread. I don't have a clue where the bloody thing is now, though.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Sucker Punch posted:

gently caress ups and frustration = comedy.

I know you said video, but you might also like Oyster and Petoux's Final Fantasy. It looks circlejerky at first glance because it's using LPers as the characters, but there's no real in-jokes or anything, so it's actually not.

You get the added benefit of a screenshot LP of an iconic game like Final Fantasy where Petoux has never, ever played it before. Yet Oyster knows how to do things like exploit the random number generator. It's a neat little dynamic.

Sucker Punch posted:

Similarly, I got a kick out of that "Let's all play games for the first time" thread. I don't have a clue where the bloody thing is now, though.

Captain Novolin made a sequel to that thread.

Sucker Punch
Jan 24, 2008

slowbeef posted:

I know you said video, but you might also like Oyster and Petoux's Final Fantasy. It looks circlejerky at first glance because it's using LPers as the characters, but there's no real in-jokes or anything, so it's actually not.

You get the added benefit of a screenshot LP of an iconic game like Final Fantasy where Petoux has never, ever played it before. Yet Oyster knows how to do things like exploit the random number generator. It's a neat little dynamic.

I'll have to check that one out.

slowbeef posted:

Captain Novolin made a sequel to that thread.

I'll have to find that one too.

I lurked here for a while, back before we had the dedicated Let's Play subforum. Then they made it so that you had to be registered to look in here, so I've been more than a little disconnected until this morning, when I got bored and signed up.

And in order to properly contribute to the thread, another oldie that features fantastic incompetence is lurkdawg's Link to the Past VLP. If you like that kind of humour.

Tikiglass
Dec 28, 2007

Just replace all your kobolds with this...

Before joining this place, I lurked around the archives.
Eventually what drew me was Pesmerga's Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines LP.
For a screen shot LP,It was literally like reading a well constructed story.
It drew you into the LP; something that few LP'ers have actually done for me.
Lets Play: VtM:B

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
This thread needs to be ignored less.

Static_Fiend's KISS: Psycho Circus thread now has several videos up and it's looking really good so far. If you've seen his Quake 4 or Prey threads you know he maintains a high quality commentary, and does his best to show off the game as best he can, while still keeping the playthrough interesting. The game doesn't look as bad as you might think from the name, so you should definitely check it out.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Wall Street Kid is great. I know it was mentioned earlier, but it turns a (lovely) NES era game into a funny and painful story.

Deceased Crab
Dec 31, 2006

You're going to pay for this!!!
It's been said before in this thread, but it must be said again: You have to read Nakar's Ultima LPs. They're screenshots, they're very detailed, they explore the entire game and most of the cheating, and most importantly, they're utterly hilarious. Nakar is one of the best writers in the LP Subforum. He should write books, I tell you.

Serpent Isle and Silver Seed may end up being his last Ultima thread for all I know. 1-3 predates Brittania and the quest/fellowship of the Avatar, 8 eliminates the fellowship entirely and is a solo endeavor, and 9 has already been done but is yet another solo expedition. I for one am sorry he is running out of good Ultimas to LP.

Anyone who tells me they aren't reading his threads is a fool.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Deceased Crab posted:

It's been said before in this thread, but it must be said again: You have to read Nakar's Ultima LPs. They're screenshots, they're very detailed, they explore the entire game and most of the cheating, and most importantly, they're utterly hilarious. Nakar is one of the best writers in the LP Subforum. He should write books, I tell you.

Serpent Isle and Silver Seed may end up being his last Ultima thread for all I know. 1-3 predates Brittania and the quest/fellowship of the Avatar, 8 eliminates the fellowship entirely and is a solo endeavor, and 9 has already been done but is yet another solo expedition. I for one am sorry he is running out of good Ultimas to LP.

Anyone who tells me they aren't reading his threads is a fool.

DC and I might argue over........everything, but we're going to have to agree to agree on this one. Nakar's threads are outstanding. Steve the Avatar is probably the best written sociopathic main character I have ever seen in an LP (she's not evil, just completely amoral), and it's consistently hilarious.

One thing I will disagree with DC about is that if you haven't read Nakar's threads, don't read Serpent Isle. Read Ultima 4, 5, and 6 first, then hunt down the Ultima VII thread (which I don't think has been archived quite yet), THEN read Serpent Isle.

Ultima 4 isn't his best work, but Ultima 5 is good, by Ultima 6, the thread is gut-bustingly funny.

Edit: And once you get done reading those, bug him to do U8.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 29, 2008

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

baldurk posted:

This thread needs to be ignored less.

Static_Fiend's KISS: Psycho Circus thread now has several videos up and it's looking really good so far. If you've seen his Quake 4 or Prey threads you know he maintains a high quality commentary, and does his best to show off the game as best he can, while still keeping the playthrough interesting. The game doesn't look as bad as you might think from the name, so you should definitely check it out.

I'm gonna have to agree here, I was totally surprised by how interesting the game looks. The thing is I'd never play or buy this game myself so it fulfills one of the classic LP objectives, to introduce you to a game that you otherwise wouldn't play. Refreshing.

Diagnosed
Jul 16, 2007

by Fragmaster
elisaaa's Mickey Mania thread is very, very good for a first LP thread, and she has a very comfortable playing/commenting style, does well at the game, and has a really really neat rapport with her brother. (So I'm not just pimpin it cause we're buddies! It really is pretty good.)

The game itself is a pretty simple platformer, but it's pretty mean, and it's kinda interesting too. It might not be the next Super Metroid or anything like that, but it's very nice when threads that do a decent job like these pop up, even if it's not a major game or anything.

Which, tip to new LPers : the first game you do doesn't always have to be the most interesting or amazing! Be comfortable with your commentary, and have a game that you know about and have played before. It's a good way to get better for sure.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've been lurking in this forum for a while and have definitely noticed some gems, but probably nothing surprising to you guys. If someone has mentioned these before please this consider a re-recommendation.

- Ultima Anything by Nakar, for obvious reasons.
- Let's Abuse our License to Kill NOLF by Vexation. I don't really enjoy video LPs at all, I find nerds muttering over video that enthralling (for example I don't seem to enjoy Wolfshirt's antics like everyone else). But NOLF has such a strong story and production values that you can literally enjoy the game for its own merits, with Vexation's well-timed text commentary just adding to the experience. This is the only video lp that I've seen all of, and plan on seeing the rest of.
- Blade Runner Skinjob Retirement Simulator by Scorchy (just completed, all five endings). Scorchy's obvious knowledge of this multi-faceted game is one the main attractions, but I also enjoy the speech bubble screenshot approach. While there are some LPs that are laugh out loud funny (e.g. DarkID's RE) Scorchy's really creates a sensation of what playing the game was like. The commentary and humour is present, but this LP works better as a recreation of the game.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Speaking up for some guys who aren't getting enough attention in here...

Wanton Spoon posted:

A bunch of Mario romhacks by Raocow: I wouldn't recommend it as the ultimate LP, but for a thread that provides at least twenty minutes of new, improvised content every day, it sure beats the hell out of any TV show you could watch, and if nothing else it's a very relaxing LP to have on in the background. I don't know how creepy this sounds, but I've actually taken to falling asleep to Raocow videos.

Seconding the Raocow love. You're not the only one who falls asleep to his vids, but that's not to say they're in any way boring. It's hit-or-miss humor...if you like stream-of-consciousness stuff from someone rather creative, it's awesome to just listen to him ramble his way through some crazy romhacks. If you want to see skilled play and a master mastering his mastered trade...well, this ain't what you're looking for.

But for what it is, it's entertaining and, rather frequently, hilarious. Turns out he has a new one going now, too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2760045&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Also worth noting is Pander18's playthrough of Star Wars Rebellion: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2649741

Excellent characterization and storytelling for all of the bit players in a Star Wars game...and there are quite a few bit characters. And it's all very well-written. Great if you wanna read about things being done that aren't at all canon by someone who can actually do a bit of writing.

Robotnik DDS
Oct 31, 2004

If you have archives, you should read MonkeyforaHead's Pac-Man 2 thread, even though it was never finished. That game is full of weird and funny little touches and Shmorky posts some of his neat playthrough vids as well.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
The main LP's I post in and anticipate updates for are:

Drox's Doom: The Board Game LP (found here). This may be because I'm in it, but the idea of a FPS board game is utterly ludicrous but kind of fun, and the best part is you can add yourself to the interested parties list and join in once a player dies.

The Lone Wolf LP (found here) is surprising fun, because they're rather good Choose Your Own Adventure books.

Dwarf Fortress in 3D (found here) is great fun, because the renders help illustrate the ASCII.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
It almost goes without saying, but I'll do so anyway:

Read Schildkrote's Persona 3 Thread.

The game is amazing, and he's doing a really good job with it.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
- Alice in Wonderland recently finished and it's a fantastic little read. The Dragon Force thread by the same author is also pretty ace.

- Onimusha by The Dark Id is a great read if you liked his Resident Evil series of LPs. It also has a spiffy trivia section at the end of each update, which I'm enjoying a lot.

- Farenheit/Indigo Prophecy is like watching a long movie. A long, horrible, bloody train wreck of a movie directed by a madman. Also, recently finished.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
I really enjoyed Alice in Wonderland. I missed it the first time around until it got archived but the thread is still going. It's extremely well done and got very little attention.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

^^ This dude's Oregon Trail LP here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2753543 is WELL worth a read as well. He does a nice job of taking what the game throws at him and making an interesting narration to fit.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Hoodi's Deus Ex 2 VLP is getting so little love compared to what it deserves it's almost criminal. Not only has he avoided nearly every mistake commonly associated with virgin LPs, and not only did he jumpstart the OP by posting videos in well-sized updates up to where the previous LPer let the last thread die, and not only has he provided engaging commentary throughout, but he knows the game like the back of his hand and gladly takes gameplay requests and listens to feedback. Essentially a laundry list of things to do exactly when making a VLP.

Between Hoodi and Doctor Masaki, I'm beginning to think the British have cornered the market on VLPs.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Willie Tomg posted:

Hoodi's Deus Ex 2 VLP is getting so little love compared to what it deserves it's almost criminal. Not only has he avoided nearly every mistake commonly associated with virgin LPs, and not only did he jumpstart the OP by posting videos in well-sized updates up to where the previous LPer let the last thread die, and not only has he provided engaging commentary throughout, but he knows the game like the back of his hand and gladly takes gameplay requests and listens to feedback. Essentially a laundry list of things to do exactly when making a VLP.

Between Hoodi and Doctor Masaki, I'm beginning to think the British have cornered the market on VLPs.

Seconding the love for Hoodi and his LP. Of course, the lack of attention might just be cause it's invisible war and all that v:shobon:v

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The Spyro the Dragon series by Flare Elevar

Probably the best example of a subtitled VLP I've seen, funny without trying too hard to be hilarious, and he's really loving good at the game as well. He just moved on to Spyro 2, and the thread just recently went gold, so check it out you will not be disapointed.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

another vote for Spyro, and also Envisioned's Crash Bandicoot thread is awesome.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
And since I'm making recommendations, I reamed the poo poo out of joats' HL2 mod VLP in Harsh Criticism a while back for various reasons that don't matter now.

And they don't matter because joats has found his groove in an absolutely awesome way! The presentation of his new SMOD vids is several orders of magnitude more entertaining than his first efforts; varying gameplay really well, and getting the insanity of the mod across with fresh and funny commentary that somehow got really loving good at some point in the time I wasn't watching.

And if you still don't like the commentary? Then he's now recording a second track you can start listening to on the fly!

So if you're one of those people who either ignored it the first go-around, or stopped following, I encourage you to give the most improved thread on the forum another shot.

macklikethetruck
Jul 22, 2007

Party
Party
Party
:hfive:
Quest for Glory / Hero's Quest 1-5: An Epic Let's Play

A forgotten gem, LPed a bit unconventionally(as in it's actually good). This is actually one of my favorite things going right now. The game is the real draw, the commentary is minimal and subtitled, which is all it needs to be IMO. The updates are fairly regular, and the videos are short, presenting little chapters of an awesome old school adventure game. Check it out.

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it

Final Fallacy posted:

another vote for Spyro, and also Envisioned's Crash Bandicoot thread is awesome.

I haven't looked at the spyro thread, but I recommend Envisioned's thread if you have played the Crash games, or even if you haven't.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

This is a shameless bump, but not without content. I'll recommend Blister's SiN thread. Blister's pretty amusing, and just bad enough at the game to keep it pretty intense (yet he avoids the constant deaths that plague a lot of the other LPs). Like I've said before, I'm a sucker for FPS threads, and this is one of the better ones out there right now. Just ignore the masterbatory fodder in the actual thread itself and you'll be fine.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Travis343 is doing an excellent Let's Play of Earthbound; it's well-written, well-illustrated, has a cornucopia of extras, and yes, has inspired a great many (me included) to hop back into Earthbound yet again. EDIT: More specifically, he really exactly catches that feel one gets when playing Earthbound, that wide-eyed sense of adventure and fun with just a little extra edge to it--not grim 'n gritty edge, but little emotional moments like Paula burying a destroyed teddy bear at Little Steps after it gets destroyed by the Mondo Mole. Excellent.

TombsGrave fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 27, 2008

romscout
Jan 27, 2008
I'm really digging Frankomatic's Donkey Kong LP. Not a very long game, and therefore probably not going to end up being a long thread, but it still deserves your attention. His presentation is great in the videos, coming off as a geek without a life and is sometimes making ties between the game and "his life", and it generally turns out to be pretty entertaining and comical.

He doesn't really go overboard on the commentary, either. The game itself could be grabbing your attention, but the commentary is just there to draw smirks and laughs, and it does a good job in doing just that. Go watch it if you haven't. Right now.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm going to recommend Mastiff's Haunting Ground LP, because the first-person narrative is done really well, it feels right.

Chewbot is batting 1000 with Plague and Treachery on the Oregon Trail. Wildly creative, Chewbot has taken a game that many people are familiar with and reinvented it completely, just like he did with Animal Crossing.

Roar's LP of Ecoquest is good not just becaue it's an absurd and obscure game, but Roar's commentary realy makes the absurdity shine.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Nobody has mentioned Danimo's LP? The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2694880

And now the Texan Empire in HOI2: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2776738

Great narrative, always leaving me on the edge for more. MORE!

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.
GODHAND is easily the best game in existence. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2784203

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Tourette Meltdown posted:

GODHAND is easily the best game in existence. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2784203

See, this is what I'm trying to avoid in this thread. Sure, GODHAND might be the best game ever made, but is the LP any good? Why? Your post in no way makes me want to read that thread.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If its any consolation, I probably wouldn't have even checked the Earthbound thread without this thread, and now I'm very happy I did. It's great!

Schildkrote
Aug 19, 2006

Wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'
Thuryl's Might and Magic thread is great - he maintains a narrative style while still managing to be pretty funny, which isn't easy to do; most of the narrative LPs I've seen for stuff like Dwarf Fortress, Breath of Fire, or any of the five thousand Paradox games come off too heavy-handed and end up being hard to read.

The game itself is standard swords-and-sorcery fare, not to mention it's oldschool DOS/Mac so don't expect eye-bursting graphical splendor, but Thuryl adds a certain personality to it that makes it really fun to read. He's apparently going to be LPing the first five games of that series, too, so it's not ending anytime soon.

Diagnosed
Jul 16, 2007

by Fragmaster

Proteus4994 posted:

See, this is what I'm trying to avoid in this thread. Sure, GODHAND might be the best game ever made, but is the LP any good? Why? Your post in no way makes me want to read that thread.

Just to back up his suggestion because even if it wasn't very good, the thread is great --

The guy playing the game knows how to play it, and God Hand is a pretty hard game, so that's definetely good. It's obscure and not a lot of people have seen it, and KFJ, Medibot, and Kaz really do have a good rapport of humor off of each other. KFJ does a great job of explaining game mechanics as they come up too, which is great for making sure that we know enough to follow without being overloaded with information, or in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Diagnosed posted:

Just to back up his suggestion because even if it wasn't very good, the thread is great --

The guy playing the game knows how to play it, and God Hand is a pretty hard game, so that's definetely good. It's obscure and not a lot of people have seen it, and KFJ, Medibot, and Kaz really do have a good rapport of humor off of each other. KFJ does a great job of explaining game mechanics as they come up too, which is great for making sure that we know enough to follow without being overloaded with information, or in the dark.

To clarify, all of this. Plus it's just a fun, bizarre game. I wouldn't say "everyone needs to play it" or "everyone needs to watch this LP" but I really do think everyone needs to know Godhand exists. Tons of fun, very weird, and pretty difficult.

• Locked thread