Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Luquos posted:

Basically anything by Orange Fluffy Sheep will do you great. He just finished The World Ends With You.

The standout for me? http://lparchive.org/Digimon-World/

In it, he and another goon actually went into the game's code to work out something that had only been rumour and speculation up to that point.

Seconding OFS' stuff.

Dr. Pepper's Low Level FFV challenge is also a good one, if you like challenge runs. http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-V-Advance-%28by-Dr-Pepper%29/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I was reading through Thuryl's old King's Bounty thread the other day. Are there any other LPs of army-centric turn-based strategy games similar to that one? I'd like to avoid Final Fantasy Tactics or other JRPG-related games if at all possible.

I keep looking for a Heroes of Might and Magic LP but it seems like no one every finished one? I find that strange.

I can say that HoMM is a very long game to LP - VI is the one of the shortest of the more recent lot, and even that will take a good 80+ hours to play through all the campaigns, not even talking about re-doing certain fights or anything. Doing a megagame like III or V could easily take a year if one doesn't pace themselves. The other part is that before V, it was all text on-screen, which doesn't exactly make up for very entertaining stuff, especially since you'd go through months in-game with nothing very interesting going on. So there's a fair amount of large-effort-low-output going on.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The best part of that LP was the bafflement at the sky.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lance Streetman posted:

:psyduck:

I thought you were exaggerating about them losing their poo poo, but no. Goons literally lost it at the revelation that the sky was, in fact, a thing.

Let's be fair, in the game proper the 'sky' is really quite a small bit of the scene and it's in the background, with most of it predominantly grey with closed in walls. You tend not to see the full overview of the area much.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Are you planning to further subdivide the categories by genre, like RPG, FPS, etc.? Not sure if there'd be enough recommendations for each category but at least it might be a good reference point for people looking for something specific or for people to find holes in the list to recommend or LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

nine-gear crow posted:

Done.

Dirge of Cerbeus: Final Fantasy VII by TheDarkId - The Final Fantasy series hits its stupidest, and TheDarkId hits it right back, taking the piss out what has to be the worst video game Square has ever produced in a hilarious semi-narrative SSLP. I'm already loving this poo poo.

I'd be torn between recommending DoC, because it is a great LP of a stupid game, or NIER, because it is a great LP of a great game.

• Locked thread