Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Does anyone here like wrestling? Like really over-the-top batshit crazy storyline wrestling? Because Smasher Dynamo is doing an LP of Total Extreme Wrestling 2013. It's a text-based game where you essentially play as the GM of your own wrestling league, setting up matches and going through story lines and everything. The game, by Smasher's own admission, isn't that great, but what he's going with it really elevates things.

It's essentially a season of user-generated content wrestling. You can submit a wrestler/tag team/stable of wrestlers, suggest gimmicks and plot points and feuds and try to push things to their absolute insanest. Smasher's got a great sense of humour and a good writing style, both pluses for a largely text-base LP, but would definitely help if he had a wider audience/idea pool to help generate more content, as he's considering shutting it down, and I really don't want that to happen to because it's an absolute blast so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

David D. Davidson posted:

Also their experience of a Star Trek RP server is a thing of beauty.

Everyone freaking out when Maxwell accidentally initiates a saucer separation sequence in mid-warp is just beautiful.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pork Lift posted:

If someone else Let's peed Sprung I would definitely watch the hell out of that. It probably wouldn't spawn so many avatars though.

(EDIT: If anyone somehow missed them, slowbeefs sprung LPs are still some of the funniest threads I've read on this forum )

It's true. Every time I come across a picture of this motherfuker (which isn't all that often, honestly, but still), I instinctively hiss "Dickbag!" like I'm Jerry Seinfeld getting screwed over by Newman again.

That and the pepper spraying everyone.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Who played JFK reloaded horse again? I am in need of pitch black comedy.

That was also the Freelance Astronauts. JFK Reloaded.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

The Freelance Astronauts' Mass Effect LP has produced what I consider to be one of the funniest videos ever created. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddqHDVTzmxo

(Gonna echo the recommendations above mine though, go watch the Spoiler Warning one if you're looking for something more serious, but I just had to post that video).

I'm not gonna lie, for years my Xbox Live avatar motto was "spawn another tank."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Teddybear posted:

Whatever happened to the Freelance Astronauts? They just kinda fell off the face of the earth.

Murder suicide

They all got jobs in different states/cities and broke up. Maxwell Adams still did some LPs here and there, but I haven't encountered any of them on the forums since I've been here as a non-lurker. Maybe if we say their group name enough times it will conjure them out of the ether again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
SSLP

Roommates by Sketchie - They've done a wonderful job on something that's a pretty hard sell: an SSLP of a dating sim visual novel by Winter Wolves. However, the game itself is actually pretty funny and endearing most of the time, and Sketchie's handling the goofier parts of it with good humour. There's multiple story paths that are being explored without rehashing old material, including a pair of LGBT romance options too.

Multiple Commentators

Final Fantasy XIII by Artix and Fedule - A (mostly) informative VLP of FFXIII featuring a slew of guest commentators that's equal parts silly and serious and trying to explore the game in depth as opposed to just taking the piss out of it like PorkLift and waytead's LP of it--which is also amazing, by the way. Artix and Fedule are putting a shitton of effort into it, to the point of almost making slogging through XIII bearable.

Solo Commentary / Video
Xenoblade Chronicles by Lethemonster - A nice VLP of a truly great JRPG. She's being very thorough with the game, which has a lot of extra content to it in and of itself. The only hiccup is that she's prone to long stretches of inactivity due to health issues and other concerns, but she's doing a wonderful job with it regardless.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 8, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

While I appreciate the shout-out, you probably want this link, rather than whatever the hell you have in the post right now.

Whoops. My phone cut off the threadID number. :doh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Geop posted:

Also, I think maybe including one of TheDarkId's LPs would top off the SSLP section. I'm kinda done writing recommendations :staredog:

Edit: Was just thinking about that :allears:

Done.

Dirge of Cerbeus: Final Fantasy VII by TheDarkId - The Final Fantasy series hits its stupidest, and TheDarkId hits it right back, taking the piss out what has to be the worst video game Square has ever produced in a hilarious semi-narrative SSLP. I'm already loving this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm glad you used the term semi-narrative, because I was wondering if semi-narrative is a distinct category or not. Semi-narrative SSLP's tend to be mostly played straight and informative, but have a framing story, or add in commentary by in-universe characters which basically stays separate from on-screen events. An example is Tales of Graces (by wdarkk)

To me that's a bit different than full narrative LP's, where there is a great deal of additional content and is woven into on-screen events a lot. But the distinction is not always clear.

That was pretty much the thought I had when I made the distinction. It's something I'm doing right now in one of own LPs, and I'd be a little offended if it was written off by someone as a full-on narrative when I'm still quoting the game verbatim and nothing I add to it in terms of content or commentary is going to change the direction of the plot or what happens and I'm still addressing it like I'm presenting an interpretation of a video game to people rather than fanfiction that just so happens to have cool pre-made visual elements to it.

• Locked thread