Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

OneDeadman posted:

If you're looking for a more serious play-through than the Freelance Astronauts one, the Mass Effect LP by Spoiler Warning guys is pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIN36m4vlapblxY743woJgYSde7a2afeF

I've been looking for a more serious Mass Effect LP, thanks! I see they also did ME2&3, so even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OneDeadman posted:

If you're looking for a more serious play-through than the Freelance Astronauts one, the Mass Effect LP by Spoiler Warning guys is pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIN36m4vlapblxY743woJgYSde7a2afeF

I'd second that recommendation with the cautionary warning that they're not completionist (could be a positive, could be a negative), and (especially in later series) tend to be a little thin-skinned when people don't agree with their opinions re: whatever they're playing at the time. No meltdowns, but they seem to be of the opinion that anyone who didn't have trouble with a part of the game they found confusing must just be :spergin:

If you can tolerate that, they're pretty great; I definitely appreciate their willingness to use LPs as a platform for in-depth critique of whatever game they're doing.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
The Freelance Astronauts' Mass Effect LP has produced what I consider to be one of the funniest videos ever created. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddqHDVTzmxo

(Gonna echo the recommendations above mine though, go watch the Spoiler Warning one if you're looking for something more serious, but I just had to post that video).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

The Freelance Astronauts' Mass Effect LP has produced what I consider to be one of the funniest videos ever created. :v:

(Gonna echo the recommendations above mine though, go watch the Spoiler Warning one if you're looking for something more serious, but I just had to post that video).

I'm not gonna lie, for years my Xbox Live avatar motto was "spawn another tank."

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Edmond Dantes posted:

That is good but this will always be the greatest FA moment. I still smile when I think of it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Roar posted:

That is good but this will always be the greatest FA moment. I still smile when I think of it.

The sheer amount of assholery going on in that LP was astonishing. And by astonishing I mean hilarious.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Whatever happened to the Freelance Astronauts? They just kinda fell off the face of the earth.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Roar posted:

The real greatest moment is this one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Teddybear posted:

Whatever happened to the Freelance Astronauts? They just kinda fell off the face of the earth.

Murder suicide

They all got jobs in different states/cities and broke up. Maxwell Adams still did some LPs here and there, but I haven't encountered any of them on the forums since I've been here as a non-lurker. Maybe if we say their group name enough times it will conjure them out of the ether again.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Roar posted:

That moment, and this level are probably my two favorite parts of that entire LP.

"MUTINY!"

And yeah, I'm sorry to see they aren't doing LPs anymore, they were a great group of jerks who bumbled their way through games. :v:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Teddybear posted:

The didn't fall off the face of the earth, they blasted off the face of the earth. They're astronauts, you see.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

SWMadness posted:

That moment, and this level are probably my two favorite parts of that entire LP.

"MUTINY!"

And yeah, I'm sorry to see they aren't doing LPs anymore, they were a great group of jerks who bumbled their way through games. :v:

This is amazing, I need more of the Freelance Astronauts.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Your wish is granted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDAAwX2pKXY

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

SWMadness posted:

"MUTINY!"

We need to track Ferr down and force him to record his own versions of AC: Black Flag's shanties. Ideally while dicking people over in New Super Mario Bros. U.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The whole Star Trek RP saga is magic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwTCqqq9f0Y

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

This gets good starting at 2:46 if you're impatient.

"It's like Studio 54 there are so many lines!"

"More lines than a soviet bakery, son!"

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
For whoever else was looking for a good Mass Effect LP, this guy has done the first two games so far. He's a pretty serious commentator and is way more completionist and story-focused than the Spoiler Warning LP.

It's also in HD and high frame rate, which is a plus. I think he's actually also using a HD texture mod which makes the game look amazing.

edit: Exceeept he's kinda learning the game again from scratch, so it takes a bit of patience

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 19, 2014

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Are there any good LPs out there for a play through with female Shepherd that anybody knows of? I've only ever played the female character and, for me, it feels really weird to see a man in the role of Shepherd.

Hedrigall posted:

For whoever else was looking for a good Mass Effect LP, this guy has done the first two games so far. He's a pretty serious commentator and is way more completionist and story-focused than the Spoiler Warning LP.

It's also in HD and high frame rate, which is a plus. I think he's actually also using a HD texture mod which makes the game look amazing.

edit: Exceeept he's kinda learning the game again from scratch, so it takes a bit of patience

I quite like this Mr Odd guy, I watched his Witcher LP a while back and he really throws himself into the story and characters. He tends to play blind so misses some parts of the game, but he really makes up for it with his serious enthusiasm. He also know when to shut the gently caress up.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
I've taken quite a liking to One Way Heroics after getting it ridiculously cheap in the steam sale, but I'd like to learn from watching someone better play through it. Does anyone know of any particular playthroughs that'd be worth watching? I'm mostly looking for ones that tackle the "more than 400 km" modes as I'm okay with that, where the harder modes currently wreck me.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
There don't seem to be any SA LPs of Dead Space 3 to be found, so if I wanted to watch a quality playthrough of it who would people recommend? I'm leaning more towards the Niggurath side of things, i.e. more informative and showing off the game than non-stop comedic hijinks.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Yes, we've all played Skyrim, but there's kind of a unique LP of it going on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARKOrfn3_tE

The LP isn't perfect, but it's a narrative VLP of skyrim that's pretty original.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
edit:When searching the LP archive, make sure you don't accidentally search for "mayonetta"

Pomp fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 27, 2014

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Pomp posted:

Has there been a good LP of Bayonetta, yet?
http://lparchive.org/Bayonetta/

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Has anyone done an LP of Fallout: Tactics, or any of the other non-standard Fallout games?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Chronische posted:

Has anyone done an LP of Fallout: Tactics, or any of the other non-standard Fallout games?

ddengha is planning to do Tactics, don't know about the others.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hideki Kamiya himself did a playthrough if that interests you.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

The director commentary should be watched if you've already played the game or watched the LP. While there's a lot of interesting information, there's plot spoilers and if you care about that then you'd want to avoid this series of videos until then. In any case, I link the relevant videos in the LP anyway.

Plus if you really care about quality, the audio was recorded using an iPod, the footage isn't HD, and he kinda sucks at the game :v:

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was reading through the old Touhou LP that Zorak did and he decided to take a break in the middle of 6 and never got back to it.

Are there any LPs out there that finish off the mainline series?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Chuu posted:

I was reading through the old Touhou LP that Zorak did and he decided to take a break in the middle of 6 and never got back to it.

Are there any LPs out there that finish off the mainline series?

Yeah I do remember that somebody picked up where Zorak left off. Isn't it on the lp archives?

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 29, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
There were two separate attempts at doing the rest of the games but both were eventually abandoned after finishing a few. Luckily though, this means games 6 through 12.8 have full playthroughs but sadly none of them got archived. The latter stopped halfway through 13.
Here's the two threads anyway:
Games 6 through 9: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431437
Games 10 through 12.8: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526086

If it's not too much of a hassle I suppose someone could quote the first posts in them to get all the video links.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I actually liked reading through the previous thread since a big part of why I started watching the LP was to figure out 'why is Touhou so insanely popular?' and the commentary adds as much as the videos do.

EDIT: All the videos I've tried so far in Rising-Grandpa's thread are private.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 29, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Chuu posted:

I actually liked reading through the previous thread since a big part of why I started watching the LP was to figure out 'why is Touhou so insanely popular?' and the commentary adds as much as the videos do.

EDIT: All the videos I've tried so far in Rising-Grandpa's thread are private.

I'm always interested in general opinions too, I just assumed you didn't have archives.
Ah well that's too bad. Guess there's a reason it's not archived.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Though in an early stage and ongoing the Dark Souls 2 LP by IGgy IGsen is pretty cool so far.
He shows off a lot, he includes differences between regular and NG+, I like his accent, the editing is solid and he plays well.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642300

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose
Does anyone know of a good VLP of a Harvest Moon game? I want some chill, informative farming to have on while I do other things, but all the LPs I've looked at on YouTube have an annoying commentator who reads all the text in dumb voices and/or does no editing at all, so there's just 100+ videos of them going through the mostly same routine. Any game in the series is fine, though A(nother) Wonderful Life would be preferable if only because I'd like to finally see the end of it.

A good LP of the series just seems difficult to do in general, but there has to be one VLP that is at least decent. I mean seriously, if I hear another LPer make a joke about "hoes :haw:" I don't know what I'll do.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Was there never a good screenshot LP of Virtue's Last Reward? I just fi finished up 999 on the archive in a single day, and enjoyed it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

KittyEmpress posted:

Was there never a good screenshot LP of Virtue's Last Reward? I just fi finished up 999 on the archive in a single day, and enjoyed it.

There isn't one in the archive because there's one going on right now. :v:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Kanfy posted:

There isn't one in the archive because there's one going on right now. :v:

Well, that's good. Time to go watch people intentionally make the main character look like a huge fuckin' idiot for extra dialogue :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I think that the ongoing Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs LP by davidspackage is probably hands-down the best approach to a horror game LP. The subtitles are sparse, positioned on-screen to direct attention to certain objects (ie: near something of importance rather than anchored at the bottom), and he gives solid voice-over readings of notes found in the game (originally unvoiced. He has a video version which excludes the reading, as well, offering only a short pause). Additionally, he points out lots of interesting visual cues/occurrences/etc which first-timers would likely miss altogether.

I enjoy watching horror games, and this scratches a rather nice itch in that the whole thing feels organic and really, really polished. Lots more folks should be following this!

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Geop posted:

I think that the ongoing Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs LP by davidspackage is probably hands-down the best approach to a horror game LP. The subtitles are sparse, positioned on-screen to direct attention to certain objects (ie: near something of importance rather than anchored at the bottom), and he gives solid voice-over readings of notes found in the game (originally unvoiced. He has a video version which excludes the reading, as well, offering only a short pause). Additionally, he points out lots of interesting visual cues/occurrences/etc which first-timers would likely miss altogether.

I enjoy watching horror games, and this scratches a rather nice itch in that the whole thing feels organic and really, really polished. Lots more folks should be following this!
Thank you for pointing out there's a subtitle only version, I don't think there was one when I first checked out that thread, and that's exactly what I wanted. Not that I think his readings are bad, I just prefer no voiceover for this type of game. Going to catch up on this now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Geop posted:

It looks great. Dumbrodent's ongoing LP of Outlast is another exemplary horror LP at the moment. His voice-over is so low-key, you could almost be fooled into thinking it was part of the original game. He also does a great job of navigating the levels, covering everything without blundering around. I've been very impressed.

• Locked thread