Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Seconding Demon's Souls. The game is ridiculously hard, but Squint is really loving good at it. When I played it, I got pissed at the Flame Lurker (repeated deaths) only to get to that point on the LP and watch him handle the rear end in a top hat on the first go

<:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

SWAT 4 should be a precursor to Penumbra. His rage at Fields is comedy gold :buddy:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Not in the same league as Pokemon, but there've been at least three Resident Evil 4 LPs. Freelance Astronauts did one ages ago, there was an awesome SSLP one, and there's another one by DO IT TO IT and his buddies that just wrapped up. All of them are pretty nice LPs, though :shobon:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Triglav posted:

This is going to seem like a broad request, but what are some good subtitled LPs, preferably of FPSes?

On the fourth page of this thread, Proteus4994 posted about "Shogo" by Vexation and "Siren 2" by Egomaniac, I can't watch "Shogo" because it was hosted by Vimeo, but I'll be watching some episodes of "Siren 2" tonight.
It's not an FPS game, but Rooreelooo's LP of the Banjo Kazooie series is a fantastic subtitled LP extravaganza. If you're ever up for it, the commentary will most likely put a smile on your face :3: Pretty steady stream of subtitles, and it's pretty darn light-hearted (as it should be!).

Also, in the third person shooter vein, there's The Man with a Hat's LP of Dead Space, which is a pretty darn informative jaunt of sorts. His normal (first) play-through is subtitled, and his second one (hardest mode, for maximum suffering) is with voice commentary.

Geop fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 10, 2010

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I can't point to a specific example, but folks do feasibility checks pretty frequently in the Sandcastle.

Geop fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 16, 2011

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Tempest_56 posted:

While an offsite LP, this one for Silent Hill: Homecoming is awesome because of one amazing gimmick - the LPer uses YouTube's annotations to actually insert QTEs and choose-your-own-adventure options into the video. I was blown away when the first one came up and I realized that I was actually being required to hit the X button on the video pane to continue.
It isn't offsite :v:

FOILED :buddy:
vvv

Geop fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 28, 2011

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Goby posted:

Are there any group (2 people is fine as well, just not 1 person) LP's of bad games like Dead to Rights or other games with outrageous cutscenes where the group actually talks over the cutscenes?
RChimp Cola's stuff is pretty awesome. Their Resident Evil 5 commentary is fantastic :buddy: It just recently got added to the archive, too! Anyhow, he's also in the process of doing Assassin's Creed 2.

CommaToes posted:

You may want to look at Didja Redo's Gazillionaire LP. He does a great job making everyone care about what happens to what in reality is pretty much a spreadsheet.
Gotta second this. I just started on Didja Redo's thread a few days ago, and its overall vibe is EERILY similar to Wallstreet Kid. Not because it's the same gameplay of sorts (albeit expanded), but the way he goes about the LP with the made-up character banter :3: Screenshot LPs rarely snag me, but Gazillionaire is a slam-dunk must-read, if you enjoyed Novasol's stuff.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Heh. It does sound like an underhanded comment, but commentary relaxing enough that it puts you to sleep is a pretty nice thing. A prime example of this would definitely be CannibalK9's The Void. I think he went on hiatus for a brief spell when I was watching, so I still have the final episode or two to watch at some point. Anyhow, the episodes are lengthy and the commentary is unique and quite nice from an artistic angle.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Freelance Astronauts & Tipping40s are both definitely worth looking in to, if you haven't already :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Professor Latency posted:

Can anyone recommend me some horror LPs? I just read Montalvo's Scratches: Director's Cut LP, and loved his narration keeping in character. Ya know, something kind of serious and not like Khad's Penumbra videos...
Metro 2033 by Pannycakes is definitely one of my favorites on this front. It's a subtitle LP with good, sparse commentary. She did a pretty awesome job of playing through the game and keeping its atmosphere intact.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Have you seen any of Freelance Astronauts, Chip Cheezum's, or Tipping 40s stuff? Any of those three have enough videos to keep you occupied for a good while.

Also, definitely give Mercenaries 2 & Lost Planet 2 a look. Helloitsdan & Lithuanian Dad are a pretty fantastic co-op pair :v: Also in the co-op sort of angle, Resident Evil 5 with RChimp Cola & Sinatrapod is definitely one of my favorites.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Agent355 posted:

Bored at work, need a screenshot LP to read. I like all screenshot LPs as long as they don't try to roleplay anything, as those are always terrible. Anybody have any suggestions?
A few LPers come to mind:
The Dark Id, Novasol, and DidjaRedo did some pretty fantastic stuff! Novasol also did Shining Force CD, but it looks like it never got on to the LP Archive. If you have archives enabled, you could probably dig for the thread.

Edit: Here it is. Used Waffleimages, though, so some stuff is probably missing :ohdear:

Geop fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 14, 2012

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Even in context, it won't make much sense :staredog: But it's an awesome LP and everyone should be watching it (shame on you if you aren't)

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

There's also stuff done by Thornbrain and his buddies. 007: Agent Under Fire was a pretty entertaining LP :v: The gifs around the banner sum up some of the AI issues.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

JoeCool posted:

Does anyone know of an LP similar to Egomaniac's Siren: Blood Curse LP? Just an atmospheric game with subtitles would be nice.
Haven't seen that one, but Pannycakes' Metro 2033 has to be one of the best attempts at an atmospheric game in subtitle format. The game's atmosphere is so thick you can cut it with a knife, and her sparse commentary really leaves that whole feel in-tact. Definitely a favorite of mine :v: Plus, the overall approach she takes involves sneaking around, when possible (and avoiding gunfights in the process). Thought it was a nice touch, honestly.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Volume posted:

So I'm trying to get my friend into LP's and knowing his style he'd like a humorous video LP of a truly horrible horrible game. Any suggestions?
Does it necessarily have to be horrible? I think Lithuanian Dad & Helloitsdan's LP of Mercenaries 2 is what got me in to this stuff in the first place :staredog:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

What about Plaz? :saddowns:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

On a JRPG-ish sort of note, give TyrantSabre's LP of Infinity Space a stab. It's an awesome, on-going romp through a gem of a game that most folks didn't give an honest shot. Informative, funny, and well-done overall. Definitely give it a look! :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Spintzel posted:

... but are there any other great LPs that add more to the game without becoming extremely creepy or basically a fan-fiction?
Didja Redo's Gazillionaire Deluxe LP was pretty awesome in that regard :v: From what I recall, the base game was practically a spreadsheet/Excel-like game with some pictures and not much more. Definitely worth reading if you haven't already seen it.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

the least weasel posted:

Who is Egomaniac and what games has s/he done?
LP Archives, bro :v: Subtitled horror approach.

I've said it many times in the past, but you should also see Pannycakes' Metro 2033 LP. She did a pretty awesome job of maintaining the atmosphere as a whole. Some folks griped about the lack of subtitles, but it fits the game pretty perfectly. It's intended to be very lonely, and it works nicely.

Geop fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 28, 2012

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Pierzak posted:

:aaaaa: I looked for the "search by author" so many times, is it possible to list the archive as authors, or just do it from within the site instead of link manipulation?
Once you're inside of an LP itself, left-click the author's name at the top. It'll take you to a listing filtered on author.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

They mentioned that they're almost done with the Void :v:

Anything by Kaz & Medibot should be right up your alley. Their LP of Kirby's Epic Yarn is probably one of the most relaxing things around, I mean really :staredog:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

If folks haven't seen it already, Zorak & Chocorojo's LP of Man vs Wild just finished, and it's definitely something you should see if you're up for some humor. It's chock full of urine-filled snakeskins, nature-related learning, suffering, and Chocorojo outbursts :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Be sure to also watch Mercenaries 2 and Lost Planet 2 by helloitsdan and lithuanian dad. The latter of the two is not on LParchive, so be sure to give their website a go.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I actually stopped playing FEAR 2 just recently and figured I'd Youtube the ending out of curiosity, hearing only that it was really messed up.

The best comment: "And that's how I met your mother" :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Reaching back a ways (two years old? Goodness!), but I think folks should give TyrantSabre's LP of The Saboteur a watch. The game itself is by Pandemic, who were responsible for that lovely game known as Mercenaries 2. Anyhow, it's tightly-edited, has lots of nifty musical inserts, funny commentary, and Nazi-killin'. Oh, and bad accents (SKOYLUR :froggonk:).

Anyhow, I lost track of it when it was on-going, but noticed it on the archive the other day and have been zipping my way through it. Highly recommended :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Niggurath posted:

Maybe give Davidspackage LP of Stonekeep a try. Very informative commentary over a nice little slice of 90's WRPG'ing. It's especially nice if you've never heard of the series and you can get a good idea of the way the game was such a trainwreck.
Thirding this. Just tried it out for grins, and I'm really enjoying the LP :v: Largely because Stonekeep & Grimrock are the sorts of games that I want to be good at, but it always goes poorly. It's nice to see someone play it intelligently for a change :downs:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Lethemonster posted:

I need cheering up and distracting. Recommend me lots of funny LPs with more than one person in. Can be video or screenshot. Just make me happy again goons, heal my broken unlaughing heart.
Medibot and Kaz's LP of Kirby's Epic Yarn might be up your alley :v: Any of their LPs, really.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Are there any LP's out there that work well with just listening to the audio component of them?
Let's Play Dungeons & Dragons would definitely be something to give a shot. You really don't need the video component to follow what's going on :v: Additionally, there are MP3 versions set aside (podcasty format) which would be easier than streaming entire videos. They're pretty good about announcing most rolls, so it's not like you're blind as to how things are going. I honestly didn't know squat about D&D going in to it, and now I think I understand it enough to where I could play competently. To some degree. Possibly :saddowns:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

toanoradian posted:

Can someone recommend a Let's Play where someone beat a really difficult game with utter ease? Or at least relative ease? It doesn't have to be someone utilizing a glitch, just a really, really skillful Let's Player.
Accounting Nightmare's Devil May Cry LPs, definitely. I've also been meaning to watch Yosheque's Bayonetta LP, but from what I've seen, she's pretty good at it :staredog:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

davidspackage's LP of Stonekeep just finished up! It's a skilled run-through of the game, sprinkled with bits of information regarding the game's development and unfortunate flop. Can't recommend it enough! :v: Also, be sure to watch the videos he put together to address the ending, as well as the baking video. Yes, baking!

Kind of tied to this, Agent335's LP of Legend of Grimrock is a nice follow-up. Agent335 & Olesh make a number of Stonekeep & Eye of the Beholder references (which are, of course, pretty relevant given the game's dungeon-crawl nature), and it really helps drive home the care that the developers put in to making the game a throw-back to older titles of the genre. A skilled LP is one thing, but I really like hearing input from folks who played older titles and have something to relate it to.

Given how atrocious my coordination is in the game, a skilled playthrough is a welcome sight. Adding to that, it's a 100%-style run which is showing off all the secrets. Definitely give it a look if you enjoy the Stonekeep LP! They seem to go together quite nicely, in my opinion.

Edit: Coherency needed. Need caffeine.

Geop fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 11, 2012

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Gotta recommend that folks give the Amulets and Armor LP a look. It's a game that most folks probably never heard of, and it has some sort of a rough, aged charm to it :v: It's a Doom-era FPS RPG which never really got all that much attention.

Mzbundifund & Bacter are playing it co-op style, with each of them recording their perspective (much like the Left4Dead LPs were done). Mzbundifund is the more familiar of the two with the game, whereas Bacter is coming at it from a blind-ish approach. The editing is very nice, and, more importantly, the commentary and banter is quite entertaining. I ended up zipping through the episodes to date rather quickly :staredog: There should definitely be more folks following it.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Greekonomics posted:

helloitsdan and lithuanian dad have an iTunes feed that has their Mercs 2, Lost Planet 2, and Bionic Commando: Rearmed LPs on them.
Whoa, wait, I wasn't aware of their Bionic Commando LP :staredog: Thanks for the accidental heads-up!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Gushing Granny posted:

I'm looking for a relaxing Let's Play that I can unwind to, in the same vein as An Orbital Grouse's Endless Ocean LP (following Blue World already). I wish I could touch more fish :(
The laid-back-as-hell Kirby's Epic Yarn LP is an ideal LP to unwind to :v: Badump.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I'd like to recommend Viva Vizer's Mirror's Edge LP, which just wrapped up. He goes through the game rather organically, meaning he'll pan around kind of like "okay, this is where you need to go" like a first-time player would. UNLIKE a first time player, he pretty flawlessly tromps through the game :v: No goof-ups were left in the footage; speaking of which, he recorded it all at a pretty high quality. If you want a quick, laid back LP of a gorgeous game, definitely give it a look.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Dancer posted:

This may be a weird request, and I wouldn't be surprised is it's impossible to come up with something, but could someone recommend one (or more) LP's that one can follow mainly by listening? I want something to listen to while coding.
This might be up your alley, as well :v: Quite nice to listen to in the background.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Tobias Grant posted:

Can someone give me some recommendations for some good co-op LP's? I'm looking for ones similar to the Borderlands 1 and Resident Evil 5 LP.
The Amulets & Armor LP is a wonderful, jolly good time :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Niggurath has done 2, 3, 4.

Voidburger has done 1, Origins, and Shattered Memories.
You forgot the excellent Homecoming LP by Kamoc! :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I'll second Rooleelooo's Banjo-Kazooie LPs; good stuff :v: Kamoc's Silent Hill: Homecoming LP is definitely one of my favorites in that department.

Supergreatfriend has a few subbed LPs, as well:
http://lparchive.org/Shadow-Man/
http://lparchive.org/Sword-of-the-Berserk/
http://lparchive.org/D-and-D2/ (I think there are some voice segments in these; it's been a while)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

The Dead Rising 2 co-op style LP with ritcheyz & Skoolmunkee is pretty amazing; definitely give it a watch if you want some silly bro-op shenanigans! ritcheyz is pretty well-versed on the game, while Skoolmunkee is going through it blind. Given how these games have a nice amount of goofiness to 'em, things don't always go as planned; particularly when a bright, shiny new toy or snazzy outfit is lying about. I could go in to more detail, but I think this GIF will give you an idea of what I mean.

• Locked thread