Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm going to go ahead and give another nod to Fintilgin for his Kingdom Come thread. The updates can be a bit sporadic at times, especially now in the holiday season, but he always comes through and each one leaves me waiting desperately for the next to see what happens next. It's not a comedy laugh-fest or anything, but there's just something so awesome about seeing a small spinoff kingdom that historically floundered and collapsed become a huge world power over many centuries and, hopefully, eventually become the greatest nation there is. To me it's the best LP in the forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm going to second Let's Play Baseball Mogul. It's an amazing LP, one of the best ones ever written, and it wasn't even done in this forum! Gyroball is actually a professional writer and it shows. His updates are hilarious, it has a great story, and you don't need extensive knowledge of the game or its players since he pretty much makes up all the characters' personalities on the spot. I guess if you don't know anything at all about baseball you'll be completely lost at a few portions of it, but everyone else has to read it, without question.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I know it's redundant at this point since pretty much every single person who regulars this forum has seen it, but Schildkrote's Persona 3 thread is amazing. I just started reading it, myself, and it's surprisingly good. It's written as an in-character blog, and is something that would be really easy to gently caress up, but Schildkrote pulls it off. I'm kind of shocked that it only has one mention here so far. It's funny, well written, has just the right amount of viewer participation, and the game itself really is something to behold. If for some reason there's someone here who isn't following it, definitely check it out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If this thread is to be stickied, it would probably be better for someone to start a new thread with a better thread title and OP first.

Then again, how useful would this be as a sticky? Every LP has its rabid fans, even the terrible ones, and if this thread had a wider audience, eventually every LP in the forum would get mentioned here and there'd be no distinction between the really good and the not-so-good ones. The new harsh crit thread probably deserves to be stickied more than this thread.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jade Star posted:

I need a LP for my insomniac hours. Don't really care the genre but its gotta be video cause I'm not reading at 3am, and its gotta be looong. Really long. Hours and hours of content. And good. Being good is a plus too.

Hey you're seeking the same things I am! There's always obvious (and ever-present) suggestion of Sonic 2006, 20 hours of videos that range from 20 to 40 minutes per video. For whatever reason I decided to go back and rewatch the original Super Metroid LP and it's good for this. It doesn't last for a very long time but it's still funny, and the videos are long.

Oh, and you want long? Tremendously, incredibly loving long? San Andreas. It's 99 videos, each one at least 15 minutes or so. Whether it's actually good or not is up in the air, but they can have their moments, and if you're like me you weren't paying full attention to it most of the time anyways. And in that vain, the Vice City LP is probably half as long as the san andreas one, but it's actually funny most of the time!

I also used your 50 Mission Crush LP for this but I imagine that isn't much of an option.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chwoka posted:

I don't know where the right thread to say this is, but this is close enough. I remember a From Earth LP of Transport Tycoon, which I found really entertaining and would recommend reading. However, I wish to have a link to the thread, but I have no idea where to look in the archives. If anyone knows when (or even better, where) it was posted, I would be happy.

If this is against the rules of the thread, my apologies, I will blank this post.

This is what the Master List is for.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

iastudent posted:

This might come off as a weird request, but are there any recommendations for good LPs that never made it to completeness for whatever reason? I figured it would be better asking here than cruising randomly around the master list or archives. The most obvious one I can think of was Sartak's Super Mario Galaxy LP, since he infused some good humor into his work and had some good pacing with his star-per-video approach.

I remember Fishbus's Evil Genius threads being pretty good: Thread 1 Thread 2

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bozart posted:

Other than double secret of evermore, are there any LPs with shameless gamebreaking exploits? I love watching them for some reason.

There's the aforementioned Metroid Zero Mission thread where Krakhan is sequence breaking the hell out of the game. Also Maxwell Adams' LP of Twilight Princess isn't really an exploit run, it's an outright "hack the gently caress out of it" cheat run. It doesn't just break the game, it destroys it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jade Star posted:

Requested this a while ago, got some good results, need to ask again. I'm looking for insomniac style LPs. Video a must, gently caress reading while tired and can't sleep. Looking for VLP's that are kind of quiet, dark is a plus, uh just picture what you'd want to watch at 3am. Length is a good trait too, lots of hours to burn. Just for example, my last insomniac LP was watching Fahrenheit on the archives.

Jamesman's Chulip LP is great for this. It's not particularly long, but Jamesman has a quiet and somewhat deep voice, and his subdued commentary style is great for the otherwise insane game.

The game itself may be insane, but it's also very slow and deliberately paced, making it an easy watch. There's a few panic moments, but otherwise it's a fairly laid-back game considering the subject matter.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also remarkable is just how extensive each of those updates are. He doesn't go the lazy way out and just post one or two paragraphs describing the day. Each day is a big affair with extensive details about his and the japanese's actions, and his overall strategic plans.

The scary part is that in 2 years, the LP could still be going with literally hundreds of very extensive updates, enough to fill a history book. So, I guess the lesson is to start now if you're going to read that poo poo at all.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cuckoo posted:

Could anyone recommend more LPs that are funny in a terrible, painful sort of way like the Kaizo series or Sonic 2006?

Allow me to introduce you to the wonderful world of dongs.exe.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ice Cream Social posted:

The Super Metroid Limit LP is quite similar to Parallel Worlds.

It even had a thread hijacking that involved Diabeetus.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A while ago, someone was asking about good late night/insomniac LPs (I think it was jade star, but not sure and it doesn't really matter), and I've been watching Let's Play Demon's Souls. And man, it fits the bill perfectly. The game itself is contradictory in nature, it's extremely difficult, yet it's also a really subdued and muted experience. Squint tackles this game perfectly, with some expert play that makes the game look trivially easy, and provides very insightful commentary while keeping the tone soft and generally quiet. He's not afraid to shut up at moments and let the atmosphere of the game overtake you. It's also pretty long, allowing you to waste some long nights.

It is such a well done LP. The videos would have really suffered from multiple commentators or loudmouths, and would have been dreadfully dull with subtitles, so I'm really glad that somebody came along and did it right.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 18, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bummey posted:

There are only a few LPs that I've watched that I can even remember. Examples of ones I've seen and enjoyed are Jurassic Park Trespasser by Research Indicates and Mercenaries 2 by that one guy and Lithuanian Dad.

I'm looking for something well produced with good commentary. Something that's informative and shows off everything about a game like Trespasser, or plays on comedic points like Mercenaries 2. But not one where the player just babbles like an idiot non-stop -- everything by Psychedelic Eyeball, for instance.

Any suggestions?

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest Demon's Souls even though I just did last page. The commentary is very informative, interesting, and the LPer is very skilled at a game that is notorious for its absurd difficulty.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cryptobotanist posted:

Can someone reccomend me a good VLP with no guest commentators? I don't care if it's currently active or finished, voiced or subtitled, just something without additional people talking while one person is playing

Demon's Souls is fantastic.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, streaming HD video is a crapshoot for me. For starters, my single core processor isn't really up to the task. But some players are better at it than others. No disrespect to baldurk, but it seems like the player he uses isn't as good as, say, youtube's player. But of course, he's just a hobbyist and youtube is a professional massive site. And if I had a multi-core processor, it probably wouldn't even matter.

So I just download every HD video on the LP forum and I don't really see anything wrong with having to do this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MiniFoo posted:

I thought it was Oregon Trail, considering the thread tag for LPs.

Screenshot LPs have been around a lot longer than VLPs have.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Proton Jon posted:

I seem to remember people saying that Oregon Trail was the first to use the term "Let's Play", that's why when they made that thread icon that's the game that was used.

Final Fantasy 6 might be the first one to use it, actually. It's the first one I remember seeing. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1755353 http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/FF6/

edit: Man, 30 page thread with 87 updates, and it took a whopping 6 days. Those were the days.

Oh, that thread's OP specifically mention other Let's Play threads. So I really dunno what's the first one.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 8, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jade Star posted:

Once again posting to ask for late night insomnia VLP recommendations. Looking for fairly mellow energy level LPs, being dark and chill is a good thing, and hopefully lots and lots of hours to watch. Had some good calls come out of the last times I've asked. So give me another batch.

Things that have worked well were things like Fatal Frame and The Void for being slow paced while till interesting as gently caress. And dark! But other things work too, Bionic Commando, Yakuza, Alone in The Dark (2008), Condemned... So on.

I don't remember if I linked you to Demon's Souls last time you made this request, but if you haven't checked it out, it's an excellent LP. Dark, slow paced gameplay, relaxed commentary, lengthy, it's great for this. http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/DemonsSouls/

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Now that it's over, I'm going to recommend everyone watch World of Goo by LesBeardly. A really well done LP of a tremendous game that is worth at least watching once if you aren't going to play it. It's short, only 2-3 hours, so it's not going to take a lot of your time. Just watch it. The reason why I waited until it's over the recommend it is because it's probably best to watch it all in 1-2 sittings. The game actually has a lot of momentum to it in the latter half. LesBeardly did a really good job with his daily update schedule, but even one day breaks between the levels can be killer. Watch it all at once and experience the joy that is World of Goo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Thesaya posted:

I am looking for LPs in the vein of SGFs Deadly Premonition, Voidburgers SH and SH Origins, Geops AC and Shadow of the Colossus or Bobbin Threadbares THief LPs. I guess they have in common that they are about showing off the game and any beratement of the games are made lovingly. Informational LP's I suppose. I mostly watch LPs to watch games I am too chicken to watch myself, I haven't had the console for, or simply never got around to play. I am a very thorough player myself (adventure gamer) so blind runs and speed runs doesn't appeal to me in most cases. I am also enjoying the DnD LP by Wolfshirt and company and the Star Saga One LP. Preferrably VLPs except for text based games.
Anyone have a recommendation for me?

I was going to recommend Demon's Souls but Major_JF beat me to it. It's a really great LP.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Raocow probably peaked on the Second Reality Project Reloaded, which also happens to be really excellent romhack. I've watched a few of his projects since he stopped LPing here and some of them were good, some weren't, it's pretty hit or miss.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jive One posted:

Can anyone recommend any satirical remasters of LP's? For example like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/user/retsupurae

That's basically what Retsupurae is. The recent videos have all been different but go back and you'll find a couple hundred videos mocking other LPs.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Agent355 posted:

Squint's LP does in fact look amazing. It's too bad there isn't a dark souls LP out yet, I just finished playing it (got about half way through) and it would be nice to see what happens when you beat the boss I got stuck on.

Squint did say in the Dark Souls thread in games that he was planning on LPing it. I'm looking forward to it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Micawber posted:

Neither! Just someone with low standards apparently.

Don't feel bad, it was a really fun video, they're funny guys and yeah they're immature but it's not like Something Awful is a great bastion of maturity as it is. Who cares?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

EricFate posted:

Over the holiday they played through Cargo. Pipes and Ferr were both in attendance.

Is this chronicled anywhere?

I'll third Mercenaries 2, and also be in utter disbelief that I'm only the third person to recommend it. It seriously is the funniest LP ever put on this forum. It had me in hysterics since the first update, practically.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Niggurath posted:

Actually thought that Davidspackage LP of Hopkins FBI was pretty funny due to it being an extremely odd and violent adventure game.

This LP is amazing due to Davidspackage's deadpan delivery for what is an astonishingly awful game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

hectorgrey posted:

I'd love to see an LP of an RPG in which evil options are actually intelligent, instead of the bog standard "Give me your gold or die. Great, I've got your gold, now die". While I loved some of KOTOR 2's evil options (You will give me all your money and jump to your doom "Yes, it's quicker to the bottom that way!" was awesome), the idea of playing an evil bastard who works to his own ends without being psychotic is cool, yet 90% of RPGs present that as the neutral option...

Alpha Protocol has extremely well done moral decisions. It's more like Mass Effect where it's where the choices are more or less between rear end in a top hat and rear end kisser, except the choices exist more in a grey area, usually. And there's no dumb morality point system and no being locked out of dialog options. And your choices actually cause tangible events to happen and don't just increase something on your stat sheet.

To make this relevent to the thread, CirclMastr's LP of Alpha Protocol is pretty dang good, and lengthy. It's still ongoing, but he completed the game once and recently started a second playthrough.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Niggurath posted:

Anything by RChimpCola is amazing. Or you could watch any other LP by Chip and General Ironicus since they're pretty consistently funny. Also Dongs.exe is always a classic.

RChimp's RE5 LP is pretty incredible.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There sure are a lot of off-site LPs being recommended lately! I guess there's enough of people doing actual decent stuff out there on youtube and other places that some of them are bound to be actually pretty good.

The only Minecraft LP I could ever truly recommend to anyone is the "OOGE" LP of a custom map called Spellbound Caverns. It's a three person LP, with a viewpoint of each player (BDoubleO, Guude, and Etho, hence the weird acronym name OOGE). This isn't a typical Minecraft LP, because the map they're playing is a highly structured and very difficult challenge map. No aimless wandering around, punching trees, or building lovely houses. They also do some editing, so the most tedious or boring stuff isn't in the videos. The personalities are pretty endearing. Guude and BDoubleO have a lot of history and have good chemistrym and are pretty funny, but totally incompetent. Etho is a fairly skilled player and extremely knowledgeable, but manages to fit in pretty well. Even when they're all dying repeatedly, it's still entertaining. With only a few exceptions, any downtime one player is having is mitigated by the fact that all three players record it, you can just watch another's viewpoint instead. The first couple videos aren't the best as they die repeatedly and don't have a great game plan. But once they get into a groove, it becomes quite entertaining.

Anything else these guys do isn't particularly great, but for some reason I really enjoyed that one video series.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lucinice posted:

I haven't seen a really good funny LP in a while. Something like freelance astronauts where the person/people playing the game are funny and the game itself is funny. Anyone got suggestions?

http://lparchive.org/Mercenaries-2/

One of the best there is.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

slowbeef posted:

...How the hell did I miss this?

He has done some truly frightening things with his green screen, things best left unsaid, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

fivre posted:

Recently finished the Kung Fu Jesus pokecapn Kaz medibot Mario Party LP. What's something else like this and the T40's NSMB LP with 4 people playing a multiplayer game and trying to screw each other over royally?

The Freelance Astronauts' New Super Mario Bros Wii LP was somewhat good. http://lparchive.org/New-Super-Mario-Bros-Wii/

• Locked thread