Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

To be honest, I'd like to recommend every LP in the subforum, since a lot of people seem to have found several new favorites just looking through the suggestions in this thread, and really, it's very easy to click on any thread on the front page and look though an update or two to see if you like it.

That's kind of an unrealistic expectation, though, so here are some of the current threads I'm watching. As a notice, these are not all the threads I read, just just the ones I make sure to catch every new update. Also, they're listed in order of increasing popularity, based on pageviews, rather than based on personal favorites.

Wall Street Kid by Novasol: As he showed with his Tomato Princess in the Salad Kingdom LP, Novasol has an ability to take a lame NES game that doesn't really have a lot of content going for it, and turn it into his personal plaything as far as narration is concerned. Novasol has taken a game that's essentially about buying stocks and transformed it into a story about the daily life of an angry, bitter man trying to survive in a world full of overbearing loan sharks and nagging girlfriends.

Scratches by Montalvo: This time it's mostly the game itself that's interesting--seriously the most disturbing game I've encountered since Silent Hill--but Montalvo does a good job of drawing you into the experience with a first-person narrative and music taken directly from the game. It's mostly screenshots, but Montalvo has also provided movies of the most harrowing moments in the game.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! 2 by Tasian: The original Japanese version of Elite Beat Agents, you wouldn't initially assume a good LP could be done of this, but somehow Tasian manages to make it spot-on. His on-screen "translations" are hilarious, his information tidbits genuinely enlightening, and he plays the game pretty well on top of that. Plus, there are contests for user participation, some of which involve him giving away money. :ssh:

Farenheit/Indigo Prophecy by LordMune: It's as mocking as you would hope for a game as messy as this, and on top of that LordMune is providing two playthroughs of the experience, each showing different ways to play the game and each providing a different style of narrative ("Mayans" for a more serious playthrough, and "Hobos" for a more inept playthrough where the characters are all assholes). As the two in-game paths have become less different over time, LordMune has made up for it by becoming more clever in how he narrates them.

A bunch of Mario romhacks by Raocow: I wouldn't recommend it as the ultimate LP, but for a thread that provides at least twenty minutes of new, improvised content every day, it sure beats the hell out of any TV show you could watch, and if nothing else it's a very relaxing LP to have on in the background. I don't know how creepy this sounds, but I've actually taken to falling asleep to Raocow videos.

I know most of these are pretty popular as it is (and all of them have been mentioned already), but the way I see it, that still hasn't stopped some people from not checking them. That said, I have omitted Animal Crossing and Clock Tower 3 from the list, since they are both so popular that they have over 100,000 views apiece.

Hmm... Maybe this is some incentive for me to check unpopular LPs that I haven't been reading and see how many of them I would want to recommend for this thread. I may be back later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread