Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

SIr_Lienad posted:

I've enjoyed both Mecca Prime's Link's Awakening LP and Metroixer's Pokemon LP, what others are similar to these?

Vicas did a sequence breaking run of Metroid Prime, and ElephantGun broke the everlasting gently caress out of FF6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Petz: Horsez 2 is another great shovelware game LP, like MvW.

(It seems that Chocolate Donuts backed it up on his YouTube account, in case you don't like blip, like me)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Just finished reading Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. It's a puzzle mystery game (I guess?), brought to us by the guy behind Ace Attorney series, Shu Takumi. Great art, great music, great plot, and it looks like it has a novel and unique gameplay gimmick.

Haifisch does a good job showing off everything the game has to offer, including random dialog bits from dead-ends, and letting the game speak for itself. I only wish there were a few more videos, as I'm not the best at orienting myself with an incomplete picture of the scene. Maybe that's just me, though.

Just a fair warning: some of the music links are dead. I'm also a fairly slow reader, and having to re-play the music tracks can get a bit annoying, so I recommend just finding the appropriate track in the extended soundtrack, and using that instead.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
"Murder mystery", but Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective has a lot of good going for it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Vinlaen posted:

Can anybody give me some recommendations on some video (not screenshot), really informative LP's? (I've searched on lparchive.org and it gave me a list but I'm not sure the quality of them)

Basically, I'm looking for an LP where somebody really knows a lot about the game and not just a bunch of idiots playing it together not really saying anything interesting...

(I'm espicially interested in Sierra games if any of that stuff exists with informative commentary but I'm open to all suggestions for anything interesting!)

Simply Simon did a good job with the Megaman games. Not sure what happened to him.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

Guess the reason nobody watched my Donkey Kong Land LP is me just turning spontaneously invisible. Happens to the best of us, I guess.

I didn't even know it existed.

Mico posted:

The reason I didn't watch DKL is because it kind of hurt my eyes. Those graphics do not work on a game boy I don't care how fun it is.

You weren't kidding.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Niggurath posted:

I think this was part of a GBS thread.

Yep.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501011

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I was a fan of Faceguy's Super Mario Sunshine and Paper Mario LPs.

Seems like the new thread never got archived. I don't know if that's just backlog or not. Thread's on the verge of going into the archives, but it's still around. First Paper Mario LP is up on the archives.

Going on right now, I'd highly recommend Some Strange Flea's Star Fox 64 run.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh, I forgot about Petz Horsez 2. Shovelware game that turns hilarious when the guy finds the texture resources to the game.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Materant posted:

You know you can't recommend this and not Musical Note Secret.

You can. It's not as funny. It sort of came with the whole "oh hey this is going to be a trainwreck let's make it a trainwreck ok go" sort of vibe that I felt was artificial and forced.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

Oh gently caress I always forget this one, and it's such a brilliant LP. It has actually funny rage (especially if you've played the game) and he pretty much makes the game his bitch by the end.

If you're curious, he's now the speedrunner known as "PEACHES_", holding the world record for this game along with several others. He can 100% the game with only one hand.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

I can't imagine there are many people in the subforum who aren't reading that thread to be honest.

jawbroken

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Niggurath posted:

The person who said that was semi-joking. A few videos where Blister guested in Wogturt's Paper Mario LP had a webcam shot of Blister using some webcam manipulation program. It was fairly funny actually but not an actual 'scare cam'.

There was also the Dynamic Blisters.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

...How the hell did I miss this?

It was from a Blackbelt Bobman thread.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

K-ParAdoX posted:

A thousand pages later and I'm still looking for that Metroid Prime LP, and I quoted the above post because the user name sparked a memory. Maybe this was it?

Yep, he did one. It's at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2750243

It looks like the videos are gone, though. Blackbelt Bobman, are you still out there?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Lobster posted:

I recently watched Vicas play Super Mario 64 with his feet, which was incredibly brilliant. That LP had mentions of Dazzling Addar's LP of DK 64, which, while not as brilliant, has still been pretty funny. I enjoy their style of commentary, their humor, and the fact that they play games I knew (or in the case of DK 64 at least had passing familiarity with) as a kid.

Going from there, any recs on what I should watch next?

They haven't really done anything else together. There was an abandoned Yoshi's Story LP on Dazzling Addar's YouTube account. You can also watch the Metroid Prime LPs, as those had Vicas in them somewhere. Other people mentioned Yoshi's Island.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Mario 64 race? In what thread?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Uh, you might have better luck with that in the sandcastle.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chulip

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
[MODE]. It's supergreatfriend.

It's a very nineties "choose your own adventure" FMV game which was critically panned*. People eventually make their way to the creator's website, who eventually ends up joining the forums, giving good information and generating excellent discussion in the thread.

So it transformed into one those LPs where the thread really enhances the experience.

There's a good amount to discuss, so I'll just leave it at that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

I recall a person who will install capture hardware on the 3DS, allowing you to capture 3DS video (in 2D of course) on your PC. Of course, it's also very expensive, so it's really only an option for those with a lot of money to burn.

http://www.3dscapture.com/

I've considered buying a 3DS, but yeah, it's expensive, and the capture hardware doesn't do 3D, nor does it capture things like accelerometer data, which I would need for any games I would like to LP.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

PantsBandit posted:

So this is going to be the vaguest request ever but I'm looking for video LPs that are legitimately funny. I don't really care if the gameplay or story is good, I just want to watch videos that make laugh. I have a lot of respect for Let's Plays that try to be humorous, but I find most of them fall flat for me. I really loved the Mercenaries 2 LP that Lithuanian Dad and Dan did, as well as the Tipping 40s Goldene Eye LP.

I finally got around to watching the rest of Sonic 2006 (I hadn't watched Shadow's and Silver's stories before), so that's going to be my recommendation for that. I found them legitimately funny.

You could always go back to the Freelance Astronauts and their Twilight Princess run. That's pretty good.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I totally forgot about that one. Go watch Hopkins: FBI.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
mp4 is, so http://bd.baldurk.org/1407/download/dynamicblisters.mp4

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hampooj posted:

davidspackage's Hopkins FBI - loving insane adventure game, great editing and commentary. Pretty chill too.

This is great even if you don't want to fall asleep, too.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Manofmanusernames posted:

Can someone recommend me good LPs of bad games? Besides pokecapn's sonic LPs. The more wretchedly bad the game the better.

Petz Horses 2

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=Yahtzee

Last Post        Jun 19, 2010 2:23 AM

No.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
According to the master list, there are four, and one is ongoing.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
There's lots in the Generic Race Thread. Sonic 06 is being planned, but people are still getting the game and everything.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
If you have an iOS device, Capcom released a not-bad port of it for iOS last year.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Not an SA LP, but SwordlessLink, a speedrunner, is currently doing an 101% Donkey Kong 64 LP that breaks the game to all hell and back, because the game is seriously broken. It does have some stupid "LIKE COMMENT SUBSCRIBE" annotations, but if you turn annotations off and ignore those, it's a cathartic, entertaining series that showcases him breaking the game over his knee.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

I'm not sure how you could miss this considering it's right there on every LP you just linked except for RE5 but

It looks like a banner ad. And the natural inclination is to follow the update links in the OP.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I should point out that if you like Deadly Premonition and would like to have the excellent opportunity to play it yourself, it's coming to Greenlight. It needs your help!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

I am the M00N posted:

Back when I worked in accounting I would have their lets plays running in the background while I worked. My coworkers thought I was listening to some obscure internet radio or something.

You were.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498544

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
So, Ultigonio has just finished his LP of Saira, a wonderful little Metroidvania done by Nifflas. Good writing, with a clever (and engaging, if I don't sound crazy for saying this) use of subtitles, and he knows exactly what to explain and how to tell a good story.

If you're looking for a chill LP of a chill game, take a look.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hopkins FBI and Star Fox 64 are excellent VLPs (please come back flea)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ice Phisherman posted:

If you're looking for something different than running, shooting, hiding and fighting games you should check out Dyslexitastic's High School Dreams: Best Friends Forever LP. The game is one of those gems for LP'ing that has this weird mix of terrible plot, occasional bugs and innovative ideas. I was laughing by fifteen seconds into the first video (the minute long intro) and sold by the end of the second when the two guys lp'ing this turn the character into what's known in the thread as the money tree.

Go watch it right now. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574594

Oh my god this is like Petz: Horsez II all over again. This is incredible so far, thanks for recommending.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

ThatPazuzu posted:

I like LPs of kind of obscure, bad games. Like, Chip Cheezum's You Testament or Dysexiatic's High School Dreams. Anyone have any recommendations?

Petz Horsez 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
From what I remember, Deceased Crab's La Mulana LP wasn't bad, and it was before the big drama blowup thing.

I didn't watch all of it, because I planned on playing through it one day (which I'm doing right now, thanks to the La Mulana 2 Kickstarter!. This game's hard.)

• Locked thread